Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
13. While not an uncommon sight at Newark International Airport, Boeing’s 737-500 is rarely seen at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport – so rarely seen in fact that there is only one flight that operates just twice weekly. Identify the airline and the originating city of this flight.

A not so educated guess but not a wild guess. Mexican carrier, TAESA. Mexico City - JFK.

Better then a guess, T - you're spot on inasmuch as it was TAESA. Actually, the flight originated in MEX but flew in nonstop from Guadalajara. Here's the schedule:

TAESA GD 756 Guadalajara (GDL) 505p-1045p New York (JFK) Boeing 737-500
Dinner
Mon Fri only

34. Why did Qantas refer to its early 707s as “V-jets”?

No change in my answer. 'Cuz they wanted too, ha ha ha! V-Jet for Fan Jet or V for Vannus (blowing air).

Vannus it is! ^
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
not PLUNA
For question #1 , then I will guess Ecuatoriana.

Last edited by Toshbaf; Feb 9, 2019 at 4:29 pm
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
In response to Seat 2A......

Yep, you sure did.....and "Hayduke Lives" along with "Desert Solitaire", "One Life at a Time, Please", "Beyond The Wall", "Down The River", "Confessions of a Barbarian", "The Journey Home", "The Fool's Progress", "Abbey's Road" and, of course, "The Monkey Wrench Gang" as well as several other works all by Edward Abbey are in my book case.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
1. You’ve just pushed back from the gate in Mexico City and are on your way to the runway when you spot not one but two elderly 707s parked at an adjacent terminal. Identify the two airlines flying cheduled passenger flights with 707s into MEX

For question #1 , then I will guess Ecuatoriana.

Good call! Ecuatoriana it is with nonstop 707 flights from both Quito and Guayaquil.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I have to admit I've never heard of Ecuatoriana. I flew on LAPSA in its brief privatized existence in the mid '90s and learnt if was part of or affiliated with SAETA which I thus assumed was the only Ecuadorian airline..
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
9. In late 1986, only one airline operated a Boeing 707 into Manchester, England. Name the airline. No need to identify where it flies in from as the name will give it away.
9- I seem to recall that Cyprus Airlines was a regular at MAN
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I have to admit I've never heard of Ecuatoriana. I flew on LAPSA in its brief privatized existence in the mid '90s and learnt if was part of or affiliated with SAETA which I thus assumed was the only Ecuadorian airline..
Ecuatoriana's colorful jets made Alexander Calder's Braniff planes look fairly sedate by comparison. Just google "Ecuatoriana 720B" and hit Images sometime...
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
9. In late 1986, only one airline operated a Boeing 707 into Manchester, England. Name the airline. No need to identify where it flies in from as the name will give it away.

I seem to recall that Cyprus Airlines was a regular at MAN

And it still was in 1986, tho not with 707s. Please, guess again!!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Ecuatoriana's colorful jets made Alexander Calder's Braniff planes look fairly sedate by comparison. Just google "Ecuatoriana 720B" and hit Images sometime...
Not only that, but Ecuatoriana was much associated with Ecuador, much as Swissair was to Switzerland, VARIG was to Brazil, Sabena was to Belgium and Pan Am was to the United States. Sadly, all 5 of those airlines are no more. In the near future, there will be young adults who will say "I never heard of the airline, Pan Am".
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:35 pm
Suspended

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1987....

17. It’s been a fun weekend on Michigan’s Gull Lake outside of Kalamazoo, but now it’s time to return back to Washington DC and resume battle on the Senate Appropriations Committee which you chair. Although it wasn’t always so, there’s now a convenient 1 stop direct flight into Washington National that departs Kalamzoo each morning at 700a. Identify the airline, aircraft and intermediate stop.
I'm just making this up so the chance of being wrong is high.

AZO-LAN (Lansing, MI) - DCA, Republic Airlines, DC-9-30
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

17. (1987) It’s been a fun weekend on Michigan’s Gull Lake outside of Kalamazoo, but now it’s time to return back to Washington DC and resume battle on the Senate Appropriations Committee which you chair. Although it wasn’t always so, there’s now a convenient 1 stop direct flight into Washington National that departs Kalamazoo each morning at 700a. Identify the airline, aircraft and intermediate stop.

By virtue of its North Central roots, Republic was a big player throughout Michigan. However, RC was absorbed into Northwest in 1986 so we're looking for a different airline operating a different type of aircraft. The intermediate stop is outside of Michigan as well. I know I speak for many when I say we look forward to your next guess! ^

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 9, 2019 at 11:51 pm
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: BA

29. What was the name of British Caledonian’s Gatwick Lounge for its Premium Class passengers?
I believe this was the Clansman Room, and was in the current Gatwick South terminal, the name going with British Cally's very Scottish theme.

What was the world's first inflight magazine to be published for a single airline? What airline was it?.
I think this was "New Horizons", the Pan Am magazine which later became "Clipper". If it is, despite never having flown Pan Am, I had an extremely remote connection to it.

Last edited by WHBM; Feb 9, 2019 at 11:58 pm
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Toshbaf 17. (1987) It’s been a fun weekend on Michigan’s Gull Lake outside of Kalamazoo, but now it’s time to return back to Washington DC and resume battle on the Senate Appropriations Committee which you chair. Although it wasn’t always so, there’s now a convenient 1 stop direct flight into Washington National that departs Kalamazoo each morning at 700a. Identify the airline, aircraft and intermediate stop.

By virtue of its North Central roots, Republic was a big player throughout Michigan. However, RC was absorbed into Northwest in 1986 so we're looking for a different airline operating a different type of aircraft. The intermediate stop is outside of Michigan as well. I know I speak for many when I say we look forward to your next guess! ^

AZO - DAY (Dayton, Ohio) - DCA, Piedmont Airlines, Boeing 737-200

Again, I am showing up at the airport telling them I want this flight. I hope it won't be like showing up at the airport looking for the Republic counter, told to go to Northwest, then told "sorry, we don't have such flight"! But, if this happens, I have a 3rd and final inquiry to another airline check in counter.

Last edited by Toshbaf; Feb 10, 2019 at 12:38 am
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:16 am

It wasn't Cyprus Airways
TAP Air Portugal?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KT550
TAP Air Portugal?
Are you sure it wasn't a Boeing 720, a 707 variant? If so, not TP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.