FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

jlemon Jan 24, 2017 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 27813229)
27- where might an Eastern jet from TiCo have stopped en route to Atlanta? let's go with another relatively small city -- Gainesville (GNV); if not, third guess also small -- Daytona Beach (DAB)

27. Please keep guessing! The first stop was in Florida; however, it was not DAB or GNV.

jrl767 Jan 24, 2017 7:31 pm

27- Orlando (MCO) just seems too easy, but I think Jacksonville (JAX) would be a strong possibility

jlemon Jan 24, 2017 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 27813264)
27- Orlando (MCO) just seems too easy, but I think Jacksonville (JAX) would be a strong possibility

27. Well, it was not JAX....but this Eastern flight did make a very short hop from Titusville to Orlando (probably less than 15 minutes of actual flight time). Here's the sched.....

EA 588: Titusvillle (currently TIX) 7:35p - 7:50p Orlando (MCO) 8:15p - 9:25p Atlanta (ATL) 10:05p - 11:30p Philadelphia (PHL) 12:05a - 1:07a Boston (BOS)
Op: Daily
Classes of service: TIX-ATL F/Y, ATL-BOS FN/YN

VH-RMD Jan 24, 2017 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 27812980)
18. Correct!

19. Correct!

BTW, Ansett-ANA was only operating two departures a week with the Boeing 727-100 from both Alice Springs and Mount Isa at this time with one nonstop flight a week from both destinations to Darwin. Alice Springs had a weekly 727 nonstop to Adelaide continuing on to Melbourne while Mount Isa had a weekly 727 nonstop to Brisbane.

20. Ah....what kind of Sikorsky helicopter?

S 61 also sometimes called Sea King.

JoeDTW Jan 25, 2017 7:29 am

[QUOTE=jlemon;27813005]22. TWA is correct!

However, Wichita (ICT) was not one of the stops although this flight did stop at Chicago O'Hare and Kansas City. And the aircraft was not a Boeing 727-100.

I don't think TWA stopped anywhere other than Wichita between Kansas City and Amarillo, nor do I think TWA had authority for Chicago-St. Louis. This would eliminate any city west of Chicago. This would mean the stop would be between Boston and Chicago - I'll guess Pittsburgh.

I don't think TWA's DC-9s made it as far west as Amarillo; normally, they were flown east of Kansas City. The choice is between an 880 and a 707. 707s were more numerous than 880s in TWA's fleet, so I'll guess a 707.

jlemon Jan 25, 2017 7:43 am

Originally Posted by VH-RMD (Post 27813647)
S 61 also sometimes called Sea King.

20. Correct! Ansett-ANA called this Sikorsky helicopter the "Heli S-61 Twin Jet" as this rotorcraft type was powered by twin turboshaft engines. The airline flew the S-61 on its "Coral Islander" services linking Proserpine with South Molle Island and Hayman Island.

I have been involved with commercial Part 135 helicopter operations here in the U.S. for over 30 years now in my career in aviation (which also included a brief sojourn back into the airline business before I returned to the rotorcraft world). My very first ride in a helicopter was on board a SFO Helicopter S-61 from OAK to SFO back in 1971. The company I'm currently with flew the S-61 in the past and currently operates helicopters worldwide including in Australia. In fact, we also have controlling interest in an Australian-based regional air carrier which operates jet and turboprop equipment.

jlemon Jan 25, 2017 8:02 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 27813005)
22. TWA is correct!

However, Wichita (ICT) was not one of the stops although this flight did stop at Chicago O'Hare and Kansas City. And the aircraft was not a Boeing 727-100.

JoeDTW: I don't think TWA stopped anywhere other than Wichita between Kansas City and Amarillo, nor do I think TWA had authority for Chicago-St. Louis. This would eliminate any city west of Chicago. This would mean the stop would be between Boston and Chicago - I'll guess Pittsburgh.

I don't think TWA's DC-9s made it as far west as Amarillo; normally, they were flown east of Kansas City. The choice is between an 880 and a 707. 707s were more numerous than 880s in TWA's fleet, so I'll guess a 707.

You are correct concerning the routing as this flight operated BOS-PIT-ORD-MKC-AMA.

However, the equipment was not a 707 so please guess again!

jlemon Jan 25, 2017 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 27762140)

8. In 1967, How many nonstop flights was North Central operating from Milwaukee (MKE) to Chicago O'Hare (ORD) on a weekday basis at this time? And how many of these flights were operated with a McDonnell Douglas DC-9-30? Hint: NC was operating more than 20 flights on weekdays on the route.

Still looking to close this one out......and I've now provided the ANSWER.

jlemon Jan 25, 2017 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 27808077)

22. It's 1967. You are in Boston and need to travel to Amarillo. You discover there is a Monday through Friday flight which makes three stops en route. You will depart BOS at 5:20 pm and land in AMA at 11:17 pm. Name the airline, the aircraft type and the three stops in order. Still looking for the aircraft type.

23. Now you are in Memphis in 1968 and must travel to Norfolk the next day for an early dinner meeting. You are in no rush and find a direct five stop flight which departs MEM at 7:00 am and arrives in ORF at 12:54 pm. This flight does not operate on Sundays but no problem: your dinner meeting is on a Friday night. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and all five stops in order.

24. It's a beautiful Friday afternoon in the spring of 1968 in Bombay. An urgent message is delivered: can you be in Dar es Salaam the next afternoon for a meeting? You quickly ascertain there is a flight departing from your location in India at 1:50 am that will get you to your destination in Africa at 11:30 am. Three intermediate stops will be made en route. You book a seat in first class. What airline and aircraft type will you be flying on? Also name the three stops in order.

26. It's 1972 and you are in Montreal. There's a big surprise birthday party planned for an old friend in Pittsburgh on Saturday night and you'd like to attend. You've found a daily direct flight which departs YUL at 1:40 pm and arrives in PIT at 4:55 pm with three intermediate stops being made en route. Ah, then you see this flight does not offer first class. No matter....you book a seat in the all coach cabin. Name the airline, the aircraft type and the three stops in order. ANSWERED

And the above remain up for grabs as well.....

jrl767 Jan 25, 2017 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 27817239)
26. It's 1972 and you are in Montreal. There's a big surprise birthday party planned for an old friend in Pittsburgh on Saturday night and you'd like to attend. You've found a daily direct flight which departs YUL at 1:40 pm and arrives in PIT at 4:55 pm with three intermediate stops being made en route. Ah, then you see this flight does not offer first class. No matter....you book a seat in the all coach cabin. Name the airline, the aircraft type and the three stops in order.

And the above remain up for grabs as well.....

26- I can't think of a U.S. carrier that offered single-class service to Montreal in 1972; on the other hand, we have discussed Nordair's Hamilton (YHM)<-->Pittsburgh service on several occasions, so it seems likely that one of their blue-and-white 737s may have plied this route after coming from YUL via Ottawa (YOW) and Toronto (YYZ)

jlemon Jan 25, 2017 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 27817290)
26- I can't think of a U.S. carrier that offered single-class service to Montreal in 1972; on the other hand, we have discussed Nordair's Hamilton (YHM)<-->Pittsburgh service on several occasions, so it seems likely that one of their blue-and-white 737s may have plied this route after coming from YUL via Ottawa (YOW) and Toronto (YYZ)

26. Yep, I thought of Nordair as well when I posed this quiz item.

However, the airline in question was not Nordair.

jrl767 Jan 25, 2017 3:18 pm

26- :/
well, maybe I CAN think of a U.S. carrier

Mohawk might have been running a BAC One-Eleven via Burlington (BTV) and Albany (ALB), with the final stop being (picking the middle one of three candidates) Rochester (ROC)

jlemon Jan 25, 2017 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 27817411)
26- :/
well, maybe I CAN think of a U.S. carrier

Mohawk might have been running a BAC One-Eleven via Burlington (BTV) and Albany (ALB), with the final stop being (picking the middle one of three candidates) Rochester (ROC)

26. Mohawk operating a BAC One-Eleven is correct! Your stops are correct as well except for Rochester. The third stop was actually Syracuse. Here's the sched....

MO 595: Montreal (YUL) 1:40p - 2:10p Burlington (BTV) 2:22p - 2:54p Albany (ALB) 3:09p - 3:42p Syracuse (SYR) 3:57p - 4:55p Pittsburgh (PIT)
Op: Daily
Equip: BAC One-Eleven
Class of service: Y

Note the ground time in Burlington: 12 minutes. I'll guess that customs was pre-cleared in Montreal prior to departure.

jlemon Jan 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 27762140)

8. In 1967, how many nonstop flights was North Central operating from Milwaukee (MKE) to Chicago O'Hare (ORD) on a weekday basis at this time? And how many of these flights were operated with a McDonnell Douglas DC-9-30? NC was operating more than 20 flights on the weekdays from MKE to ORD at this time - ANSWERED

Last call for this quiz item! I shall provide the answer this weekend and will also submit my third and final installment of new quiz items.

Seat 2A Jan 28, 2017 12:01 am

22. It's 1967. You are in Boston and need to travel to Amarillo. You discover there is a Monday through Friday flight which makes three stops en route. You will depart BOS at 5:20 pm and land in AMA at 11:17 pm. Name the airline, the aircraft type and the three stops in order.
Still looking for the aircraft type.

Well since it's been sitting out there for so long... I'm going to say it'd have to be the Convair 880.