Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by jlemon
Excellent answers above from WHBM and Seat 2A!

6) The airline was actually COPA (CM) flying a B737 on routing of GUA-SJO-PTY-SDQ-SJU and return.

10) Midwest Express (YX) is correct! And the DC-9-30 was also used. Here are the actual routings from the late summer of 1994:

YX 35: OMA-SAN-LAX-OMA flown every day except Saturdays with a D9S.

YX 60: OMA-LAX-SAN-OMA flown on Saturdays only with a D9S.

YX 901: SAN-LAX-MKE flown with weekend exceptions with an MD-80.

YX 902: MKE-LAX-SAN-MKE flown with a differing schedule with regard to weekend service with an MD-80.

YX 971: MKE-SAN-LAX-MKE flown on Sundays only an MD-80.

I had the opportunity to fly Midwest Express from SFO to MKE and also from MKE to LAX. Both flights were on MD-80 equipment with 2-2 seating and the cabin service & meals were great!
So this must have been the pre-cursor to YX's "Signature Service" in the first decade of this century? Their Signature Service was configured on their new Boeing 717s while at the same time, their MD-80s were then converted to 3+2 seating. This later changed again to 2+2 seating for the first few front rows to a "Signature Class" configuration on the MD-80s. All of this happened prior to YX being bought out by Republic Airlines and then merged into F9.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WHBM
Yes, B Cal did serve St Louis from London Gatwick. Under the old "Bermuda Agreement" this fell in the Gatwick, not Heathrow area, and thus B Cal served there along with Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc. Houston itself was long a key route for them, they had good links with the oil industry and there were connections at Gatwick both ways (some on Dan-Air) to Aberdeen in Scotland, Stavanger in Norway and Saudi Arabian points. Regarding St Louis, B Cal started on 707s in 1980, then moved on to DC10s later.

BCal merged with BA, who gave up St Louis, and then later TWA started up in the 1990s on the route, using 767s.
I second that answer.

British Caledonian had a nice livery. They flew DC-10's, BAC One Elevens, and other planes in its history.

At one time, British Airways took all of the good routes. B.Cal did manage to squeeze its way to some U.S. routes, like mentioned above. B.Cal also flew to Banjul, The Gambia and some routes to Africa.

I once saw in DFW, B.Cal's DC-10 G-MULL. It was originally struck by a missile upon landing in Afghanistan. I normally don't remember plane registrations but I knew the history of G-MULL and was surprised when I saw it.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:16 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Wally Bird

Wild guesses (including the Jameson effect):
If we're in the oil or helicopter industry we might be off to Aberdeen. British Airways will take us there from Heathrow on a schedule similar to todays. But we could also go from London Gatwick. Which airline ?
Dan-Air.
Yes, good old Dan Dare (or, correctly, Davies & Newman Airlines Ltd, but always written on aircraft as Dan-Air), our long-lasting independent airline who lasted for 40 years doing absolutely every type of work. Probably best known for holiday charter flights from virtually every UK airport down to the Mediterranean in the summer (an business, to places like Spain or Greece, which completely dwarfed the scheduled operators in pre-Easyjet/Ryanair days), they got licences for some schedules from London Gatwick as well. The aircraft to Aberdeen, inevitably, was a BAC One-Eleven.

Sabena of Belgium will take us to Brussels in a 737. But where else will their 737s take us nonstop, three times today ?
Dublin
Surprisingly, it's Antwerp. This is just 20 miles down the road from Brussels, but had a separate service. It didn't last much longer. Sabena also still did commuter services from London Heathrow with Beech 99s (remember those ?). One was a twice-daily service to Liege, the other twice daily (leaving at almost the same times) to Ostend and on to Charleroi. Nowadays you can still get from London City to Antwerp, but not from there to Brussels.

Who had a one-stop 747 service to Honolulu ?
Air New Zealand
Actually it was Pan Am, PA125 daily from London through San Francisco. Air NZ were not serving London at this time, although their aircraft could be seen there daily on the hire arrangement BA had with them at the time. The Air NZ aircraft on Fridays operated from London to Montreal, they had complex rosters that led to hem being away from New Zealand for about a week.

There was a multiple daily service to the nearest airport in France. Which airport, airline, aircraft type ?
Le Touquet, BUA, Viscount
Airport is correct. You can actually see Britain on a clear day from there, across the Dover Strait. But BUA had long retired their Viscounts, which indeed started the service in the 1960s, when they traded them in for One-Elevens, quite inappropriate for such a short service, and it was passed through a series of other operators. By 1980 it was in the hands of Air UK, three times a day from Gatwick with Handley Page Heralds. The key aspect of Le Touquet, a small little seaside town that would never merit an air service, is the French railways built a spur track right into the airport and across the ramp like an elongated grade crossing, a two-car diesel train came up there, the Herald parked alongside, and passengers transferred directly without going through the terminal. And then the train set off non-stop to Paris.

Schedules to Le Touquet have long gone but I fly myself over there in G-WHBM on odd occasions as it's a nice little trip from London, and the abandoned rail tracks are still there, embedded in the concrete of the ramp, I guess it's too much trouble to dig them up. Here they are on Google Earth, you can trace the route to the main railway a couple of miles to the east.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=50.5149...10525&t=k&z=17

Who was operating DC10s London to New York ?
Laker
Yes, three times a day from Gatwick.

Flights to Singapore were beyond nonstop range in those days, they all stopped along the way. Who had the fastest overall flight, and how did they achieve it ?
Singapore International, Concorde
Yes, although the airline can be argued over. British Airways completely operated the service, (just like they did the London-Washington-Dallas operation with Braniff), Singapore's contribution was a code share and painting of the tailfin (one side only) in Singapore colours. It stopped at Bahrain to refuel, just like the 747s did then. The route was fascinating, slowly down over France, then supersonic once past Nice along the length of the Mediterranean, slow down at Egypt, along the Israel border, supersonic again across Saudi Arabia (who permitted this) to Bahrain. Refuel, supersonic out across Saudi again and over the Indian Ocean to Singapore. Three times a week. One of the guys in my office here did it around 1980, Bahrain to London, when he was a junior engineer, he cashed in some of his end-of-contract expat bonus to upgrade to it; apparently this was quite common.

Finnair had two flights to Helsinki with two different aircraft types. Which ones ?
DC-9, Caravelle
Correct, Finnair were a typical early European Caravelle operator, but when the Super Caravelle came along quite late in the production run (it had JT8Ds instead of the original Rolls-Royce Avon turbojets) they, uniquely, traded the old ones in for the new. Because of this their Caravelles lasted longer than most. Later they moved on to DC9s. By 1980 they were in mid-transition of this.

I can take a flight to Baltimore which stops over in Boston. Which airline and aircraft ?
TWA L-1011
Actually it as World Airways, long known at Gatwick for charters from the USA, giving it a shot with schedules on their DC10s. Didn't last for long

Which airline has three DC8-63 flights out of Heathrow on this day ?
KLM
Yes, seevral European carriers (Swissair was another) had a peak of demand to London in the morning, while they had long-haul aircraft standing for several hours at this time, so used their large aircraft on a fill-in trip. KLM however had three DC8 services through the day, which was an expensive operation on such a short route.

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 2, 2012 at 4:21 am
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
So this must have been the pre-cursor to YX's "Signature Service" in the first decade of this century? Their Signature Service was configured on their new Boeing 717s while at the same time, their MD-80s were then converted to 3+2 seating. This later changed again to 2+2 seating for the first few front rows to a "Signature Class" configuration on the MD-80s. All of this happened prior to YX being bought out by Republic Airlines and then merged into F9.
I think it was. Midwest Express (which later shortened its name to Midwest) initially began operations with DC-9-10s and then I believe added DC-9-30s, neither of which had the range to fly MKE to LAX or SFO nonstop. So several MD-80 aircraft were added to fleet in order to enable service to California. The on board service when I flew them was definitely a cut above. However, I do not think they called it "Signature Service" at that time although they were baking their "signature" cookies on board back then.

Later on, YX began flying OMA to LAX/SAN with the D9S as this aircraft type had the range for such nonstop service. Then the B717 was added to the fleet as the older DC-9s were phased out. I think Midwest eventually operated 25 B717s.

Then along came Republic which bought the carrier and the 717s were disposed of. YX started out as a corporate shuttle operation for the Kimberly-Clark company before taking the plunge into scheduled airline operations.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
As we await additional answers for WHBM's excellent set of questions, I'll submit a few more quiz items on this beautiful Saturday morning....

1) Back in 1981, how many jet aircraft did Alaska Airlines operate in their fleet?

2) Provide a domestic U.S. route example flown by Delta with B747-100 equipment.

3) Provide a domestic U.S. route example flown by Eastern with B747-100 equipment.

4) Provide a domestic U.S. route example flown by TWA with B747-100 equipment.

5) Name an airline that operated nonstop service between Eureka/Arcata (ACV) and Redding (RDD) in California.

6) What Central American airline flew nonstop between Santo Domingo (SDQ) and San Juan (SJU)?

7) Back in the late summer of 1994, what airline flew nonstop between Santo Domingo (SDQ) and Miami (MIA) with Lockheed L-1011 equipment?

8) Also back in the late summer of 1994, if you wanted to travel direct with no change of plane from Omaha (OMA) to Acapulco (ACA), what airline would you fly on? Also name the aircraft type this airline operated on this routing.

9) And once again back in the late summer of 1994, name the only airline that flew nonstop jet service between San Diego (SAN) and Tucson (TUS). Also name the aircraft type operated on the route.

10) What airline provided an essentially all business class type of seating layout (2-2 seating) on their jet aircraft service between San Diego (SAN) and Los Angeles (LAX)? Also name the aircraft type operated (hint: this was not a regional jet).
Questions 1), 7), 8) and 9) are still up for grabs. Any takers? I'll wait awhile before I close them out......
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Well, I'll take a few guesses...

1) Back in 1981, how many jet aircraft did Alaska Airlines operate in their fleet?

7) Back in the late summer of 1994, what airline flew nonstop between Santo Domingo (SDQ) and Miami (MIA) with Lockheed L-1011 equipment?

I don't think BWIA ever flew into SD, so let's go with Faucett

8) Also back in the late summer of 1994, if you wanted to travel direct with no change of plane from Omaha (OMA) to Acapulco (ACA), what airline would you fly on? Also name the aircraft type this airline operated on this routing.

I'll go with Continental via Houston using a 737-300/500

9) And once again back in the late summer of 1994, name the only airline that flew nonstop jet service between San Diego (SAN) and Tucson (TUS). Also name the aircraft type operated on the route.

TWA had a few odd routes. I'll pick them
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Once again, our man in Alaska leaps into action!

However, unfortunately, none of those answers are correct!

So I'll let them sit out there for awhile longer in case you would like to try again or if someone else cares to respond...

BTW, just had two (2) U.S. Navy F/A-18 "Hornet" strike fighters going roaring out of ARA right by my office on takeoff. Always great to see (and hear) those guys!
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by WHBM
Le Touquet, BUA, Viscount
Airport is correct. You can actually see Britain on a clear day from there, across the Dover Strait. But BUA had long retired their Viscounts, which indeed started the service in the 1960s, when they traded them in for One-Elevens, quite inappropriate for such a short service, and it was passed through a series of other operators. By 1980 it was in the hands of Air UK, three times a day from Gatwick with Handley Page Heralds.
Ya know, I knew that . For some reason whenever I think of British airlines, Air UK never comes to mind. Must be the name 'Air Yuk' or maybe that awful blue paint job.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

I'll go ahead and close out the remaining questions here....

1) According to their 1981 annual report, Alaska Airlines operated a grand total of just fourteen (14) jet aircraft at this time: five (5) B727-100s (three of which were convertible models for pax/freight operations), six (6) B727-200s and three (3) Boeing 737-200s (all of which were convertible models for pax/freight operations and were also relatively new to the AS fleet as they were meant to replace older B727-100 aircraft).

The annual report mentions the company's concerns with regard to a possible merger by Western and Wien Air Alaska (which did not happen). Other concerns were a fare war initiated by United as well as new competition in the Pacific Northwest from PSA and Air Cal. However, AS also reported a net income of over $7.6 million in 1981 which was termed "the greatest profit in the airlines 50 year history".

Alaska was also still new to the California market back then with nonstop service between SEA and BUR, ONT and SFO with onestop service to PSP via SFO. In addition, the airline was flying an interchange service (the "Pipeline Express") in conjunction with Braniff with a routing of IAH-DFW-SEA-ANC-FAI. And the only other non-Alaska city served at this time was PDX. AS was obviously still a small carrier in 1981 but with big plans.....

7) Well, Seat 2A, it appears you were partially right after all! The airline was APA International Air, S.A. (7P) based in Santo Domingo, DR. They initiated operations with a Faucett L-1011 but went on to operate their own aircraft as well. Besides SDQ-MIA, they also flew to New York, San Juan, Caracas and other Latin American destinations from Santo Domingo. Besides a pair of Lockheed L-1011s (which were apparently configured with "premium" first class as well as business class and coach), 7P also operated Airbus A300, Boeing 727-200 and Boeing 737-400 aircraft.

8) American Airlines operating an MD-80 on a routing of DSM-OMA-DFW-ACA.

9) Morris Air (KN) with B737-300s. But not for long as Southwest acquired Morris Air in short order and then continued flying the SAN-TUS nonstop service. And WN is still the only nonstop operator on this route at present.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 3, 2012 at 8:18 am Reason: Additional AS info from their 1981 annual report
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:34 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
I think it was. Midwest Express (which later shortened its name to Midwest) initially began operations with DC-9-10s and then I believe added DC-9-30s, neither of which had the range to fly MKE to LAX or SFO nonstop. So several MD-80 aircraft were added to fleet in order to enable service to California. The on board service when I flew them was definitely a cut above. However, I do not think they called it "Signature Service" at that time although they were baking their "signature" cookies on board back then.

Later on, YX began flying OMA to LAX/SAN with the D9S as this aircraft type had the range for such nonstop service. Then the B717 was added to the fleet as the older DC-9s were phased out. I think Midwest eventually operated 25 B717s.

Then along came Republic which bought the carrier and the 717s were disposed of. YX started out as a corporate shuttle operation for the Kimberly-Clark company before taking the plunge into scheduled airline operations.
Thanks, jlemon for the history. Even up to 2007, which was when I last flew on the pre-merger YX, they were serving steaks and tapas in their Signature Service 717 flights between LAX and MKE and MKE to DCA. I also flew pre-merger YX from LGA to MKE with the same type of service. Their 2+2 seating were leather Recaro seats with legrests. I think they used real salt and pepper shakers with their meal service. In addition to cooked onboard chocolate chip cookies, they also served gazpacho soup and were probably the only domestic airline to do so without F class. They also had Digi-players on board these flights.

Then in 2011, I flew on the post-merger YX from DCA to MKE in an Embraer E-170, where only sodas and coffee were served, along with the chocolate chip cookies and broken reading lights to accompany the inflight service. The contrast between the former and the latter YX (now F9) made me burst suddenly into tears after the flight.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
It's 1:55am here at latitude 65. Although the sun set a little more than an hour ago, there's plenty enough light to fire off a few new questions based upon schedules published in the November 15, 1970 OAG. Good luck and good night!

1. What airline offered thru-flight service between New York and Elgin Air Force Base, Florida?

2. You’re booked to depart New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport at 10:45am on this daily nonstop flight to Fairbanks, Alaska. Name the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying aboard.

3. This airline operated four different sizes of aircraft on its seven daily flights between Detroit and Buffalo. Name the airline and the aircraft utilized.

4. It’s 4:40pm as your 727-100 taxies away from the terminal at Grand Cayman, bound for San Juan, Puerto Rico with an intermediate stop in Kingston, Jamaica. What airline are you flying?

5. Effective December 1st, 1970, this airline offered the only 747 service into Phoenix with a single daily flight. Name the airline and the route.

6. It’s 12:00n and you’ve just taken off on a cold, drizzly day at St. Louis’ Lambert Field. Ahead lies a 9 hour and 55 minute flight nonstop to sunny Honolulu, Hawaii. What airline and aircraft would you be flying upon?

7. Name the three airlines that offered nonstop 747 service between Chicago and Los Angeles.

8. It’s 9:10am as you climb through the clear desert skies above Albuquerque and adopt a southwesterly heading on your 55 minute flight to Tucson. What airline and aircraft would you be flying?

9. This airline operates two-class service aboard the largest jet scheduled into Grand Junction, Colorado. Name the airline and the aircraft type.

10. Although six daily 747s were scheduled between Los Angeles and Honolulu, it was still possible to fly nonstop aboard 707s from five different airlines. Name the airlines.

11. Which U.S. airlines were operating 720s on the November 15, 1970 schedule?

12. You want to purchase a ticket on a nonstop flight between Ft, Lauderdale and Los Angeles. Which airline should you call?

13. By 1970, only one airline still flew Lockheed Electras to and from Seattle. Name the airline and the single route served.

14. You want to fly nonstop from New York to Manchester, New Hampshire. Which airline would you call?

15. Which three airlines offered daily nonstop jet service on the 8 mile flight between Oakland and San Francisco?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent questions from Seat 2A!

I'll take a stab at several via pure guess-work:

1. Southern with a DC-9-10

2. Pan Am with a B747-100

6. American with a B707-320B

7. American, TWA and United

8. Frontier with a B737-200

9. United with a B727-200

11. Alaska, American, Braniff, Continental, United and Western

13. Reeve Aleutian to Cold Bay, AK

14. Northeast

15. American, TWA and United

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 5, 2012 at 7:44 am Reason: Additional wild a** guess!
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
I'm back to very hot MSY, so will also try to answer some of the latest questions from Seat 2A, some of which may be different from jlemon:

2. Pan Am with a B-707

3. Probably AA, but I can only come up with 707 and 727 for aircraft.

4. I'd guess BWIA; I don't think Cayman Airways served SJU

5. Northwest HNL-PHX-MSP

9. United with a DC-8 from ORD

12. Delta

14. Delta
Old Jul 5, 2012, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Alrighty then - we're off to a great start on this fine sunny morning here in Alaska's Interior. The squirrel that had been stealing insulation from my cabin walls has now been convinced not to - permanently. And now, with a steaming cup of Sumatran/Colombian java to empower me, let's go over some of the excellent answers submitted to my recent questions ~

1. What airline offered thru-flight service between New York and Elgin Air Force Base, Florida?

jlemon, allow me to quote the late TV sidekick and pitchman Ed McMahon: "You are correct, sir! Har - Har - Har!!" In late 1970 Southern offered four daily direct flights from New York (LGA and EWR) to Northwest Florida Regional Airport (VPS) serving communities from west of Pensacola to east of Panama City and southern Alabama. Although VPS refers to the nearby city of Valparaiso, Fl., the city most closely associated with VPS in today's schedules is Ft. Walton Beach.

2. You’re booked to depart New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport at 10:45am on this daily nonstop flight to Fairbanks, Alaska. Name the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying aboard.

miniliq is correct! Pan American's New York to Tokyo service made a fuel stop in Fairbanks. Pan Am also served Fairbanks with daily departures from Seattle. Pan Am's 1:00am 747 nonstop to SEA was the way to travel outside back in the late 1970s. That flight turned around at Fairbanks and made a lot more profit in the cargo compartment than the passenger cabin.

3. This airline operated four different sizes of aircraft on its seven daily flights between Detroit and Buffalo. Name the airline and the aircraft utilized.

American is correct, miniliq. As to the aircraft, here's a hint: I phrased the question "four different sizes of aircraft" rather than "four different types of aircraft". Think about American's fleet back in 1970...

4. It’s 4:40pm as your 727-100 taxies away from the terminal at Grand Cayman, bound for San Juan, Puerto Rico with an intermediate stop in Kingston, Jamaica. What airline are you flying?

Ya, Mon! BWIA's 727 Sunjets did indeed ply this route. Less than a year later, BWIA's three 727s were traded to Braniff for four 707-227s.

5. Effective December 1st, 1970, this airline offered the only 747 service into Phoenix with a single daily flight. Name the airline and the route.

Alas, Northwest did not serve Phoenix back in 1970. I'll leave this one out there...

6. It’s 12:00n and you’ve just taken off on a cold, drizzly day at St. Louis’ Lambert Field. Ahead lies a 9 hour and 55 minute flight nonstop to sunny Honolulu, Hawaii. What airline and aircraft would you be flying upon?

Mahalo to jlemon. Many of American's 707s were just beginning to be refurbished with the widebodied interior. Dubbed "Luxury jets", some of them even included an attractive First Class lounge at the front of the cabin. That is no doubt where you would find most of this thread's participants. I can just taste that first Mai Tai now as we reach cruising altitude somewhere over western Kansas... tonywestsider, would you pass those Macadamia nuts, please?

American's 707 Luxury Jet

7. Name the three airlines that offered nonstop 747 service between Chicago and Los Angeles.

American and TWA are correct. Surprisingly however, United did not yet operate 747s on this route. TWA scheduled three per day, American and this other airline two each per day.

8. It’s 9:10am as you climb through the clear desert skies above Albuquerque and adopt a southwesterly heading on your 55 minute flight to Tucson. What airline and aircraft would you be flying?

Right on, jlemon! Frontier's spacious layout (The 737-200 offered 106 standard class seats with 38" pitch) and excellent inflight service would have left many of us wishing that this flight were longer.

9. This airline operates two-class service aboard the largest jet scheduled into Grand Junction, Colorado. Name the airline and the aircraft type.

United would seem a likely choice but as of the 11/15/70 schedule, it was not. miniliq is correct however in that United did occasionally schedule DC-8s between Chicago and Grand Junction as a Saturday only ski flight serving Powderhorn, Telluride and Aspen ski areas. Occasionally even a DC-8-61 was scheduled. But again, as of 11/15/70 a different airline offered two-class service aboard what was then the largest aircraft serving GJT, so Ill leave this one open.

Mr. Lemon, you are correct on all counts (Alaska, American, Braniff, Continental, United and Western) but you are missing one major operator...

12. You want to purchase a ticket on a nonstop flight between Ft, Lauderdale and Los Angeles. Which airline should you call?

Delta would seem a likely choice, but alas, it was a different airline...

13. By 1970, only one airline still flew Lockheed Electras to and from Seattle. Name the airline and the single route served.

Reeve Aleutian did indeed serve Seattle with Lockheed Electras from Cold Bay, Alaska, but not until 1979. This was a different airline and route...

14. You want to fly nonstop from New York to Manchester, New Hampshire. Which airline would you call?

Once again, Delta would seem a reasonable call these days, but this was 42 years ago and a different airline offered the service with large, twin engined props.

15. Which three airlines offered daily nonstop jet service on the 8 mile flight between Oakland and San Francisco?

Good job, jlemon! American, TWA and United offered nonstop service on this very short route. San Francisco and Oakland Helicopter Airlines scheduled its Sikorski S-61s over the route in just 8 minutes while the jets were scheduled for anywhere from 16-20 minutes. American's First Class "In-State Only Travel" First Class fare was $6.48. Oh Stewardess, may I have a refill on that drink, please?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 5, 2012 at 1:01 pm
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's 1:55am here at latitude 65. Although the sun set a little more than an hour ago, there's plenty enough light to fire off a few new questions based upon schedules published in the November 15, 1970 OAG. Good luck and good night!

When in doubt, try, try again!

American, Continental and TWA

Alaska, American, Braniff, Continental, Eastern, United and Western

Western: Kodiak-Seattle nonstop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.