Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Soon to be husband in charge of the honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Soon to be husband in charge of the honeymoon

First time poster here so forgive me if this is not the correct section to post.

I will be getting hitched in late June and need some help from you well-traveled folks on a honeymoon trip I am in charge of planning and paying for. We are paying for our wedding and honeymoon so I have been accumulating frequent flyer miles (over 200k now) to take us anywhere we want to go. My future Mrs is amazing so I want to do something special such as Fiji. Does anyone have recommendations on resorts that won't cost as much as the wedding? Or possibly another destination where the dollar holds up well? Trying to find answers to these questions online has been a little frustrating so I greatly appreciate any advice!

Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:37 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, chllone and congratulations on your engagement. I believe that TravelBuzz is the the most suitable forum for you at this time.
All best wishes,
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels (and TravelBuzz)
Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Not quite enough information.

where will you be flying from?

Have you gathered any hotel points?

What airline are your FF miles on and have you already booked your tickets?

If you haven't booked tickets do you know for a fact that you can get FF tickets at this late date assuming you mean June 2012?
Old Jan 21, 2012, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Have you gathered any hotel points?
that and budget would establish best forum
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:46 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
in order to suggest a resort that doesn't cost as much as the wedding, will you post the $...
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:26 pm
In Memoriam

what activities, other than the obvious, would y'all like to do?.....are water sports/beach at the top of your list?....how long?

coasta rica can be interesting and inexpensive if you don't stay at the sjo marriott....
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:28 pm
In Memoriam

what ff mi do you have?
Old Jan 21, 2012, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

Flying out of the DC area with United. I have not booked yet because I do not know where we will be going. I am looking for more relaxing beach / private villa idea so attractions are not important to us.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 2:04 pm
In Memoriam

further down, there are the destinations forums....maybe you will find some info there to narrow your ?s.....
Old Jan 21, 2012, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you dont have to be specific, but considering hotels can run a few hundred to a few thousand (base rates) some general idea allows best suggestions

maldives are better value than pacific (fiji, bora bora, australia) and caribbean

asia (and central/south america) are even cheaper (more land than island)

http://www.kiwicollection.com/ might be a good place for ideas other than inexpensive

for hotel points, there are hotel point forums
for really inexpensive, there is budget forum
for higher end, there is lots of discussion in luxury hotels forum

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 21, 2012 at 2:57 pm
Old Jan 21, 2012, 3:16 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
The preceding posts are true-enough.

BUT....First, Congrats!

Second, it's like shooting darts at a board. Yes, many of us are well-traveled, but we're not you and do not know your taste.

What do you like? Do you want to be in a REMOTE location in a hut over the water with nothing but the tropical breeze blowing in and romantic sunsets to look at? Do you want some fun in the sun? Do you wish an all inclusive retreat with lots of fun things to do?

OK, here's a stab in the dark.

I tend to like the Secrets resorts in the Dominican Republic or in Cancun (Riviera). They are beautiful, have great things to do from horseback riding to day spas, and it's pay one price. You can dine anywhere and everywhere on the resorts for one price, and drink to your heart's content (if that's your gig) without worrying about breaking the bank.

I've also stayed at the Bora Bora Bungalos http://www.overwater-bungalows.com/
They are romantic, and remote. But if I were to marry my current girlfriend, she'd be board out of her mind in 10 minutes FLAT! She's a gal that wants lots of things to do every day and can't sit around and watch the world go by.

Do you want to travel outside the US? Do you want to stay in the US? I live part time in Hawaii and there are some AWESOME places to stay in Hawaii, yet you are in the US so no passport issues. Not that this is a huge deal, but I don't know your preferences.
Anywhere in the Wailea resort area on the island of Maui will be superb. I prefer the Grand Wailea, but there are numerous resorts and hotels that are all very nice.

You've got the luxury of the internet. Have fun surfing and selecting!

And, congrats again.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus; Southwest; American Airlines
a few other things to consider...

...has she traveled much? What is her tolerance for length of flight? Does she feel comfortable leaving the states?

And Congratulations!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:49 am

Congrats!

I we did our honeymoon in Fiji at Tokoriki Island Resort. We used airline miles for the flights and booked the hotel with an Australian company called Travelonline.com. The price was in Aussies and at the time we saved extra due to the exchange rate. No American companies came close to the Aussie dollar price.

We had a great time but do note that these resorts are remote! And, it may be worth spreading the trip over a couple different resorts.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
If you are on a more limited budget, you may want to consider Southeast Asia (Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia). I suggested those because they are farther away, less accessible and thus more special than Mexico. (There are some really nice secluded beach places in Mexico as well though.)

If you want something more private and not surrounded by fat tourists, you should cross the Caribbean off the list.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
If you want to use your UA miles, I would use one of the award search engines to see what is available for your travel dates.

There is a new one for Star Alliance:

http://awardfinder.juny4ng.com/

And ckpeter has one that I believe is free for FT members and is good for all alliances:

http://awardnexus.com/

That way you can see if there are seats available for destinations you want.

PS - I just looked in June and I see saver availability from WAS to Mexico and Hawaii.

Last edited by cheltzel; Jan 24, 2012 at 11:15 am Reason: add search results

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.