Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with drugs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Flying with drugs

I know what you're thinking....but no, it's not about that.

I will be taking several LAX or SFO flights over the next few months, to PER. I'm wondering if there's any medications any of you would suggest, to make the flight over the water seem shorter.

I'd love to sleep that long flight away, but I have great difficulty sleeping on planes. Excedrin PM makes me feel warm and fuzzy, and puts me to sleep, but it really hangs on for the next day or two, and I don't want to be drowsey that long afterwards.

I do not drink alcohol when I fly.

Any suggestions?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TCove
Excedrin PM makes me feel warm and fuzzy, and puts me to sleep, but it really hangs on for the next day or two,
look at the label and buy the two components separately; experiment with the dosage of the antihistamine; you have no idea what I'm thinking...
Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL Million Miler
Ask your doctor for a Rx of Ambien (Zolpedim is generic and cheap). Mine are 10mg I think. Try 1/2 pill at home, try a whole pill at home. When on the flight take the dosage you've tried at home. Do NOT get the pills, get on the flight and take them for the 1st time.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Policypeddler
Ask your doctor for a Rx of Ambien.
Let's start OP with an OTC strategy before introducing him to the hardcore hypnotics. @:-)
Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:39 am

otc

i agree with the previous poster -- try at home first before doing it on the plane!

i've used these OTC and they all worked to some degree:
- melatonin
- l-tryptophan
- valerian root
- tylenol PM (it's just tylenol with benadryl). this one works MUCH better if you take it with a shot of vodka.

Rx-wise i hate Ambien because i'm asleep but i awaken feeling entirely un-rested.

All that said, my go-to at this point is a Xanax and a glass of wine.

YMMV
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:13 am
Suspended

Any short or medium acting Benzodiazepine...it's a broad range of drug but is is all essentially valium. Also known as Lorazepam, Triazolam, Clonopin, Xanax, Diazepam, Bromazepam, Mitazolam, Alprozolam, etc. You need an RX. They work VERY well. They have all the properties you need for a good long flight. They reduce stress, anxiety, they initiate amnesia so the flight seems very short subjectively, and they make it easy to sleep..and because they are short acting by the time the flight is over, the effects are all gone. Short acting ones cycle for about 3 hours. Mids for about 6. No grogginess.

On my last transat from LAX to LHR (11.5hrs) I took two Lorazepams about 2 hours into the flight. When I woke up, there was about 2 hours left. Im sure I was they only one feeling fresh when I walked off that plane!

DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL WITH BENZOS!!! EVER!! Seriously. It' dangerous.

For an OTC benzo..(non-regulated in the US, Canada or UK and most of Europe) you have two options: Phenazepam and Etizolam. Technically, Etizolam is not legally considered a benzo beacuse it has a slightly different molecular structure (theopine ring) and therefore you are allowed to have it without an Rx..but it has the same effects with slightly more euphoria and less sedation. Like the other benzos it works on the GABA system in the brain. It is also short acting. Order it online from a reputable source and wait about 28 days for it to arrive.

Phenazepam is probably something you want to avoid. It is an old Soviet era benzo. It is not controlled in the US. The UK bans importation of it, but not posession. 1 mg of Phenazepam is equal to 10 mg of Diazepam. Phenazepam rarely comes in a pill form, but in a powder or liquid which makes it hard to dose properly. Because a little goes a long way, this is dangerous. It has all the standard benzo effects, but less euphoria and more physical sedation. It is "long acting" which means about 8 hours or more and there is a reported day long hang-on effect. Also to be ordered online from a reputable source.

All benzos are addictive, FYI. But not for the short times you will take them for a flight.

Non Benzo OTC's to consider are benadryl, dramamine (old formula, not the non-drowsy) and sleep ez D. Anything with dimenhydrinate or dipenhydramine. It will also knock you out, but you will be groggy afterwards and may have unwanted side effects later such as diarrhea. On the upside, they are legal and prevent airsickness too.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: HH-S WS-G
I will be taking several LAX or SFO flights over the next few months, to PER. I'm wondering if there's any medications any of you would suggest, to make the flight over the water seem shorter.

Any suggestions?
The OP is heading to Perth. The Australians are very picky about perscription sleep aids.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinworm
Anything with dimenhydrinate or dipenhydramine. It will also knock you out, but you will be groggy afterwards and may have unwanted side effects later such as diarrhea.
They work great for me and I experience NONE of these side effects.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards

Any suggestions?
Yes. Call your health care provider. While people helpfully suggest what works for them, it may not be appropriate for you. None of us knows your medical history, allergies, other meds you are taking that may interact, etc,etc. Your GP should know these things and be able to suggest something either RX or OTC/Herbal
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
Call your health care provider.
1. YOU are a mind-reader;

2. My usual admonition for Omni questions about legal/medical/financial matters is to consult a professional.

3. The Omni crowd thinks they're a better source.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Do not carry any drug not approved in Oz or US, it might even be a good idea to have a medical certificate from your GP even IF they are approved, but narcotics classed, as all benzos are
Old Mar 3, 2012, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Be very careful for a trip to Australia; certain common OTC drugs are prohibited there and the penalties can be serious.

Also, do not combine Tylenol with alcohol. Doing this risks liver damage.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All that said, my go-to at this point is a Xanax and a glass of wine.

YMMV
Sounds lovely - I prefer valium.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Be very careful for a trip to Australia; certain common OTC drugs are prohibited there and the penalties can be serious.
Like what? Why?

Also, do not combine Tylenol with alcohol. Doing this risks liver damage.
I'm glad someone mentioned it. ^
Old Mar 3, 2012, 6:48 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
Yes. Call your health care provider. While people helpfully suggest what works for them, it may not be appropriate for you. None of us knows your medical history, allergies, other meds you are taking that may interact, etc,etc. Your GP should know these things and be able to suggest something either RX or OTC/Herbal
Absolutely^ I would never consider seeking RX advice from IBB.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Lunesta works quite well. A nice sleep and easy to wakeup. However, swallow it as fast as possible. It has a terrible, long lingering taste of any of it dissolves in your mouth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.