Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transporting pizza

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2011, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Transporting pizza

So I have a trip coming up and I love this pizza place I found there. Absolutely to die for.

Anyways I want to try and get 5 or 6 of these pies back with me. What methods do I have to do this?

I already know of
1) dry ice + ship it

But I was wondering what other ideas are out there? Thanks for any input you guys have. Girls too

For instance: Can I bring like 6 pies with dry ice in a box as carry-on luggage? Can I put it in the overhead bin? Is the melted cheese considered a liquid (haha I know)?

What about packing it in my suitcase?

Last edited by factory81; Dec 10, 2011 at 9:58 am
Old Dec 10, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
I'd be interested in this too but I'm not looking to transport pizza but how to get a Cheesecake from the cheesecake factory back to Europe. Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
You might want to Google "can I carry dry ice on a plane." It appears that it is possible, but there is a limit to how much you can bring on board. All of the sites I found recommend that you call the airline ahead of time for their rules.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I couldn't find anything about dry-ice, but here's the link for the TSA website.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/index.shtm
Old Dec 10, 2011, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by factory81
So I have a trip coming up and I love this pizza place I found there. Absolutely to die for.

Anyways I want to try and get 5 or 6 of these pies back with me. What methods do I have to do this?

I already know of
1) dry ice + ship it

But I was wondering what other ideas are out there? Thanks for any input you guys have. Girls too

For instance: Can I bring like 6 pies with dry ice in a box as carry-on luggage? Can I put it in the overhead bin? Is the melted cheese considered a liquid (haha I know)?

I have transported pizzas before and unless you are driving, I think the best way to do it is to have the pizza place ship it to you. I wouldn't mess with it on a flight.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 4:06 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Yes you can bring dry ice on a plane.

No you won't find any container that you can use for six pizzas they would allow on the plane.

I say freeze them, pack them in a box lined with foam insulation from home depot, and over night them.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Muerz
I'd be interested in this too but I'm not looking to transport pizza but how to get a Cheesecake from the cheesecake factory back to Europe. Thanks in advance!
On this one, check restrictions - anything dairy could cause you problems - and I say this as someone who is oft befriended by food sniffer dogs!
Old Dec 10, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Easy way is to just eat the cheesecake, although I'd skip trying to eat all 6 pizzas, then travel.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
I doubt that there will be anying special about this pizza once you freeze it.

My recommendation would be talk to the place and see if you can get the recipe and make it yourself at home.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:15 pm
Formerly known as MLW20

Programs: AA LT GOLD, Delta, UA/Continental & many others
Originally Posted by factory81

I already know of
1) dry ice + ship it

I'd love to know what place is so amazing that you want to go through all of this trouble to bring six pies home!
Can you let us know the name & location of the place???
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Kinda wonder about the 6 pizzas..

You could try and get measurement of the biggest container that would fit the dimensions allowable for a carryon.. and find a container that will transport the pizzas that fit those requirements..

Or can you check your pizzas in your suitcase?
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:19 am

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Having food flown in from overseas isn't unknown, McDonalds burgers have been flown from China to North Korea for the ruling elite to enjoy (whilst others starve).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...McDonalds.html
Old Dec 11, 2011, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My stupid question is... How can you eat a frozen pizza and still like it? ;-)

(I'm sorry, I'm italian...)
Old Dec 11, 2011, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
One of the more reknown pizza resaurants in New Haven, CT (home o the best pizza ) will half cook a pie and vacuum seal it. You finish it at home. Not quite as good as the real thing, but better than most pies you'll buy elsewhere. Perhaps your place can do this.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichaelWTravels
I'd love to know what place is so amazing that you want to go through all of this trouble to bring six pies home!
Can you let us know the name & location of the place???
Settebello Pizza in Salt Lake City (they also have a location in Las Vegas and Pasadena, CA).
http://settebello.net/

Wood fired, I would describe the sauce as a sweet tomato sauce - a little high on the oily side.

I am a bit of a pizza aficionado you could say being in college and when on a ski trip the cost of a pizza is just always the right price. Well anyways I try out countless pizza places in SLC to find a lot of blah, but then I came across this gem here and now......I want to bring a lot of them home with me....really bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.