FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

jlemon Jan 15, 2016 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 25927831)

65. In the spring and summer of 1999, Air Wisconsin operating as United Express was flying nonstop service with BAe 146 aircraft from Denver (DEN) to no less than fifteen (15) different destinations. Identify as many of these destinations as you can. Over two-thirds answered....four more destinations to go

Last call for this quiz item! I shall provide the four remaining destinations this weekend. The eleven correctly guessed destinations can be found in posts #8070 and #8078. ANSWERED

jlemon Jan 15, 2016 2:26 pm

76. At this same time in 1983, another U.S. based air carrier was operating Pan Am Express service with its flights feeding Pan Am at New York JFK to and from five (5) different domestic destinations. Identify this airline, the equipment it was operating on its Pan Am Express flights and the five destinations it served at the time via a code sharing agreement with PA.

Last call for this quiz item as well! Hints: the airline was not Ransome operating the Dash 7 and the Pan Am Express destinations it served did not include BOS, BWI, DCA, PHL or RIC. In fact, all of the PA Express destinations served by the air carrier in question were in the same state. ANSWERED

jlemon Jan 15, 2016 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 25990570)

78. It's the summer of 1969 and you're back in Florida, this time in Miami. You need to travel to Boston but you're in no big rush to get there. So instead of a nonstop, how about an interesting multistop flight? Well, there's a daily 8:40am departure from MIA which will get you into BOS at 3:40pm with five (5) intermediate stops being made en route. And yes, first class is available! Name the air carrier along with the equipment you'll be flying on as well as all five intermediate stops in the order in which they were made.

79. In early 1976, seven different airlines were operating nonstop service from Portland (PDX) to Seattle (SEA). What was the combined total of nonstop flights operated with mainline jet equipment every weekday from PDX to SEA? Also name all seven air carriers.
ANSWERED

81. Also at this same time in 1976, all of the flights from Portland (PDX) to Seattle (SEA) were nonstops with the exception of one daily flight that made two stops en route. Identify the airline that operated this service as well as the two intermediate stops in the order in which they were made and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

86. In 1999, American was operating daily nonstop MD-80 service from Houston Hobby (HOU) to four destinations. Name all four.

90. In the summer of 2007, this airline was operating nonstop jet service from Tucson (TUS) to Omaha (OMA), Reno (RNO) and Spokane (GEG). Other nonstop flights were operated from Tucson by this air carrier as well. Name the airline and identify the twin engine jet type flown on all of these services. Hint: the air carrier was not Allegiant and the aircraft type was not an MD-80.

The above quiz items remain unanswered as well.....and as soon as we finish up here, I know Seat 2A has a whole bunch of questions ready to go when he returns from his latest travel adventures.....

WHBM Jan 15, 2016 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 26024350)
92. BA operating a 747 is correct......however, I'm unsure whether the aircraft was a series 100 or series 200.

And as for the routing, here's what you have correctly guess and what we are looking for.....

* London (LHR)
* Muscat (MCT)
* Singapore (SIN)
* Bandar Seri Begawan (BWN)
* Sydney (SYD)
* ____________

So we are still looking for the final destination.

My hunch is that the stop beyond Sydney was Brisbane.

Anyone who has read Alex Frater's book "Beyond the Blue Horizon" will know that he returned in the final chapter from Brisbane to London, in this year, by pretty much this route in a single flight on a BA 747, except that it didn't serve BWN, but stopped at Kuala Lumpur shortly after Singapore instead. As he had stopped on the outward multi-leg journey at Muscat, KL and Singapore he could comment on the different view now looking down from a large aircraft.

And that was likely with one of their Rolls-Royce powered -200B series aircraft. BA had 11 of these by that time, they were normally assigned to certain routes where their additional performance was required, such as LAX, Johannesburg - and the long haul to Australia. The remaining aircraft were used as and when available to mix in with the older -100 aircraft, and could turn up wherever. So on certain routes the newer aircraft were a given, elsewhere not.

WHBM Jan 15, 2016 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 26024165)
I believe Royal Brunei commenced operations back in the 1970's with a pair of Boeing 737-200 aircraft ... The airline currently operates A320 and B787-8 aircraft and has also flown A340-200, B727-200, B757-200, B767-200ER, B767-300ER and B777-200ER equipment in the past.

Probably not well known in the US, but Royal Brunei have a reputation in the UK for always being the cheapest carrier from London to Australia, with a direct connection (often the same continuing aircraft) at "BSB" (alternatively "Bandar", but rarely the full mouthful). Likewise the airline is commonly known in its own country as "RBA". This is typical ex-British colonial initialisation, such as Kuala Lumpur in common speech normally being "KL".

It's generally the cheapest fare, and The Sultan of Brunei (thoroughly decent chap), who has multiple palaces here in London and is probably the airline's most Frequent Flyer, has fitted the aircraft out very nicely, with proper gold taps in the washrooms, you just have to live with no alcohol served on board on that long trek to Oz (Brunei is a significantly Muslim nation).

They used to run their 767s daily from Heathrow to Dubai, Singapore and BSB, when the 777s came along they skipped Singapore, but that was just too big an aircraft so now they have nice new, smaller, 787s (still with gold taps). The (generally ex-UK airline) management go through waves of advances, followed by large losses and retrenchment, then The Sultan says "Go" and they advance again. You can understand why BA couldn't compete with this. BSB is a significantly smaller city than (to choose a random comparison) Lafayette LA, so for a daily widebody service from the other side of the world it's a bit of a challenge to fill the 787 every day, hence those fares (they are typically the cheapest to Dubai as well).

Brunei is a grossly wealthy small place, thanks to oil, they have a lot of expat workers there, not quite as pronounced as Dubai but those flights to Manila, Taipei, etc are principally bringing workers to and fro. Otherwise it seems a bit of a backwater, but wealthy, variation on Malaysia, their adjacent country.

jrl767 Jan 15, 2016 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 26024925)
79. In early 1976, seven different airlines were operating nonstop service from Portland (PDX) to Seattle (SEA). What was the combined total of nonstop flights operated with mainline jet equipment every weekday from PDX to SEA? Also name all seven air carriers. Still looking for one more air carrier and the correct number of flights. Correctly identified airlines can be found in post #8102. And the number of nonstop flights from PDX to SEA was greater than 28 per day.

ok, how about Continental and 33

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 26024925)
81. Also at this same time in 1976, all of the flights from Portland (PDX) to Seattle (SEA) were nonstops with the exception of one daily flight that made two stops en route. Identify the airline that operated this service as well as the two intermediate stops in the order in which they were made and the aircraft type. Here's a hint: this flight was operated with jet equipment.

this was almost certainly RW with a Long Beach jet, probably the DC9-10 rather than the -30 ... I can't recall that they ran anything but Fairchilds on the coast route (PDX - North Bend (OTH) - Aberdeen/Hoquiam (HQM) - SEA), so I'll speculate that this flight operated to the east of the Cascades (PDX - Pasco/Kennewick/Richland (PSC) - Yakima (YKM) - SEA)

jlemon Jan 16, 2016 9:27 am

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 26024995)
My hunch is that the stop beyond Sydney was Brisbane.

Anyone who has read Alex Frater's book "Beyond the Blue Horizon" will know that he returned in the final chapter from Brisbane to London, in this year, by pretty much this route in a single flight on a BA 747, except that it didn't serve BWN, but stopped at Kuala Lumpur shortly after Singapore instead. As he had stopped on the outward multi-leg journey at Muscat, KL and Singapore he could comment on the different view now looking down from a large aircraft.

And that was likely with one of their Rolls-Royce powered -200B series aircraft. BA had 11 of these by that time, they were normally assigned to certain routes where their additional performance was required, such as LAX, Johannesburg - and the long haul to Australia. The remaining aircraft were used as and when available to mix in with the older -100 aircraft, and could turn up wherever. So on certain routes the newer aircraft were a given, elsewhere not.

92. Excellent commentary, as usual, WHBM.

However, the final destination was not BNE so please guess again, sir!

jlemon Jan 16, 2016 10:08 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 26025279)
79. ok, how about Continental and 33

81. this was almost certainly RW with a Long Beach jet, probably the DC9-10 rather than the -30 ... I can't recall that they ran anything but Fairchilds on the coast route (PDX - North Bend (OTH) - Aberdeen/Hoquiam (HQM) - SEA), so I'll speculate that this flight operated to the east of the Cascades (PDX - Pasco/Kennewick/Richland (PSC) - Yakima (YKM) - SEA)

79. Continental is correct; however, 33 is incorrect as there were 37 weekday flights from PDX to SEA at this time in 1976.

Here are the seven airlines with the respective equipment and number of nonstop flights they were operating on the route:

* Braniff International -B727-200, two flights a day
* Continental - B727-200, seven flights a day
* Eastern - B727-100, one flight a day; L-1011, one flight a day
* Hughes Airwest -DC9-10, three flights a day; DC9-30, three flights a day
* Northwest - B727-200, one flight a day; DC-10, three flights a day
* United - B727-100, five flights a day; B727-200, two flights a day; DC8, one flight a day; DC-10, two flights a day
* Western - B720B, two flights a day; B727-200, three flights a day; B737-200, one flight a day

81. Correct!

And here's a bonus quiz item.....

93. The Hughes Airwest flight referenced in quiz item #81 above originated in Boise (BOI) with the final destination being Seattle (SEA). We know this DC9-10 service stopped in Portland (PDX), Pasco (PSC) and Yakima (YKM) prior to its arrival in Seattle. Between Boise and Portland, this RW flight made no less than seven (7) intermediate stops en route. Identify all seven stops in the order in which they were made.

Seat 2A Jan 16, 2016 10:11 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 26024350)
[B]92. In 1983, this European-based air carrier was operating an eastbound flight with this service making an intermediate stop in Bandar Seri Begawan once a week. This airline was the only European carrier to serve BWN at the time. Name this airline and identify the aircraft flown on the service as well as all of the destinations served by this flight including the stops in the order in which they were made.And as for the routing, here's what you have correctly guess and what we are looking for.....

* London (LHR)
* Muscat (MCT)
* Singapore (SIN)
* Bandar Seri Begawan (BWN)
* Sydney (SYD)
* ____________

So we are still looking for the final destination.

1983 - In so many ways it feels like it was only yesterday and yet here it is 33 years ago. Long enough ago that BA's route system may very well have extended even farther to the east. Let's go with Auckland, NZ.

jlemon Jan 16, 2016 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 26028104)
1983 - In so many ways it feels like it was only yesterday and yet here it is 33 years ago. Long enough ago that BA's route system may very well have extended even farther to the east. Let's go with Auckland, NZ.

92. Ah, no.....it was not AKL. Please guess again, sir!

Seat 2A Jan 16, 2016 10:32 am

Good morning from sunny but chilly Greeley, Colorado. I am here to visit family and enjoy tomorrow's Broncos - Stillers game with a partisan crowd. Shortly thereafter I'll be bound for the Bayou via a relatively new A321 and a relatively old MD-80. That'll be on Tuesday, JL, so we're still on for Wednesday as planned.

BTW, yesterday at DIA I spotted a Dornier 328JET parked amidst United Express aircraft on the commuter concourse. It wore a stylish green livery but bore no titles. Any thoughts amongst the cognoscenti?

93. The Hughes Airwest flight referenced in quiz item #81 above originated in Boise (BOI) with the final destination being Seattle (SEA). We know this DC9-10 service stopped in Portland (PDX), Pasco (PSC) and Yakima (YKM) prior to its arrival in Seattle. Between Boise and Portland, this RW flight made no less than seven (7) intermediate stops en route. Identify all seven stops in the order in which they were made.

Good ol' Hughes Airwest! My first flight on them was aboard a DC-9-30 routing SLC-PDX-RDM-LMF-SMF-SFO-MRY-LAX. As for the flight in question, I can't think of seven stops going W-NW between BOI and PDX so perhaps the flight headed south first. Let's try BOI-TWF-SLC-LAX (here's where it gets hard) MRY-SFO-SMF-LMF-PDX

Seat 2A Jan 16, 2016 10:40 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 26028177)
92. Ah, no.....it was not AKL. Please guess again, sir!

Has anybody yet mentioned Melbourne? It would seem a logical choice at this point...

jlemon Jan 16, 2016 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 26028184)
Good morning from sunny but chilly Greeley, Colorado. I am here to visit family and enjoy tomorrow's Broncos - Stillers game with a partisan crowd. Shortly thereafter I'll be bound for the Bayou via a relatively new A321 and a relatively old MD-80. That'll be on Tuesday, JL, so we're still on for Wednesday as planned.

BTW, yesterday at DIA I spotted a Dornier 328JET parked amidst United Express aircraft on the commuter concourse. It wore a stylish green livery but bore no titles. Any thoughts amongst the cognoscenti?

Good ol' Hughes Airwest! My first flight on them was aboard a DC-9-30 routing SLC-PDX-RDM-LMF-SMF-SFO-MRY-LAX. As for the flight in question, I can't think of seven stops going W-NW between BOI and PDX so perhaps the flight headed south first. Let's try BOI-TWF-SLC-LAX (here's where it gets hard) MRY-SFO-SMF-LMF-PDX

93. Indeed, this flight did head south before it then turned north. Here are your correct responses and the stops we are looking for:

* Boise (BOI)
* Twin Falls (TWF)
* Salt Lake City (SLC)
* ______________
* ______________
* Los Angeles (LAX)
* San Francisco (SFO)
* ______________
* Portland (PDX)
* Pasco (PSC)
* Yakima (YKM)
* Seattle (SEA)

jlemon Jan 16, 2016 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 26028229)
Has anybody yet mentioned Melbourne? It would seem a logical choice at this point...

92. Well, you have.....and MEL is correct!

BA 11 departed LHR every Thursday at 7:45pm and following stops in Muscat, Oman, and Singapore arrived in BWN the next day at 8:50pm. The 747 then departed from Bandar Seri Begawan at 10:10pm and following a stop at SYD arrived in Melbourne at 9:45am two days after it had departed from Heathrow.

And looking forward to our lunch at Luke in New Orleans this Wednesday! :cool:

Seat 2A Jan 16, 2016 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 26028571)
93. Indeed, this flight did head south before it then turned north. Here are your correct responses and the stops we are looking for:

* Boise (BOI)
* Twin Falls (TWF)
* Salt Lake City (SLC)
* Las Vegas (LAS)
* San Diego (SAN)
* Los Angeles (LAX)
* San Francisco (SFO)
* Eugene (EUG)
* Portland (PDX)
* Pasco (PSC)
* Yakima (YKM)
* Seattle (SEA)

Yesterday in Seattle's University District I came across a West Coast Airlines T-Shirt in a second hand shop. This route sounds like a combination of West Coast, Pacific and Bonanza routes. Well, maybe not Pacific as I don't believe they flew nonstop LAX-SFO...