FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

jlemon Dec 28, 2015 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Indelaware (Post 25926730)
62A: DL SAT-DFW
62B: DL SAT-ATL
62C: AA SAT-DFW

Both AA & DL had a DFW hub at the time. I can imagine both of them operating DC-10s on SAT-DFW. (Oh, if that was only the case today, I'd be booking a trip!)

For the DC-8, my first instinct was UA, but they didn't have much penetration into Texas.

62-A, B & C: Correct on all counts!

Delta was operating three B767-200 flights a day from Dallas/Fort Worth to San Antonio.

Delta was also operating one stretched Super DC-8 flight a day from Atlanta to San Antonio. This appears to be one of the few times that SAT had service flown with D8S equipment.

And American was operating one DC-10 flight a day from DFW to SAT.

jlemon Dec 28, 2015 6:31 pm

And as we inexorably roll toward the New Year on a crisp, clear and decidedly cool (by Louisiana standards) Monday evening, here are the remainder of my quiz items from my current set:

Quiz Items From The 1990's.......

63. In 1996, it was possible to fly nonstop from Europe to Daytona Beach (DAB) with this service being operated once a week every Thursday. Identify the airline that operated this transatlantic flight, the aircraft that was flown on the route and the departure city in Europe. ANSWERED

64. In 1998, Kiwi International Air Lines was operating nonstop Boeing 727-200 service from Newark (EWR) to six destinations. Name them all. ANSWERED

The final quiz items in my set all have a time line of 1999:

65. At this time, Air Wisconsin operating as United Express was flying nonstop service with BAe 146 aircraft from Denver (DEN) to no less than fifteen (15) different destinations. Identify as many of these destinations as you can. Over two-thirds answered....four more destinations to go

66. Also from Denver at this same time, if one wanted to fly nonstop to Edmonton, there was only one choice. What air carrier would you be calling and what type of equipment would be flying on from DEN to YEG? ANSWERED

67. This airline was operating one daily nonstop flight a day between Oslo Gardermoen (OSL) and London. Identify the air carrier and the equipment it operated on the route and also name the London area airport it flew to. ANSWERED

68. Five airlines were flying Boeing 757 aircraft into Orange County (SNA) at this time. Name them all. ANSWERED

69. This airline was operating the only nonstop service from both Boston (BOS) and San Antonio (SAT) to Kansas City (MCI). One aircraft type was used on one route and two aircraft types were flown on the other route. Name the air carrier and identify both aircraft. ANSWERED

70. Only one air carrier was operating Fokker F.28 Fellowship service into Raleigh/Durham (RDU) at this time with nonstop service to two destinations. Identify the airline and two destinations. ANSWERED

Whew......seventy quiz items submitted this time around!

Meantime, we have been enjoying not only a fire in the fireplace this evening but also some freshly prepared, home made smoked turkey and Cajun sausage gumbo expertly crafted by none other than my very own Lady K. Excellent, I must say! :cool:

jrl767 Dec 29, 2015 12:56 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 25927831)
... 1999
68. Five airlines were flying Boeing 757 aircraft into Orange County (SNA) at this time. Name them all.

I am sitting at SEA, awaiting departure of our American Airlines (former US Airways) A321 redeye to CLT ... my wife and I are continuing to IAD on a CRJ-700; our son will head home to RIC aboard an E175 ... these will be my first flights on AA since July 2007

and speaking of AA, I will count them as the first of my five guesses for 757 operators at SNA:

1- AA (to DFW and perhaps ORD)
2- DL (to ATL)
3- HP (to PHX)
4- NW (to MSP)
5- UA (to ORD, SFO, and likely DEN)

WHBM Dec 29, 2015 2:55 am

63. In 1996, it was possible to fly nonstop from Europe to Daytona Beach (DAB) with this service being operated once a week every Thursday. Identify the airline that operated this transatlantic flight, the aircraft that was flown on the route and the departure city in Europe.

I'm torn between Condor and LTU on this one; both did various oddball Florida services at the time - St Petersburg and Fort Myers were others. Let's go for LTU, in which case from their main base at Dusseldorf. These small Florida points never seemed to last for the German operators. Either a 757 or 767, depending on season. I would guess that the airport was not set up for inbound international arrivals, so the flight probably stopped at Bangor ME for this purpose.

We actually went on holiday to Daytona Beach in 1996 (although didn't see the airport), taking two days driving from London, Ontario (yes, the other one), stopping overnight in Tennessee. Much more recently, a few years ago, I made a huge day-long journey, from St Petersburg in Russia to London Gatwick, then immediately on to Detroit, and then driving down to a business meeting near Cleveland OH. By the time I was passing Toledo I was not surprisingly feeling a bit jaded, so saw a Denny's coming up by the freeway and stopped there for food. I suddenly realised as I sat there that it was the same place we had stopped at 15 years beforehand on that Daytona trip.

67. This airline was operating one daily nonstop flight a day between Oslo Gardermoen (OSL) and London. Identify the air carrier and the equipment it operated on the route and also name the London area airport it flew to.
Probably Color Line, a large Scandinavian ferry and shipping company that had a go at airline service and ran into London Stansted for a while. This didn't last either. Their 737-300s were actually UK-registered (G-COLA, B, C etc) and looked after by British Midland, who took them on after Color gave up air service. The shipping company is still very much about.

https://www.colorline.com/

jlemon Dec 29, 2015 9:20 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 25929023)
I am sitting at SEA, awaiting departure of our American Airlines (former US Airways) A321 redeye to CLT ... my wife and I are continuing to IAD on a CRJ-700; our son will head home to RIC aboard an E175 ... these will be my first flights on AA since July 2007

and speaking of AA, I will count them as the first of my five guesses for 757 operators at SNA:

1- AA (to DFW and perhaps ORD) Correct! To DFW, ORD and one other destination which was? SJC
2- DL (to ATL) Correct!
3- HP (to PHX) Correct!
4- NW (to MSP) Incorrect - actually TWA SNA-STL
5- UA (to ORD, SFO, and likely DEN) Correct!

So we are looking for one more 757 operator at Orange County (SNA) at this time.

jlemon Dec 29, 2015 9:47 am

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 25929231)
I'm torn between Condor and LTU on this one; both did various oddball Florida services at the time - St Petersburg and Fort Myers were others. Let's go for LTU, in which case from their main base at Dusseldorf. These small Florida points never seemed to last for the German operators. Either a 757 or 767, depending on season. I would guess that the airport was not set up for inbound international arrivals, so the flight probably stopped at Bangor ME for this purpose.

We actually went on holiday to Daytona Beach in 1996 (although didn't see the airport), taking two days driving from London, Ontario (yes, the other one), stopping overnight in Tennessee. Much more recently, a few years ago, I made a huge day-long journey, from St Petersburg in Russia to London Gatwick, then immediately on to Detroit, and then driving down to a business meeting near Cleveland OH. By the time I was passing Toledo I was not surprisingly feeling a bit jaded, so saw a Denny's coming up by the freeway and stopped there for food. I suddenly realised as I sat there that it was the same place we had stopped at 15 years beforehand on that Daytona trip.

Probably Color Line, a large Scandinavian ferry and shipping company that had a go at airline service and ran into London Stansted for a while. This didn't last either. Their 737-300s were actually UK-registered (G-COLA, B, C etc) and looked after by British Midland, who took them on after Color gave up air service. The shipping company is still very much about.

https://www.colorline.com/

63. LTU International is correct! It also appears this Boeing 767-300 service was operated nonstop from Dusseldorf to Daytona Beach as DAB apparently opened an international arrivals terminal during the early 1990's, at least according to wikipedia. The actual routing of LT 917 was Dusseldorf (DUS) - Daytona Beach (DAB) - Miami (MIA) - Dusseldorf operated every Thursday according to the OAG.

BTW, I believe the B767-300 was the second largest aircraft ever to be operated into Daytona Beach in scheduled passenger service. It appears the largest equipment ever to serve DAB was operated by Eastern with an L-1011 flying a daily routing of DAB-ATL-OMA-PDX-SEA.

67. Well, according to the timetable I looked at, it appears that Color Line called their air carrier Color Air, so we'll call your answer correct! Color Air 703 departed Oslo (OSL) daily at 11:55 and arrived at London Stansted (STN) at 13:00. The Boeing 737-300 operating as Color Air 704 then departed STN at 13:55 and arrived back at OSL at 16:55.

Indelaware Dec 29, 2015 10:56 am

66. Also from Denver at this same time, if one wanted to fly nonstop to Edmonton, there was only one choice. What air carrier would you be calling and what type of equipment would be flying on from DEN to YEG?
68. Five airlines were flying Boeing 757 aircraft into Orange County (SNA) at this time. Name them all. Mostly answered....still looking for one more 757 operator at SNA
69. This airline was operating the only nonstop service from both Boston (BOS) and San Antonio (SAT) to Kansas City (MCI). One aircraft type was used on one route and two aircraft types were flown on the other route. Name the air carrier and identify both aircraft.

66. Air BC (for Air Canada) with a BAe-146.
68. TWA SNA-STL
69. Could it be any other than Midwest Express with a DC-9 or perhaps MD-80?

Seat 2A Dec 29, 2015 2:18 pm

66. Also from Denver at this same time, if one wanted to fly nonstop to Edmonton, there was only one choice. What air carrier would you be calling and what type of equipment would be flying on from DEN to YEG?

Back in 1999 I was pondering a ride aboard ViaRail's Canadian between Edmonton and Vancouver. I remember being disappointed in not only the exorbitant price I'd have to pay for the ticket but also in the choice of airline and aircraft for this route.

The airline was United Express and the aircraft was a BAe-146. Now I don't know which contract carrier was doing the honors on this route but I did recall a flight aboard a United Express 146 between Denver and Aspen a couple of years earlier. The 3-3 seating was extremely tight - even for the 35 minute flight over to Aspen. I certainly didn't care to subject myself to the possibility of that on the two hour flight up to Edmonton.

Unfortunately, joint fares had been relegated to history's rearview mirror by then or else I'm sure I could have come up with something quite entertaining. As it were, that trip never happened and I had to wait another five years before realizing my dream to ride Silver & Blue Class aboard the The Canadian.

jlemon Dec 29, 2015 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Indelaware (Post 25930955)

66. Air BC (for Air Canada) with a BAe-146. Correct - I believe the specific aircraft type was a BAe 146-200 operating this Air Canada Connector DEN-YEG service via a code share

68. TWA SNA-STL Correct

69. Could it be any other than Midwest Express with a DC-9 or perhaps MD-80? Midwest Express is correct - DC9-30 aircraft flew two round trips a day MCI-BOS while a DC9-10 and a DC9-30 each flew one round trip a day MCI-SAT

And what the heck, here's a bonus quiz item......

71. In 1999, one could board an MD-90 aircraft at Orange County (SNA) and fly nonstop to five (5) different destinations. Name the MD-90 operator at SNA at this time (and perhaps there may have been more than one) and then match the air carrier to each of the five specific nonstop routes departing from SNA. ANSWERED

jlemon Dec 29, 2015 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 25931902)

Back in 1999 I was pondering a ride aboard ViaRail's Canadian between Edmonton and Vancouver. I remember being disappointed in not only the exorbitant price I'd have to pay for the ticket but also in the choice of airline and aircraft for this route.

The airline was United Express and the aircraft was a BAe-146. Now I don't know which contract carrier was doing the honors on this route but I did recall a flight aboard a United Express 146 between Denver and Aspen a couple of years earlier. The 3-3 seating was extremely tight - even for the 35 minute flight over to Aspen. I certainly didn't care to subject myself to the possibility of that on the two hour flight up to Edmonton.

66. Ah, United Express was not flying DEN-YEG at this time. Please see the above post!

WHBM Dec 29, 2015 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 25932163)
And what the heck, here's a bonus quiz item......

71. In 1999, one could board an MD-90 aircraft at Orange County (SNA) and fly nonstop to five (5) different destinations. Name the MD-90 operator at SNA at this time (and perhaps there may have been more than one) and then match the air carrier to each of the five specific nonstop routes departing from SNA.

I think the main one would have to be Reno Air - let's say to Vegas, Reno, San Jose, Seattle. If there was another MD-90 operator there I think it could only be Delta to Salt Lake, there really isn't any other contender in the US. Delta at the time based all their small MD-90 fleet out of SLC.

Seat 2A Dec 30, 2015 11:38 am

Whew! What a night! A high wind warning was issued for Alaska's Interior with gusts in the 80-90 mph range. Over the past few days I've been housesitting 100 miles down the road in the town of Healy, located right up against the Alaska Range where the winds are at their strongest. It was quite the symphony fantastique outside last night!

It's still quite windy today. A good day to stay inside and have a go at question 65..

65. At this time, Air Wisconsin operating as United Express was flying nonstop service with BAe 146 aircraft from Denver (DEN) to no less than fifteen (15) different destinations. Identify as many of these destinations as you can.

Aspen
Colorado Springs
Durango
Grand Junction
Billings
Rapid City
Moline
Peoria
Cedar Rapids
Springfield, IL
Springfield, MO
Milwaukee
Lincoln
Amarillo
Santa Barbara

jlemon Dec 30, 2015 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 25932361)
I think the main one would have to be Reno Air - let's say to Vegas, Reno, San Jose, Seattle. If there was another MD-90 operator there I think it could only be Delta to Salt Lake, there really isn't any other contender in the US. Delta at the time based all their small MD-90 fleet out of SLC.

71. Yes indeed, there were not too many MD-90 operators here in the U.S. with Delta and Reno Air being the primary users. I believe Alaska Airlines had ordered the MD-90 but then cancelled their order and subsequently went with the B737-900 (which I also believe they had a hand in bringing to fruition). Pro Air, the new start up which primarily flew B737-400s and had a small hub at Detroit City Airport (DET), was reportedly planning to operate the MD-90 but was then afflicted by that malady that so often was evident at new start ups: lack of money. And I think American briefly operated the MD-90 following its acquisition of Reno Air.

Delta and Reno Air are correct, of course, with both airlines operating a combined total of 21 MD-90 departures a day from John Wayne Orange County (SNA) during the late spring of 1999. Here are the nonstop MD-90 destinations from SNA by airline and number of flights:

Delta:

Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) - two daily departures

Salt Lake City (SLC) - four daily departures

Reno Air:

Las Vegas (LAS) - up to three departures a day

San Francisco (SFO) - up to five departures a day

San Jose (SJC) - up to seven departures a day

BTW, Reno Air was also flying nonstop to Reno and Seattle from SNA at this time; however, these flights were operated with MD-80 and MD-87 equipment.

So Orange County was a real hotbed of MD-90 activity at this time. By comparison, Delta was operating 14 MD-90 departures a day from Salt Lake City at this same time with nonstop MD-90 service to Billings, Chicago O'Hare, Kansas City, Ontario, Reno, San Antonio and San Diego in addition to its MD-90 flights to Orange County.

My first flight on an MD-90 was in first class on Delta from San Jose to Dallas/Fort Worth some years ago. The airplane was still a fairly new addition to the DL fleet at that time and the MD-90 had been observed to be rather unreliable at times. I asked the Captain of our flight about this and he acknowledged the introduction of the MD-90 had proved to be a bit troublesome, particularly with regard to the engines. He also said that internally at Delta, employees joked that MD-90 stood for "Minimum Delay 90 minutes".

jrl767 Dec 30, 2015 1:08 pm

64. In 1998, Kiwi International Air Lines was operating nonstop Boeing 727-200 service from Newark (EWR) to six destinations. Name them all.

I know KP operated to Chicago Midway, Atlanta, West Palm Beach, and Orlando ... I believe they also served San Juan, but it's completely-random-guess time as to the sixth destination: Indianapolis

... home made smoked turkey and Cajun sausage gumbo ...

my wife and I are off to MHT tomorrow to spend New Years with our good friend (who grew up in Breaux Bridge) and her husband (who lived there for a few years after retiring from the Air Force) ... maybe there will be some authentic bayou-country treats on the menu for us too :)

Happy New Year to all!

jlemon Dec 30, 2015 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 25936445)
Whew! What a night! A high wind warning was issued for Alaska's Interior with gusts in the 80-90 mph range. Over the past few days I've been housesitting 100 miles down the road in the town of Healy, located right up against the Alaska Range where the winds are at their strongest. It was quite the symphony fantastique outside last night!

It's still quite windy today. A good day to stay inside and have a go at question 65..

65. At this time, Air Wisconsin operating as United Express was flying nonstop service with BAe 146 aircraft from Denver (DEN) to no less than fifteen (15) different destinations. Identify as many of these destinations as you can.

Aspen Correct!
Colorado Springs - Correct!
Durango Correct!
Grand Junction Incorrect
Billings Incorrect
Rapid City Correct!
Moline Correct!
Peoria Correct!
Cedar Rapids Correct!
Springfield, IL Incorrect
Springfield, MO Correct!
Milwaukee Correct!
Lincoln Incorrect
Amarillo Incorrect
Santa Barbara Correct! And I flew on Air Wis/UAEx BAe 146-200 and 146-300 aircraft several times on the SBA-DEN route.

I'll bet that was something to hear! I remember staying at a friend's home one winter's night in the foothills east of Anchorage when a very powerful wind storm developed over the nearby Chugach Range. Talk about impressive! And I also recall several interesting approaches and landings at ANC in very windy conditions. Ah, the Great Land!

65. Well, I was wondering if someone was brave enough to take a stab at this quiz item....and, of course, our good friend Seat 2A has no qualms whatsoever and leaps into the breech!

Well done, sir, with ten of the fifteen destinations correctly guessed! ^