Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Rear-facing infant seat in flight (told to turn around)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2011, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

I have two children, the oldest one has already traveled thousands of miles with me, and my wife and I usually buy a seat for him so we could use the rear-facing infant seat (which goes into a stroller attachment that we gate-check). The instruction that came with the car seat always says to place it in the in-flight seat rear-facing.

On a recent flight, however, when we put our youngest son in the car seat, about 40 minutes into the flight, two flight attendants came up and asked my wife to turn the car seat around, because they "don't allow rear-facing car seats", and if she did not comply, they would ask her to stow it, and hold the baby on her lap for the rest of the 5 hour flight.

Being that it's a red-eye flight and we were both extremely tired, she argued a little but ultimately gave in, and we turned the car seat around. The moment we turned it around, the seat in front of us reclined, and that's when we realized that this was all because the woman in front of us complained about the fact that she cannot recline her seat. And we couldn't secure the car seat after we turned it around, I suspect because the seat was not designed to be front-facing.

Although I travel a lot, I am not expert in FAA regulations. I have a suspicion this is probably a violation of some safety regulation. Is there anyway to report this to the FAA, or other appropriate organization? Luckily, the flight was uneventful and our youngest son suffered no injuries, but I still would like to verify if what happened to us was in fact legal, and if not, I would like the airline to be notified by the appropriate authority and not let this happen to anyone else.
Old May 14, 2011, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by joshkuo
On a recent flight, however, when we put our youngest son in the car seat, about 40 minutes into the flight, two flight attendants came up and asked my wife to turn the car seat around, because they "don't allow rear-facing car seats", and if she did not comply, they would ask her to stow it, and hold the baby on her lap for the rest of the 5 hour flight.
FAA Advisory Circular for Child Restraint Systems on Aircraft

See paragraph 18. The CRS should be placed in a forward-facing seat, but facing the direction that the manufacturer recommends for the weight of the child for that particular seat.

I'd complain to the airline about their flight attendants being untrained.
Old May 14, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: Independent Libertarian
CRS Approved?

It would seem that IF the seat is CRS approved that Item#18 on the link provided satisfies the FAA requirement and may be used.
I would file a complaint if seat is CRS approved.
Old May 14, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Notwithstanding the possible FAA violation, do you give any consideration for the person who wanted to recline their seat during the redeye flight?

It sounds as if a front-facing seat would avoid this situation.
Old May 14, 2011, 4:38 pm

I'd do a lot more than just file some complaint with the airline. FAA, local TV station, whatever. Raise some heck.

The TSA & FAA debacles have really pushed my buttons on this stuff. Authority figures actually actively, knowingly, putting us in more danger while saying they're making things safer.

My dad was in the air force, and he has said most of the transport planes had seats facing backwards. Think about it, if the plane comes to a sudden stop, which is safer? Being pushed backwards into your seat with lots of distribution of force, or being yanked around your waist by some tiny strap.

And it's not like Southwest Airlines doesn't have backward facing rows.

Of course, in this case it's all about if it met specifications and was installed properly, which it was. But geez, I can't believe some people don't think in common sense terms.

I suppose the FA's might have been thinking that the event of some catastrophe happening was far outweighed by some whiner wanting to recline on a redeye, but I'd think they could have been sued into oblivion too or lost their jobs.

Then again, I wish we could get things like the lie-down bed rows overseas carriers are getting, considering accidents are so rare, but I just hate seeing this dual-face behavior.
Old May 14, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA PE, FL A+Elite, X-DL Silver, X-AA Gold, HH Diam, Marriott Silv
It is likely spelled out in the airline policy as well. If your child is old enough to face either way then yeah it's considerate to put it forward facing especially on a red eye. But it is quite common go FAs to insist they have to go forward. It's not a problem in economy plus or F. Anyway I found there was enough give if you tilt back the infant's seat a little the restraint might tilt the child up a little but the person in front can still move back some.
Old May 14, 2011, 5:39 pm

Programs: AGR,CO,PC,AA
I don't care what the FAA rulebooks say, OP is the jerk for preventing the seat in front from reclining.
Old May 14, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CelticPax
It has been a long time since I saw the backwards rows on WN.
Old May 14, 2011, 6:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
While this thread and topic are fine for TS/S, we're going to move it to our Travel With Children Forum as perhaps a better fit.

Pls follow at it's new home.

Thanks.

Cholula
TS/S Co-Moderator
Old May 14, 2011, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the information.

In my past experience (we have used this exact same car seat at least 4 other times), airline usually tries to leave the seat in front of us empty, perhaps for the reason that the person cannot recline. And we certainly did not intend to cause the problem, just following directions that came with the car seat on how to properly install it on the plane.

In fact, had the person in front asked us nicely, we might have turned it around anyway since it's a red eye flight, and being parents we both understood how important sleep is.

Like I said in my OP, I was trying to get clarification on this issue from other experienced travelers, and sounds like there are some FAA regulations around the issue, and the airline should be informed.

Thank you all for your replies.
Old May 14, 2011, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

And the car seat itself is certified, it has the lettering "This restraint has been certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft" printed on the side, and is listed as FAA approved on the manufacture's site.
Old May 14, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by Upstate
I don't care what the FAA rulebooks say, OP is the jerk for preventing the seat in front from reclining.
so a whiners comfort is more important then a childs safety..... um yeah not buying your arguement. Have you ever looked at the life valuations of a child vs adult in cases settled? If not id suggest you do cause theres a 10-50x disparity between what a child and adult is worth
Old May 14, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
If the parents paid for the seat and the FAA allows rear-facing seats - BOTH TRUE STATEMENTS - then how dare some of you call him a jerk for blocking the person in front's recline?

I don't think a person who is using a seat for free for an infant has ANY right to block another passenger's comfort, but if the seat is paid for, then they are entitled to use it as they need to.
Old May 15, 2011, 12:07 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by mikew99
Notwithstanding the possible FAA violation, do you give any consideration for the person who wanted to recline their seat during the redeye flight?

It sounds as if a front-facing seat would avoid this situation.
Choosing seats in a bulkhead row would permit the use of a rear-facing child seat and would not prevent a passenger in the row in front from reclining their seat - no seat in front of the child.
Old May 15, 2011, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by CelticPax
Where?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.