Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel policy conundrum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by B747-437B
We are pondering putting in a "anything more than 2 consecutive redeyes or 24 hrs of continuous travel will have at least one redeye in Business Class" policy. 6 hours IMHO is ridiculously low. A vast majority of our travel is straightforward 17 hour trips. Those can easily be handled in Economy Class.
Not everyone will agree with that, but FWIW I do

As someone who flies TPAC in Y >80% of the time, I find it manageable. Of course, I am relatively young and not bulky or overly oblong (i.e., I fit comfortably in a standard Y seat). I could easily see this being a problem for others, though.

Perhaps you can get around this by hiring smaller employees?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
As someone who flies TPAC in Y >80% of the time, I find it manageable. Of course, I am relatively young and not bulky or overly oblong (i.e., I fit comfortably in a standard Y seat). I could easily see this being a problem for others, though.
Ditto, although it does depend on frequency; I can comfortably do a TPAC in Y for a week long trip once a quarter (which is, in fact, fairly typical for me) would be much harder if I was on the ground for a shorter time, or having to make the trip vastly more frequently.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
I find 10 hours in Y on a single flight acceptable if I don't have to work upon arrival but have at least a day to recover. That's true even though I'm no longer young. I also worry about the ageism implications here. It's not lawful to discriminate on age -- or, for that matter, sleep disorder.

Once it gets to 11 hours, though, or 13, no, and I can't imagine 17. I'm going to do 14 in Y in a few months, but I'm not looking forward to it.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deirdre
I find 10 hours in Y on a single flight acceptable if I don't have to work upon arrival but have at least a day to recover. That's true even though I'm no longer young. I also worry about the ageism implications here. It's not lawful to discriminate on age -- or, for that matter, sleep disorder.

Once it gets to 11 hours, though, or 13, no, and I can't imagine 17. I'm going to do 14 in Y in a few months, but I'm not looking forward to it.
I find once you're over about 10 hours, the difference between 10,11,14,15 (longest I've done in a single leg) is pretty irrelevant. Either way, I just sleep through it, with a bit of pharmaceutical assistance.

15 at one go (SFO-SYD), or even 14+2 (SFO-HKG-BKK) is also a lot easier for me than 1+10+6 (SFO-LAX-NRT-BKK) as getting back to sleep on the shorter intra-Asia leg is generally much harder, and a 6-hour flight groggy but awake is not fun.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
I find once you're over about 10 hours, the difference between 10,11,14,15 (longest I've done in a single leg) is pretty irrelevant. Either way, I just sleep through it, with a bit of pharmaceutical assistance.
Unfortunately, in Y, I find I can generally only sleep 2-3 hours at a stretch, and in J I can sleep the entire flight if it's 6-8 hours.

I really felt the difference between hours 11 and 13 on AMS-SFO, a much longer and more tiresome flight than the shorter outbound flight.

15 at one go (SFO-SYD), or even 14+2 (SFO-HKG-BKK) is also a lot easier for me than 1+10+6 (SFO-LAX-NRT-BKK) as getting back to sleep on the shorter intra-Asia leg is generally much harder, and a 6-hour flight groggy but awake is not fun.
I believe my longest single Y flight to date is either AMS-SFO or SFO-AKL which are both 13-ish hour flights and within minutes of each other in length. It's too freakin' long.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by timfountain
If there's one thing that will reinforce an "us and them" feeling, this is it. It's not the 1800's any more and it is exactly this kind of class warfare between management and the workers is at the root of many industrial relations problems....
If all were subject to the same perks, there would be no incentive to perform, no drive to reach the top. There are rewards to be had for getting there, and it is not easy. Someone with 3 master degrees and 23 years under their belt in the corporate rat race deserves to fly in F for their tenure..someone 5 years in with some BA at 45k per year does not. They have not done their time.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deirdre
Unfortunately, in Y, I find I can generally only sleep 2-3 hours at a stretch, and in J I can sleep the entire flight if it's 6-8 hours.
There's a lot of individual difference in how easy it is to sleep in coach, although if you do it regularly and haven't already looked into pharmaceutical options I'd encourage speaking to your doctor about it - in my case, I had a good sense of prescription options (and a cooperative GP) due to some occasional insomnia issues before I started flying long-haul.

I find a good J seat much easier to sleep in unaided, although they're not all created equal, just as coach seats aren't.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:55 pm

There's a lot of individual difference in how easy it is to sleep in coach, although if you do it regularly and haven't already looked into pharmaceutical options I'd encourage speaking to your doctor about it - in my case, I had a good sense of prescription options (and a cooperative GP) due to some occasional insomnia issues before I started flying long-haul.

I find a good J seat much easier to sleep in unaided, although they're not all created equal, just as coach seats aren't.
CPAP + two sleep prescriptions at this particular age o' mine. So yeah, that's with chemical assistance. No way would I be able to fly long-haul transpac in Y these days for work.

In my case, it's actually physical pain that keeps me awake, but traveling with vicodin is problematic for some jurisdictions. For example, due to traveling onward to Dubai, it's not something I'm going to use on my 14-hour flight to Hong Kong.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 1:00 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by pinworm
If all were subject to the same perks, there would be no incentive to perform, no drive to reach the top. There are rewards to be had for getting there, and it is not easy.
I guess different people value different things, but if someone told me a driving force behind their professional ambition was getting to fly in J/F, I'd have a lot of difficulty not laughing right back at them.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Science Goy
I guess different people value different things, but if someone told me a driving force behind their professional ambition was getting to fly in J/F, I'd have a lot of difficulty not laughing right back at them.
No, it's not soley the driving force...it is simply a small perk in the bigger picture. The driving force is the increasing money and the influence. F/J is just icing on the cake.

It's unfortunate that the up and coming generation is now entering the workforce after having been told while growing up that self esteem was more important than anything else. Everyone was a "winner" in their gym classes, and effort was praised over accuracy. They are finding that in the corporate world that not everyone is, and constant praise is not forth coming . If they see a social injustice because I am the director flying in F and they are in Y because they are the entry level associate, they have forgotten their place on the food chain.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:05 am

Ditto, although it does depend on frequency; I can comfortably do a TPAC in Y for a week long trip once a quarter (which is, in fact, fairly typical for me) would be much harder if I was on the ground for a shorter time, or having to make the trip vastly more frequently.
I think frequency is pretty important. Because doing a TPAC in Y once a quarter is very different than doing a TPAC every other week in Y. Where I work they don't pay for J for any flight length (well except for our CEO). But, they will pay for premium economy or pay for a higher class Y fare to allow the employee to upgrade to business. And most importantly to me, the policy is applied consistently.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
No, it's not soley the driving force...
Well, yes. You might want to re-read my statement, and perhaps look up the difference between "a" and "the".

They are finding that in the corporate world that not everyone is, and constant praise is not forth coming . If they see a social injustice because I am the director flying in F and they are in Y because they are the entry level associate, they have forgotten their place on the food chain.
Actually, I think what you're seeing is a growing pool of extremely talented, highly-educated employees who are happy enough to have a job that flying in Y isn't even a factor. My colleagues are all of this mindset and wouldn't even consider asking for J tickets (even the top-level management). I suspect this trend will expand as boards and stockholders realize people will get the job done for one-tenth of the travel cost.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
The more I think about this, the less of an issue I see exists.

a) We are a startup. Rules are not written in stone but rather a work in progress. This is a learning experience for us to streamline travel processes as needed. I've got more important things to worry about than the semantics of the travel policy.

b) Management by democracy doesn't work. The final decision always rests with the person with whom the buck stops. Input and feedback is always welcome.

c) If the people who "should" have a problem with the issue credibly claim that they don't, then there is no issue.

d) We will continue to spend wisely on travel, not simply because its our policy, but because it is the sensible thing to do. Sometimes "wisely" may mean spending more, but usually it means spending less.

e) Precedent is irrelevant. This is not a court of law. Justify things on the basis of what needs to be done and why, rather than what was done or ignored in the past.

Just some managerial thoughts after a redeye flight (in Economy).
We are pondering putting in a "anything more than 2 consecutive redeyes or 24 hrs of continuous travel will have at least one redeye in Business Class" policy. 6 hours IMHO is ridiculously low. A vast majority of our travel is straightforward 17 hour trips. Those can easily be handled in Economy Class.
B747-437B,

Indeed, this is a very interesting conversation with a wide range of occassionally diverging opinions.

You have made some very good observations above.

I've worked for company that had rules like "over 5 time zones = J", or "intercontinental and over 3000 miles = J" (which then got changed to be "best practice" and went to over 3000 miles + VP or higher, or flights to Japan = J. Which means a 8-9hr overnight TATL, or 10hr SA flight was not quite good enough for J, but 12 hours to TYO was... but I digress...)

My advice, don't over complicate the travel policy, this isn't an algorithm for the next search engine you're creating. It will only serve to confuse rather than guide. (see points a) and d) )

A simple and reasonable policy with the provision for exceptions under certain condition and/or with certain approvals is fine. You may want to develop (over time and with experience in your start-up's life stages) your own guidelines to be consistent with when exception are made - but keep those to yourself as opposed to publishing a miriad of permutations and combinations. (see points a) and b) )

my $0.02...

Cheers,

Whitey
Old Feb 9, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; QF 1P; DJ WP; CX DIA, EK GL, HH DIAMOND; PC Spire RA; SPG PLAT; HERTZ PC; Avis CC
Originally Posted by Science Goy

Actually, I think what you're seeing is a growing pool of extremely talented, highly-educated employees who are happy enough to have a job that flying in Y isn't even a factor. My colleagues are all of this mindset and wouldn't even consider asking for J tickets (even the top-level management). I suspect this trend will expand as boards and stockholders realize people will get the job done for one-tenth of the travel cost.
This is not that uncommon. I have sat n Y with VP level staff from CISCO and other such tech companies flying TPAC to SFO-SYD. They all try and upgrade but once all of them including me but were all booked in to Y.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:15 pm

Would you consider revising the whole policy? That is a long pair of flights. Maybe a revision of the sort, if your flight exceeds the length of a regular work day, accommodations might be made, at least for the last leg?

Never mind, I see you've resolved it. All the best!

Last edited by mwedzi; Feb 11, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.