Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Funny and Horrible at the same Time: the Coke Explosion

Old Mar 23, 12, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Location: Dark, gloomy, rainy, cold, dismal except for the week of summer in Seattle Washington.
Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, United blah blah, Delta yadda yadda, American... Oh, and OMG the hotel chains....

Right this minute I am on a flight from DCA to SEA sitting in the exit-row aisle seat and was just served a full can of Coke Zero. The flight attendant just barely cracked open the can and set it on my outstretched tray and as she walked away some mysterious force caused it to slide straight off of my tray falling perfectly upright and hit the floor square on its bottom. This caused a spectacular fountain of coke to erupt in a fan-spray pattern, amplified by the meager crescent opening, that reached forward two rows and aft three rows from floor to ceiling. It only lasted less than a second- faster than I could reach and grab it, but it emptied 2/3 of the can. The damage was amazing; the guy in the aisle seat next opposite mine hit from the soul of his boot to the top of his head including a direct hit directly into his ear. He was, understandably, infuriated, and leapt out of his seat wiping madly at his face, shirt, pants and boots. Up and down the aisle people went to work with the tiny napkins wiping the various parts hit by the soda shrapnel with the unaffected chipping-in to help with their tiny napkins in a real show of solidarity under fire. The flight attendant rushed to grab a stack of miniature napkins and returned to deal them about the affected cabin area. Everyone was wiping themselves, their seat mates, the seats, and the cabin walls, windows, overhead and ceiling. I sheepishly offered apologies all around which were met mostly with dagger-eyes and largely unintelligible but clearly unfriendly remarks, probably noting that I was nearly unscathed.

This leads me to wonder- what disasters have you caused, witnessed, or been the victim of on your travels in the cramped confines of our aluminum arrows? There must be some amusing stories out there...

BTW- if you were on my flight and were affected by the soda fountain, again, I apologize.
Old Mar 23, 12, 11:25 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Worst I've seen was a little kid sneeze and spit his juice box all over a woman in white as she was boarding.

Worst I've experienced was having a food tray dropped on me while I was sleeping...it had hot gravy.
Old Mar 23, 12, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
Fell asleep holding a G&T and dropped it the OH's lap... while I was amused to a degree - she most certainly was not. That was an hour into a LHR-DFW hop
Old Mar 23, 12, 2:10 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Photos would be nice.
Old Mar 23, 12, 2:15 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
This belongs in Reported Trips rather than Trip Reports.

Mods? :>
Old Mar 23, 12, 2:16 pm

Why on Earth is this in Trip Reports? Moderator, please close.
Old Mar 23, 12, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz #1 Gold
On a flight from JFK-MIA, I asked for a gin and tonic. The FA handed it to me and i cupped the drink from the bottom, but had not had a full hold of it. The hand-off was incomplete and i spilled it on the FC seat next to me. Luckily that seat was empty, and we were able to clean up the mess before the pax sitting in the seat boarded the plane. He was none the wiser.

From then on in that flight, the FA placed it on the pull out drink tray.
Old Mar 23, 12, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
While Trip Reports might not be the best category moving it might be a better idea than closing it. You could just click the alert Mod button instead of asking for it to be closed.

Originally Posted by EWC-JMU View Post
Why on Earth is this in Trip Reports? Moderator, please close.
Old Mar 23, 12, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I think this one will be best served in the TravelBuzz! forum.

Moomba
Moderator: Trip Reports
Old Mar 23, 12, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Had a Coke spilled on me at the start of a family road trip to the grand canyon over the summer.

Sitting in coke soaked jeans for a 6+ drive from our house to the Grand Canyon in a sweltering station wagon without a/c was miserable.
Old Mar 23, 12, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
Ha, I actually find it quite funny...definitely a s***t happens moment.

Worst thing that happened to me is I was sitting in Qantas business on a flight in Australia and the FA poured my red wine into a glass and passed it across the aisle seat without noticing the hole in the bottom of the cup so by the time I grabbed it and held the cup over the floor the lady next to me had red lines zig zagging across her pants, the FA had it on her uniform and I had it down one leg leading to a puddle on the floor.
Old Mar 23, 12, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
OP, that description is laugh out loud funny. Sorry for the people who got soaked, but I wish I had seen it myself.
Old Mar 24, 12, 7:56 am

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
This happened on the train when I was a kid.

I went to the lounge car and bought a coke. A mother kid in front of me bought a coke too. We both headed back to the dome car. He shook his can the entire way (about 4 cars). I sat down and opened my coke with no problem. The other kid opened his. The coke shot up out of the can, hot the dome glass, and sprayed several passengers.
Old Mar 24, 12, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1P
I was twenty, en route from CDG to JFK, aisle seat in a five-across configuration. About an hour into the flight, beverage service arrived at our row. Guy next to me ordered a tomato juice. Flight attendant poured juice and reached over me to hand can and cup to passenger.

Something caused her to drop both on my head. My hair, clothing (white top, of course), and the seat around me were completely drenched and stained. There was nowhere to move me to as it was a 100% full flight.

I stewed in someone else's juice for the next six hours.
Old Mar 24, 12, 12:26 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
DL flight from ATL to PRG, sitting in BE. First round of drinks and the man sitting next to me spills a screwdriver on me. Fortunately, most went on the seat and not me and I had the tray tablecloth to wipe it up. He doesn't assist in the clean-up, nor does he apologize. He asks the FA for another drink and proceeds to spill that one on me too, getting more on me this time. Again, no apology nor offer to help clean it up. I went to the lavatory to wash off what I could of the spilled orange juice and then moved my seat. Perhaps that was his plan all along - to drive his seatmate away.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: