Wiki Posts
Search

Passport issue

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2012, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Amex Platinum, Amex Platinum
Passport issue

I will be traveling to SDQ in the next 2.5 weeks. The trip came up a bit out of nowhere, but now I have a passport issue. While I have a valid passport I just noticed that my birthdate is incorrect (off by a month, day and year are correct). Since I've had this passport for 3 years I've traveled internationally with it and never noticed the issue. Has anyone had this problem before and not had time to get the page changed? Will I have a problem at the airport??
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Contact your Congressman's Washington office on Monday and ask if they can take care of getting this corrected overnight. Years ago, I worked in a Congressional office and these types of issues came up all the time. There was someone in the office who would work with the State Department to get the passport corrected and overnighted to the constituent.

If your Congressperson isn't known for constituent services, your Senators' offices can perform the same function. Most Congresspeople are good at getting things like this done, but a few, like mine, don't do a good job at this. (Yet, somehow get reelected.)
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:10 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hyatt PT, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
First of all it's a little ridiculous that you have had the passport for 3 years and not noticed such a large error as an incorrect birthday....

If you live in NYC as your profile says, you can go to the NY passport office and get a new one in as little as one day...

Try google for with your question and you will get millions of answers to your question. Ask the internet and you shall receive...
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I think it's more interesting the OP has never been stopped at immigration. The immigration form everyone fills out on their way into the US makes you write down your birthday. Most other countries who have landing cards have the same entry. Yet no one has asked why the passport doesn't match what the passenger wrote down? Tells me no one really cares about that field.

-RM
Old Apr 29, 2012, 4:07 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Passport issue stinks for the OP, but how does this relate to Delta or SkyMiles?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Passport issue stinks for the OP, but how does this relate to Delta or SkyMiles?
Let's move to TravelBuzz for this reason.

-slippahs, DL forum co-mod
Old Apr 29, 2012, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Amex Platinum, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by premobrimo
First of all it's a little ridiculous that you have had the passport for 3 years and not noticed such a large error as an incorrect birthday....

If you live in NYC as your profile says, you can go to the NY passport office and get a new one in as little as one day...

Try google for with your question and you will get millions of answers to your question. Ask the internet and you shall receive...
To be honest I'm surprised as well but I honestly never looked closely. I made sure my name was spelled correctly and I briefly scanned other data. I saw the correct day and year so nothing really looked odd.

Was thinking about going to the NY passport office but from what I've heard you can only get a new passport there. I don't really want to pay for a brand new passport if I only need a correction (but if I need to I will)
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawkest
To be honest I'm surprised as well but I honestly never looked closely. I made sure my name was spelled correctly and I briefly scanned other data. I saw the correct day and year so nothing really looked odd.

Was thinking about going to the NY passport office but from what I've heard you can only get a new passport there. I don't really want to pay for a brand new passport if I only need a correction (but if I need to I will)
They will not correct the current passport, they will issue a new one.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Titanium, United - Silver
Originally Posted by planemechanic
They will not correct the current passport, they will issue a new one.
They spelled my daughter's name wrong Natalle instead of Natalie. I didn't worry about for Mexico but we are going for a month long trip to Europe and figured I'd better get it changed. It was relatively quick but a pain to redo app and picture and resend all documents...no charge for the new passport since it was their fault. You should be able to do this in person at the passport office and get it done quickly.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawkest
....Was thinking about going to the NY passport office but from what I've heard you can only get a new passport there. I don't really want to pay for a brand new passport if I only need a correction (but if I need to I will)
Nothing in the passport can be altered. The only way is to get a new passport. New passport as a result of data correction is free within 12 months of passport issuance.@:-)
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Because you are correcting a date of birth, you will need to provide the documents which back up that request in support of a new passport. The fraud potential here is huge, as you can imagine, so a Member of Congress (Senate or House) can help you, but not until the paperwork is available.

In NYC, go to the Passport Office directly and get this taken care of.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 2:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Incorrect dates of birth are corrected for free any time while the passport is valid. I don't know if that includes the expedite fee or not for a passport office visit.

See this page, and follow the link to the proper form - http://travel.state.gov/passport/cor...ting_2654.html

You need to fill out a DS 5504 and submit it to get a new passport. Try to get an appointment at the passport office to have it taken care of. Because it's been more than 90 days, you will need to submit a new picture too, and evidence of the right date of birth.

There's a chance when you submitted you were able to use the short form birth certificate (or whatever the people here who insist that's the wrong name even though that what's the State Department calls it), so make sure you have the required birth certificate as the rules have changed in April of last year as to which form of Birth Certificate they would accept.

If you don't have the acceptable birth certificate and can't get it quickly, call first to see if they will accept what you have or will they say they can't do anything with out the proper one.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
If you can't get this resolved before your trip, I'd just pretend that the birthdate on the passport is the correct one should you need to fill in any landing cards etc. Given that this is what is printed on a valid passport, you're extremely unlikely to have anyone question it, where as using the "correct" date without supporting documentation is far more likely to cause issues.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 3:44 pm

If it was clearly the passport agency's fault, you can get one issued for free.

This happened to me and I just took the passport to the nearest Passport Agency in downtown Washington, DC. I walked in without an appointment, went through security and talked to a clerk. She asked me to fill out another application and said there would be no charge. I arrived around 11AM and she gave me a pick-up slip with a 2pm pick-up time. I returned at 2PM and my new passport, with all correct info, was ready. The only thing that I had to pay was the $30 parking at the nearby parking garage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.