Best airlines for long-haul in Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2012, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)

OK, so I'm heading to Sydney from my home airport (MAN) in economy and I had a choice of about 7 airlines with reasonable connections. In the end I picked SQ because of their reputation as a 5* airline, and because I am *G. I found the product so far (I've just done the short hop to MUC) to be reasonable (I'm not squashed even though I'm 6'2") but not 5*. It looks like the Skytrax ratings are top-heavy based on the F and J product. Does that sound fair?

Anyway, what airlines would FT Y-flyers prefer to fly with on long haul and why?

What surprises and/or disappointments has everyone had?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 6:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle

I flew EK for the first time earlier this year. Went LAX-DXB and DXB-SEA on flights that were comfortable and had decent food. Seats reclined quite far. The only issue I had was that reclined seats in the forward row left little room to maneuver when entering or exiting.

The crews were great in both directions, but some passengers (especially on DXB-SEA) were pretty savage. That being said I was pleased overall and wouldn't hesitate to fly EK again.

Last edited by rwinn; Jun 3, 2012 at 10:30 am Reason: More grammer and spelling. (Apparently I should be careful when posting from my phone.)
Old Jun 3, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Are you strictly flying Y or Y+ is good for you as well?
IF you can fly Y+, then CX or QF should be your best bet.
If you are strictly Y flyer, then I'd choose TG for extra legroom.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Transpacific Y on Korean Airlines has been working out fine for me the last few years. The service I've experienced on roughly a dozen IAD-ICN-BKK rountrips has been, as a rule, attentive and friendly. IFE is great, 34" pitch, and in-seat power for most seats. These days I hardly miss the premium economy on the discontinued JFK-BKK Thai Air nonstop. Even better, the Y fare on KE is quite reasonable when compared to other major Asian airlines.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Asiana Airlines, no question. Why, because they simply have the best economy product! They do not service Manchester, sorry (LHR in the UK).

(Asiana and Korean, both based in Seoul, ROK are both excellent - Asiana is 5* and Korean is 4*)
Old Jun 3, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
My favourite is SQ, followed by MH, CX and TG. With SQ, you can always be sure of newer aircrafts, great inflight entertainment and more than decent cabin meals.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by Daawgon
Asiana Airlines, no question. Why, because they simply have the best economy product! They do not service Manchester, sorry (LHR in the UK).

(Asiana and Korean, both based in Seoul, ROK are both excellent - Asiana is 5* and Korean is 4*)
I agree that Asiana is pretty good! I have no problem with driving down to LHR to get a good connection on a good airline, but as I'm only 35 miles from MAN it would have to be pretty damn good.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sllee
My favourite is SQ, followed by MH, CX and TG. With SQ, you can always be sure of newer aircrafts, great inflight entertainment and more than decent cabin meals.
Not so sure I agree about the cabin quality, however, this is based on a sample group of 1 (MAN-SIN via MUC). Don't get me wrong, the cabin was much better than any US-based airlines I have ever flown on, but it wasn't as good as, say Asiana. Why? No AC power socket in my seat and no personal air blowers mainly, but also too few WC's IMO.

A major positive is that I'd also have to say that the cabin crew were the best I've ever had. Fast service when I pressed the call bell and nothing was too much trouble - none of this sighing in passive-aggressive way you get with BA...

Biggest downside? The food. It was atrocious. Thank god I pigged out in the MUC SEN lounge...
Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kkjay77
Are you strictly flying Y or Y+ is good for you as well?
IF you can fly Y+, then CX or QF should be your best bet.
If you are strictly Y flyer, then I'd choose TG for extra legroom.
TG is Thai, right? I'd never even considered them! I honestly don't think it came up in my Expedia search...
Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:10 pm

I was pretty happy with my SQ flight in Y. It had the advantage of being a pretty new A380 and on the upper deck no less. But the service was friendly and helpful, the food was quite edible and ample, there were self-serve snacks, there were hot towels and an amenity kit. Not sure what else I could have expected in Y.

I would recommend ordering the Asian noodle dish and not the English breakfast though.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Oh yes... I suppose the metal is quite important. I was on a B777-300 to SIN where I am now. My onward journey is on the same type. It will be interesting to see what the difference between the 777 and the A380 will be when I head home.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
I've only had older TG planes and found it a bit cramped (6'1", solid build) - though better than Air China, shoulders jammed going through the galley section.

QF flight in Y on A380 SIN-SYD last week and it seemed modern and with leg room, it felt very claustrophobic when the seat in front was reclined. (747 QF flights in the other direction felt very old and worn out)

SQ and EK have been my favourites for Y (I've never used Asiana or Korean)
Old Jun 3, 2012, 7:13 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
It's not the airline, it's you.

You need to be under 6'-0" tall, the further under the better.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:12 pm

If you don't mind the lack of AVOD then some of the older-style seats can be really comfortable and have significantly larger tray tables...
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:08 am

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by roberino
TG is Thai, right? I'd never even considered them! I honestly don't think it came up in my Expedia search...
Yes, TG is Thai Airways Int'l.
I didn't even think about KE or OZ because I was the under the impression that the routing will be much longer than CX/MH/SQ/TG (MAN-LHR/FRA/etc-BKK/HKG/KUL/SIN-SYD compared to MAN-LHR/FRA/etc-ICN-SYD).
But after checking the great circle mapper, at least the distance isn't that different (not so sure about how well timed the connection is, though).
So, both KE and OZ should be a good choice as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.