Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tricky situation! Free flight?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2012, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Tricky situation! Free flight?

So here is the situation, a friend of mine is a pilot for United and has flight vouchers expiring at the end of this month. The vouchers put you on as standby, so very popular routes are hard.

Here's what I am looking for:

I am looking to go somewhere for about 4 days.
  • I'd prefer weekends, but I understand because of my circumstances, weekdays would probably be easier.
  • Looking for cities that you don't need to rent a car
  • Would prefer international, but domestic suggestions are welcomed
  • I have been looking at Europe but am open to all suggestions

I would love to hear some suggestions of places, hotels to stay at and things to do. Hopefully I can get some good reply's and find a place.

Thanks.
Old May 12, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
I like London and San Francisco for short trips. Both have good public transportation.
Old May 12, 2012, 7:52 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
What city are you starting from? That would help narrow the options.
Old May 12, 2012, 8:00 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
your friend should be able to check on loads for various reasonably close in flights... my niece is a fa & has access....
Old May 13, 2012, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Going to be starting from NY, and yeh they can check the flight loads. London was booked up, unfortunately.
Old May 13, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Any large city in Europe, Asia, North/South America, etc will have transportation from the airport to the city center.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this "50% off" vacation (assuming airfare would have been 50% of your total travel costs)?
Old May 13, 2012, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Somewhere with multiple flights in 1 day, get there for the first, by the 10th you might get lucky! A friend does the London-NY often (her best friend is a pilot so I am guessing the same arrangement).
Old May 13, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Some suggestions:

1) Fly to a city with a lot of airports nearby in-case you're bumped, like San Francisco, you can fly to/from SFO, OAK or SJC, or if you're desperate, SMF.

2) If you absolutely need to be back by a certain date and the above option doesn't solve your problem, have a rental car ready and be willing to drive home, so pick a place where you'd be okay driving back from.

3) Avoid a place that requires a connection, especially if there are only 1 or 2 flights going to the final destination from the connection airport, because if you get bumped from both flights, you're stuck 24 hours.

Just my 3 cents.

Last edited by StevenSeagalFan; May 13, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.