Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What will happen to luggage if I ditch last leg of return flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What will happen to luggage if I ditch last leg of return flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2012, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Talked to Delta

Hey all. Thanks so much for your help. I finally called Delta and talked to a CS agent. I told her that since it was a 20 hour layover, we wanted to leave the airport and go to my sister's house. Would I have to take my luggage with me? Yes, she said. You will. You will get it in baggage claim and then recheck it for your flight to BHam. So I think we will be good to go.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
In a case like this, I assume the DL agent in Dublin would tag the bag only to ATL, right? You'd see the agent attach the ATL tag to your bag (not BHM), so you'd know that the bag isn't getting past Atlanta no matter what.

Of course, by the time you're handing over the bag to the Dublin DL agent, you'd also know whether you're going through a preclearance or not...

In any case, short-checking with an overnight connection is a fairly normal practice. I've actually had Delta do it for me in Atlanta on an outbound international itin. Even if DUB is doing full preclearance, I don't think a DL agent will argue with you if you tell him/her you need your bag for the 20 hours in Atlanta.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:46 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Whenever I've had an overnight international connection it's always been my choice if I wanted the bags checked through to the final destination or if I wanted them at the connecting city. Your best alternative is to ask they check them through to Atlanta when you are checking in, if they ask tell them you need them for your overnight.

Even if they do manage to check them through, you can probably just show up and pick them up at the airport when your flight is scheduled to arrive.

Also note if there are earlier flights from ATL to BHM before the one you are on, they may send your bags on any of them, so they could be sitting there for hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.