Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel mattress too hard

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Hotel mattress too hard

I am about to do something I have not done in years. I am going to be spending 6 whols nights in the same hotel room!

I am trying to get into a Hilton where the mattresses are comfortable, but i think i might be stuck in a Homewood Suites, whose mattresses i find are too hard. I will have access to a car and a Walmart and Ikea. But i fell kinda funny going out and spending a $100 on a mattress topper. Ever get stuck with an uncomfortable bed? What did you do?

Edit: shoot. Meant to put this in travel buzz. I am being Hotel brand agnostic here.
Old May 4, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
IME mattress toppers don't help.

Your post made me remember staying at hotels in China/Taiwan. Therir mattresses even in Western brand hotels were always too hard. Worst was when I stayed in a private home where the "bed" was a concrete slab and the "mattress" was layer after layer of blankets. A bit of a challenge.

If you could find your way to a Westin Hotel their Heavenly Bed mattresses are great. So good I bought myself one for home.

Good luck.
Old May 5, 2012, 12:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

One of my favorite things about La Quinta is their nice comfortable mattresses and pillows. It might be a cheaper option for you.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Jun 22, 2012 at 11:57 pm
Old May 5, 2012, 1:54 am

Got stuck with a bed harder than my old dorm bed @ Residence Inn once. Unluckily, staying with dog so couldn't move. Ended up crashing on the floor mostly.

You might ask for more blankets/rollaway mattress to soften things up (weird, but it might help).
Old May 5, 2012, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
If you could find your way to a Westin Hotel their Heavenly Bed mattresses are great. So good I bought myself one for home.

Good luck.
Seconded for the Westin - probably the most comfortable hotel bed I ever slept in (more comfortable than my own, but I haven't gone so far as buying one, yet).

So, advice from me is to change hotels!
Old May 5, 2012, 3:31 am

Let them put comforters on top of the mattress. That helps quite a bit, I find.

Personally, I now prefer a rather hard (not concrete but firm) mattress with a softer top that allows the hips and shoulders to sink in without causing too much pressure. This set-up has been good for my ailing back as well.

Buying a mattress topper just for the occasion seems to be overdoing it. There must be cheaper, improvised solutions as the one suggested above.

Till
Old May 5, 2012, 2:41 pm

I actually don't find it totally overkill. If the $100 topper makes it comfortable great - compared to upgrading to a different hotel $16.6/night is not much.

I might try an egg-crate - probably cheaper than the $100 too.

Though if you can make it work with extra comforters that's even cheaper.

(Staying a suite once, we moved the futon/couch mattress on top of the hard regular mattress. The first night the cleaning crew dutifully moved it back. The second night they realized we wanted it there and made the bed with both mattresses.)
Old May 5, 2012, 3:30 pm

Obviously a different location, but the Hilton in Barbados has horribly hard beds. We always ask them to put a cover on it (they have them) and it makes sleeping much better. Ask them if their hotel has them available.
Old May 5, 2012, 3:30 pm

I haven't used it and doubt I would purchase it, but Tempur-Pedic has a travel set with a mattress topper. I couldn't see a size for it, so I don't know if it could be a carry-on or not.
Old May 5, 2012, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Megn
I haven't used it and doubt I would purchase it, but Tempur-Pedic has a travel set with a mattress topper. I couldn't see a size for it, so I don't know if it could be a carry-on or not.
Interesting thought. FYI a review here http://www.brookstone.com/the-travel...y-tempur-pedic says it is check in size. That seems likely because at 27.5" wide, it would have to fold and roll to carry on.
Old May 6, 2012, 2:13 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
One of my favorite things about La Quinta is their nice comfortable mattresses and pillows. It might be a cheaper option for you. Use the discount code "homedl"
+1 for LaQuinta.

If you don't need too much pampering or services, they are a well-priced chain with very good beds.
Old May 6, 2012, 2:37 pm

Was curious in target today.
Egg crates run about $25.
Decent looking memory foam starts at $60, and mattress toppers with springs start around $100.

If you are a week or so away from your stay, the easiest thing to do (other than switching hotels) would be to order one online and ship it to you at your hotel. Think of it as an audition. If you like the topper you can figure out how to get it home/keep it. If it's not worth using again you can leave it there.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:35 am

The best mattress is often a matter of personal preference.
Old May 7, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by printingray
The best mattress is often a matter of personal preference.
That's exactly right, which is the reason that this thread made me smile. I always complain that hotel mattresses are far too soft for my taste.
Old May 10, 2012, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by oshelef
Interesting thought. FYI a review here http://www.brookstone.com/the-travel...y-tempur-pedic says it is check in size. That seems likely because at 27.5" wide, it would have to fold and roll to carry on.
Looks comfy, but way too big to be worth it.

I've actually been wondering whether one of the lighter Therm-a-rest sleeping pads would be good on top of a harder hotel bed? Some of the cheaper SEAsian beds I've been on have been like ROCKS, and after getting the Therm-a-rest light seat pad recommended here (which makes long coach flights much more bearable!) it seemed like it. Not sure how small these pack down -- might be better to look at them at REI rather than just ordering blind off Amazon... anyone try one of these?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.