Flying from New York/Newark to Orlando

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)

Hi all!

I've search the forums to no avail but there could be something out there so please don't yell at me if it's already been posted.

My girlfriend and I are traveling to Orlando in May and I was wondering how to go about upgrading from coach to first.

Preferably flying out of EWR (United, Continental) but LGA and JFK work too.

Which airline has the best deal for upgrading and what should I expect to pay.

Reason behind all this is my girlfriend is quite scared of flying and I feel that maybe if we fly first class it'll go over better with her. ( I know I'm crazy)

If I was to say book a flight on Continental/United how much do they charge to upgrade? I saw on the website it said you would have a chance to upgrade to first after ticket has been purchased.

Also for the record the flight I was looking at had all 20 first class seats open.

Anyways I'm open to all help suggestions and even flying out of LGA, JFK!

Thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Fly her on Jet Blue...put headphones on and let her watch tv the 3+ hours.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by armattheus
Fly her on Jet Blue...put headphones on and let her watch tv the 3+ hours.
...blindfolds may help as well.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:18 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Upgrades can be difficult if you have no frequent flyer status with the airline. You might be offered an upgrade for cash but no guarantee you will get that offer for both tickets. The best, most fool-proof way to be sure you will be in first is to buy first class tickets to start with.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Haha I wish it were that simple!

Abmj-jr I am a continental airlines FF member but I only fly 5 or so times a year.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by theboss7593
Haha I wish it were that simple!

Abmj-jr I am a continental airlines FF member but I only fly 5 or so times a year.
Well, if you have no elite status, no stash of miles, and are not able to purchase the F seats, I don't know what other options we can produce for you. Those are pretty much the ways to sit up front.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 1:21 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

If you have no status or miles, the only way to get a first class ticket is to pay for it.

As you have probably discovered, this will be absurdly expensive.

Are you sure you need first class? Many airlines have something in between, usually called premium economy, economy plus, or something like that. That might work.

Why do you think that first class will make her less scared of flying?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:07 am

Programs: UA
There's always driving...you could split the trip.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Some airlines sell space-available upgrades on the day of travel. For example, on AA, the check-in kiosks sell them for $45/500 miles, so $90/person each way JFK-MCO. But these won't be offered on every flight, and you won't know until check-in. If you're wanting to buy these, your best bet is to try to fly at off-peak times when the business travelers aren't flying. Midday midweek, for example, or Saturday evenings.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:48 am

Absurdly expensive as others have said?

Eh, if your travel dates are flexible you can do it for $700 to $1000 per person with a paid non-refundable first ticket. When coach tickets are around the $250 to $350 range I don't think this is as crazy as others have put it. This would be the range where I would I'd start considering paying for it out of pocket if I wasn't 95% sure I'd get the upgrade automatically.

I'm assuming this is one of her first few flights if she's afraid of flying? The problem with doing this is she'll start to think that first class has helped her and might start insisting on F to "help her fear."

I've found that just making sure we get an exit row or at least that my girlfriend gets an aisle is enough to help her. Last couple times she sat in the middle so I could get the aisle and she says she felt a bit claustrophobic and sickish, but when I gave her the aisle she felt just fine. Maybe just find a flight you like and put her in the aisle. She won't see out the window and she'll be able to at least feel like she has a bit more room. I don't think the little bit extra room in F is going to help that much more with any fear of flying.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Book a sleeper on Amtrak. Two daily departures from New York and Newark to Orlando. All meals and non-alcoholic beverages included. If you book the trip before March 31 (even for travel after that date), only 20,000 Amtrak Guest Rewards (or Chase Sapphire) points each way covers the bedroom and meals for two.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:21 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Amtrak is a long trip just to get there and back. IMO not a good option. and Amtrak is not the Orient Express. No linen tables and candle light dinners. Mostly club sandwiches and beer. Flying is a quick, easy, and my guess is after the take-off, she'll settle in and enjoy herself. I'd not worry about upgrading. If you can, you can. If not, fly coach. It's too bad Virgin doesn't have direct or non-stop to MCO from JFK. Having in-flight entertainment the whole way may help.

I've flown with many first-timers. After you get airborne at cruise altitude, it's all "down-hill" from there. Literally.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just fly JetBlue so she can watch TV the whole time.

Upgrading without miles or status will require cash.

There is no "premium economy" offering EWR-MCO, except perhaps United's Economy Plus. But that's just a little more legroom with the same coach seat and service.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Okay so here's the deal, first off I'd like to thank everyone for their input it is greatly appreciated!

I booked the flight from Newark to Orlando and Orlando to Newark aboard United 2nd week of May. Flying out on the Friday 7:54am flight coming back on a Tuesday 7:59pm flight. (may switch the Friday departure to Thursday Night in order to get an earlier start on Disney World Friday Morning instead of soon as we land rush to the hotel and the theme park) (I have 24 hours to make fee-less changes I believe) Going on a 757-200 coming back on a 757-300.

I booked the seats in economy and I thought here's how I was going to go about it.

I saw online somewhere about if seats are available that you can upgrade T-minus 24 hours before the flight to First Class for 75.00 per seat on trips under 1,000 miles.

My question would be to you experienced travelers, what are the odds of this, seats being open in FC and secondly can I do it online or does it have to be at a kiosk.

Next question is say we do get upgraded, my girlfriend is going to lug her 34332 things along with her so I know she will be checking a bag. Does the upgrade to First then become free checked bags, like in normal first?

Also if upgraded do you get to use the Lounge/Priority Security lines at the airport?

If we aren't successful I think I wouldn't mind spending the extra 39.00 to upgrade to Economy Plus, at least there's more room there for her and me to stretch my long legs LOL!

Any feedback would be great and anything I'm missing please point out!
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
You might want to look into an United Credit Card if you're willing and have the credit to do so. Some levels of the card come with the things you're looking for and I think the current offer refunds your first annual fee (or most of it) which would at least give you the free checked bag and the upper levels grant Lounge Access/priority boarding and maybe free E+ seating but not sure on that one.
A domestic flight in F doesn't grant lounge access without other memberships. The lounges at EWR aren't anything to write home about BUT it is a nice little perk and is a calm place to relax and have a drink before a flight.
Personally I'd avoid the 753 unless you know for sure about the upgrade to F. Compared to the 752 and 737s on this route it's ancient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.