FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

Seat 2A Mar 11, 2012 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 18161721)
S2A:

What's your overall itinerary (I would guess somewhere on the West Coast through Hong Kong to Jo'burg). We'll compare it with how it was done say 50 years ago :).

Finally, I have arrived in Knysna, South Africa where I'll be for the next three days. My itinerary was Alaska from Fairbanks to San Francisco and then Cathay Pacific from SFO to Johannesburg via Hong Kong. I have an old newsreel type production covering Pan American's Clipper service from Treasure Island to Hong Kong. It's pretty cool - a five day journey with overnight stops at a number of Pacific paradises along the way.

No inflight wifi on Cathay but I did put some time in on the next trip report.

http://images40.fotki.com/v776/photo...EOFFICE-vi.jpg
My Favorite Office in the Sky
Complete with complimentary Johnny Walker Blue Label

Seat 2A Mar 11, 2012 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 18174912)
And while we are talking about Cleveland......

2) What airline flew B707s nonstop between Cleveland and Rochester, NY (ROC)?
It's gotta be American. They even flew a DC-10 between Cleveland and Buffalo!

3) What airline flew the DC-9-30 nonstop between Cleveland and London, Ontario (YXU)?
Air Canada used to serve CLE with DC-9-30s. I didn't know they went to London, Ontario though but who else could it be?

4) What airline provided service between Cleveland's other airport (being Lakefront, BKL) and Detroit's other airport (City Airport, DET) and also the other airport for Columbus (Ohio State University Airport, OSU). In addition, what type of aircraft was used?

I don't want to answer too many, but I believe this airline flew Convair equipment. I used to fly into Detroit four nights a week back in the 70s. I'd be met at DTW and then we'd drive over to DET where we had a fleet of Turbo Commanders that moved our loads to destinations all over the northeast. I'd see posters for their service in the terminal.

jlemon Mar 11, 2012 5:15 pm

Seat 2A is correct with regard to questions #2 and #3 above.....

AA flew two roundtrip 707 flights a day between Cleveland and Rochester. Actual westbound routings were ROC-CLE-LAX and ROC-CLE-LAX-SAN.

Air Canada operated the DC-9-30 on a daily roundtrip routing of YYZ-YXU-CLE.

And as for question #4, this airline did operate Convair equipment. But what was the specific type of aircraft and what was the name of the air carrier?

N965VJ Mar 12, 2012 11:09 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 18180511)
And as for question #4, this airline did operate Convair equipment. But what was the specific type of aircraft and what was the name of the air carrier?

Wright Airlines; they operated turbo prop Convairs (580s?)

jlemon Mar 12, 2012 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ (Post 18184919)
Wright Airlines; they operated turbo prop Convairs (580s?)

Correct! In the mid 70's, Wright actually operated piston powered Convair 440 aircraft. It also appears they operated Convair 600 and 640 turboprops later on before ceasing operations some years later. And they operated a number of smaller piston and turboprop powered aircraft as well.

dliesse Mar 13, 2012 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 18173862)
I'll take a stab at question #3.......

I believe Frontier operated DHC-6 "Twin Otter" equipment into Alliance, Nebraska (AIA), Chadron, Nebraska (CDR), Cheyenne, Wyoming (CYS), Scottsbluff, Nebraska (BFF) and Sidney, Nebraska (SNY) back in the mid 70's. These services were operated by and large out of Denver.

Other FL "Twin Otter" scheduled flights served Billings, Montana (BIL), Glendive, Montana (GDV), Great Falls, Montana (GTF), Lewiston, Montana (LWT) Miles City, Montana (MLS), Sidney, Montana (SDY) and Williston, North Dakota (ISN).

There may have been other DHC-6 service operated by FL as well.

Of course, FL was also operating Convair 580s and B737-200s at this time....

Very good. You did miss three others in the north -- Wolf Point (OLF), Havre (HVR), and Bismarck (BIS). One route was BIL-BIS with all the cities along I-94, the other was GTF-BIS with all the cities along US 2.

dliesse Mar 13, 2012 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by dliesse (Post 18146983)
Here are a few more, spawned by the current conversations:

1. Besides CO, what other airline flew between HNL and GUM -- with 707s, no less -- in the early-to-mid-80s?

2. Why is the airline in #1 no longer in business?

3. What cities did Frontier routinely serve with Twin Otters (by routinely, I'm excluding one-off equipment substitutions and the like -- the Twin Otters were scheduled for the service)?

Any takers on #1 and #2?

cs57 Mar 14, 2012 2:51 am

1) Air Service between HNL/GUM--South Pacific Island Airways--
2) The FAA grounded them for 707 "issues" and in-flight navigational errors.

dliesse Mar 15, 2012 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by cs57 (Post 18197393)
1) Air Service between HNL/GUM--South Pacific Island Airways--
2) The FAA grounded them for 707 "issues" and in-flight navigational errors.

Bingo!

The in-flight navigational errors, BTW, included flying polar routes without certification and straying over Soviet airspace (made worse by the fact that it was after the Korean flight was shot down for doing just that).

I had the dubious distinction of being the last US government contract passenger on the HNL-GUM run (they also flew HNL-PPG, and maybe one or two other South Pacific points). They lost the contract and CO was supposed to have it starting 1 Oct 84 (the day I was flying), but CO didn't fly daily in those days. My OMA-DFW-HNL-GUM routing was on AA and HK. Coincidentally enough, the posted flight times DFW-HNL and HNL-GUM were identical: 7 hours 48 minutes.

HK was definitely an experience. No Smoking and Fasten Seat Belt signs were in English and Arabic, and flying out of HNL they weren't able to mix me a mai tai. Fortunately, at the time of this trip I had learned about their $60 standby upgrade to F, so at least it was better than flying in Y with all the uncontrolled little darlings.

WHBM Mar 15, 2012 1:41 pm

Just a quickie.

1970. I can leave London UK and head west, north, north-east or south-east, and get to the same destination, on a through flight, all on the same airline.

Where am I headed ?

jlemon Mar 15, 2012 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 18207528)
Just a quickie.

1970. I can leave London UK and head west, north, north-east or south-east, and get to the same destination, on a through flight, all on the same airline.

Where am I headed ?

I will guess Tokyo on BOAC.

WHBM Mar 15, 2012 2:35 pm

Wow that was quick ! I could ask aircraft type. On each route.

HK was definitely an experience. No Smoking and Fasten Seat Belt signs were in English and Arabic
Two of SPIA's four 707s had been bought from Kuwait Airways.

The in-flight navigational errors, BTW, included flying polar routes without certification and straying over Soviet airspace (made worse by the fact that it was after the Korean flight was shot down for doing just that).
This charter flight was a full load of Fijian soldiers travelling to the UN peacekeeping forces in Israel. Unless the navigation error was absolutely gross, I can't see how they could have come anywhere near the Soviet Union.

jlemon Mar 16, 2012 8:35 am

[QUOTE=WHBM;18207872]Wow that was quick ! I could ask aircraft type. On each route.

Just happened to take a look at the thread right after you posted the question....

So I take it Tokyo is correct? I guessed at this destination what with the old BOAC routes heading east as well as west (via JFK-SFO-HNL) and also the polar route via ANC.

As for equipment, I think the 707 is sure bet, especially via ANC and JFK-SFO-HNL, and perhaps the 747 as well heading east?

jlemon Mar 17, 2012 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 18174912)
Time to continue the quiz on a Saturday afternoon, I think......

1) Back in the mid 70's, Cleveland served as focus city for United with this carrier operating B747, DC-10, DC-8, B727 and B737 aircraft into CLE. The DC-8 equipment included the stretched Super 60 series (OAG code D8S) as well as the shorter fuselage model (OAG code DC8, which I believe were series 20 and series 50 aircraft).

Name as many cities as you can that had nonstop UA D8S service into CLE during the winter of 1976 (hint: there were five). And also name as many cities as you can that had nonstop UA DC8 service into CLE at this same time (hint: there were seven).

And while we are talking about Cleveland......

2) What airline flew B707s nonstop between Cleveland and Rochester, NY (ROC)?

3) What airline flew the DC-9-30 nonstop between Cleveland and London, Ontario (YXU)?

4) What airline provided service between Cleveland's other airport (being Lakefront, BKL) and Detroit's other airport (City Airport, DET) and also the other airport for Columbus (Ohio State University Airport, OSU). In addition, what type of aircraft was used?

And now let's head down South.....

5) In February of 1976, how many mainline jet flights did Delta operate to Shreveport (SHV) from Atlanta (ATL) on a daily basis? This number will include nonstop and direct, no change of plane service. In addition, name the three different jet aircraft types used for this service.

And finally to the Rocky Mountain region for a really obscure question....

6) Name the commuter airline that operated the Mitsubishi MU-2 twin turboprop (a small, high speed aircraft) from Aspen (ASE) nonstop to both Denver (DEN) and Salt Lake City (SLC) in scheduled service on a daily basis. This airline also flew the MU-2 in scheduled service nonstop between DEN and SLC.

I'll go ahead and answer the remaining questions.....

1) United DC-8 Super 60 series nonstop service into Cleveland from:

Chicago
Ft. Lauderdale
Grand Rapids
Los Angeles
Norfolk

1) continued) United DC-8 series 20 or series 50 nonstop service into Cleveland from:

Baltimore
Boston
Hartford
Newark
Las Vegas
Philadelphia
San Francisco
Washington (IAD)

BTW, at this same time, UA also operated DC-10s nonstop into CLE from Atlanta, Chicago, Miami, New York (LGA) and Tampa. In addition, UA operated one 747 flight a day into CLE nonstop from Chicago with onestop service from Las Vegas. The 747 did a RON in CLE and then went back to ORD nonstop the next morning with continuing onestop service to Honolulu.

These days, it remains to be seen whether the current small hub in CLE originally set up by Continental will survive the merger with United......

5) Delta actually operated twelve (12) daily flights from Atlanta to Shreveport (SHV) with mainline equipment. Only one of these flights was a nonstop which was flown with a B727-200 (72S) with an actual routing of LGA-ATL-SHV-BPT. Other flights were operated with B727-100 (727), 72S and DC-9-30 (D9S) aircraft.

Here are the routings with the aircraft types for the other eleven flights, which are chronologically shown from morning to evening:

72S: BOS-JFK-ATL-BHM-SHV-DFW
727: ATL-BHM-JAN-SHV-DFW-LAX
D9S: PHL-ATL-JAN-MLU-SHV-MEM-ORD
D9S: BAL-ATL-BTR-ESF-SHV-DFW
D9S: ATL-CSG-SHV-DFW
D9S: ATL-MEI-JAN-SHV-DFW
D9S: MCN-ATL-BHM-SHV-DFW
D9S: TYS-ATL-MLU-SHV-DFW
72S: BOS-BAL-ATL-JAN-MLU-SHV
72S: BOS-DCA-ATL-BHM-SHV-DFW
D9S: CHA-ATL-MGM-SHV

6) Priority Air Transport. To the the best of my knowledge, this was the only commuter airline in the U.S. that ever operated the Mitsubishi MU-2 twin turboprop in scheduled service. This air carrier went out of business rather quickly......

jlemon Mar 17, 2012 12:24 pm

And now that we've polished off the above, we'll continue with the quiz.....

1) What airline operated a DC-8 Super 60 nonstop between Nassau, Bahamas and Luxembourg?

2) What airline in North America called their Convair 640 turboprops the "Javelin Jet Prop"?

3) What airline in North America called their Fairchild F-27 turboprops the "Jethawk"?

4) What airline offered "Gold Carpet" service on some of their flights operated with jet and turboprop equipment?

5) What was the first city in the U.S. served by SAHSA, a Honduran airline, and what type of aircraft was initially used on the route?

6) United operated B727 aircraft into Santa Barbara (SBA) for many years on such routes as SBA-LAX, SBA-SFO, SBA-DEN and even SBA-ORD nonstop. What other airline served SBA with B727 equipment?

7) Back in June of 1968, what type of aircraft did TWA fly between Wichita, Kansas (ICT) and Amarillo, Texas (AMA)?

8) What airline experienced a flame out of the jet engines while on approach to New Orleans (MSY) in severe weather with the aircraft then gliding in and making a successful "dead stick" landing on top of a flood control river levee witn no serious harm to the passengers, crew or airplane?

9) Back in December of 1967, how many nonstop flights did American operate per day from Detroit (DTW) to Chicago (ORD)? Also, name the five (5) different aircraft types operated by AA on the DTW-ORD route in December of 1967.

10) Actor James "Jimmy" Stewart served on the board of directors for this airline. Name the airline.