Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Condolences and prayers go out to all who've lost so much in the northern California wildfires. I especially wish Captain Ed well in putting his life back together again. ^

I am rolling sedately along through east central Florida aboard the Silver Meteor. At present I am comfortably ensconced in my blissfully air conditioned accommodations aboard Amtrak's Viewliner sleeper. Sadly, this car bears no name. Its number indicates it was once known as Susquehanna River. In any event, I'll be riding the rails for the next four days from Florida to Washington DC to Chicago to Seattle. My 1:15pm luncheon reservation will soon be called, so I'd best not tarry any longer...

19. Also at this time, this air carrier was flying direct service from Whitehorse (YXY) to Winnipeg (YWG). Two stops were made en route and the flight did not operate daily. Identify the airline, the aircraft type flown on the route and the two stops in the order in which they were made. Air carrier wasn't CP Air and stops were not made at Dawson Creek or Edmonton. Aircraft was a 737.

There weren't too many 737 operators in Western Canada in 1979. Outside of CP Air, I can think of only Pacific Western. As to the routing, I'm guessing Edmonton would've been one of the stops and possibly Yellowknife or Saskatoon or Calgary.

Let's roll the dice with a routing of Whitehorse - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Winnipeg aboard a 737-275.
19. Ah, good old PWA....and didn't that stand for Probably Won't Arrive?

Alas, the air carrier in question is not Pacific Western and the stops were not made in Edmonton and Saskatoon. But you have mentioned another destination where one of the stops was made. So which one is it? @:-)
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA
OK, I'll make a shot at Transair, the Winnipeg-based carrier, who had a couple of 737s. Did they keep well north, Whitehorse-Yellowknife-Saskatoon-Winnipeg ?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
OK, I'll make a shot at Transair, the Winnipeg-based carrier, who had a couple of 737s. Did they keep well north, Whitehorse-Yellowknife-Saskatoon-Winnipeg ?
19. Transair operating a Boeing 737-200 is correct! And Yellowknife was indeed the first stop although as noted above, this flight did not stop at Saskatoon. So we are still looking for the second stop.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:12 pm

Well I blew that one, didn't I ? Memo to self : Do not squint at posts on phone in office café. What about Whitehorse-Yellowknife-Churchill-Winnipeg ?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I blew that one, didn't I ? Memo to self : Do not squint at posts on phone in office café. What about Whitehorse-Yellowknife-Churchill-Winnipeg ?
19. Yep, the other stop was in lovely Churchill on the shores of Hudson Bay. Transair (TZ) 642 departed Whitehorse (YXY) every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 5:40 pm, made intermediate stops at Yellowknife (YZF) and Churchhill (YYQ) and then arrived at Winnipeg (YWG) during the wee hours at 1:32 am. Passengers in the all coach cabin were served dinner out of Whitehorse followed by a snack out of Churchhill. Besides the Boeing 737-200, I believe Transair may have also flown this service at one point with a Fokker F28 Fellowship. TZ called both the 737 and the F28 "Golden Jets".

And here's the weather forecast for a certain island.....

For those of you planning to journey to the west coast of Ireland in the near future, our National Hurricane Center is now predicting the remnants of Hurricane Ophelia, which is currently spinning in the Atlantic, will be just off the western coast of Ireland by this Monday afternoon as an extra-tropical storm with sustained maximum winds predicted to be 70 mph by that time. Best batten down the hatches in preparation and have a wee dram at the ready in case she makes landfall......

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 11, 2017 at 6:04 pm Reason: Irish WX
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:11 am

I imagine that Whitehorse-Yellowknife-Churchill does not get much in the way of local traffic, and although Winnipeg is a commercial centre for Churchill, it must generate very little for the other two.

I have a 1930s large book on British shipping, the sort that came out in 50 weekly editions over a year that you could then have bound up. One chapter is about the voyage of the first ship ever, at that time, which ran to Churchill and opened up the route for wheat exports to the UK. You don't have to come here to read it because a kind soul has put it all on the web. Seat2A, did you ever take the train to Churchill ?

http://www.shippingwondersoftheworld.com/churchill.html
Alas, the air carrier in question is not Pacific Western
Actually it sort of was, because in the mid-1970s Pacific Western had bought Transair out, though they traded under their old name for some years afterwards until fully merged in. As with other Canadian 737 operators, the northern scheduled routes were only part of their operation, a lot of their hours being spent on holiday flights from Toronto down to Florida and the Caribbean.

just off the western coast of Ireland by this Monday afternoon as an extra-tropical storm with sustained maximum winds predicted to be 70 mph by that time
Standard stuff actually, though a bit early in the year. Winter Storm Force gales at those speeds are normal on the west coast of the UK and across Ireland (which always gets hit first).

Last edited by WHBM; Oct 12, 2017 at 3:25 am
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

As always, please only answer two or three quiz items at a time. Thanks!

17. In 1976, Western Airlines ran an ad which mentioned another air carrier. The copy read:

THE GREAT DENVER PICK-ME-UP.

___ (airline)___ to Denver.

Western to the West, Alaska and Hawaii.

Fill in the blank by naming the airline in question. HINT: we are looking for a local service air carrier here

18. In 1979, two air carriers were operating stretched Super DC-8 service at this time into Port of Spain (POS). Name both airlines. HINT: one air carrier was based in North America and the other was based in Europe

The next three quiz items have a time line of 1982.

21. You've just concluded your business in Boston and have been invited to join a good friend at the Cessna aircraft plant in Wichita where he will personally take delivery of a new Citation business jet. You've found a direct flight that meets your needs which will depart BOS at 1:55 pm and arrive at ICT at 7:50 pm. Three stops will be made en route. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and the three stops in order. HINT: the first stop was Newark

22. What a nice little jet! The Citation delivery process at Wichita was both interesting and enjoyable. But now it's time to get back to work. And that means a business meeting the next morning in Dallas. You will have time for an early dinner with your friend and the Cessna folks before boarding a flight at ICT at 8:15 pm that will operate nonstop to DFW arriving at 9:15 pm. Name the airline and the aircraft type.

23. It's a beautiful fall morning in San Diego. You're on board your old sailing buddy's catamaran which is moored at a local marina near Lindbergh Field enjoying breakfast. And then the phone rings. Can you be in Indianapolis the next morning for a meeting? Well, why not?! Quick research reveals a flight departing SAN at 1:15 pm which will get you into IND at 10:35 pm. One stop will be made en route. Identify the air carrier you'll be flying with as well as the equipment and the stop. ANSWERED

24. Now it's 1984 and you are in Taipei where you've been heavily involved in project work as a consultant. It's time for a break and a friend has offered you the use of his condo near Hanauma Bay on Oahu. So you are off to Honolulu on board a direct flight that makes one stop en route departing TPE at 12:45 am and arriving at HNL at 7:15 pm. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft type you'll be flying on. The airline wasn't South Pacific Island Airways and the equipment wasn't a 707

25. You are in Omaha in 1985 and need to travel to Spokane with a departure in the late afternoon. Sounds like a connection will need to be made somewhere out west, doesn't it? But no! Here's a direct flight departing OMA at 5:25 pm that arrives at GEG at 10:00 pm with two stops being made en route. Book it! Identify the air carrier, the equipment and the two stops in order. Sunworld operating a DC9 on a routing of OMA - LAS - ___ - GEG
Rolling right along here with the above still up for grabs......

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 14, 2017 at 11:23 am Reason: answer updates & hints
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Seat2A, did you ever take the train to Churchill?
I have, back in 2005. I did a brief write up of it here.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:22 am

24. Now it's 1984 and you are in Taipei where you've been heavily involved in project work as a consultant. It's time for a break and a friend has offered you the use of his condo near Hanauma Bay on Oahu. So you are off to Honolulu on board a direct flight that makes one stop en route departing TPE at 12:45 am and arriving at HNL at 7:15 pm. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft type you'll be flying on.
Let's kick this one off. I just get the feeling it's something oddball. Try South Pacific Island Airways on a Boeing 707 operating through Guam.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
23. It's a beautiful fall morning in San Diego. You're on board your old sailing buddy's catamaran which is moored at a local marina near Lindbergh Field enjoying breakfast. And then the phone rings. Can you be in Indianapolis the next morning for a meeting? Well, why not?! Quick research reveals a flight departing SAN at 1:15 pm which will get you into IND at 10:35 pm. One stop will be made en route. Identify the air carrier you'll be flying with as well as the equipment and the stop.
well, I'm thinking that there's an unwritten clue in here ... I'll posit that we are looking for a former regional carrier or a post-deregulation startup, as the question doesn't explicitly mention that First Class is available

I don't believe America West or Frontier operated at IND (at least not in 1985), I can't think of any startups like Reno Air or PeopleExpress that would have served both IND and SAN, and I'm pretty sure that both Republic and USAir had F cabins on at least some of their mid-con flights

so my guess is that this flight was aboard an Ozark DC-9-30, stopping of course in St Louis (STL)
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I have, back in 2005. I did a brief write up of it here.
Very good. If you follow the link at the bottom of the page of the 1930s article about the port of Churchill I quoted above, it will take you to a comparable article in the 1930s series that the same publisher did about railways, which describes the very railway to Churchill that you travelled on.

My grandfather had both of these, bound up. I've got the shipping books (2 volumes), and can remember the railway one from small childhood in his house, but have no idea where it went.

Good that you got to enjoy the wildlife in Churchill. The firecrackers you describe to shoo away the polar bears there are equally used in India to do the same to elephants, which may not attack but can do a huge amount of trampling damage. And believe it or not I could do with them here, right in the middle of London. We are well used to foxes here nowadays, which live in the park and are seen most days, and unfortunately are also seen run over on the local roads several times per year, but in the last month we have been plagued in the garden by an excavator on legs, which I originally thought was going to be a big fox, but turns out to be, of all things, a badger. Yes, right here. It goes at my front garden like a Caterpillar excavator, I shovel it all back the next day, and some days later this gets repeated, same place. It comes around 2am, and I'm trying to get a photograph of it. I saw a smaller one as well when walking from the station late evening, so there seems to be a family here. It's not really what this thread is about, but if anyone knows a good garden deterrent for badgers ....
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
We are well used to foxes here nowadays, which live in the park and are seen most days, and unfortunately are also seen run over on the local roads several times per year, but in the last month we have been plagued in the garden by an excavator on legs, which I originally thought was going to be a big fox, but turns out to be, of all things, a badger. Yes, right here. It goes at my front garden like a Caterpillar excavator, I shovel it all back the next day, and some days later this gets repeated, same place. It comes around 2am, and I'm trying to get a photograph of it. I saw a smaller one as well when walking from the station late evening, so there seems to be a family here. It's not really what this thread is about, but if anyone knows a good garden deterrent for badgers ....
Robin Lane-Fox wrote a lot about badgers in his gardening column in the FT (newspaper). They are not easily discouraged and, since they are protected, it is illegal to molest them. I don't remember if he ever found an answer. There is a large statue of a particularly vicious badger outside the football stadium here. Wisconsin is the "Badger State" and "Bucky Badger" is the team mascot.

ETA: here is a picture, you wouldn't want to meet it: http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/loc...cc4c002e0.html
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's kick this one off. I just get the feeling it's something oddball. Try South Pacific Island Airways on a Boeing 707 operating through Guam.
24. Great guess! However, the air carrier wasn't SPIA and the aircraft was not a 707. Please guess again, sir!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
well, I'm thinking that there's an unwritten clue in here ... I'll posit that we are looking for a former regional carrier or a post-deregulation startup, as the question doesn't explicitly mention that First Class is available

I don't believe America West or Frontier operated at IND (at least not in 1985), I can't think of any startups like Reno Air or PeopleExpress that would have served both IND and SAN, and I'm pretty sure that both Republic and USAir had F cabins on at least some of their mid-con flights

so my guess is that this flight was aboard an Ozark DC-9-30, stopping of course in St Louis (STL)
23. Ozark Air Lines operating a DC-9-30 is correct! Here's the sched.....

OZ 588: San Diego (SAN) 1:15p - 7:00p St. Louis (STL) 8:30p - 10:35p Indianapolis (IND)
Op: Daily
Equip: D9S
Meal service: Dinner SAN-STL

This was the one and only departure per day operated by Ozark from California at this time. And I believe that San Diego was the only destination in California ever served by OZ.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.....but if anyone knows a good garden deterrent for badgers ....
I am fully prepared to send our very large cat (the one I rescued from a Texas highway awhile back when he was a wee kitten who is appropriately named Rescue) over your way. He does not have a mean bone in his body but is an absolute terror when it comes to any wild creature who has the misfortune to venture into our yard when he is on patrol or waiting in ambush.

We previously had a rather serious mole problem. No longer. I haven't seen any mice in quite awhile, either. I've also seen Rescue go after raccoons, possums and even the odd armadillo. Our resident squirrels keep a very wary eye on him (he got one awhile back). A number of birds have also met their fate, including to my absolute dismay, a hummingbird (I've since relocated the feeder).

Rescue is your man. I'll book a seat on BA for him and send him right over.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.