Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Would you share a room with a stranger?

Old Jul 28, 12, 8:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I am talking about a total stranger whom you have just met?
I did, once, my first time in Amsterdam.

I had a scheduled and involuntary, 22 hour layover in AMS. There was no way for me to get into AMS before the only flight to my destination left.

I was waiting in a queue at a hotel desk in AMS when I heard the agents say, "No more singles". Double room cost quite a bit more than a single room.
I asked the guy in front of me if he would consider sharing a double room, as there are no more singles. He, a South African fellow, was all for it. I was returning from an acoustics conference in Luxembourg and he was on his way to a conference.
He was quite familiar with the city, which helped me prepare for a trip to AMS with my wife a few months later. We went into town and met one of his friends, a Heineken salesman, who treated us to lunch. and invited us to a Heineken bottling plant, which we couldn't do.
It worked out quite well. Could have been bad.
Old Jul 28, 12, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Thousands of backpackers around the world cram themselves into hostels together without any issues. While not something I relish I certainly didn't mind when I was in college and backpacking around Europe and Japan. It was fun when I was 20.

Made a lot of friends that way and I still talk to a few of them.
Old Jul 28, 12, 9:03 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
There are situations (like what you've described) under which I'd consider it. There was a time when I was younger and enjoyed hostelling when I wouldn't even have batted an eye.
Old Jul 28, 12, 9:04 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
There could be situations where I would do this. If one ever stays in a Hostel they are essentially bunking with strangers. Issues here though could be incidentals and potential damages. Is there anything to protect you from paying expenses he may incur?

The only thing is that I am now reminded of the line "those aren't pillows" :-)
Old Jul 28, 12, 9:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Of course, hostelling involves a lot of sharing. I was not thinking of hostels though. I am a life time member of Youth Hostels (now called HI).
I have stayed in a shared room in a hostel, as well as a private room. I have even used a hostel with my family if they had a family room or we could get the whole room. Some hostels are quite nice, no less than a nice Guesthaus. There was one in Austria with two levels, like an art studio.

When you stay in a hostel, people you share a room with are already registered as guests with the hostel. In a way, they are indirectly "known" to you or introduced to you by the hostel, so to speak.

I don't know how hostelling would work for me with my CPAP.
Old Jul 28, 12, 9:30 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Of course, but it's usually a hostel or similar type situation. Not some guy I met at the airport. No reason it wouldn't work out fine for a big guy like you, Yaatri. We little people have to be a bit more skittish.

Originally Posted by Yaatri View Post
I am talking about a total stranger whom you have just met?
I did, once, my first time in Amsterdam.

I had a scheduled and involuntary, 22 hour layover in AMS. There was no way for me to get into AMS before the only flight to my destination left.

I was waiting in a queue at a hotel desk in AMS when I heard the agents say, "No more singles". Double room cost quite a bit more than a single room.
I asked the guy in front of me if he would consider sharing a double room, as there are no more singles. He, a South African fellow, was all for it. I was returning from an acoustics conference in Luxembourg and he was on his way to a conference.
He was quite familiar with the city, which helped me prepare for a trip to AMS with my wife a few months later. We went into town and met one of his friends, a Heineken salesman, who treated us to lunch. and invited us to a Heineken bottling plant, which we couldn't do.
It worked out quite well. Could have been bad.
Old Jul 28, 12, 10:30 am
Suspended

Only during one night stands. And even then I used to try and get her to leave before she spent the night.
Old Jul 28, 12, 11:15 am

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Nope

I like my privacy. Plus it might not be secure. You never know if somebody might be trying to take advantage of a situation.
Old Jul 28, 12, 11:22 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
S & S

I would be concerned about the safety of my belongings, and that the other guy might snore.
Old Jul 28, 12, 11:42 am

Several times in the past I've shared rooms with other folks in the various hiking forums in which I participate. Not one of them has killed or robbed me.
Old Jul 28, 12, 11:47 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
For safety & security reasons no. I don't even share with best friends. At the end of the day we each go to our own rooms.

Last edited by coachrowsey; Jul 28, 12 at 11:48 am Reason: Added last sentences.
Old Jul 28, 12, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
no chance
Old Jul 28, 12, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by coachrowsey View Post
For safety & security reasons no. I don't even share with best friends. At the end of the day we each go to our own rooms.
Wow. That's kind of paranoid. If you can't trust your best friend, who can you trust?
Old Jul 28, 12, 1:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Would you offer to share your room with a stranger?
I misconnected in MEM and was given a hotel voucher at the gate my flight had departed from. A man and his teenage son, from another flight, had missed the flight (not due to mechanical irrops). They were arguing with the GA for a hotel room, "Why should we be expected to fend for ourselves....etc.".
When I offered to share my room with them, without charge, of course. I figured, my room had two queen size beds. The father and the son would have a bed, if they shared one bed, and a place to shower before their flight the following morning. They turned my offer down in the futile hope that the airline would give them a room. From their looks the following morning, they spent the night at the airport.
Old Jul 28, 12, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by pinworm View Post
Only during one night stands. And even then I used to try and get her to leave before she spent the night.
Pinworm certainly is an apt choice of name.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: