FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

jlemon Mar 3, 2012 9:46 am

Originally Posted by tonywestsider (Post 18122066)
Guessing on these...

2) Eastern

7) A-340 all versions, and, the A-380 (yet...)

10) CO Golden Jets and Globes:
Boeing 707-100
Boeing 707-320
Boeing 720B
Boeing 727-100
Boeing 727-200
Boeing 737-200
Boeing 737-500
Boeing 737-700
Boeing 737-800
Boeing 737-900/900ER
Boeing 747-100
Boeing 757-200
Boeing 757-300
Boeing 767-200ER
Boeing 767-400ER
Boeing 777-200ER
Douglas DC-9-10
Douglas DC-9-30
McDonnell Douglas MD-80 series
Douglas DC-10-10
McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30
Airbus Industrie A-300B

2) Actually Delta. Routing with the L10 was DTW-TPA-FLL and FLL-TPA-ATL.

7) Correct! I believe that FedEx and UPS had ordered A380 freighters but then cancelled these orders.

BTW, the only A340 flight I've ever taken was roundtrip LAX-PPT on Air Tahiti Nui (down to Tahiti in coach and then back to LA in business class). I have yet to fly on an A380.

10) Excellent response, although as Seat 2A points out, CO also operated the B737-100 and -300. And I think that CO also operated the B747-200 or am I mistaken?

BTW, I've flown on every jet aircraft CO ever operated with the exception of the B707s, the B737-100 and the DC-9-10. My first flight on CO was back in the late 60's on a B720B LAX-IAH. Continental ceased to exist last night at midnight and will be missed by many good folks. Back in the day, CO was truly "The Proud Bird With The Golden Tail" and later on was also a great airline to fly on when Gordon Bethune and his team were on the job and making lots of positive changes. I was Platinum Elite with CO for many years and also met Gordon in Houston when he was CEO.

So long, Continental, and thanks for the mostly great memories!

jlemon Mar 3, 2012 9:53 am

With regard to the answers submitted by Wally Bird above.....

3) Pro Air is correct! This air carrier also operated at least one B737-300 in addition to the B737-400s and had ordered the MD-90, one of which was painted in the airline's livery but never operated by Pro Air as the carrier went out of business before placing the aircraft into service.

10) As mentioned above, Continental actually operated the A300B which I believe were ex-Eastern aircraft. I flew on CO operated A300s several times LAX-IAH and SFO-IAH.

jlemon Mar 3, 2012 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 18122606)
Good questions, jlemon! Here're some guesses!

4) What is the location and elevation of the highest commercially served airfield in the U.S. (meaning scheduled airline service)?

Currently, I would guess one of the Colorado ski areas like Sardy Field at Aspen maybe, but once upon a time Leadville, Colorado enjoyed commercial air service and it is the highest town in America at over 10000' elevation. It would probably be the highest ever served in the U.S.

8) Name as many former Fokker 100 operators that flew the type in the western hemisphere as you can.

American
Midway
Mexicana
US Airways
JetsGo (Canada)
Ocean Air? (Brasil)
PLUNA? (Uruguay)

By the way, on question 10 I would add to Tony's list of Continental jet aircraft flown the 737-100 and 737-300. The 100s were inherited from People Express and the 300s were ordered or leased outright.

4) And the highest commercially served airfield in the U.S. is......Telluride, Colorado (TEX) at an elevation of 9,078 feet. TEX is surrounded on three sides by several 14,000 ft. peaks which are part of the beautiful San Juan Mountains. Air service is currently provided by Great Lakes from DEN with B1900D turboprops and seasonally by US Airways Express (Mesa) with Dash 8s from PHX. This is a very interesting place to fly into on a beautiful day! And yes, Leadville Airport (LXV) is higher at 9,927 feet; however, this airfield currently does not have scheduled air service, although Rocky Mountain Airways did operate the DHC-6 "Twin Otter" on a routing of DEN-LXV back in the day.

8) Excellent response! Also Avianca and SAM (Colombia), Intair (Canada) and TAM and TABA (Brazil).

tonywestsider Mar 3, 2012 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 18125206)
2) Actually Delta. Routing with the L10 was DTW-TPA-FLL and FLL-TPA-ATL.

7) Correct! I believe that FedEx and UPS had ordered A380 freighters but then cancelled these orders.

BTW, the only A340 flight I've ever taken was roundtrip LAX-PPT on Air Tahiti Nui (down to Tahiti in coach and then back to LA in business class). I have yet to fly on an A380.

10) Excellent response, although as Seat 2A points out, CO also operated the B737-100 and -300. And I think that CO also operated the B747-200 or am I mistaken?

BTW, I've flown on every jet aircraft CO ever operated with the exception of the B707s, the B737-100 and the DC-9-10. My first flight on CO was back in the late 60's on a B720B LAX-IAH. Continental ceased to exist last night at midnight and will be missed by many good folks. Back in the day, CO was truly "The Proud Bird With The Golden Tail" and later on was also a great airline to fly on when Gordon Bethune and his team were on the job and making lots of positive changes. I was Platinum Elite with CO for many years and also met Gordon in Houston when he was CEO.

So long, Continental, and thanks for the mostly great memories!

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 18125260)
With regard to the answers submitted by Wally Bird above.....

10) As mentioned above, Continental actually operated the A300B which I believe were ex-Eastern aircraft. I flew on CO operated A300s several times LAX-IAH and SFO-IAH.

Thanks jlemon and Seat 2A for the additions about CO's 737s. I will make a note of that! Also, thanks for the correction about the L10 routing. It had to be either EA or DL.

I've actually flown on a lot of A340s, on the 300, 500 and 600 series. One of my favorite flights was on SQ's A340-500. It was an interline routing that began in CGK to SIN. Then the plane would continue on nonstop from SIN to LAX. I was seated in Executive Economy class, which is no more on SQ's 340-500s.

I remember flying on CO's A-300s and MD-80s. One itinerary was LAX-DEN-CLE/CLE-BOS. LAX-DEN-CLE was on an A-300. I stayed on the plane while on a stopover in DEN. We were late departing from DEN because the plane had weight issues on a hot/high departure from Stapleton Airport. CLE to BOS was on an MD-80. The return flight was BOS-CLE-DEN on an MD-80. Then DEN-LAX on an A-300. :D

tonywestsider Mar 3, 2012 4:27 pm

Old United Airlines History on this day of transition

I have one question but this might be a tough one for at least me because I don't know the answer. So I am relying on our good team of history experts here to confirm. Here goes:

Way back in the day before jet aircraft, United Airlines used to have ads with illustrations of their propliner fleet flying in formation. The illustrations were of their Convair 340, Douglas DC-6B and Douglas DC-7. They used to call the four-engine propliners, the "Mainliner 300s". What was the history behind this name and why did it refer to just certain aircraft, which were mostly to the Douglas four-engined propliners?

WHBM Mar 3, 2012 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by tonywestsider (Post 18127734)
They used to call the four-engine propliners, the "Mainliner 300s". What was the history behind this name and why did it refer to just certain aircraft, which were mostly to the Douglas four-engined propliners?

Way back in the mid-1930s United's marketing team came up with a publicity map of the USA with United's route structure, which was a bold east-west straight line from New York through Chicago and Denver to San Francisco, plus the north-south routes on the Pacific Coast. The map was done in a similar style to the railroad maps each rail company used to print in the Official Railway Guide (I'm guessing several here will be familiar with this old monthly publication, OAG's predecessor) and it was titled "Main Line across the USA". The term then became a feature of United's promotion.

Here's the prewar map (and a timetable cover using the term) from May 1939

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...a39/ua39-1.jpg

The first aircraft titled Mainliners were pre-war DC2s and DC3s.

Mainliner 300s came after the war, and were a reference to those new aircraft in the fleet capable of 300 mph.

tonywestsider Mar 3, 2012 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 18127979)
Way back in the mid-1930s United's marketing team came up with a publicity map of the USA with United's route structure, which was a bold east-west straight line from New York through Chicago and Denver to San Francisco, plus the north-south routes on the Pacific Coast. The map was done in a similar style to the railroad maps each rail company used to print in the Official Railway Guide (I'm guessing several here will be familiar with this old monthly publication, OAG's predecessor) and it was titled "Main Line across the USA". The term then became a feature of United's promotion.

Here's the prewar map (and a timetable cover using the term) from May 1939

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...a39/ua39-1.jpg

The first aircraft titled Mainliners were pre-war DC2s and DC3s.

Mainliner 300s came after the war, and were a reference to those new aircraft in the fleet capable of 300 mph.

WHBM Thanks for the awesome history of United's Mainliner concept! I do remember seeing some of those early maps myself. :)

jlemon Mar 3, 2012 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 18119922)
Another quick one .....

Who operated the VC10 to North America ? And for a bonus, who operated it's lookalike, the Ilyushin 62, there ?

And speaking of the venerable VC10, attention Seat 2A!

Were you able to come up with the actual routing of the BA VC10 service that stopped in HNL?

Thanks in advance! :cool:

dliesse Mar 3, 2012 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird (Post 18121913)
The question was "New York", Cubana only served Toronto IIRC. Still does.

Actually, the question (post #612) said North America.

dliesse Mar 3, 2012 10:28 pm

Haven't seen answers to these two yet, so...

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 18121915)
5) What airline operated jet service into Aberdeen, South Dakota (ABR) and what was the aircraft type?

6) What airline operated jet service into Cody, Wyoming and what was the aircraft type?

5. Both NC and RC, various aircraft at different times: DC-9-10, and DC-9-30.

6. WA, 737.

belfordrocks Mar 4, 2012 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 18108257)
Okay, here they are ~

UA 159 ORD-SEA-PDX
CO 420 SEA-PDX-DEN-ICT-OKC-IAH-MSY
NW 216 ANC-SEA-PDX-MSP-EWR
NW 730 SEA-PDX-ORD-ATL-MIA
CO 301 SEA-PDX-SJC-BUR
WA 629 MSP-SEA-PDX-LAX-PHX
BN 183 IAH-DAL-SEA-PDX
NW 15 DTW-MSP-SEA-PDX-HNL
CO 452 SEA-PDX-DEN-OKC-IAH
UA 43 JFK-SEA-PDX
CO 309 SEA-PDX-BUR-ONT
NW 735 MIA-TPA-ORD-SEA-PDX
CO 780 ITO-HNL-SEA-PDX

As to the two Eastern flights we see listed here ~
EA 91 SEA-PDX-OMA-STL-ATL
EA 97 SEA-PDX-STL-SDF

:eek::eek::D:D

Now did 500 mile minimums exist back in those days?

jlemon Mar 4, 2012 8:11 am

Originally Posted by belfordrocks (Post 18130449)
:eek::eek::D:D

Now did 500 mile minimums exist back in those days?

Nope. FF programs were not yet in existence....

However, some years later, Bob Crandall had an idea.........

jlemon Mar 4, 2012 8:27 am

Originally Posted by dliesse (Post 18129377)
Haven't seen answers to these two yet, so...

5. Both NC and RC, various aircraft at different times: DC-9-10, and DC-9-30.

6. WA, 737.

5) Correct! Back during the North Central days, aircraft was a D9S and the routing was DLH-MSP-ATY-ABR-PIR-RAP. The aircraft did a RON and then took off the next morning on a routing of RAP-PIR-ABR-ATY-MSP (ATY is Watertown, South Dakota)

6) Actually, Western never served Cody (COD). However, Continental did. Back when CO had a hub in DEN, their primary service to Cody was provided by Continental Express with ATR-42, EMB-120 "Brasilia" and B1900 turboprop service. However, one summer CO decided to operate a B737 into Cody from DEN, probably in order to try and take advantage of the seasonal traffic into nearby Yellowstone National Park. Frontier also served Cody at one point with Convair 580s but I am unsure whether FL ever operated jet equipment into COD.

Wally Bird Mar 4, 2012 10:11 am

Originally Posted by dliesse (Post 18129363)
Actually, the question (post #612) said North America.

Oops, you're right :o . Cubana it is then, who also had a scheduled stop at Goose Bay on TATL.

ETA: Wasn't there also IL-62 service (eastbound) to SEA by a Russian airline other than Aeroflot. My memory may be faulty, but I'm sure I saw them there late 1980s.

jlemon Mar 4, 2012 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird (Post 18131644)
Oops, you're right :o . Cubana it is then, who also had a scheduled stop at Goose Bay on TATL.

ETA: Wasn't there also IL-62 service (eastbound) to SEA by a Russian airline other than Aeroflot. My memory may be faulty, but I'm sure I saw them there late 1980s.

Never saw an IL-62 at SEA; however, I did see a wide body, four engine IL-86 several times at SEA operating a scheduled service to Russia. Unfortunately, I do not recall just what Russian airline was operating the flight!