Wiki Posts
Search

Putting stuff in the overhead bin...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:25 am
tjl
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Question Putting stuff in the overhead bin...

During boarding, it is often possible to put stuff in the overhead bin while standing in the aisle seat area if no one is sitting in the aisle seat yet, leaving the aisle free to allow others to go by.

But most people stand in the aisle when putting stuff in the overhead bin, even when the aisle seat is unoccupied, blocking the aisle. Why?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:55 am

Because it's easier.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Platinum, National Executive, SPG Platinum
I usually tend to blame such things on infrequent travelers, but I find myself wondering if maybe that's too simplistic. I think we all have days where we're not the sharpest tools in the metaphorical shed.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Have you known anyone who had a hernia operation from heavy lifting from an awkward angle? That's why. I'm not going to have surgery, possibly more than one surgery, because somebody is in a hurry. Sheesh. What's the matter with people?

Originally Posted by tjl
During boarding, it is often possible to put stuff in the overhead bin while standing in the aisle seat area if no one is sitting in the aisle seat yet, leaving the aisle free to allow others to go by.

But most people stand in the aisle when putting stuff in the overhead bin, even when the aisle seat is unoccupied, blocking the aisle. Why?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 7:56 am

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
I would agree that the first person to put something in the bin might be able to step into the row of seats and do this - however...

Once there are a few items in the bin it (seems like every time that I am putting in my bag) I need to reorganize/move/shuffle items already in the bin (to squeeze in another bag) requiring me to walk up and down the aisle to access the full length of the bin.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by tjl

Only if (1) there is space in the overhead bin immediately above the aisle seat and (2) if the bin does not extend so far out that you have to basically reach over backwards to put something in.

Most people are shorter than bin height (which stands to reason) so to actually put something in the bin they have to some distance away from the bin itself.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. i'm 75 and had a stroke. i have never had a passenger or a FA offer to put my bag up. carry a cpap.

2. my wife is 67, and about 5'4". i have never seen anyone offer to help her with her bag.

3. i have never seen one of these strong young handsome men stop while boarding to help someone who obviously needs help. help is usually offered by 50ish year old men.

4. all the pretty boys are in a hurry to get their seats and turn on their electronic gear. particularly if they have an aisle seat.

if the airline wanted to reduce turnaround time, they would instruct FA's to help pack the overheads.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by tjl

I have had people take the overhead bin I had targeted when I stepped aside to adjust and put my own bag in. If I had stayed where I was and blocked their access I could have gotten my targeted space as I was in the line in front of them. Also I find it somewhat of an awkward angle to put a 20"+ bag into the overhead bin while standing in the aisle seat area. For me it's so much easier if I am directly in front of when lifting my bag up. What works for you doesn't work for all.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Putting stuff in the overhead bin...

Your wife must look more competant than I do. I am 79 and 5 foot 6. I have never ever flown when someone did not offer to help me put my bag in the overhead. And that includes my last Delta trip to Germany when the group of handsome young men opposite me about ran the plane out of drinks but got up twice to help me .
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by gungadin
Your wife must look more competent than I do. I am 79 and 5 foot 6. I have never ever flown when someone did not offer to help me put my bag in the overhead. And that includes my last Delta trip to Germany when the group of handsome young men opposite me about ran the plane out of drinks but got up twice to help me .
I fly nearly every week and I would say the amount of times I see someone assist a woman with lifting a bag into or out of the overhead bin is 10% for the elderly woman and 70% for the pretty shapely well dressed 20 or 30 year old woman. You are fortunate that someone helps you frequently however that is not what I am seeing on the flights I fly on which are all over the US and internationally as well. I fall into neither category and can lift my own bag.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peachfront
Have you known anyone who had a hernia operation from heavy lifting from an awkward angle? That's why. I'm not going to have surgery, possibly more than one surgery, because somebody is in a hurry. Sheesh. What's the matter with people?
Yeah. If it's light I would do it from there (and I have done so in the past) but it's a bad position to be lifting something heavy into the overheads.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slawecki
1. i'm 75 and had a stroke. i have never had a passenger or a FA offer to put my bag up. carry a cpap.

2. my wife is 67, and about 5'4". i have never seen anyone offer to help her with her bag.

3. i have never seen one of these strong young handsome men stop while boarding to help someone who obviously needs help. help is usually offered by 50ish year old men.

4. all the pretty boys are in a hurry to get their seats and turn on their electronic gear. particularly if they have an aisle seat.
My 4'10" wife has had no problem getting help from other passengers with the overheads--they're obviously completely beyond her. She couldn't put an empty bag up there.

if the airline wanted to reduce turnaround time, they would instruct FA's to help pack the overheads.
Liability.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Silver
I'm disabled. The FA's always help put my bag in the overhead. (they then get some chocs off me for the FA's -they work so hard, I think they deserve a treat)
Old Sep 8, 2012, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel

Liability.
what liability? of course there is liability for every motion by FA's. they are employees of the company.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by slawecki
what liability? of course there is liability for every motion by FA's. they are employees of the company.
I'd guess it's more about the union contract than liability. That or the airlines trying to limit their liability for back injuries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.