Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

ways to avoid catching colds while flying...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ways to avoid catching colds while flying...?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: whatever it takes
blood is 80% water...UV light enters through our eyes and is through the skin too. Although the amount varies based on our diet. This UV light will kill viruses/bacteria INside our body.

* Who told you our body / eyes doesn't absorb UV?

Google - DIET SUNBURN or I can provide appropriate links.

To learn more about how diet affects affinity to sunburn / eye degeneration / eye fogging (Cataracts). It has to do with the level of metals in our body - IRON, ZINC, COBALT (Vitamin B-12), CHROMIUM, etc......also heme iron vs non-heme iron.

The primary ingredient in sunscreen is TITANIUM DIOXIDE, or sometimes IRON Oxide, or Zinc Oxide...google - how sunscreen works.

Guess what..the level of metals inside our body inhibits / reflects UV light / absorption and then causes our skin to heat up from the inside out! Burn!

Simple "science" -- but from - inside out thinking...

---

Wearing lighter fabrics / lighter colored clothing as well to allow more UV light...but if that is impractical, then start with the eyes...or rather start with shedding the "eye protection" we have been CONned into buying...

Also another reason to GO OUTSIDE or open home/car windows, as UV light is blocked by windows as well...unless you have a special kind of window, which is pretty rare. We're sold on the idea that tinted windows are good for us....

Only if someone is at altitude climbing / hiking (10,000 ft+) for a sustained period might there be a concern, but again, a proper diet will solve this problem too....but that is another story.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by beethovengirl
Hi,

My husband caught a cold a day after flying last week, and he has 3 more RT flights planned in the next few weeks, so I'm looking for suggestions on how to avoid catching colds while flying.
If I recall correctly, it takes about 3 days to show symptoms of catching a cold, therefore your husband likely didn't catch it from the flight.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EqualOpp
blood is 80% water...UV light enters through our eyes and is through the skin too. Although the amount varies based on our diet. This UV light will kill viruses/bacteria INside our body.

* Who told you our body / eyes doesn't absorb UV?

Google - DIET SUNBURN or I can provide appropriate links.

To learn more about how diet affects affinity to sunburn / eye degeneration / eye fogging (Cataracts). It has to do with the level of metals in our body - IRON, ZINC, COBALT (Vitamin B-12), CHROMIUM, etc......also heme iron vs non-heme iron.

The primary ingredient in sunscreen is TITANIUM DIOXIDE, or sometimes IRON Oxide, or Zinc Oxide...google - how sunscreen works.

Guess what..the level of metals inside our body inhibits / reflects UV light / absorption and then causes our skin to heat up from the inside out! Burn!

Simple "science" -- but from - inside out thinking...

---

Wearing lighter fabrics / lighter colored clothing as well to allow more UV light...but if that is impractical, then start with the eyes...or rather start with shedding the "eye protection" we have been CONned into buying...

Also another reason to GO OUTSIDE or open home/car windows, as UV light is blocked by windows as well...unless you have a special kind of window, which is pretty rare. We're sold on the idea that tinted windows are good for us....

Only if someone is at altitude climbing / hiking (10,000 ft+) for a sustained period might there be a concern, but again, a proper diet will solve this problem too....but that is another story.
Skin, as I acknoweldged, is exposed to UV (hence the acne example). UV light does not penetrate through all the layers of skin, muscle, bones and other tissue into e.g. the lungs to kill the bacteria as it would e.g. on a petri dish exposed to UV. Eyes are especially sensitive to UV which is why eye protection should be worn - but UV absorbed by the eye cells doesn't make it's way through the body to the respiratory tract etc.

Zinc, Titanium etc. are physical barriers of the metal particals, if you wrapped aluminium foil around the arm it would have a not disimmilar effect. Zinc used as a barrier on the outside doesn't really relate to the zinc within our bodies. The zinc within our bodies isn't anywhere near the concentration / partical size of sunscreen.

Zinc, iron, etc. are all essentiall to our make up - neither too much nor too little are good for it (hence RDAs etc).

Wearing lighter coloured clothes will reflect some of the sunlight, so yes, they are an excellent way of reducing the amount of UV.

UV travels right through normal windows - it is rare for windows to have full UV coating (my home does, and it cost quite a bit more than regular glass).

I wish I had read your post yesterday when I was sitting in a waiting room full of people with skin cancers, and show it to my dermatologist - he would have laughed his socks off at the idea that diet is enough to stop fair skinned folk here from burning in in strong summer sun.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:07 pm

Wrap yourself in bubble wrap??
Old Mar 30, 2012, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

.Look up a product -- STERIPEN to see how it works in a consumer product.
Other FTers have already refuted other aspects of your post, but I hope to be able to indicate to you why what you're saying isn't right.

The SteriPen works by emitting UV light with wavelength of approx 254 nanometers:
http://www.steripen.com/stuff/conten...20lvolumes.pdf

This is in the UVC spectrum of UV light.
http://www.skincancer.org/prevention...olet-radiation
"UVC is the shortest and highest energy UV with wavelengths less than 290 nm. However, since it is filtered by the ozone, these wavelengths do not reach the earth's surface..."

UVC's germicidal activity is derived from its ability to damage DNA. It is for this reason that Steripen recommends that you not expose your skin or eyes to its UVC light:
http://www.steripen.com/stuff/conten...er_english.pdf

UV light is blocked by windows as well
UVB light is typically blocked by windows, whereas windows typically transmit UVA light:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1477415
Old Mar 30, 2012, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whimike
If I recall correctly, it takes about 3 days to show symptoms of catching a cold, therefore your husband likely didn't catch it from the flight.
According to the Mayo Clinic, the incubation period of the common cold is 1-3 days:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/com...CTION=symptoms

To be clear, I did not affirmatively state that my husband caught his cold during the flight, though I believe that is the most likely explanation. His sore throat started about 36 hrs after the flight.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Old Mar 31, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Well, I'm looking for something that won't drip - something that will stay in place rather than irrigate the nasal passages.

Also, I've seen some that don't list preservatives in their ingredient list (eek) and some with fragrance materials.

Since writing my original post, I did some googling, and I think I'm going to purchase the NeilMed Nasogel Drip-Free Spray:
http://www.amazon.com/NasoGel-Water-.../dp/B00167TZZ2

but I'm definitely open to other recommendations
I use the NeilMed NetiPot. I works really well. I find the drip problem others have noted is an issue for the first 10 - 20 minutes after using the rinse. Typically nothing after that. I use the rinse just before flying and the affects last up to 8 or 10 hours.

I also agree that keeping your immune system up in combination with good hand and face hygiene is essential.

I tried the masks that filer bacterial and viral sized particles but I find that I unconsciously remove them in my sleep on longer flights.

But I have gotten sick from flying in spite of all this. If you are seated within 10 or 20 feet of someone who is hacking and coughing, you may be out of luck. You can try to change your seat. But sometimes that is not possible.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: whatever it takes
Originally Posted by emma69
Skin, as I acknoweldged, is exposed to UV (hence the acne example). UV light does not penetrate through all the layers of skin, muscle, bones and other tissue into e.g. the lungs to kill the bacteria as it would e.g. on a petri dish exposed to UV. Eyes are especially sensitive to UV which is why eye protection should be worn - but UV absorbed by the eye cells doesn't make it's way through the body to the respiratory tract etc.

Zinc, Titanium etc. are physical barriers of the metal particals, if you wrapped aluminium foil around the arm it would have a not disimmilar effect. Zinc used as a barrier on the outside doesn't really relate to the zinc within our bodies. The zinc within our bodies isn't anywhere near the concentration / partical size of sunscreen.

Zinc, iron, etc. are all essentiall to our make up - neither too much nor too little are good for it (hence RDAs etc).

Wearing lighter coloured clothes will reflect some of the sunlight, so yes, they are an excellent way of reducing the amount of UV.

UV travels right through normal windows - it is rare for windows to have full UV coating (my home does, and it cost quite a bit more than regular glass).

I wish I had read your post yesterday when I was sitting in a waiting room full of people with skin cancers, and show it to my dermatologist - he would have laughed his socks off at the idea that diet is enough to stop fair skinned folk here from burning in in strong summer sun.
Learning about the VIBRATION of particles would be helpful....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8279549.stm

"The paint contains an *aluminium-iron oxide* which RESONATES at the same FREQUENCY as wi-fi - or other radio waves - meaning the airborne data is absorbed and blocked."

Light is just another form of EMF...

---
Wearing lighter colored / (Or perhaps lighter fabric is even more accurate) -- clothes / more transparent DOES allows more light in. Look through a shirt - inside-out - ......what does one see? Stick your eyes up to the fabric...

----

Iron is used to transport oxygen in the blood...our oxygen needs depend on on what we eat. DIEgestion is a very intensive process (Did I just write DIE? Oh never mind -- continue with your DIE-t while you eat DInner at a DIner.)

Notice how when we eat certain kinds of meals we get sleepy.....certain foods tax our body more than others. For example - meats/carbs more than fruits & veggies (Which are higher in water content)

More "heavy" foods we need more oxygen (Gasping for breath is one symptom)...this also explains anemia. Thus our diet plays a role in how much iron we need as well.

You trust the food pyramid / RDAs they list? Guess some have missed how industry has bought off pretty much all govt institutions...

** Check out videos - Forks over Knives and The Beautiful Truth (Both about cancer / chronic illnesses n diet/environmental exposure) and DVD Exploring the Spectrum, also a book Health & Light by John Ott.

We live in a world we think we need "more and more to protect ourselves against nature - elements, animals, etc...." We've "fallen" a long way.
Because we have been focusing on an external ENEMY, not the INeME.
Few people even read food labels...and understand how those chemicals affect us individually. Instead we rush off to fancy-titled doctors....with even fancier titled medications.

Explosion of pharmaceutical drugs, antibacterial soap, anti-UV clothes, SPF 1 million sunscreen, topical ointments with steroids, more tools/gadgets. Soon, we'll be proven wrong, but FT is not the place to debate this.

I could provide more weblinks and videos about light, but I guess if you haven't googled it yourself - search terms noted earlier...well you're probably not that interested, so I'll leave it at that.

...For if I write any more I would be trying to CONvince you/someone else...and well, we have enough CON (wo)men in this world...just turn on the TV with all those commercials or open a magazine with all the adverts for drugs/sunscreens/sunglasses, food that is "good" for us / makes us happy - when in fact the post-dopamine effect is quite the opposite, etc...

Last edited by EqualOpp; Mar 31, 2012 at 8:21 am
Old Mar 31, 2012, 8:58 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Close confinement with partially regenerated air is not a good scenario for avoiding colds. I tend to keep a healthy immune system and hope for the best.
I do use Purell a lot if I'm seated close to someone hacking, coughing, and blowing their nose. It may not help, but it makes me feel better.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

demand that all your employees get flu shots. when employee kids get colds, keep the employee home.avoid children(good advice at all times to avoid illnesses).
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I use the NeilMed NetiPot. I works really well. I find the drip problem others have noted is an issue for the first 10 - 20 minutes after using the rinse. Typically nothing after that. I use the rinse just before flying and the affects last up to 8 or 10 hours.
My husband already uses a nasal irrigator (Nasaline). I'm looking for something he can spray into his nose just before the flight that stays put rather than coming out the other nostril.

My husband used the NeilMed Nasogel "No-Drip" spray before his flight yesterday, and he said it dripped a bit, so he was not completely satisfied...

If anyone has any truly no-drip saline nasal gel/spray recs, I'm all ears
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:44 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
The worst illness I've ever had in my life was caught on a plane. A mother with a very sick child seated next to me. She apologized in advance that I was going to get very sick, as her son had the flu and was running a very high fever. She said her whole family had it and it was a bad strain, usually causing high fever and bed rest for a week or more.

I could not change seats. I did the best I could to avoid his sneezes and coughing and hacking. 24 hours later I got a sore throat. 24 hours after that I could not get out of bed. 2 weeks later I finally felt better.

The inconsideration of traveling with a human germ breeder is beyond my comprehension.

I'm not sure in a such a situation that you can avoid getting sick. I'm a pretty healthy guy, and that one really side-lined me for a few weeks.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My husband already uses a nasal irrigator (Nasaline). I'm looking for something he can spray into his nose just before the flight that stays put rather than coming out the other nostril.

My husband used the NeilMed Nasogel "No-Drip" spray before his flight yesterday, and he said it dripped a bit, so he was not completely satisfied...

If anyone has any truly no-drip saline nasal gel/spray recs, I'm all ears
I think I'd rather have something that drips for 10 seconds and does its job instead of some goo that sticks in there like nasty yellow mucus.

The former has always done the job for me. However, I've not tried the latter.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:25 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
For me a spoon of honey everyday, regardless of whether I am flying or not.

I used to get a cold every few money. If someone near me thought about getting a cold I would catch it from them. Since I added a daily spoon of honey to my diet I have only had one cold in five years. This despite flying all over the world and working long hours on average once every 1-2 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.