Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pet Peeve - Lap Babies

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yad
Plenty of people couldn't afford a separate airline seat for their kid and would have to drive instead if it were required (I know many people who, once their kids are old enough to require their own seat, wind up choosing to drive instead for trips of 500-1000 miles). So requiring such a thing would move a lot of kids from their parents lap on an airplane into a car seat in a car, which is definitely a less safe place to be.
Yeah, that's what the airlines say so they can cram more people into the plane. My feeling is that deciding to take to the road when kids require their own seat involves a lot more reasons than the extra fare. Babies are pretty portable- at least mine was. If you've got, let's say, a 25-month old and a newborn, not only are you paying another fare but somehow you have more than twice the amount of stuff you did with one kid, you're trying to get everyone and their bags into the shuttle from the parking lot, through baggage check (hard to travel carry-on only with little ones), worrying that you'll have to deal with the TSA groping the 2-year old, no food on the flight, tarmac delays... A road trip is SO much less stressful.

I don't think it's the extra fare that makes people with older kids travel by car. Heck, my husband and I are 59 and 73, respectively, and WE travel a lot more by car because flights are such an endurance contest.

Originally Posted by joedish
You did not get less space because of it; you got the space that you paid for - one seat. Had you paid for two seats, you might have a right to be angry, but you did not.
I made it very clear that I was under no delusion that I owned that extra space. It disappeared, however, because someone else got a seat she did not pay for just by having a meltdown.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
Last year, approximately 200.

I understand that's its less likely to happen - but why can Mom A sit with her kid her lap but Grandma A in bulkhead can't even hold her purse?
Grandma will (should) ditch her purse in an emergency. If it is on her lap, it then becomes a hazard for others as she drops it and runs screaming from the airplane. One presumes Mom A might want to take her child with her
Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by jcwoman
A lap belt secures the baby in case of turbulence, but does nothing for the extreme inconvenience to the parent in economy. A few years back I was flying on a last minute business trip which landed me in the very last row. A young woman sat next to me with a several-month-old baby. She and her baby were perfectly behaved the entire flight. However, she could not hold the baby in her lap and have her tray table down at the same time. No room. When the FA's brought drinks and snacks, the lady managed to juggle the baby over to her aisle-arm and hold it beside her while she ate. Then in order to clean up and re-situate herself, she asked me to hold her baby for her. (I didn't mind. I'm not a fan, but this one was a real treasure.) It was either that or put the baby on the floor. I couldn't help but feel sorry for the mom. It was discomfort++. (And then the pilot has the nerve to announce over the PA, "I hope you enjoyed your flight with us..." )
See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...rn-around.html

Seems like if you are a parent with an infant under the age of 6 months, you are just SOL.
People don't like it if you put the babe in an appropriate safety device and they don't like it if you put the babe on a lap.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jsmeeker
Because the people who lobby against changes to the lap baby rules suggest that if you don't allow the lap baby, you are "forcing" people with less money to take a more dangerous mode of transportation.
That, and a purse can be stowed while a baby cannot and should not. I can assure the OP that even people who cannot afford to buy a separate seat for their infant would not want to stow their baby. IMHO, baby vs purse is a bad argument.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:59 pm

Because the people who lobby against changes to the lap baby rules suggest that if you don't allow the lap baby, you are "forcing" people with less money to take a more dangerous mode of transportation.
Interesting factoid: Most parents do not use car seats correctly.

Not relevant to the discussion at all. I know.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:31 pm
yad

Programs: CO Plat
There should never be an option to trade safety for money. If so, doesn't that apply to everything?
I don't understand this attitude at all. Everyone trades safety for money all the time, for themselves and for their kids. It's impossible not to. Some people might decide to drive their kids in a Camry rather than a big SUV, they're saving money but it's not as safe in an accident. Other people get a job which requires them to commute by car, which is less safe than if they were unemployed and stayed at home all day. Whatever. You trade safety for money all the time, in fact you trade safety for all sorts of things. The only real question is which tradeoffs are worth it and which are not.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Originally Posted by yad
It's definitely safer for kids to have their own seat, but the unfortunate fact is that most people have to trade off safety for money sometimes. Plenty of people couldn't afford a separate airline seat for their kid and would have to drive instead if it were required (I know many people who, once their kids are old enough to require their own seat, wind up choosing to drive instead for trips of 500-1000 miles). So requiring such a thing would move a lot of kids from their parents lap on an airplane into a carseat in a car, which is definitely a less safe place to be.
My only comment to that is:
http://cheezburger.com/3862052608

I don't really care who can afford what, That might make me sound like some sanctimonious rich person, which couldn't be further from the truth. I have two small kids (4 and turning 2 soon), so I am in the same boat as other families, and I still don't empathize with their plight.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:46 am
yad

Programs: CO Plat
Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
My only comment to that is:
http://cheezburger.com/3862052608

I don't really care who can afford what, That might make me sound like some sanctimonious rich person, which couldn't be further from the truth. I have two small kids (4 and turning 2 soon), so I am in the same boat as other families, and I still don't empathize with their plight.
Agreed, I don't like being seated next to someone with a lap child, I'm sure everyone finds it annoying. If airlines wanted to ban on that basis, I won't shed a tear, I'm just saying that the safety arguments for a ban don't make sense.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
we need a like button!!!

joedish, agree 100%
Old Mar 31, 2012, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
like a ps flight ..... i would definitely pay extra for a kid free flight (under 10ish???????)
Old Mar 31, 2012, 9:08 am

I agree with the OP. Makes no sense the govt makes you put a baby in a car seat while in a car but allows you to hold the baby on a plane.

I flew with baby in lap once. 4.5 hours each way. First and last time I did that. Bought a seat every time after that. Money well spent.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 9:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CBear
Interesting factoid: Most parents do not use car seats correctly.

Not relevant to the discussion at all. I know.
I think it is. Simply buying a gadget does not do the job. Using it properly does. The problem might be that people think that unless they buy the bulkiest seat (CRS), they are not doing enough to protect their child.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 9:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
I agree with the OP. Makes no sense the govt makes you put a baby in a car seat while in a car but allows you to hold the baby on a plane.

I flew with baby in lap once. 4.5 hours each way. First and last time I did that. Bought a seat every time after that. Money well spent.
A baby travelling in a car in a car seat is in a bigger danger than a lap child on a plane. An extra seat does more for parents comfort than for child's safety.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 9:48 am
Suspended

like a ps flight ..... i would definitely pay extra for a kid free flight (under 10ish???????)
I do not expect that the flight I am on will be or should be child/free. Children need to to travel too. Most of us have had, have, or will have children at some point. They are inconvenient and annoying, yet lovable, especially when they are yours.

I have had people tell me they will pay extra to travel on flights without people of certain ethnicity or looks. That's not likely to happen.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Cars and airplanes make for very bad comparisons. Babies in cars, plenty of well known and well documented risks. Thus plenty of regulations.

In a commercial plane however, how many children were killed in the last 30 years that would have been saved if they had been in a carseat or had their own seat? Good luck finding that one in the NTSB statistics or accident reports. Besides, I am not really sure of how much difference a lapbelt or an own seat belt is going to make.

Just using common sense, what is the probability off being in a crash? What is the probability of the crash being survivable in the first place? (70g deceleration will kill you, regardless of what your seat looks like!) What is the probability that the plane will not explode or burn after the crash?

My own daughter has never been in a car without a baby seat, yet has never been in a plane (commercial or private) in a baby seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.