Wiki Posts
Search

Transporting pizza

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Kinda wonder about the 6 pizzas..

You could try and get measurement of the biggest container that would fit the dimensions allowable for a carryon.. and find a container that will transport the pizzas that fit those requirements..

Or can you check your pizzas in your suitcase?
I thought the suitcase would be treated too rough for the pizza toppings. I was thinking it could be a real mess by the time I get home. I sorta think the dry ice + carry-on approach or ship it overnight (a little more expensive route then I want to take) are the only 2 routes that work well.

Ideally I want to figure out how to store these in an overhead bin. I have seen more ridiculous stuff on a plane then some guy trying to bring some pizza home.

I have seen some pizza places package their pizzas I guess you could say in an entirely different fashion that might prove very useful here. Their method of packing was a bottom pizza cardboard tray with a lip. It also was constructed on the exterior to not allow grease to drip through it. The lip kept the pizza in place during transportation (Think bringing it home), then there was another well...larger one of these on top, maybe 1/2 inch larger in diameter so this lid could fit over the pizza, and over the lip of the bottom tray. Then they slid this assembled tray in to a paper pizza bag (not your traditional pizza box). It allowed for easy stacking of pizzas with little concern over toppings since the exterior of those cardboard "trays" had a grease resistant that also made it difficult for toppings/cheese to stick to it. This method looks to not be taken mainstream and I only can ever recall a small chain of pizzas places doing this.

I could fit 6 of these Settebello pizzas in a pizza box design like that in something like 8-10 inches of height due to the compact design.

Last edited by factory81; Dec 11, 2011 at 9:24 am
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
If it can fit in a suitcase, check it. I checked a suitcase containing a birthday cake once on LGA-ROC; flight got canceled, ended up going via PHL so it was in a Dash 8-100 AND then a CRJ-200 too. Worked out fine, wasn't "damaged" or anything at all.

Enjoy your food!

-J.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by factory81
I thought the suitcase would be treated too rough for the pizza toppings. I was thinking it could be a real mess by the time I get home. I sorta think the dry ice + carry-on approach or ship it overnight (a little more expensive route then I want to take) are the only 2 routes that work well.

Ideally I want to figure out how to store these in an overhead bin. I have seen more ridiculous stuff on a plane then some guy trying to bring some pizza home.

I have seen some pizza places package their pizzas I guess you could say in an entirely different fashion that might prove very useful here. Their method of packing was a bottom pizza cardboard tray with a lip. It also was constructed on the exterior to not allow grease to drip through it. The lip kept the pizza in place during transportation (Think bringing it home), then there was another well...larger one of these on top, maybe 1/2 inch larger in diameter so this lid could fit over the pizza, and over the lip of the bottom tray. Then they slid this assembled tray in to a paper pizza bag (not your traditional pizza box). It allowed for easy stacking of pizzas with little concern over toppings since the exterior of those cardboard "trays" had a grease resistant that also made it difficult for toppings/cheese to stick to it. This method looks to not be taken mainstream and I only can ever recall a small chain of pizzas places doing this.

I could fit 6 of these Settebello pizzas in a pizza box design like that in something like 8-10 inches of height due to the compact design.
Makes sense to take all precautions.. I figure if Delissio can do it, and when baked seems delivered.. ..

There must be some sort of science that will have you satisfied with the pizza packaging.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 7:51 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Originally Posted by ale.penazzi
My stupid question is... How can you eat a frozen pizza and still like it? ;-)

(I'm sorry, I'm italian...)
Agreed, decent pizza should always be fresh out of the oven. I'm Pennsylvania Dutch (German), but I know good pies a la NJ and Milan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.