Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by seat 2a
you're definitely on the right track, kt. 204 is correct. As i'm sure you know, "320" is just a generic boeing code for the 707 intercontinental. Think more specifically about northwest's designation. Same goes for lh and sa but without the aircraft attached.

204-351-0674
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by KT550
204-351-0674
(204) 351 are correct.

0674 are not. Again, think Lufthansa (XX) + South African Airways (XX)
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
(204) 351 are correct.

Looks like I've been making it too complicated...

204-351-3044
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
and to think I almost included the LH designator when I replied to Toshbaf’s inquiry about the Combi run to South America
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
(204) 351 are correct.

I see this two ways.

1) 204 351 2083

or

2) 204 351 5492
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Looks like I've been making it too complicated... 204-351-3044
And we have a connection! Good call, KT!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I see this two ways. 1) 204 351 2083 or 2) 204 351 5492
See the above post.

Britannia 737-200 would be a -204 model. Northwest 707-320 would be a -351 model. Finally, Boeing's customer numbers for Lufthansa and SAA are -30 and -44 respectively.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Alright then, here are a few more questions. As always, most of you guys are so smart that you could answer most or all of these simple queries in one fell swoop so please, limit your response to just two questions at a time so that others may have a decent chance of participating. Once I've addressed your correct response, feel free to answer a couple more - even if it's the same day. Good luck! (As if you pros need any of that!)

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1986....

1. You’ve just pushed back from the gate in Mexico City and are on your way to the runway when you spot not one but two elderly 707s parked at an adjacent terminal. Identify the two airlines flying cheduled passenger flights with 707s into MEX

2. Since Air Jamaica retired its DC-8s, the big four engine jetliner has been a rare sight at Montego Bay’s Sangster International Airport. These days MBJ is served by a single daily D8S and you’re about to board it! Which airline are you flying and where are you flying to?

3. You’re on Koror where it’s been a great week of diving and exploring submerged WWII ships. Now it’s time to return to Honolulu. Surprisingly, Air Mike only serves Honolulu via a connection in Guam. But wait! There’s another option – a 2-stop direct flight that just happens to be leaving Koror on Sunday afternoon. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

4. You’re off to Belize City for a week of diving at Roatan. Life could hardly get any better but it does when you’re informed that the flight taking you from Miami down to Belize City is operated with widebody equipment. What airline will you be flying on and what is the equipment?

5. Your job has you commuting regularly between Dusseldorf and London’s Heathrow International Airport. Three airlines serve this route – two of them with narrow bodied equipment and the other with three different models of wide bodied equipment. The latter is your airline of choice. Identify that airline and the three models of wide body equipment that it operates on the DUS-LHR route.

6. You’re in Manchester, England and need to travel to Gibraltar to deliver a yacht to Palma on the island of Mallorca. A call to your travel agent reveals that only one airline serves GIB from MAN so you quickly book a flight. Name the airline and the equipment.

7. The trip from Gibraltar to Palma went without incident and, after a couple of relaxing days enjoying the warm Mallorcan sun, it’s time to return to cold and rainy Manchester. From Palma one airline offers a single weekly flight back up to Manchester. Name the airline and the aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.

8. You’re in Copenhagen when the boss calls and says you need to head over to Berlin to assist in repairing one of your company’s escalators. No problem – you’ll just call Pan Am and book a seat into Tegel. No, no! Not that Berlin. This time we’re talking East Berlin in the German Democratic Republic. Oooo… Pan Am doesn’t fly there. A call to your travel agent reveals three Eastern Bloc airlines operating a variety of Soviet aircraft types. Sigh… But wait! There’s a single weekly flight on another airline that just happens to be departing Copenhagen tomorrow and get this: It’s operated with a Sud Aviation SE 210 Caravelle! Oh yeah! Book it Danno! Name the airline you’ll be flying upon.
A N S W E R E D

9. In late 1986, only one airline operated a Boeing 707 into Manchester, England. Name the airline. No need to identify where it flies in from as the name will give it away.

10. The Edinburgh Hogmanay (New Year’s Eve) celebrations are among the largest in the world and so you’ve decided to join the party and fly over to Edinburgh from your home in Amsterdam. You call KLM who politely informs you that they don’t fly from Amsterdam to Edinburgh. Thankfully, the res agent is kind enough to give you the name of the only airline that does. Identify that airline and the type of equipment it operates on its two almost daily nonstops.

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1994....

11. Although you arrived in Laughlin, Nevada via an airport shuttle from Las Vegas, you enjoyed such a nice run of luck on the craps tables that you can now afford to fly back home to Mountain View, California directly from the airport closest to Laughlin. Identify the closest airports to the aforementioned departure and arrival cities along with the airline and equipment serving this route with daily service.

12. It’s been a great weekend visiting friends and family in your old hometown of Grosse Point, Michigan. Last night’s victory by the Red Wings over the hated Chicago Blackhawks was one for the ages! Now it’s time to fly home to sunny Orlando, Florida and, unlike years past where only the major airlines offered expensive flights from nearby Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, you now have a choice of three low fare airlines providing nonstop service on the DTW-MCO route. A check of the schedules reveals that each of these airlines operates with different and unique equipment from one another. Identify the three airlines and the unique equipment each operates on the DTW-MCO route.
A N S W E R E D

13. While not an uncommon sight at Newark International Airport, Boeing’s 737-500 is rarely seen at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport – so rarely seen in fact that there is only one flight that operates just twice weekly. Identify the airline and the originating city of this flight.

14. Only one aircraft type is common to both Los Angeles, CA and Oshkosh, WI. You’ve found a way to fly on it all the way from LAX to OSH with just two connections. Identify the two connecting points, the airline and the aircraft in question.
A N S W E R E D

15. Identify the six airlines that serve Las Vegas with all-economy configured jet flights

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1987....

16. Business calls in Spokane, Washington. From your base in San Diego, that’s likely going to involve a connection somewhere. But no! Much to your surprise, there’s a daily 2-stop direct flight departing San Diego’s Lindbergh Field each morning. Identify the usual trio of indicators for this flight.

17. It’s been a fun weekend on Michigan’s Gull Lake outside of Kalamazoo, but now it’s time to return back to Washington DC and resume battle on the Senate Appropriations Committee which you chair. Although it wasn’t always so, there’s now a convenient 1 stop direct flight into Washington National that departs Kalamzoo each morning at 700a. Identify the airline, aircraft and intermediate stop.

18. Who’d have ever thought there one day be direct daily 1-stop service between St. Maarten and Detroit? Well there is now. Identify the airline, aircraft and intermediate stop.

19. Right on! The boss has finally given the green light for you to attend next week’s International Electronics Symposium being held this year in Minneapolis. A quick call to Northwest reveals that each of its three nonstops between Orange Country and MSP are completely sold out – even in First Class. Well dang! The prospect of driving the 405 up to LAX is never a pleasant one, so you’re thrilled to discover a single First Class seat available aboard a direct 2-stop flight out of SNA, arriving MSP the night before the show. Now if you can just find a hotel! In the meantime, identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

20. This U.S. airline operated affordable flights between New York, Miami and three central American cities. Because it is a U.S. airline however, you can take advantage of its affordable fare between Newark (EWR) and Miami. Identify the airline and the jet type you’ll be flying upon.

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1991....

21. The recent commencement of a new 2-stop direct flight between Missoula and Chicago is great news since you have to fly back to the home office at least five times a year. At last! No more long layovers enroute. And better yet, you’ll be served a snack and a lunch enroute. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops in order and the aircraft type.

22. Identify the three airlines operating MD80s between airports on the US mainland and Aruba

23. It’s spring break and this year you’ll be taking the family from your home in Denver to St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. You couldn’t be more pleased to discover that you can now fly direct from Denver to St. Thomas with just two enroute stops. And, thanks to your recent promotion and raise, you can take the family in First Class. What airline will you be flying on, what will be the two enroute stops and what type of airplane will it be?

24. What a fun week it’s been in Cancun! Maybe you’ll retire here someday. But for now, you must return to the world of stocks and bonds as a trader on New York’s Wall Street. Lots of airlines offer direct flights between Cancun and New York but only one serves New York’s LaGuardia Airport, conveniently located just three miles from your home in Astoria, Queens. It’s a daily service with First Class seats available. Identify the air carrier, the enroute stop and the equipment.

25. From Los Angeles (LAX), you can fly nonstop on a jet to three different Colorado ski areas. Each ski area is served by a different airline operating a different type of aircraft. Identify the three ski areas along with the airline and equipment that serves each one.

26. It used to be that if you wanted to fly on a jet out of Sept-Iles, Quebec, you’d board a Quebecair BAC-111. These days it’s a different single airline operating a different type of jet. Identify the airline and the jet type operated.

27. Years ago, if you wanted to fly from Las Vegas to Wichita, Kansas, there were a couple of well timed TWA flights serving the route. Alas, these days the only direct option is a one-stop redeye. Still, you don’t like making connections and so you book yourself a seat. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft type.

28. I have identified eight U.S. capital cities that once received mainline jet service but now, in 1991, are served only by propeller driven aircraft. Identify each of the eight cities along with the airline(s) that once served them with jets.
The following have been correctly identified: Pierre, SD (WA) Cheyenne, WY (WA) Santa Fe, NM (TI) Salem (UA) Trenton, NJ (UA, W7) Topeka, KS (ML, FL)

Miscellaneous Questions

29. What was the name of British Caledonian’s Gatwick Lounge for its Premium Class passengers?

30. What was the world's first inflight magazine to be published for a single airline? What airline was it?

31. What was the first European airline to be awarded a 5-Star rating for its overall service from the international air transport rating organization, Skytrax? (Only 9 airlines currently enjoy this distinction)

32. What was the first airline to operate scheduled flights with the A350 to the United States?
A N S W E R E D

33. What was the first scheduled airline in the United Kingdom to fly from all three main London airports? (Heathrow, Gatwick and Stanstead)
A N S W E R E D

34. Why did Qantas refer to its early 707s as “V-jets”?

35. When this airline commenced service to the U.S., it named the three aircraft it had purchased to serve the route (as well as other long distance routes, I’m sure) the Niña, the Pinta, and the Santa María after the boats used by Columbus on his famous voyage to the New World. Identify the airline and the aircraft type so named.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 8, 2019 at 6:04 pm
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Alright then, here are a few more questions. As always, most of you guys are so smart that you could answer most or all of these simple queries in one fell swoop so please, limit your response to just two questions at a time so that others may have a decent chance of participating. Once I've addressed your correct response, feel free to answer a couple more - even if it's the same day. Good luck! (As if you pros need any of that!)

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1986....

1. You’ve just pushed back from the gate in Mexico City and are on your way to the runway when you spot not one but two elderly 707s parked at an adjacent terminal. Identify the two airlines flying cheduled passenger flights with 707s into MEX

8. You’re in Copenhagen when the boss calls and says you need to head over to Berlin to assist in repairing one of your company’s escalators. No problem – you’ll just call Pan Am and book a seat into Tegel. No, no! Not that Berlin. This time we’re talking East Berlin in the German Democratic Republic. Oooo… Pan Am doesn’t fly there. A call to your travel agent reveals three Eastern Bloc airlines operating a variety of Soviet aircraft types. Sigh… But wait! There’s a single weekly flight on another airline that just happens to be departing Copenhagen tomorrow and get this: It’s operated with a Sud Aviation SE 210 Caravelle! Oh yeah! Book it Danno! Name the airline you’ll be flying upon.

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1994....

13. While not an uncommon sight at Newark International Airport, Boeing’s 737-500 is rarely seen at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport – so rarely seen in fact that there is only one flight that operates just twice weekly. Identify the airline and the originating city of this flight.

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1991....

28. I have identified eight U.S. capital cities that once received mainline jet service but now, in 1991, are served only by propeller driven aircraft. Identify each of the eight cities along with the airline(s) that once served them with jets.

Miscellaneous Questions

34. Why did Qantas refer to its early 707s as “V-jets”?

So many good questions that I cannot answer. But I can take a stab at a few. These are the ones I might be able to answer. #34, I know the answer. Some of the others, I can guess.

8. Sterling, it no longer flies. I think it flew to SXF. I am quite sure it flew Caravelles.

28. I can only guess and probably guess wrong.
a. Dover, Delaware, United (United for a short time flew to all 50 states)
b. Santa Fe, NM, Texas International
c. Tallahassee, FL, Delta
d. Cheyenne, WY, Frontier
e. Helena, MT, Northwest
f. Concord, NH, Pan Am (likely wrong)
g. Baton Rouge, LA, Delta
h. Montgomery, AL, Delta
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:16 am

32. What was the first airline to operate scheduled flights with the A350 to the United States?
8. Syrian Air

32. Qatar Airways (DOH-PHL?)
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: BA
8. Syrian Air
I think somewhere in the past reminiscences in this thread I describe this flight, for it was the last Caravelle I ever saw in the air. It was 1992 and Berlin had just been reunified when I visited. I had looked at the ABC Guide before going, and noticed this residual once a week Syrian Caravelle flight, which I think may have been the last remaining Caravelle schedule in Europe, as Air Inter had just finished with them. Anyway, I had put that aside, and was riding out elsewhere in the local Berlin S-Bahn train which passes eastwards but some miles to the north of Schonefeld airport. I believe it was Saturday early afternoon. Looked out of the window, and just at that moment there ahead was a Caravelle, inbound from Copenhagen, on final descent to the airport. It passed ahead of the train, and I watched it out of the other window as it gently dropped out of sight. And that was the end of countless airborne Caravelles I had seen over time.

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
8. Sterling, it no longer flies. I think it flew to SXF. I am quite sure it flew Caravelles
That wouldn't be altogether a wrong answer. The Syrian Caravelles were the later Super Caravelle version, with P&W engines rather than the original Rolls-Royce. Sterling also had a substantial fleet of these, the last to do so, and being a charter operator they would supply aircraft to Syrian whenever either of their own pair were undergoing major checks, which were indeed done for them by Sterling in Denmark. I do wonder if this odd Damascus-Berlin-Copenhagen Caravelle service was just retained to allow this interchange to take place as required. Otherwise they just appeared on local services around the Middle East. So you would see from time to time a Sterling aircraft on the run.

Last edited by WHBM; Feb 8, 2019 at 11:31 am
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

12. It’s been a great weekend visiting friends and family in your old hometown of Grosse Point, Michigan. Last night’s victory by the Red Wings over the hated Chicago Blackhawks was one for the ages! Now it’s time to fly home to sunny Orlando, Florida and, unlike years past where only the major airlines offered expensive flights from nearby Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, you now have a choice of three low fare airlines providing nonstop service on the DTW-MCO route. A check of the schedules reveals that each of these airlines operates with different and unique equipment from one another. Identify the three airlines and the unique equipment each operates on the DTW-MCO route.

14. Only one aircraft type is common to both Los Angeles, CA and Oshkosh, WI. You’ve found a way to fly on it all the way from LAX to OSH with just two connections. Identify the two connecting points, the airline and the aircraft in question.
12. I'll guess Spirit Airlines with a DC-9-30, Sun Country Airlines with a DC-10 and last (and perhaps least), a really obscure air carrier by the name of Leisure Air operating an A320.

14. Hmmmmm....when I think of Oshkosh, I think of Air Wisconsin. And in this case I believe it would be Air Wis operating as United Express. That leads us to BAe 146 with connections being made at Aspen (ASE) and Chicago O'Hare (ORD).
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
So many good questions that I cannot answer. But I can take a stab at a few. These are the ones I might be able to answer. #34 , I know the answer. Some of the others, I can guess.

While there are one or two people here who might actually know the answers to most of these questions, for most of us it really comes down to an educated guess. If you're wrong, no worries, we'll work out the answer through further responses. I'm reminded of Al Pacino's line the movie Scent of a Woman: "That's the beauty of the tango. If you get tangoed up, just tango on." Bottom line: Have fun with it.

Sterling, it no longer flies. I think it flew to SXF. I am quite sure it flew Caravelles.

Sterling did indeed fly Caravelles. Sadly, none of them ever wore the carrier's colorful "Beachball livery" As for the CPH-SXF route, we're looking for a different carrier. I might ask here - did Sterling ever offer scheduled flights? I thought they were strictly a charter carrier...

Getting back to the CPH-SXF question, let's check in with a couple more of our participants...

Per KT550: Syrian Air

Per WHBM: The Syrian Caravelles were the later Super Caravelle version, with P&W engines rather than the original Rolls-Royce. Sterling also had a substantial fleet of these, the last to do so, and being a charter operator they would supply aircraft to Syrian whenever either of their own pair were undergoing major checks, which were indeed done for them by Sterling in Denmark. I do wonder if this odd Damascus-Berlin-Copenhagen Caravelle service was just retained to allow this interchange to take place as required. Otherwise they just appeared on local services around the Middle East. So you would see from time to time a Sterling aircraft on the run.

I think somewhere in the past reminiscences in this thread I describe this flight, for it was the last Caravelle I ever saw in the air. It was 1992 and Berlin had just been reunified when I visited. I had looked at the ABC Guide before going, and noticed this residual once a week Syrian Caravelle flight, which I think may have been the last remaining Caravelle schedule in Europe, as Air Inter had just finished with them. Anyway, I had put that aside, and was riding out elsewhere in the local Berlin S-Bahn train which passes eastwards but some miles to the north of Schonefeld airport. I believe it was Saturday early afternoon. Looked out of the window, and just at that moment there ahead was a Caravelle, inbound from Copenhagen, on final descent to the airport. It passed ahead of the train, and I watched it out of the other window as it gently dropped out of sight. And that was the end of countless airborne Caravelles I had seen over time.

Syrian Air is correct. Here is the schedule for the CPH-SXF portion. From Berlin this flight continued on to Athens and then on to Damascus.

Syrianair RB 432 Copenhagen (CPH) 1000a-1140a Berlin (SXF) Caravelle Thu only

I can only guess and probably guess wrong.
a. Dover, Delaware, United (United for a short time flew to all 50 states) Incorrect. Dover never received jet service. United's entry into Delaware was via nearby Wilmington
b. Santa Fe, NM, Texas International Correct!
c. Tallahassee, FL, Delta Incorrect. In 1991, Tallahassee was still well served with F28s from US Air and 737-200s from Delta
d. Cheyenne, WY, Frontier Correct! / Incorrect. Cheyenne is correct. However Frontier only ever served CYS with DHC-6 Twin Otters. We're looking for a different airline...
e. Helena, MT, Northwest Incorrect In 1991Helena still saw 737-200s and 727-200s from Delta
f. Concord, NH, Pan Am (likely wrong) Incorrect I did a bit of research on this one, thinking Northeast may have once served Concord with DC-9-30s, but could find no evidence of such. Same goes for Pan Am II. So far as I can tell, Concord never saw scheduled jet service. If any of you know differently, please do post.
g. Baton Rouge, LA, Delta Incorrect In 1991 BTR still saw plenty of jet flights from Delta
h. Montgomery, AL, Delta
Incorrect In 1991 MGM still saw plenty of jet flights from Delta

We've got the ball rolling on this one. Let's finish off the rest of those states. Interestingly, I've flown jets through five of the eight state capitals that no longer enjoy jet service.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Correct response to question 8 addressed above.

Qatar Airways (DOH-PHL?)

Correct! Qatar Airways commenced A350-900 flights between Doha (DOH) and Philadelphia (PHL) on January 1, 2016.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 8, 2019 at 1:37 pm
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

I'll guess Spirit Airlines with a DC-9-30, Sun Country Airlines with a DC-10 and last (and perhaps least), a really obscure air carrier by the name of Leisure Air operating an A320.

Correct! Here are the relevant schedules:

Sun Country SY 81 Detroit (DTW) 700a-930a Orlando (MCO) DC-10 Saturday only

Spirit Airlines NK 505 Detroit (DTW) 430p-700p Orlando (MCO) DC-9-30 Wed Fri Sun only

Leisure Air L8 124 Detroit (DTW) 600p-830p Orlando (MCO) A320-200 Dinner Thursday only

Hmmmmm....when I think of Oshkosh, I think of Air Wisconsin. And in this case I believe it would be Air Wis operating as United Express. That leads us to BAe 146 with connections being made at Aspen (ASE) and Chicago O'Hare (ORD).

Correct! Not a lot of options I should imagine when you think of Oshkosh. Here's the schedule:

United Express UA 5480 Los Angeles (LAX) 700a-1005a Aspen (ASE) BAe-146 Snack Daily X Wed

United Express UA 5482 Aspen (ASE) 1115a-320p Chicago (ORD) BAe-146 Snack Daily X Tue

United Express UA 5390 Chicago (ORD) 825p-900p Milwaukee (MKE) 920p-945p Oshkosh (OSH) BAe-146 Daily X Sat

All flights operated by Air Wisconsin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.