FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

puls Jan 18, 2016 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 25990570)
90. In the summer of 2007, this airline was operating nonstop jet service from Tucson (TUS) to Omaha (OMA), Reno (RNO) and Spokane (GEG). Other nonstop flights were operated from Tucson by this air carrier as well. Name the airline and identify the twin engine jet type flown on all of these services.

While this sounds an awful lot like Southwest, which was then and still is the largest carrier at TUS and uses the same type on all of its flights, that's too easy, right?

Could this be ExpressJet's brief foray into operating flights under its own brands on ERJ145s?

jlemon Jan 18, 2016 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by puls (Post 26039181)
While this sounds an awful lot like Southwest, which was then and still is the largest carrier at TUS and uses the same type on all of its flights, that's too easy, right?

Could this be ExpressJet's brief foray into operating flights under its own brands on ERJ145s?

90. Welcome puls! And you are correct!

This was indeed ExpressJet's Big Experiment with independently operated, hub bypass, point-to-point flying utilizing Embraer ERJ-145 regional jets. And it did not work.

In 2007, the independent ExpressJet route network was bounded by Jacksonville (JAX) and Raleigh/Durham (RDU) in the east and Spokane (GEG) and San Diego (SAN) in the west including such west coast destinations as Monterey (MRY), Santa Barbara (SBA) and Long Beach (LGB). Besides operating nonstop service from Tucson to Omaha (OMA), Reno (RNO) and Spokane, ExpressJet was also flying nonstop from TUS to Austin (AUS), El Paso (ELP), Kansas City (MCI), Ontario (ONT), Sacramento (SMF) and San Antonio (SAT) at this time. Other cities served included Albuquerque (ABQ), Bakersfield (BFL), Birmingham (BHM), Boise (BOI), Colorado Springs (COS), Fresno (FAT), New Orleans (MSY), Oklahoma City (OKC) and Tulsa (TUL).

jlemon Jan 18, 2016 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 26038785)
Thanks also for the above input regarding the DO328 jet at DEN. I'll be flying out of Denver tomorrow morning and if it's parked nearby I'll try to get a picture of it. The livery was unlike any of the pictures linked. Would this be the only 328JET operation in the U.S. then?

JL, I'll look forward to seeing you the day after tomorrow.....

So between all that travel I should have the first batch of new questions posted by the evening of the 26th......

Hey Seat 2A! It does appear the DEN-SHR Key Lime Air/Denver Air Connection service may well be the only sched pax service flown with the Dornier 328JET here in the U.S. at the present time.

Meantime, we should have a great lunch this Wednesday in New Orleans. I've been to this particular restaurant a number of times over the years for lunch and dinner and it's always been wonderful. BTW, the establishment is named Luke and it's on the St. Charles streetcar line just across the street from the Intercontinental Hotel in the shadow of One Shell Square (which happens to be the tallest building in N.O.) in case some of you are wondering. Highly recommended!

And I know I speak for all of us when I say that your upcoming batch of new quiz items are eagerly anticipated!

Now then.....what about your response above to quiz item #93? Well, Orange County (SNA) is correct! Here's the complete sched from 1976.....

RW 773: Boise (BOI) 6:45a - 7:15a Twin Falls (TWF) 7:30a - 8:05a Salt Lake City 8:30a - 8:33a Las Vegas (LAS) 8:55a - 9:43a Orange County (SNA) 9:55a - 10:20a Los Angeles (LAX) 10:45a - 11:49a San Francisco (SFO) 12:20p - 1:34p Eugene (EUG) 1:50p - 2:20p Portland (PDX) 2:45p - 3:23p Pasco (PSC) 3:35p - 3:58p Yakima (YKM) 4:10p - 4:43p Seattle (SEA)

Op: Daily

Class of service: S (Standard class) except K (Economy class) LAX-SFO

Meals: SLC-LAS Breakfast, SFO-EUG Snack

Equip: DC9

Not a bad days work for the little DC9-10.......

The LAS-SNA service was a former Bonanza Air Lines route, of course, which was also flown with the DC9 by this local service air carrier.

And the SNA to SFO one stop service via LAX was the only flight operated by Hughes Airwest in this particular market. All other service from SNA to SFO was flown by Air California at this time primarily nonstop with the Boeing 737-200 but also with the Lockheed L-188 Electra as well.

jrl767 Jan 18, 2016 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 26038785)
... This has inadvertently become quite the social tour for me ... Eugene, OR to catch the AFC Championship game and then it's off to Seattle for the night before flying on to Baltimore for crab cakes and ale ... winging it back home to Alaska on the 26th. ...

based on AS schedules, it appears you arrive BWI ~1630 Mon and depart ~1730 Tues (although I wouldn't put it past you to start with BWI-LAX at 0715) ... I'm in the middle of 12-hour days and 7-day weeks on a proposal, but depending on progress and review schedules (and snow melt; current forecast is 8-12 inches between Fri noon and Sat evening) I might be able to negotiate a civilized pre-rush-hour departure from the office on Mon afternoon

jlemon Jan 22, 2016 11:22 am

78. It's the summer of 1969 and you're back in Florida, this time in Miami. You need to travel to Boston but you're in no big rush to get there. So instead of a nonstop, how about an interesting multistop flight? Well, there's a daily 8:40am departure from MIA which will get you into BOS at 3:40pm with five (5) intermediate stops being made en route. And yes, first class is available! Name the air carrier along with the equipment you'll be flying on as well as all five intermediate stops in the order in which they were made. Hints: as correctly guessed by jrl767, this flight was operated by National Airlines with a B727-100. The first stop, being West Palm Beach (PBI), and the fifth stop, being New York (JFK), have also been correctly identified. Tampa (TPA) has been correctly identified as one of the stops as well; however, it was not the second stop. So we are looking for two more stops in the correct order in which they were made as well as the correct sequence of the stop at TPA. ANSWERED

86. In 1999, American was operating daily nonstop MD-80 service from Houston Hobby (HOU) to four destinations. Name all four. ANSWERED

Last call for these quiz items! I shall provide the answers this weekend should there be no takers.....

RoyalFlush Jan 22, 2016 11:57 am

Oooo! Raises hand!

86. In 1999, American was operating daily nonstop MD-80 service from Houston Hobby (HOU) to four destinations. Name all four. Hint: DFW was not one of the destinations.
Last call for these quiz items! I shall provide the answers this weekend should there be no takers.....
1999 AA Super 80 Hobby to AUS, LAX, LGA and DCA.

MIA only sees IAH Houston service n/s on AA, a 72S then eventually a 738.

I rarely post here but oft pay attention to this thread.

jrl767 Jan 22, 2016 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 26062706)
Last call for these quiz items!
78. It's the summer of 1969 ... a daily 8:40am departure from MIA which will get you into BOS at 3:40pm with five (5) intermediate stops being made en route. ... Hints: as correctly guessed by jrl767, this flight was operated by National Airlines with a B727-100. The first stop, being West Palm Beach (PBI), and the fifth stop, being New York (JFK), have also been correctly identified. Tampa (TPA) has been correctly identified as one of the stops as well; however, it was not the second stop. So we are looking for two more stops in the correct order in which they were made as well as the correct sequence of the stop at TPA.

are we channeling the NA Electra from Q77?
MIA
  1. PBI
  2. Ft Myers (FMY)
  3. Sarasota (SRQ)
  4. TPA
  5. JFK
BOS

jlemon Jan 22, 2016 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush (Post 26062911)
Oooo! Raises hand!

1999 AA Super 80 Hobby to AUS, LAX, LGA and DCA.

I rarely post here but oft pay attention to this thread.

86. Well, three out of four ain't bad!

American was indeed operating the MD-80 from Houston Hobby nonstop to Austin, New York La Guardia and Washington Reagan.

However, AA was not flying nonstop to Los Angeles at this time from HOU. So please guess again!

BTW, I totally agree with your "somebody stole my airline" comment up there with your handle. I had Platinum status with Continental when they were merged with UA and it was truly an end of an era.......

jlemon Jan 22, 2016 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 26063197)
MIA
  1. PBI
  2. Ft Myers (FMY)
  3. Sarasota (SRQ)
  4. TPA
  5. JFK
BOS

78. Yep, you're right on the money here. And here's the sched.....

NA 20: Miami (MIA) 8:40a - 9:05a West Palm Beach (PBI) 9:25a - 9:55a Fort Myers (FMY) 10:15a - 10:36a Sarasota (SRQ) 10:55a - 11:15a Tampa (TPA) 12:00n - 2:15p New York (JFK) 2:45p - 3:40p Boston (BOS)

Op: Daily

Meal service, both classes of service (F/Y): MIA-PBI Snack, PBI-FMY Snack, TPA-JFK Lunch

Equip: B-727 JET

jlemon Jan 23, 2016 9:29 am

86. In 1999, American was operating daily nonstop MD-80 service from Houston Hobby (HOU) to four destinations. Name all four.

A very frosty morning here in southern Louisiana and one of the coldest yet this winter with brilliant sunshine and deep blue skies at present.....

I'll go ahead and close out the above quiz item. Austin (AUS), New York (LGA) and Washington D.C. (DCA) were correctly guessed as three of the destinations. The fourth was San Antonio (SAT).

American was operating three MD-80 flights a day on an eastbound routing of AUS-HOU-LGA and two MD-80 flights a day on an eastbound routing of SAT-HOU-DCA.

And speaking of Houston Hobby, here's a bonus quiz item:

94. It's 1990. You have been attending a seminar at the NASA Johnson Space Center (JSC) for the past several days but now need to fly to north Texas in order to attend a meeting in Fort Worth. The nearest airport to JSC with mainline jet service is Hobby Airport. You've found a morning departure out of HOU to DFW that fits your schedule so you book a seat in first class. The equipment is a B727-200. However, you are in for a bit of surprise when you board your flight: the aircraft is not in the livery of the air carrier you booked your flight on; it's obviously usually operated by another airline that your familiar with. Upon taking your seat, an announcement is made and you hear that your flight will continue on to three other destinations following an intermediate stop at DFW. With all this in mind, please answer the following:

94-A: The identity of the airline you booked your flight on from HOU to DFW. ANSWERED

94-B: The identity of the other airline whose aircraft you'll be flying on. ANSWERED

94-C: The three destinations beyond DFW in the order in which they were served. ANSWERED

And while we're at it (hey, it's too cold outside for yard work!), here are several other bonus quiz items as well:

95. It's 1976 and you are back in Miami. You need to travel to New York. Of course, you could take a nonstop....or you could book a seat on board an interesting multistop flight! You choose to do the latter with a 12:45pm departure from MIA that will get you into LGA at 7:50pm with six (6) intermediate stops being made en route. Name the airline you'll be flying on, all six stops in the order in which they will be made and the jet aircraft type you'll be flying on. ANSWERED

96. In 1984, only one airline was operating jet service nonstop between Eugene (EUG) and Portland (PDX). Identify the air carrier and the equipment. ANSWERED

97. By 1989, another air carrier had become the only airline operating nonstop jet service between Eugene (EUG) and Portland (PDX). Name this airline and identify the aircraft type. ANSWERED

98. Also in 1989, only one airline was operating nonstop jet service between Eugene (EUG) and Los Angeles (LAX). Identify this air carrier and the jet type. ANSWERED

99. In 1999, two air carriers were operating nonstop service between Toronto (YYZ) and Havana (HAV). Identify both of them along with the different equipment they operated on the route.

100. Also in 1999, four airlines were competing with nonstop flights between Vancouver (YVR) and Honolulu (HNL). Name them all as well as the respective aircraft they flew on the route. And one of these air carriers operated two different aircraft types between YVR and HNL. ANSWERED

Indelaware Jan 23, 2016 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 26067338)
94-A: The identity of the airline you booked your flight on from HOU to DFW.

94-B: The identity of the other airline whose aircraft you'll be flying on.

96. In 1984, only one airline was operating jet service nonstop between Eugene (EUG) and Portland (PDX). Identify the air carrier and the equipment.

97. The next year in 1985, another air carrier had become the only airline operating nonstop jet service between Eugene (EUG) and Portland (PDX). Name this airline and identify the aircraft type.

94-A. Continental Airlines (CO)
94-B. Eastern Airlines (EA)

Under common ownership, CO & EA leased several aircraft to one another. I doubt that cheap Frank Lorenzo paid to re-paint them.

96. Cascade Airways (CZ) was operating EUG-PDX with BAC One-Elevens.

Horizon, I believe, was also on the route in 1984 but with props.

97. I recall that in 1985, Horizon leased some F28s - I think from US Air. Did they put this jet on EUG-PDX?

jlemon Jan 23, 2016 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Indelaware (Post 26068505)
94-A. Continental Airlines (CO) Incorrect
94-B. Eastern Airlines (EA) Incorrect

Under common ownership, CO & EA leased several aircraft to one another. I doubt that cheap Frank Lorenzo paid to re-paint them.

96. Cascade Airways (CZ) was operating EUG-PDX with BAC One-Elevens. Correct!

97. I recall that in 1985, Horizon leased some F28s - I think from US Air. Did they put this jet on EUG-PDX? Incorrect

94-A&B. Here's a hint: this service featured a flight crew change at one of the stops beyond DFW.

96. The Cascade BAC One-Eleven service into Eugene did not last long. By 1985, CZ had replaced their One-Eleven SEA-PDX-EUG-MFR flights with Beechcraft 1900 and Hawker Siddeley HS 748 service.

97. Hint: the jet type in question was larger than the Fokker F.28 and the airline was not Horizon Air.

jrl767 Jan 23, 2016 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 26067338)
95. It's 1976 and you are back in Miami. You need to travel to New York. Of course, you could take a nonstop....or you could book a seat on board an interesting multistop flight! You choose to do the latter with a 12:45pm departure from MIA that will get you into LGA at 7:50pm with six (6) intermediate stops being made en route. Name the airline you'll be flying on, all six stops in the order in which they will be made and the jet aircraft type you'll be flying on.

well jlemon, it again appears that you have a nostalgia for National Airlines :cool:
a MIA-LGA milk run would have been on a 727, and just for variety's sake I'll guess this one was a -235 ... and perhaps this trip operated along the Atlantic coast rather than meandering across south and central Florida ... six likely stops might have been
  1. Jacksonville (JAX)
  2. Savannah (SAV)
  3. Charleston (CHS)
  4. Norfolk (ORF)
  5. Newport News (PHF)
  6. Washington National (DCA)

jlemon Jan 23, 2016 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 26068608)
well jlemon, it again appears that you have a nostalgia for National Airlines :cool:
a MIA-LGA milk run would have been on a 727, and just for variety's sake I'll guess this one was a -235 ... and perhaps this trip operated along the Atlantic coast rather than meandering across south and central Florida ... six likely stops might have been
  1. Jacksonville (JAX)
  2. Savannah (SAV)
  3. Charleston (CHS)
  4. Norfolk (ORF)
  5. Newport News (PHF)
  6. Washington National (DCA)

95. Yes, I do! In fact, my one and only flight on board a stretched Super DC8-61 was with National from IAH to MSY.

However, the airline we are looking for here was not National and the flight in question did not stop at any of the above destinations. So please guess again!

jlemon Jan 23, 2016 2:05 pm

Dupe post.....sorry!