Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

So is capacity growing or shrinking now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

I have been observing things and it seems in the last few months there have been some surprises. I dare say capacity seems to be increasing.

What do you think?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:15 pm
Suspended

You mean full flights? I think it may be an illusion created by less available flights filling up what is left.

But with airlines putting more and smaller seats in aircraft, adding rows etc, capacity is increasing.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:16 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Why guess, all the numbers are here from 2000 to March of this year

http://www.transtats.bts.gov/Data_Elements.aspx?Data=1

and links to things like load factors, etc.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I think OP means amount of seats being flown, not necessarily number of people in them. Is that correct?

Also, the link Cordelli posted (thanks) does show available seat miles and a quick look at first 3 month 2012 vs 2011 does seem to show a little growth in seat miles. But I suspect there is significant variance across carriers.

Last edited by JMN57; Jul 11, 2012 at 8:36 pm
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JMN57
I think OP means amount of seats being flown, not necessarily number of people in them. Is that correct?

Also, the link Cordelli posted (thanks) does show available seat miles and a quick look at first 3 month 2012 vs 2011 does seem to show a little growth in seat miles.

Yeah. Just getting tired of seeing so many regional jets around. But then I think...out of GRR I am surprised by the amount of flights we have coming in and out now. It's frankly a "busy" airport now. I am not old enough to really know the industry, but for instance it seems surprising that GRR offers flights to DFW, DTW, ORD, CLE, DEN, MCO, BWI, YYZ, TPA, FLL, LAS, SFB, AZA, PIE, CVG, MSP, LGA, EWR, AND IAH.

This seems like a lot of flights, a lot of capacity, and a lot of competition - all from a relatively small airport that seems to be getting busier all the time.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:45 am
Suspended

It depends on the time periods we are using. Compared to volume in the 50's, 60's, 70's 80's capacity is trending consistently upwards. Flights have become a fraction the cost of what they were back then and more people use it as transportation. Meanwhile rail and bus travel has been going down in the same time period. Thanks to LCC's (Low CLASS Carriers ha ha ha) like Southworst and Sleasy Jet flying has become accessible to the proletariat.

But looking at shorter periods I am sure we can see a decrease since 2008 when the economy tanked in earnest. I think we are not back up to 2006 numbers yet, at least that is something I read a few months ago.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Looking at one airport can sometimes be misleading. I have clients in Lansing who often drive to GRR because of the presence of carriers such as Frontier and AirTran who do not fly to Lansing and who induce lower fares across the board at GRR vs LAN.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by factory81
Yeah. Just getting tired of seeing so many regional jets around. But then I think...out of GRR I am surprised by the amount of flights we have coming in and out now. It's frankly a "busy" airport now. I am not old enough to really know the industry, but for instance it seems surprising that GRR offers flights to DFW, DTW, ORD, CLE, DEN, MCO, BWI, YYZ, TPA, FLL, LAS, SFB, AZA, PIE, CVG, MSP, LGA, EWR, AND IAH.
That's pretty impressive. Grand Rapids has about the same population as Spokane (GEG), my home airport. Yet the number of cities served by GRR is double that of GEG.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
That's pretty impressive. Grand Rapids has about the same population as Spokane (GEG), my home airport. Yet the number of cities served by GRR is double that of GEG.
The issue, I think, is not the population of Grand Rapids vs Spokane per se but the population density of the surrounding 100-150 miles. I have not done any calculations myself, but I would guess the latter calculation would be much greater for Grand Rapids than for Spokane. After all, GRR is only about 130 miles from Chicago and 120 miles from Detroit and there are many cities and towns with substantial populations within that range.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, some of those are Airtran flights and GRR is pretty confident they will keep Airtran's flights and possibly even pickup flights from Southwest. It does impress me though quite a bit.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
I haven't seen it, flights are still really full and changing a flight is a nightmare. I have a friend on a 2 day lay-over in Nashville because his flight was cancelled last night and the next available flight out for him is Monday morning. Though I think he is on SWA, which would explain why he cannot just get moved to another airline.

I think things are still pretty tight right now, especially this Summer with getting flights and seats.

-Patrick
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:41 am
Original Poster

You're not going to believe this, but they are actually increasing the size of Concourse B even at GRR now. This is getting to be awesome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.