FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

miniliq Jan 19, 2017 10:17 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 27762140)
The first three quiz items have a time line of 1963:

3. Time for a Caribbean milk run! This air carrier was operating a daily flight departing from Miami (MIA) at 8:00 am and arriving in Port of Spain, Trindad (POS) at 9:50 pm with six stops being made en route. Only coach service was offered on this flight. Name the airline and also identify the equipment as well as all six stops in the order in which they were made.

This has to be BWIA, with Viscount service --
1. MIA
2. Montego Bay, Jamaica (MBJ)
3. Kingston, Jamaica (KIN)
4. San Juan, PR (SJU)
5. St. John's, Antigua (ANU)
6. Either Martinique or St. Lucia -- I'll go with Fort de France, Martinique (FDF)
7. Bridgetown, Barbados (BGI)
8. Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago (POS)
We lived in POS many years later, but used BWIA to visit all of these stops.

BTW, While MSY was suffering through freezing weather about 10 days ago, we extended our stay in Thailand to continue enjoying beach weather. Once again had to change our homeward routing, but enjoyed ANA's 787-9 from BKK-NRT and their 777-300ER from NRT-IAH.

jrl767 Jan 19, 2017 11:22 am

1967:
12. Sabena was using two different aircraft types at this time for its service between its home base in Brussels and Africa. Several of these flights connected to other Sabena flights in Africa which were operated with yet another aircraft type. Name all three aircraft.

12- ok: SN certainly operated the 707, but I can't associate them with any other early 4-engine jet (Comet, VC-10, DC-8, 880/990), so I'd guess that they ran Caravelles from BRU to Africa via other major European cities (think Paris, Rome, Athens, et al) ... as far as local services within Africa, these may have still been covered by vintage DC-6s

Seat 2A Jan 20, 2017 2:11 pm

Sorry for the absence. I've been distracted getting a trip report published. But now I'm back and so...

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 27746206)
10. Two airlines were operating nonstop service between Moscow and London Heathrow at this time. Each air carrier operated three round trip flights a week. Identify both airlines and the respective equipment they operated on the route.

Just off the top of my head, I'm gonna start off with Aeroflot and BEA...

jlemon Jan 21, 2017 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by miniliq (Post 27787343)
This has to be BWIA, with Viscount service --

1. MIA
2. Montego Bay, Jamaica (MBJ)
3. Kingston, Jamaica (KIN)
4. San Juan, PR (SJU)
5. St. John's, Antigua (ANU)
6. Either Martinique or St. Lucia -- I'll go with Fort de France, Martinique (FDF)
7. Bridgetown, Barbados (BGI)
8. Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago (POS)

We lived in POS many years later, but used BWIA to visit all of these stops.

And apologies for my absence as well! I've been out of town on business but have now safely returned home once again.

3. British West Indian Airways a.k.a. BWIA a.k.a. "Bee Wee" operating a Vickers Viscount is correct! BTW, I believe WHBM mentioned awhile back that BWIA's Viscount aircraft were provided by BOAC.

With regard to the stops, you missed one and got another one, being Fort de France (FDF) incorrect. In addition, this flight did not stop in St. Lucia and the order of your stops is off a bit.

So we are looking for just one more stop here with all stops listed in their correct order.

jlemon Jan 21, 2017 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 27787721)
12- ok: SN certainly operated the 707, but I can't associate them with any other early 4-engine jet (Comet, VC-10, DC-8, 880/990), so I'd guess that they ran Caravelles from BRU to Africa via other major European cities (think Paris, Rome, Athens, et al) ... as far as local services within Africa, these may have still been covered by vintage DC-6s

12. Yep, Sabena was operating 707 service between Brussels and Africa and was also operating the DC-6 on connecting flights within Africa.

However, SN was not operating the Caravelle on its African services nor were they operating any of the other equipment you have mentioned at this time.

So we are still looking for one more aircraft type.

jlemon Jan 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 27793264)
Sorry for the absence. I've been distracted getting a trip report published. But now I'm back and so...

Well, welcome back, sir! And I'm looking forward to that trip report!

10. Aeroflot and British European Airways (BEA) are correct!

However, you have not identified the respective aircraft types they were operating on the route.

jlemon Jan 21, 2017 1:34 pm

The following quiz item has a time line of 1963:

3. Time for a Caribbean milk run! This air carrier was operating a daily flight departing from Miami (MIA) at 8:00 am and arriving in Port of Spain, Trindad (POS) at 9:50 pm with six stops being made en route. Only coach service was offered on this flight. Name the airline and also identify the equipment as well as all six stops in the order in which they were made. ANSWERED

The following quiz item has a time line of 1965:

4. You are in Virginia Beach, VA and need to travel to Iowa City, IA. However, neither city has a commercially served airfield. You've found a direct, no change of plane flight from the airport closest to Virginia Beach to the airport closest to Iowa City. You'll depart at 5:50 am and seven stops later arrive at 2:09 pm on board an aircraft configured with an all single class cabin. Identify the departure and arrival airports, the air carrier, the equipment and all seven stops in the order in which they will be made. ANSWERED

The next five quiz items have a time line of 1967:

8. How many nonstop flights was North Central operating from Milwaukee (MKE) to Chicago O'Hare (ORD) on a weekday basis at this time? And how many of these flights were operated with a McDonnell Douglas DC-9-30? NC was operating more than 20 departures a day on weekdays from MKE to ORD and the D9S was operated on the route.

10. Two airlines were operating nonstop service between Moscow and London Heathrow at this time. Each air carrier operated three round trip flights a week. Identify both airlines and the respective equipment they operated on the route. ANSWERED

12. Sabena was using two different aircraft types at this time for its service between its home base in Brussels and Africa. Several of these flights connected to other Sabena flights in Africa which were operated with yet another aircraft type. Name all three aircraft. ANSWERED

13. Air Ceylon was operating a weekly round trip flight between London and Colombo in cooperation with another airline at this time. This flight made two stops in both directions. Identify the other air carrier, the equipment and the stops. ANSWERED

14. You are in Recife, Brazil where you've arrived by chartered DC-3 after enjoying a river cruise through the Amazon rain forest. Now it's time to get back to your work as a consultant and you have accepted a project in London. You've found a flight which operates twice a week from Recife Guararapes Airport to London Heathrow that meets your schedule so you book a seat in first class. This flight will make three stops en route. Name the airline and also identify the aircraft and all three stops in order. ANSWERED

And we are still looking for answers for the above.....

miniliq Jan 21, 2017 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 27797180)
3. British West Indian Airways a.k.a. BWIA a.k.a. "Bee Wee" operating a Vickers Viscount is correct! BTW, I believe WHBM mentioned awhile back that BWIA's Viscount aircraft were provided by BOAC.

With regard to the stops, you missed one and got another one, being Fort de France (FDF) incorrect. In addition, this flight did not stop in St. Lucia and the order of your stops is off a bit.

So we are looking for just one more stop here with all stops listed in their correct order.

Hmm -- I'll try again by adding Grand Cayman (GCM) as the first stop out of MIA, then Montego Bay (MBJ), Kingston (KIN), San Juan (SJU), Antigua (ANU), Barbados (BGI) -- but you said they were in the wrong order -- I'm stumped there.

jrl767 Jan 21, 2017 2:26 pm

12- let's go with the ubiquitous 727 as the missing Sabena aircraft

jlemon Jan 21, 2017 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by miniliq (Post 27797361)
Hmm -- I'll try again by adding Grand Cayman (GCM) as the first stop out of MIA, then Montego Bay (MBJ), Kingston (KIN), San Juan (SJU), Antigua (ANU), Barbados (BGI) -- but you said they were in the wrong order -- I'm stumped there.

Well, by inserting Grand Cayman (GCM) as the first stop and eliminating Fort de France (FDF) as the fifth stop, you now have all the stops in correct order!

Here's the sched....

BA 405: Miami (MIA) 8:00a - 10:00a Grand Cayman 10:15a - 11:20a Montego Bay (MBJ) 11:35a - 12:10p Kingston (KIN) 1:00p - 4:55p San Juan (SJU) 5:30p - 6:55p Antigua (ANU) 7:10p - 8:35p Barbados (BGI) 8:50p - 9:50p Port of Spain (POS)
Op: Daily
Equip: Viscount
Class of service: Y

Note the above flight number is preceded by "BA" although this schedule is taken from a 1963 BWIA system timetable. I'm sure there's interesting story concerning why this is....

jlemon Jan 21, 2017 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 27797499)
12- let's go with the ubiquitous 727 as the missing Sabena aircraft

12. Correct! I believe Sabena introduced the Boeing 727-100 into their fleet in 1967. Two of the African routes operated by SN with the 727 at this time were Brussels - Athens - Jeddah - Kigali - Bujumbura and Brussels - Athens - Jeddah - Entebbe - Bujumbura. Each service was operated once a week.

Seat 2A Jan 21, 2017 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 27797238)
10. Two airlines were operating nonstop service between Moscow and London Heathrow at this time. Each air carrier operated three round trip flights a week. Identify both airlines and the respective equipment they operated on the route.

Aeroflot and British European Airways (BEA) are correct! However, you have not identified the respective aircraft types they were operating on the route.

Sorry about that! Let's go with the Trident for BEA and I seem to recall seeing schedules for the TU-134 into London a lot more than I ever did the IL-62, the latter being relegated primarily to longer distance routes. Then again, was the TU-154 up and running by 1967? I don't think so - not until about 1970 if I recall, so let's go with the TU-134 and Bob's your uncle!

P.S. I am in Colorado at present, next stop the Mojave Desert followed by a quick trip to Atlanta before returning to FAI by month's end. Then a quick day trip down to LAX for the airline collectibles convention. You'll find that trip report already posted at the Trip Report forum.

jrl767 Jan 21, 2017 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 27767011)
4. Yep, the equipment was a good ol' Vickers Viscount ... routing ...

Norfolk (ORF)
1. Newport News (PHF)
2. Washington D.C. National (DCA)
3. ________________
4. Detroit Willow Run (YIP)
5. ________________
6. Saginaw/Bay City/ Midland (MBS)
7. Chicago O'Hare (ORD)
Cedar Rapids (CID)

4. let's go with Cleveland (CLE) as #3 and Flint (FNT) as #5

JoeDTW Jan 22, 2017 1:55 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 27797276)
And we are still looking for answers for the above.....

8. North Central's ORD-MKE flights were almost a shuttle, so I'll guess 15x day each way. NC did not take delivery of their DC-9-30s until late summer 1967, and I think they probably would have been deployed mainly on their longer routes. I'll guess no flights between ORD and MKE used them.

14. The British operator to Brazil at this time was British United, which would have used LGW, so I'll guess Varig, with a DC-8, stopping at Dakar, Lisbon, and Paris Orly

jlemon Jan 22, 2017 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 27798254)
P.S. I am in Colorado at present, next stop the Mojave Desert followed by a quick trip to Atlanta before returning to FAI by month's end. Then a quick day trip down to LAX for the airline collectibles convention. You'll find that trip report already posted at the Trip Report forum.

10. Ah, Aeroflot (SU) and BEA (BE) were operating different aircraft types at this time between Moscow and London with regard to the equipment you have listed.

Please guess again......and safe travels!