Wiki Posts
Search

Would you share a room with a stranger?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Not a chance.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: Amex platinum, LeClubAccor Plat, Club Carlson gold, Hilton HHonours Diamond
No problem

A few years at boarding school, then various rugby tours and a fair bit of travelling means that sharing a room is ok.

As for snoring - well, I snore louder. Apparently.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Unless you count Hostels (I have stayed in a few in the past during my study abroad trip to Europe two summers ago) I wouldn't stay with a stranger in a hotel room. I like my privacy and who knows how strange/unusual the stranger could be.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by Bttc
Wow. That's kind of paranoid. If you can't trust your best friend, who can you trust?
I probably didn't explain right. All of us have our own quirks & at the end of the day we go to our own rooms. Nothing to do with not trusting them, but again as far a stranger never.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Earlier this year, I shared a room with a Flyertalker I'd met only briefly so he was basically a stranger, it worked out fine. I'm an easy going guy and I don't really travel with valuables so I'd probably do it. Besides, I'm a big guy and look intimidating when I'm angry...or so I'm told
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Other than staying in hostels when I was younger, no way. I'm a woman and need to think about safety.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
Okay, perhaps a bit off topic, but several years ago my step daughter asked if I would share a hotel room with her mother for our granddaughter's graduation in Hartford, CT. I told her: "I shared a husband with her, might as well share a room!" Actually a little wierder than sharing with a stranger.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by Redhead
Other than staying in hostels when I was younger, no way. I'm a woman and need to think about safety.
Of course you have to be careful. Sharing a room with anyone could be disastrous even with some one you know. Heck, even some marriages are a disastrous.
Since some people feel that they have to defend their choice, I would like to add that sharing a room with a stranger is not a virtue, nor not wanting to share, lack of character.
It's strictly a personal matter of choice.
It's got to do with how we evaluate risk. We over/under eastimate risks based on how we process information available to us.

Last edited by Yaatri; Jul 29, 2012 at 5:27 am
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
After doing some thinking I'm going to amend my answer of never to maybe if it were a Flyer Talker "I know" & what I mean by that I feel like I know so many you even though we've never meet in person. But again I wouldn't consider those folks as strangers . So real strangers the answer is still no. Guess I've really confused you now
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Two different examples from me where it worked out.

We were in NZ a couple of years ago (and we are not of the backpacker age) and our flight out of Queenstown was fogged out so we decided to drive to Christchurch to try to meet another flight. We rented the last car, and there was another couple behind us who also wanted to drive. My husband and I looked at each other, and decided to share our rental car with two people we had never met for a 6.5 hour drive. It all worked out fine, we stopped for lunch together, helped each other with re making airline arrangement in chistchurch.

Also, in NZ I went on three day hike (again not of backpacer age) where you shared rooms each evening male and female in bunk beds, Japanese, European, folks from downunder. My husband did not go with me, and I didnt know a single person. When people at home asked, how could you sleep in a room with strangers, I replied, They werent strangers, I had hiked with them all day!

Sometimes you have to take a chance. I know it doesnt always work out, but when it does it reinforces the commonality of people and keeps you hopeful and optimistic, which all things considered, Id rather be.

Im glad it worked out.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 8:03 pm

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Excluding hostels and friends, I'd generally have to say no but there are a few exceptions.

If it was someone I had gotten to know over a few hours or so and my gut feeling was that things would be ok then maybe. I've learnt to trust my gut and I think I'd be more worried about getting ripped of, shot, or whatever while I was asleep than any sort of violence or other issue while I was awake.

Also, lets be honest, isn't that exactly what most single males (and more than the occasional female) are trying to do when they're still in the bar/nightclub/whatever at 0200?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Do cruises count? If you're traveling solo, you will be forced to share your cabin with a stranger.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
Do cruises count? If you're traveling solo, you will be forced to share your cabin with a stranger.
This must depend on the cruise line. I cruise solo when Mr. Only doesn't want to go, and I have the cabin all to myself. I book as solo and pay 160% of the per-person doubles rate.

I would not like to be "forced" to share, but sometimes when it is voluntary, I agree to it.

From time to time I go to Esalen Institute in Big Sur, California,where they assign same-gender roommates (they have very few single rooms there), which has generally worked quite well for me. Another time I attended an international peace conference in Jerusalem, and signed up for a "shared room" as it was much less expensive than a single room. My roommate was terrific and we are still friends.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:34 pm

I've shared a room with a stranger multiple times with no problems, but the circumstances weren't particularly risky. An adventure travel company that I've used a few times offers the option to room with a fellow traveler on the tour as an alternative to paying the single supplement. Rather than finding it an uncomfortable experience, I've enjoyed the chance to get to know my fellow travelers better. (We tended to change roommates in every city on the tour.)

Also, I roomed with a friend of the groom when I traveled to a wedding once, and it worked out quite well. The groom was my friend, too, so I trusted his judgment.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:44 pm

If the situation is such, like being stuck at the airport with cancelled flights, I probably would.
I'd have to let the other person know about my snoring

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.