Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
They still operate
I think they just use light aircraft and seats on scheduled services now, not their own airliner.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by WHBM
I think they just use light aircraft and seats on scheduled services now, not their own airliner.
30 seat SAAB 340's around Australia, but most likely chartered.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
9. In 1970, two airlines were operating Boeing 707 service into Merida (MID). We recently discussed one of the carriers here on the OTAQ&D: Pan Am. Name the other airline that operated 707 service into Merida at this time and for bonus points identify the route.

Lufthansa is correct! However, this flight did not stop at New York JFK. So for bonus points, please fill in the blanks concerning this routing:

Frankfurt (FRA) - San Juan - Merida (MID) - Mexico City

14. It's 1974 and you are back in L.A. You need to travel to Amarillo but cannot depart until the evening. No problem! Here's a daily flight departing LAX at 6:00 pm that arrives at AMA at 11:25 pm. Two stops will be made and dinner will be served en route. Name the airline, the equipment and the two stops in the order in which they will be made.

Yep, sure sounds like TWA....however, it was another airline and the equipment wasn't a B727-100 (or a CV-880). On the plus side, you have correctly guessed one of the stops: Albuquerque (ABQ).

Well then, I'm thinking it would have to have been Texas International, flying a red, white and blue DC-9-10 routing LAX-ABQ-Clovis-AMA.
You are getting closer on both!

9. The Lufthansa flight did not stop in San Juan but did terminate at MEX. So we are looking for FRA - ___ - MID - MEX.

14. Texas International operating a DC9 is correct! However, the flight did not stop in Clovis so please guess again.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
11. Hmmm ... well, you can't be much more inaccurate than to go the wrong way round the world, can you ... ?

Well, falls back to Pan Am then. Now in 1970 Pan Am was in a great state of flux, starting the year with no 747s in service, and ending up with most of their initial big fleet of them. And I recall they had a 707 running SFO-LAX-Tahiti-Auckland, which could be part 2 of this. But a 707 with FOUR intermediate stops to SFO ? Go for Frankfurt-Amsterdam-London-Seattle-Portland-San Francisco.

9. I think that, like more than one European carrier, Mexico City was served via Montreal. Merida was added as a stop, I believe, for a German holiday company. So Frankfurt-Montreal-Merida-Mexico.
9. Yes indeed! Here's the westbound sched....

LH 472: Frankfurt (FRA) 13.15 - 16.15 Montreal (YUL) 17.00 - 19.30 Merida (MID) 20.15 - 21.45 Mexico City (MEX)
Op: Fridays only
Equip: 707
Service classes: F/Y
Note: No local traffic YUL-MID, MID-MEX

11. An excellent guess and I was waiting for Pan Am to be mentioned. However, the airline in question was not PA. Please guess again!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by jlemon
11. An excellent guess and I was waiting for Pan Am to be mentioned. However, the airline in question was not PA. Please guess again!
Foiled again ...

Is it LAN Chile ?

Frankfurt-Paris-Madrid-Rio-BA-Santiago, then Santiago-Easter Island-Papeete (and on to Auckland and Sydney, the only Far South Pacific service for a long time).

Last edited by WHBM; Sep 26, 2017 at 10:17 am
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
13. In 1971, this U.S. airline called one of its aircraft types the "Air Cruise". Identify this airline and the aircraft which it described as being "intimate".

As I sit here in Kalgoorlie pondering this question while awaiting boarding of my Network Aviation (dba QantasLink) Fokker 100 to Perth, it suddenly came to me - at least I think it did. I so remember the term "Air Cruise" from the many brochures I used to collect, but then those memories are somewhat fogged by my advancing years and a cuppa truly bad powdered coffee sold here at KGI for just $5.00 AUD.

Anyway, "Air Cruise"... As I recall this was how Continental referred to its 747 flights between Los Angeles and Hawaii. If the ambiance aboard the flights could be said to be intimate, I suppose it was because thanks to Bob Six's movie star wife (Audrey Meadows? Jayne Meadows?) each cabin was distinctly (or perhaps "intimately") designed and each cabin had its own name and - with one exception - its own lounge.

Now after all that - watch it go be some other airline.... crossing my fingers here...

Right, then... off to Perth!
13. Correct! Here's the ad copy:

"The intimate 747."

"Word has gotten around that you're just a number when you fly on a 747."

"Perhaps on some. Never on ours."

"The atmosphere on Continental's 747, the Air Cruise, is almost as warm and personal as a friend's home."

"Little things: The same gracious hostesses who seat you also serve your cocktails and food, bring magazines, answer your call button. Before you land, they seem like friends."

"Other intimate touches: Two Directors of Passenger Service for special requests; a lounge exclusively for Coach and Economy passengers; the most seat room in Coach and Economy."

"Why do we make ours so intimate? With us, it's a matter of pride."

"The Air Cruise flies between Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles and Hawaii."

The Proud Bird of the Pacific

CONTINENTAL 747

Ah, those were the days of the Proud Bird with the Golden Tail....and I shall no doubt poignantly recall those days when Lady K and yours truly board an AA B767-323ER about a month from now in DFW for an eight hour plus nonstop to OGG. In coach.

Here's hoping our upgrades clear......
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
Bonus quiz item: Name another destination served nonstop by UTA from Noumea with the Caravelle at this time.

I'll go with Papeete
A great guess! However, Union de Transports Aeriens was operating DC-8-62 service twice a week from Noumea to Papeete (and then on to LAX) at this time....and both flights made an intermediate stop at Nandi.

Please guess again!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Foiled again ...

Is it LAN Chile ?

Frankfurt-Paris-Madrid-Rio-Santiago, then Santiago-Easter Island-Papeete (and on to Auckland and Sydney, the only Far South Pacific service for a long time).
As Bilbo Baggins (a most inestimable Hobbit as you may recall) said once upon a time: "Three times pays for all!"

11. LAN-Chile is correct! Here are the scheds.....

LA 171: Frankfurt Rhein-Main (FRA) 19:15 - 20:20 Paris Orly (ORY) 21:10 - 22:55 Madrid Barajas (MAD) 23:50 - 06:10 Rio de Janeiro Galeao (GIG) 07:00 - 09:55 Buenos Aires Ezeiza (EZE) 10:40 - 12:30 Santiago Pudahuel (SCL)
Op: Wednesdays only

Connecting to.....

LA 131: Santiago Pudahuel (SCL) 14:00 - 16:00 Easter Island Mataveri (IPC) 17:30 - 19:00 Papeete Faa'a (PPT)
Op: Thursdays only

At this time, the LAN-Chile service terminated at Papeete.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 26, 2017 at 3:17 pm Reason: additional info
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

1. It's 1960 and you are in Los Angeles. You've been invited by good friends to take part in a sailing excursion in French Polynesia. Their sailboat is moored in Papeete, Tahiti which appears to be not the easiest place to get to. There is a connecting service involving two airlines that operates once a week. Your first flight will make one intermediate stop before arriving at a destination where you'll make your connection the next day. Your second flight is a nonstop service to Papeete. Name both airlines, the aircraft types and the location of the stop made by the first flight.

5. It's 1968 and you are in San Francisco. You've just missed a nonstop flight to Las Vegas but have found another flight departing SFO at 7:00 pm that will get you into LAS at 9:28 pm. Two stops will be made en route. Name the air carrier you'll be flying with as well as the aircraft type and the two stops in the order in which they will be made.

6. This U.S. based air carrier placed deposits in 1968 for a new aircraft with the announcement it would acquire six of the type. The airline in question had big plans for these new airplanes. However, it never took delivery of any of them and there was very good reason for this. Name the airline and the aircraft. Aircraft was the Boeing 2707 SST. Still looking for the airline which wasn't AA.

8. Now it's 1969 and you are Burbank. You are about to travel to Santa Barbara for a visit with your old sailing buddy. Of course, you could drive or take the train but are prepared instead to drive to LAX and take a United 727 on the short hop up to SBA. Then your old friend tells you about a nonstop service to SBA from BUR. It's operated with a jet and he says the flying time is only 19 minutes. You book a seat and off you go. Identify the airline and the jet aircraft type.

10. Name the only airline that was operating scheduled passenger service from Houston Hobby Airport (HOU) in February of 1970.

14. It's 1974 and you are back in L.A. You need to travel to Amarillo but cannot depart until the evening. No problem! Here's a daily flight departing LAX at 6:00 pm that arrives at AMA at 11:25 pm. Two stops will be made and dinner will be served en route. Name the airline, the equipment and the two stops in the order in which they will be made. Texas International operating a DC9 LAX-ABQ-___-AMA

15. Now you are in Bermuda and it's still 1974. You need to travel to New York City. There are several nonstop flights you could take.....but where's the fun in that? So, instead, you book first class on a direct flight which makes two intermediate stops. You'll depart from Bermuda at 4:20 pm and arrive in New York at 8:06 pm. Dinner will be served en route. Identify the airline, the aircraft type, the two stops in the order in which they will be made and the airport you will arrive at in New York. This flight arrived into JFK. The airline was not EA, the equipment wasn't a 720, 727 or L-1011 and the flight did not stop at Baltimore or Philadelphia.
The above quiz items remain in play....

Plus, bonus quiz items can be found in posts # 11543 and # 11544....

And I do not believe anyone has answered a quiz item posted by Herb687 which can be found in post # 11497.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
Question: It's 1987. What US airline operated a flight that departed from the USA, stopped outside the USA, and then landed back in a US territory? Name the airline, routing, and equipment.
Was it Northwest, a 747 operating Minneapolis (maybe) - Tokyo - Guam ?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Was it Northwest, a 747 operating Minneapolis (maybe) - Tokyo - Guam ?
tap-in: iirc, NW7 actually operated MSP-SEA-NRT and onwards
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
tap-in: iirc, NW7 actually operated MSP-SEA-NRT and onwards
Ah yes. Well, it was only a guess. And the original Northwest 747-100s probably didn't have the range to get to Tokyo from Minneapolis.

I recall in what must have been an afternoon (because I had left Vancouver BC in the morning) in September 1974, heading south on I-5 south of Sea-Tac. Suddenly, alongside to the right, was a Northwest 747 doing a southerly departure. I suppose the most notable thing about it was its lack of climb, it just seemed to be thrumming along at about 1,000 feet, presumably getting up a bit of speed.

The old 747-100s were known for this. I don't think one ever came to grief because of it, but it all looked a bit marginal. BOAC/British Airways long refused to put the 747 on London to Los Angeles until the much more powerful Rolls-Royce 747-200s came along, believing it was beyond range, but both Pan Am and TWA did so with the old 747-100s. They were afternoon departures, and on warm summer days were a bit of a concern to ATC, especially if they were on easterlies over London, and probably to the flight engineer as well in case of a failure on those temperamental early JT9Ds at the crucial moment. Pan Am flights were of course called as "Clipper", and one even-lower-than-normal departure was referred to as a "Hedge Clipper". A comparable easterly TWA takeoff was described as "Departing via the Piccadilly Line". All a few minutes later of course; at the time it was professional silence, and all binoculars focused on it.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah yes. Well, it was only a guess. And the original Northwest 747-100s probably didn't have the range to get to Tokyo from Minneapolis....
Well, I think you are actually on the right track here concerning Northwest. And wasn't NW also operating the B747-200 by 1987? So perhaps the routing was SFO-NRT-GUM. There's my guess....
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
It's 1987. What US airline operated a flight that departed from the USA, stopped outside the USA, and then landed back in a US territory? Name the airline, routing, and equipment.

Back in 1979 I flew on the same flight aboard Allegheny that routed CLE-YYZ-BOS.

And in 1983, Western used to fly ANC-YYC-DEN

However, as the question specifically mentions a "U.S. territory", how about Hawaiian Airlines flying Honolulu - Rarotonga - Pago Pago using a DC-8-62...
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
14. It's 1974 and you are back in L.A. You need to travel to Amarillo but cannot depart until the evening. No problem! Here's a daily flight departing LAX at 6:00 pm that arrives at AMA at 11:25 pm. Two stops will be made and dinner will be served en route. Name the airline, the equipment and the two stops in the order in which they will be made.

How about Texas International operating a DC9 LAX-ABQ-Roswell-AMA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.