FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

jlemon Feb 3, 2017 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 27861835)
note that 5-minute gate time (in 1136, out 1141) at GSO!

Yep, I went back and checked the PI system timetable and it lists a five minute ground time at Greensboro-High Point. Might be a misprint or it could have been a very quick turn with only one engine shut down.

jlemon Feb 3, 2017 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 27841982)

28. In 2000, this airline was operating nonstop service between Lake Tahoe (TVL) and Long Beach (LGB) with three round trip flights a week. Identify the air carrier and the equipment. Allegiant operating a _____________

29. Only one airline was operating MD-80 service into Minot, ND in 1989 with two flights a day. These flights made an intermediate stop en route from their originating airport before arriving in Minot. Name the the air carrier that operated these flights, the airport the flights originated from and the en route stop. ANSWERED

31. It's 1984. A early season backpacking trip on west slope of the northern Sierra Nevada mountains in the Plumas National Forest has been cut short due to heavy snow (and you thought California was experiencing one of its winter-time droughts). So you decide to head down to Santa Barbara and check in with your old sailing buddy as he has a couple of possible deals cooking concerning several "pre-owned" sailboats. You're pleased to discover there's a daily flight from the closest airport to your location in rural Butte County which departs at 6:15 am and arrives in SBA at 9:40 am. Three intermediate stops will be made en route. Name the airline, the airport you'll be departing from, the equipment and all three stops in the order in which they will be made.

32. Also in 1984, this airline was operating daily direct service from Kansas City (MCI) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) with one flight a day. The service departed MCI at 5:10 pm and arrived in FLL at 11:30 pm with three stops being made en route. Identify the air carrier, the aircraft type and all three stops in order.

33. Now it's 1983 and you are in Philadelphia. You've discovered a very interesting flight which operates on the weekdays to Chicago. What has caught your eye is the equipment: a Convair 440. This service makes two stops en route. Name the airline and the two stops in order. ANSWERED

37. It's late summer in Nashville in 1976 and you need to travel to Minneapolis/St. Paul for an early dinner meeting. You've found a direct flight departing BNA at high noon six days a week which will get you into MSP at 3:42p - plenty of time for dinner. This service will make three stops en route. Name the air carrier, the aircraft and all three stops in the order in which they will be made.

38. In 1975, what did Kamloops and Kelowna in B.C. share in common with regard to their nonstop service from Vancouver operated by Pacific Western?

40. In 1962, Delta was operating direct, no change of plane service on a daily basis from Chicago O'Hare to Los Angeles. Three intermediate stops were made en route. Identify the aircraft type and all three stops in order.
ANSWERED

Still looking for correct answers for the above.....

YVR Cockroach Feb 3, 2017 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 27862058)
29. Only one airline was operating MD-80 service into Minot, ND in 1989 with two flights a day. These flights made an intermediate stop en route from their originating airport before arriving in Minot. Name the the air carrier that operated these flights, the airport the flights originated from and the en route stop.

I'm make a guess based on elimination, proximity and probability.

The airline with the closest hub in the region and also operating MD-80s at the time was CO, so the flight originated in DEN (Stapleton) and guessing it stopped at Rapid City, SD (RAP).

jrl767 Feb 3, 2017 4:55 pm

28. In 2000, this airline was operating nonstop service between Lake Tahoe (TVL) and Long Beach (LGB) with three round trip flights a week. Identify the air carrier and the equipment.

28- this sounds like it may have been an early incarnation of Allegiant, most likely with an MD-80

40. In 1962, Delta was operating direct, no change of plane service on a daily basis from Chicago O'Hare to Los Angeles. Three intermediate stops were made en route. Identify the aircraft type and all three stops in order.

40- I'll start the speculation with a Convair 880 stopping at Atlanta (ATL), Dallas (DAL), and San Diego (SAN)

YVR Cockroach Feb 3, 2017 4:59 pm

38. In 1975, what did Kamloops and Kelowna in B.C. share in common with regard to their nonstop service from Vancouver operated by Pacific Western?

Would it have been something as improbable these days as a meal service of some sort for such short flights (160 and 179 miles) on a jet (737-200)?

jlemon Feb 4, 2017 8:28 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach (Post 27862474)

The airline with the closest hub in the region and also operating MD-80s at the time was CO, so the flight originated in DEN (Stapleton) and guessing it stopped at Rapid City, SD (RAP).

29. Continental is correct! However, these flights did not stop at Rapid City.

jlemon Feb 4, 2017 8:30 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 27862486)
28- this sounds like it may have been an early incarnation of Allegiant, most likely with an MD-80

40- I'll start the speculation with a Convair 880 stopping at Atlanta (ATL), Dallas (DAL), and San Diego (SAN)

28. Allegiant is correct! However, the equipment was not an MD-80.

40. The Convair 880 is correct! However, this flight did not stop in San Diego.

jlemon Feb 4, 2017 8:31 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach (Post 27862494)
Would it have been something as improbable these days as a meal service of some sort for such short flights (160 and 179 miles) on a jet (737-200)?

38. Another good guess! However, this quiz item does not concern PW meal service.

teddybear99 Feb 4, 2017 11:27 am

33. How about Liberty Airlines with enroute stops in Canton/Akron and Toledo, Ohio.

teddybear99 Feb 4, 2017 11:50 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach (Post 27862474)

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 27864392)
29. Continental is correct! However, these flights did not stop at Rapid City.

I will tap in and say the intermediate stop was at Bismarck, ND

jrl767 Feb 4, 2017 11:51 am

40- I don't think DL served any other destinations between DAL and LAX, so the question comes down to whether the missing stop was before or after ATL ... St. Louis (STL) and New Orleans (MSY) respectively fit the bill, but I expect we're actually looking for a less obvious point ... how about Orlando (probably ORL, as I don't remember the Air Force agreement for airline operations at McCoy AFB [MCO] being in place that early)

teddybear99 Feb 4, 2017 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon;27857557
[B
Bonus Quiz Item:[/B] Identify the only other airline to operate mainline jet equipment into Lawton as well as the aircraft type.

American Airlines on occasion will operate MD-82 or MD-83 into Lawton as peak time aircraft, however this will come to an end soon as they are being retired.

jlemon Feb 5, 2017 9:48 am

Originally Posted by teddybear99 (Post 27865043)
33. How about Liberty Airlines with enroute stops in Canton/Akron and Toledo, Ohio.

33. Correct! Here's the sched....

CK 202: Philadelphia (PHL) 2:40p - 4:15p Akron/Canton (CAK) 4:30p - 5:15p Toledo (TOL) 5:30p - 5:40p Chicago (ORD)
Op: Daily except Saturdays and Sundays
Equip: CV-440

jlemon Feb 5, 2017 9:58 am

Originally Posted by teddybear99 (Post 27865111)
I will tap in and say the intermediate stop was at Bismarck, ND

29. Yep, quite true. CO was operating MD-80 service twice a day on a DEN-BIS-MOT routing at this time.

jlemon Feb 5, 2017 10:21 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 27865118)
40- I don't think DL served any other destinations between DAL and LAX, so the question comes down to whether the missing stop was before or after ATL ... St. Louis (STL) and New Orleans (MSY) respectively fit the bill, but I expect we're actually looking for a less obvious point ... how about Orlando (probably ORL, as I don't remember the Air Force agreement for airline operations at McCoy AFB [MCO] being in place that early)

40. To the best of my knowledge, Orlando Herndon Airport (ORL, now Orlando Executive Airport) never received scheduled passenger jet service with mainline jet equipment although it did see L-188 Electra flights operated by Eastern and National. It appears the reason for this was the runway length at Herndon. The advent of jet aircraft types such as the Convair 880 with their requirement for longer runways resulted in McCoy Air Force Base being used for such flights. Several airlines, such as Delta and Eastern, ran split operations in Orlando between MCO and ORL for a time with prop aircraft being operated from ORL and the jets from MCO. This particular flight was no exception. Here's the sched from February of 1962.....

DL 841: Chicago O'Hare (ORD) 8:00a - 10:21a Atlanta (ATL) 10:56a - 11:56a Orlando McCoy AFB (MCO) 12:40p - 1:57p - Dallas Love Field (DAL) 2:30p - 3:25p Los Angeles (LAX)
Op: Daily
Equip: CV-880 Royal JET Service
Service classes: F/R (Deluxe First Class and Day Supercoach)
Cabin service: Breakfast ORD-ATL, Light Refreshment Service in first class ATL-MCO, Lunch MCO-DAL, Snack DAL-LAX

BTW, Delta was operating Douglas DC-7 service at this same time into Orlando Herndon with a routing example being ORD-SDF-ATL-ORL with this flight featuring Deluxe Royal Service in first class and Royal Scot Day Coach.