Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel policy conundrum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2012, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
The idea here is to reinforce the concept that exceptions must be few and far between, and mot to be requested in a light manner. Knowing that even the Chairperson cannot bypass the process would let the general staff members that travel that the standard (non-emergency) policy has credibility.
There is a procedure for exceptions and the procedure is that myself and the Chairman must approve any exceptions. To this point we have only ever approved one exception and that was for a contractor who we needed to have arrive at midnight after 23 hours of travel and hit the ground at 7am the next morning. We'd probably do the same if any of our own staff had to do a similar trip, but it hasn't come up yet except for me personally and I am quite happy to do that kind of trip in Economy.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 4:58 am

Programs: DL GE
I would look at changing this policy, ours I believe is 6+ hrs you get business OR the option of a $$$ bonus for taking Y. I would never take the $$$ option, but I imagine some would.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by brendog
How so? There are perks to being at the top of the foodchain, a higher class of travel being one of them. In my company of 5,000+ employees, there are approximately 20 people who could theoretically exercise this right, although very few of them do. Personally, I can't justify the additional expense, but YMMV.
If there's one thing that will reinforce an "us and them" feeling, this is it. It's not the 1800's any more and it is exactly this kind of class warfare between management and the workers is at the root of many industrial relations problems....
Old Feb 5, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by pragakhan
I would look at changing this policy, ours I believe is 6+ hrs you get business OR the option of a $$$ bonus for taking Y. I would never take the $$$ option, but I imagine some would.
This strikes me as reasonable. 17 hours in Y on red-eyes does not.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta, USAir, Marriott, SPG, AmEx
Originally Posted by B747-437B

Our Head of HR made some good points here. Our travel policy is guided by the philosophy that "an employee should neither unduly benefit nor unduly suffer as a result of business travel". Therefore, the standard of lifestyle that the company provides when traveling should be approximately equivalent to that we have when at home. Our Chairman flies in First because he drives around in a Rolls Royce and lives in a mansion. Our C-level staff, including myself, normally fly Business Class on personal travel (I usually use miles!), therefore it would not be particularly inconsiderate for me to even demand Business Class travel on company business.
Also, what would HR think about the "standard of lifestyle" of someone who is 6'4" and has a California King size bed, drives a large sedan, and purchases clothes at a big and tall shop? Would that person be "unduly benefiting" by spending 17 hours in a business class seat? Or would purchasing a seat that matches his body be in line with his standard of lifestyle?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigMoneyGrip
Also, what would HR think about the "standard of lifestyle" of someone who is 6'4" and has a California King size bed, drives a large sedan, and purchases clothes at a big and tall shop? Would that person be "unduly benefiting" by spending 17 hours in a business class seat? Or would purchasing a seat that matches his body be in line with his standard of lifestyle?
We have a 6'4" manager in the company who somewhat fits the above profile. He's happy to fly in Y class provided he can get his exit row extra legroom seat. I've done the same trip with him in Y class last March (I gave him the exit row aisle and took the middle seat myself).

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback. I think the wide disparity of views is actually a bit comforting - at least I know I won't be the only boss upsetting part of the workforce!
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: Free Agent
I'm presently working with a start-up organisation. As the COO, one of my main areas of focus is cost-control. This includes the travel policy, where we religiously enforce an Economy Class only rule for all employees on all travel. As a small company (~40 employees), all travel approvals come through my Inbox and I haven't yet approved any deviations.//Wondering if any folks here have any suggestions or advice?
I think that this is pretty clear. Your policy states Y only. Until that policy changes, Y only is the policy. If you book C/F, you're going to lose credibility with your employees and there will always be a question whether you abused your position. While the input from your chairman is important, your average employee will see two things: The policy that they thought was absolute and you ignoring the policy. They will not care about this debate or the intervention of the chairman.

I think the appropriate thing to do here would be to fly Y. If you feel that you need to fly C to keep up appearances with the chairman, then the appropriate thing to do is get into C using your own resources (upgrades or paying the difference out of pocket between Y and C). That way it looks like you took their advice, but you still conform to policy (The best of both worlds). After you get back, you can start the process of revising the policy to be less black and white, but when you do you will have full authority and legitimacy to do it.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeattleFlyerGuy
If you feel that you need to fly C to keep up appearances with the chairman, then the appropriate thing to do is get into C using your own resources (upgrades or paying the difference out of pocket between Y and C)
I will fly out in Business Class with the team per the Chairman's request, but our company will only bear the Economy Class cost per our policy.

as a rule of thumb we always give folks a rest day at destination on arrival...I am the only one who will not have a clear rest day upon arrival...I guess I will be more open to future requests from other staff who have a similar schedule with no rest day on arrival. The cost differential is only $650 for one-way in Business
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tjl
Perhaps he is worried that if you fly economy but he does not, he will look bad.
I was having thoughts along those lines, also.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by BigMoneyGrip
I would call 17 hours each way in coach unduly suffering. Does the company purchase "Y" fares so the employees with status at least have a chance at an upgrade? Or is the policy to purchase the cheapest economy fare possible?
I had even worse. I had my company pay for a Greyhound bus ride back home once from Tampa to NYC. But that was because a snowstorm on the east coast messed up the flights for days. It was after the December 19, 2009 snowstorm. Since it was around the holidays, flights were booked to capacity, and I couldn't get a flight until December 23 (and there was a forecast of another snowstorm around Christmas eve, so there was the possibility I would be stuck in Florida for Christmas). Amtrak was also sold out and would take longer than Greyhound. I did not want to drive back by myself, even if I stopped somewhere for the night, so I didn't rent a car. The Greyhound bus only took me 1 day and I got home late on the 20th, with a car service picking me up at the Newark Greyhound station (yeah, it was pretty ironic getting into a hired car after stepping off a Greyhound bus). I ended up keeping the credit for my return flight and used it towards a personal trip. That saved the company more money than having them put me up in a hotel for 3 days.

So there you have it, a long haul business trip on a Greyhound bus, by my choice, even though I had the option of an unscheduled 3 day vacation in Tampa paid for by my company.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:50 am
Suspended

Look, if the chairman wants you to do it, do it. And if it is perceived as unequitable, damn their impudence. They are not equal. This is not a democracy, this is a corporation. Egalitarianism does not apply.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by nd2010
I had even worse. I had my company pay for a Greyhound bus ride back home once from Tampa to NYC. But that was because a snowstorm on the east coast messed up the flights for days. It was after the December 19, 2009 snowstorm. Since it was around the holidays, flights were booked to capacity, and I couldn't get a flight until December 23 (and there was a forecast of another snowstorm around Christmas eve, so there was the possibility I would be stuck in Florida for Christmas). Amtrak was also sold out and would take longer than Greyhound. I did not want to drive back by myself, even if I stopped somewhere for the night, so I didn't rent a car. The Greyhound bus only took me 1 day and I got home late on the 20th, with a car service picking me up at the Newark Greyhound station (yeah, it was pretty ironic getting into a hired car after stepping off a Greyhound bus). I ended up keeping the credit for my return flight and used it towards a personal trip. That saved the company more money than having them put me up in a hotel for 3 days.

So there you have it, a long haul business trip on a Greyhound bus, by my choice, even though I had the option of an unscheduled 3 day vacation in Tampa paid for by my company.
If you were willing to do it, glad it worked out that it saved the company money, and you were able to benefit from the ticket.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

The more I think about this, the less of an issue I see exists.

a) We are a startup. Rules are not written in stone but rather a work in progress. This is a learning experience for us to streamline travel processes as needed. I've got more important things to worry about than the semantics of the travel policy.

b) Management by democracy doesn't work. The final decision always rests with the person with whom the buck stops. Input and feedback is always welcome.

c) If the people who "should" have a problem with the issue credibly claim that they don't, then there is no issue.

d) We will continue to spend wisely on travel, not simply because its our policy, but because it is the sensible thing to do. Sometimes "wisely" may mean spending more, but usually it means spending less.

e) Precedent is irrelevant. This is not a court of law. Justify things on the basis of what needs to be done and why, rather than what was done or ignored in the past.

Just some managerial thoughts after a redeye flight (in Economy).
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Just some managerial thoughts after a redeye flight (in Economy).
Personally, I'm a fan of the "anything over X hours" (where X is ~6 hours or a red-eye at least 5 hours where one's expected to hit the ground running) should be in business class even in a startup. I've flown a lot for clients over the years, but never spent longer than 6 hours in coach.

I get the point about costs and startups and all that -- I've worked a greater percentage of my 36 years in the tech industry in startups than most -- but there's only so far you can burn people before they go other places.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deirdre
Personally, I'm a fan of the "anything over X hours" (where X is ~6 hours or a red-eye at least 5 hours where one's expected to hit the ground running) should be in business class even in a startup.
We are pondering putting in a "anything more than 2 consecutive redeyes or 24 hrs of continuous travel will have at least one redeye in Business Class" policy. 6 hours IMHO is ridiculously low. A vast majority of our travel is straightforward 17 hour trips. Those can easily be handled in Economy Class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.