Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
[QUOTE=jlemon;30336512]
25. It's the spring of 1961 and you are in Edmonton following a vacation visit to Jasper National Park in the Canadian Rockies. You've been invited to attend a symposium in New York City and now the only question is: how to get there? Much to your surprise, you've discovered a daily direct flight which departs Edmonton International (YEG) at 8:20 am and arrives into New York Idlewild (IDL) at 9:05 pm. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served on this flight which will make three intermediate stops en route. You book a seat in first class. Identify the airline, all three stops in the order in which they will be made and the aircraft type.
[endquote]

Happened to peek at your thread and couldn't ignore this one -- I grew up in Edmonton and some of my first flights were from YXD and YEG. In this case I did fly from YEG to MSP about the same time on Northwest, so I'll say the routing was YEG-YWG-MSP-MWK-IDL and the aircraft was a DC-7 -- either DC-7B or DC-7C. Glad to see the thread is still alive and well!

Last edited by miniliq; Oct 20, 2018 at 2:32 pm Reason: MSP typo
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
32. If you wanted to fly nonstop on a wide body aircraft from Amsterdam to Manchester in the U.K. at this time, what air carrier would you call and what type of jet would you be flying on?
I'm going to bite on this one. Cathay Pacific A340-300.

33. Only one airline was operating McDonnell Douglas MD-11 service from Bangkok to London and this flight made one intermediate stop en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the London area airport served by this flight.
And this. I recall CI flying TPE-BKK-LON but thought it was non-stop BKK-LON. I will guess the stop was AMS with a final destination of LHR.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
[QUOTE=miniliq;30337273]
25. It's the spring of 1961 and you are in Edmonton following a vacation visit to Jasper National Park in the Canadian Rockies. You've been invited to attend a symposium in New York City and now the only question is: how to get there? Much to your surprise, you've discovered a daily direct flight which departs Edmonton International (YEG) at 8:20 am and arrives into New York Idlewild (IDL) at 9:05 pm. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served on this flight which will make three intermediate stops en route. You book a seat in first class. Identify the airline, all three stops in the order in which they will be made and the aircraft type.
[endquote]
Happened to peek at your thread and couldn't ignore this one -- I grew up in Edmonton and some of my first flights were from YXD and YEG. In this case I did fly from YEG to MSP about the same time on Northwest, so I'll say the routing was YEG-YWG-MSP-MWK-IDL and the aircraft was a DC-7 -- either DC-7B or DC-7C. Glad to see the thread is still alive and well!
Hello miniliq! Glad to see that you are alive and well! I also hope all is well with your family over there in the New Orleans area!

25. And Northwest is correct, of course. Here's the sched.....

NW 224: Edmonton (YEG) 8:20a - 12:55p Winnipeg (YWG) 1:40p - 3:10p Minneapolis/St. Paul 3:45p - 5:00p Milwaukee (MKE) 5:25p - 9:05p New York Idlewild (IDL)
Freq: Daily
Equip: Douglas DC-7C
Service classes: First and Tourist (F/T)
Meal services in F/T: Breakfast YEG-YWG, Lunch YWG-MSP, Dinner MKE-IDL with "Imperial Service" in F on all legs
Note: No local traffic YEG-YWG
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach

And this. I recall CI flying TPE-BKK-LON but thought it was non-stop BKK-LON. I will guess the stop was AMS with a final destination of LHR.
Hello YVR Cockroach! Great to hear from you as well!

32. Cathay Pacific (CX) is correct....but not with an Airbus A340.

35. An excellent guess! However, the air carrier wasn't China Airlines (CI), the stop wasn't Amsterdam and this flight did not arrive into London Heathrow.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:28 pm

33. Only one airline was operating McDonnell Douglas MD-11 service from Bangkok to London and this flight made one intermediate stop en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the London area airport served by this flight. The airline wasn't China Airlines (CI), the stop wasn't AMS and this flight did not operate into LHR
I'll try Garuda for the MD-11 operator, although I don't recall the BKK destination, stopping at Frankfurt on the way.
Gatwick LGW for the London airport.

Last edited by KT550; Oct 20, 2018 at 3:40 pm Reason: LGW added
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:32 pm

For info, China Airlines definitely flew TPE-BKK-AMS with the MD-11 in late 1993. I was a passenger on the BKK-AMS sector. They weren't serving London then.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
I'll try Garuda for the MD-11 operator, although I don't recall the BKK destination, stopping at Frankfurt on the way.
Gatwick LGW for the London airport.
33. Hello KT550! Garuda Indonesia (GA) is correct with the flight arriving into London Gatwick (LGW).

However, the intermediate stop between BKK and LGW wasn't FRA so please guess again!
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:32 pm

33. Hello KT550! Garuda Indonesia (GA) is correct with the flight arriving into London Gatwick (LGW).

However, the intermediate stop between BKK and LGW wasn't FRA so please guess again!
Maybe Abu Dhabi AUH then
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:41 pm

32. If you wanted to fly nonstop on a wide body aircraft from Amsterdam to Manchester in the U.K. at this time, what air carrier would you call and what type of jet would you be flying on? Cathay Pacific (CX) operating a ______ (not an A340)
CX were flying 747-400s to London by then, so I'll guess they were using the same for HKG-AMS-MAN.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA
30. If you wanted to fly nonstop from East Midlands in the U.K. to Jersey in the Channel Islands, there was only one airline to call and it operated two different aircraft types on the route. Identify this air carrier and the two aircraft types.
I'll say it was British Midland, and the two types were a DC-9 and a BAe ATP.

31. If you wanted to fly nonstop on a wide body aircraft to London from Aberdeen in Scotland at this time, what airline would you call, what type of jet would you be flying on and what airport would you arrive into in London?
British Airways on a Boeing 767 into Heathrow.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe Abu Dhabi AUH then
33. Correct! Here's the complete sched....

GA 880: Denpasar Bali (DPS) 19:15 - 20:00 Jakarta (CGK) 21:05 - 00:35 Bangkok (BKK) 01:35 - 5:30 Abu Dhabi (AUH) 06:25 - 09;55 London Gatwick (LGW)
Freq: Sundays only
Equip: M11
Services classes: F/C/Y

And speaking of Bangkok.....here's a BONUS quiz item.....

36. At this same time in 1993, this airline claimed it was operating direct, two stop service with a single flight number being used twice a week from New York Kennedy (JFK) to Bangkok. However, in reality, there was an equipment change en route with the first flight operating nonstop service and the second flight operating one stop direct service with different equipment. Identify this air carrier, the location of the equipment change, the intermediate stop made by the second flight and both aircraft types. It wasn't Thai Airways (TG), Northwest (NW) or United (UA). Equipment did not include the A300, B747-200, B747-400 or DC-10-30. The equipment change point wasn't SEA or NRT.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 22, 2018 at 9:41 am
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CX were flying 747-400s to London by then, so I'll guess they were using the same for HKG-AMS-MAN.
32. Correct! Here's the complete sched....

CX 251: Hong Kong (HKG) 22:25 - 05:10 Amsterdam (AMS) 06:30 - 06:45 Manchester (MAN)
Freq: Fridays and Sundays only (Mondays and Saturdays only AMS-MAN)
Equip: 744
Service classes: F/J/Y

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 21, 2018 at 7:16 am Reason: frequency
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon;30336512
And speaking of Bangkok.....here's a [b
BONUS quiz item[/b].....

36. At this same time in 1993, this airline claimed it was operating direct, two stop service with a single flight number being used twice a week from New York Kennedy (JFK) to Bangkok. However, in reality, there was an equipment change en route with the first flight operating nonstop service and the second flight operating one stop direct service with different equipment. Identify this air carrier, the location of the equipment change, the intermediate stop made by the second flight and both aircraft types.
I am going to guess it was TG. A300 that alternately operated to SEA from JFK (which I didn't know about) and YYZ. The flight would have continued on a DC-10-30 to NRT and BKK (now of course, DMK).

I've heard there is a good Thai restaurant in Seatac (actual municipality adjacent to SEA) that's a legacy from this route.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
I'll say it was British Midland, and the two types were a DC-9 and a BAe ATP.

British Airways on a Boeing 767 into Heathrow.
30. Correct! I believe British Midland (BD) operated both the DC-9-10 and the ATP in single class service.

31. Correct as well! BA was also operating A320, 737 and 757 equipment at this time nonstop between Aberdeen and London Heathrow in addition to flying nonstop 737 service between Aberdeen and London Gatwick.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am going to guess it was TG. A300 that alternately operated to SEA from JFK (which I didn't know about) and YYZ. The flight would have continued on a DC-10-30 to NRT and BKK (now of course, DMK).

I've heard there is a good Thai restaurant in Seatac (actual municipality adjacent to SEA) that's a legacy from this route.
36. Ah, it was not Thai Airways (TG), the equipment change did not take place at Seattle (SEA) and A300 and DC-10-30 equipment were not operated on the service we are looking for by the airline in question. On the plus side, the intermediate stop made by the second flight was indeed Tokyo Narita (NRT). Please guess again, sir!

And speaking of Thai food, we sure discovered an outstanding restaurant and pub serving this excellent cuisine during our recent visit to London......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.