Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

If Passport lost/stolen overseas, do exit immigration authorities bat an eye?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select

Just a thought since most countries have both entry and exit immigration procedures.

Say if you lost your US Passport while visiting Japan. Maybe you left it in the Shinkansen or left it at the tea house in Kyoto or whatever. Naturally you go to the nearest US embassy or consulate so they can issue you a new passport.

The question then is, once you get your new passport and since it obviously doesn’t have any entry stamps nor record of you getting into Japan, do the exit immigration officers raise any flags or concerns upon exiting out of Japan?

Anyone who lost a passport abroad offer insights on what happened?

Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe you usually have to report the loss/theft to the local police before the US embassy/consulate will issue a new passport so I'm sure the local fuzz has it in their system that you've lost your passport. There will be no eye batting on exit.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:50 am

This is the most common means of identity fraud in many countries. Believe me, the rubber gloves are out in force.

It used to be cheaper for citizens of a certain African country to change their name by poll deed and get a new passport than it was to pay airline change fees. So some enterprising travel agents would buy cheap seats on a high volume route in generic names and then have their customers change their names for less than the change fees cost. It was quite a racket from around 2005-2008.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (Lifetime Gold), AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I recently went through this when my passport was stolen in Peru. My immigration card was with my passport. When I got to the booth, I was directed to the supervisor who re-scanned my passport, searched and linked my entry record in the computer, and sold me a new immigration card for $5 US.

It was over in about 5 minutes and it was clear to me that it happens all the time. She didn't blink.

I flew to Argentina where they recognized the emergency passport right away and even stapled the sticker for my reciprocity fee into my emergency passport so that I could put in my new passport when I got home. I thought that was a nice touch. It all seemed very routine.

The biggest surprise was that I was able to update my Global Entry info online with the emergency passport number and use the kiosk without any special scrutiny at all on my return.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by ORDMD80
The biggest surprise was that I was able to update my Global Entry info online with the emergency passport number and use the kiosk without any special scrutiny at all on my return.
Nice ^
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by ORDMD80
I recently went through this when my passport was stolen in Peru. My immigration card was with my passport. When I got to the booth, I was directed to the supervisor who re-scanned my passport, searched and linked my entry record in the computer, and sold me a new immigration card for $5 US.

It was over in about 5 minutes and it was clear to me that it happens all the time. She didn't blink.

I flew to Argentina where they recognized the emergency passport right away and even stapled the sticker for my reciprocity fee into my emergency passport so that I could put in my new passport when I got home. I thought that was a nice touch. It all seemed very routine.

Thanks. I'm quite careful with my passport, but I never know what my happen so it was nice hearing a first hand experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.