Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
12. In 1972, to commemorate America’s upcoming bi-centennial, United unveiled an exciting new livery and a new brand of service for its long haul domestic routes. Describe the new livery and identify the name of the new service brand.

UA kept the blue stripe over the windows, and the blue diagonal above "United" on the tail; they increased the width of the red stripe separating the polished aluminum lower fuselage from the white upper fuselage, and shortened the length of the red diagonal under "United" on the tail to accommodate four blue stars (exception: on the 727s the red diagonal remained intact, and the four stars went on the #2 inlet) ... above the overwing windows the aircraft model (e.g., 747, DC-8, 727) appeared in blue, followed by the words "Friend Ship"

Lacking a better idea, I'll guess that the service was called "Four Star"

Jeez, J, whyn't ya get all detailed now, y'know? Close enough. And yes, the new service brand was indeed "Four Star Service".

Well done!

16. If you were flying aboard an aircraft marketed as “El InterAmericano Jet”, what airline and airplane would you be flying upon?

Scraping up long-ago deposits in the memory bank, I'm coming up with a Panagra DC-8

You're on a roll! Panagra DC-8 it is!

28. Over time, the French built Caravelle became a popular airliner in South America, particularly in the northern countries where many airlines operated second hand models. In the spring of 1966 however, only one airline not based in Argentina, Brazil or Chile was operating the Caravelle. Identify that airline and its primary base of operations.

Without searching up thread (because I think we mentioned this a few years ago, possibly as a wrong guess on some other "stump-'em-all" question ) I'll speculate Avensa, out of Caracas Venezuela

You Da Man! Avensa is correct! In later years the Caravelle became downright ubiquitous in Colombia and Ecuador.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
31. In 1966, passengers flying nonstop between Paris and Beirut had a choice of three airlines. Amongst them were the usual suspects – Air France and Middle East Airlines. Identify the other airline serving this route in a non-5th Freedom capacity, as well as the aircraft it operated.

I will guess Lebanese International Airways with a Convair 990.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
You've correctly identified the images, but you're a bit off on the colors. Gold was involved in all of the four liveries but each image also had its own distinct color. For example, as we all know, the eskimo was blue and gold.

Your mission, Teddy, should you decide to accept it, is to identify the three other colors associated with the remaining three images. Good luck, Teddy.
OK, I will admit I went back and found some pictures online at airlinersgallery.smugmug.com copyrighted by Bruce Drum, so I cannot post them here.

It looks like the Gold Miner is in Red with a Gold and Red Cheatline. The Russian Spires are in a Purple color with a Purple and Gold Cheatline, and the Totem Pole is in Green with a Green and Gold Cheatline.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
4. Prior to United’s move to its current terminal at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport, on what two concourses were its gates located at ORD?
I believe UA was in E/F before the mid 1980s move to its new "Terminal for Tomorrow" Terminal 1.

11. What was the name of United’s transcon service brand back in 1985-87?
Ocean-to-Ocean Service

12. In 1972, to commemorate America’s upcoming bi-centennial, United unveiled an exciting new livery and a new brand of service for its long haul domestic routes. Describe the new livery and identify the name of the new service brand.
Appears already answered but note that many within UA called that the Captain United scheme.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
[B]

23. As of 1960, this large European airline provided international passenger helicopter service from its home base to Rotterdam, Antwerp, Lille, Eindhoven, Maastricht, Liege, Paris, Dortmund, Duisburg, Cologne and Bonn. Identify the airline and the primary helicopter utilized in these services.

24. It’s the summer of 1962, and you need to fly from Honolulu to Tahiti. Lucky you! You quickly place a call to Pan American World Airways to book a flight. What’s this?! Pan Am doesn’t serve Tahiti? Well I’ll be darned. The Pan Am agent kindly refers you to two other airlines that offer both First and Economy Class service between HNL and PPT. Identify the two airlines and the unique aircraft that each operates on its flights to Papeete.
23. Ah, the wonderful world of helicopters......

This sure sounds like Sabena (SN) which had an interesting rotary wing route network operated from Brussels National (BRU) at one point. Helicopter type would have been the Sikorsky S-58.

It's also interesting to note that SN was operating two nonstop routes between Brussels and Paris at this time. One could fly in either a Caravelle or Convair 440 Metropolitan between BRU and Paris Le Bourget (LBG). I believe the other Paris destination was the Issy-les-Moulineaux heliport (JDP) that Sabena called Issy-Paris Place Balard which was served with the Sikorsky S-58.

24. For the first airline, let's go with Transports Aeriens Intercontinentaux (TAI) operating a Douglas DC-8. TAI was a forerunner of UTA.

I believe the other air carrier was U.S. based and was quite obscure: South Pacific Air Lines which I think was based in San Francisco but did not operate scheduled services from the Bay Area. Aircraft would have been the Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 2, 2017 at 10:30 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by teddybear99
31. In 1966, passengers flying nonstop between Paris and Beirut had a choice of three airlines. Amongst them were the usual suspects – Air France and Middle East Airlines. Identify the other airline serving this route in a non-5th Freedom capacity, as well as the aircraft it operated.

I will guess Lebanese International Airways with a Convair 990.

Correct! I apologize that I can't embellish this response with schedules but I'm away from home for the next week and don't have access to them.

2. In the early 1970s, Alaska Airlines introduced a new livery comprised of four Alaskan images on the tails of its 727 aircraft. Identify each of the four images and their respective colors.

OK, I will admit I went back and found some pictures online at airlinersgallery.smugmug.com copyrighted by Bruce Drum, so I cannot post them here.

It looks like the Gold Miner is in Red with a Gold and Red Cheatline. The Russian Spires are in a Purple color with a Purple and Gold Cheatline, and the Totem Pole is in Green with a Green and Gold Cheatline.

Correct.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
4. Prior to United’s move to its current terminal at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport, on what two concourses were its gates located at ORD?

I believe UA was in E/F before the mid 1980s move to its new "Terminal for Tomorrow" Terminal 1.

Good call, Herb, and the correct call as well! I was a regular at the Red Carpet Club at the Y between those concourses throughout the mid-eighties. The concourses don't appear to have changed all that much today - 30 years later.

11. What was the name of United’s transcon service brand back in 1985-87?

Ocean-to-Ocean Service

That's right. The menus bore a stylish map on the cover and the variety as well as quality was truly stunning compared to what passes as First Class service today. I particularly enjoyed the deli service on United's morning transcon flights. It was rolled out on the trolley and included a bounty of breads, meats, cheeses and assorted accouterments. This was in addition to a full breakfast service.

Appears already answered but note that many within UA called that the Captain United scheme.

By the way, welcome to the quiz and thanks for your participation, Herb687. ^^
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
23. As of 1960, this large European airline provided international passenger helicopter service from its home base to Rotterdam, Antwerp, Lille, Eindhoven, Maastricht, Liege, Paris, Dortmund, Duisburg, Cologne and Bonn. Identify the airline and the primary helicopter utilized in these services.

Ah, the wonderful world of helicopters...... This sure sounds like Sabena (SN) which had an interesting rotary wing route network operated from Brussels National (BRU) at one point. Helicopter type would have been the Sikorsky S-58.

It's also interesting to note that SN was operating two nonstop routes between Brussels and Paris at this time. One could fly in either a Caravelle or Convair 440 Metropolitan between BRU and Paris Le Bourget (LBG). I believe the other Paris destination was the Issy-les-Moulineaux heliport (JDP) that Sabena called Issy-Paris Place Balard which was served with the Sikorsky S-58.

I should have known you'd have the answer for this one, JL! And as an added bonus, not just the answer but a good bit of history as well. First rate!

24. It’s the summer of 1962, and you need to fly from Honolulu to Tahiti. Lucky you! You quickly place a call to Pan American World Airways to book a flight. What’s this?! Pan Am doesn’t serve Tahiti? Well I’ll be darned. The Pan Am agent kindly refers you to two other airlines that offer both First and Economy Class service between HNL and PPT. Identify the two airlines and the unique aircraft that each operates on its flights to Papeete.

For the first airline, let's go with Transports Aeriens Intercontinentaux (TAI) operating a Douglas DC-8. TAI was a forerunner of UTA.

I believe the other air carrier was U.S. based and was quite obscure: South Pacific Air Lines which I think was based in San Francisco but did not operate scheduled services from the Bay Area. Aircraft would have been the Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation.

Dang! I thought this one might prove a bit more difficult but no - you are 100% spot on towards both the airlines and their respective equipment. ^^
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

REMAINING QUIZ QUESTIONS

6. What name did Chicago and Southern (C&S) Air Lines use to recognize its frequent flyers starting in 1940?

7. What was 'Cuauhtli' and what airline was it associated with?
A N S W E R E D

17. In 1962, this airline’s ads billed it as “The World’s Largest Airline”

20. Identify two airlines that flew the Boeing 707, the Douglas DC-8 and the Convair 990
A N S W E R E D

BONUS QUESTION 201: Name another airline that operated each of the above aircraft.

BONUS QUESTION 202: Identify the only airline to OWN and operate both the 880 and 990.
A N S W E R E D

21. It’s 1962. Identify the three airlines that served Bermuda with Bristol Britannias.

25. An interesting bit of research has seemingly revealed that although one airline is widely considered to be the launch customer for Boeing’s 747SP, the world’s first revenue flight with the SP was actually flown by a different airline, one day earlier than that of the launch customer. This one might be good for a bit of discussion or even a definitive bit of clarity from our man in London. So then let’s start by identifying the launch customer for Boeing’s 747SP as well as the other airline that claims to have operated the world’s first revenue flight with the SP. While we’re at it, identify the routes flown by each airline on its inaugural flights.

26. It’s a sweltering afternoon in 1966 and you’re savoring your second gin and tonic in Freetown, Sierra Leone when a cable arrives from company headquarters requesting your assistance with a “small problem” up in London. Time is of the essence, Sir! Please get here as soon as possible! As luck would have it, the single weekly nonstop flight between FNA and LGW departs tomorrow at 1000. As luck would further have it, the flight is sold out in Economy Class but wait! There’s a single First Class seat available. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying aboard.

27. Despite its growing popularity, in 1966 only one airline operated Boeing’s 727 into Bombay, India - much less anywhere else in India. Identify the airline and the one stop route it flew from Bombay to its home base.
A N S W E R E D

29. In 1967, what was the world's longest nonstop scheduled flight? Identify the route as well as the airline and aircraft that operated it.
A N S W E R E D

30. In 1966, most airlines configured their 4 engine jets with both First and Economy Class interiors. In the case of the Convair 880, two airlines operated versions in an all-economy class configuration. Identify both of those airlines.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 4, 2017 at 7:56 pm
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
27. Despite its growing popularity, in 1966 only one airline operated Boeing’s 727 into Bombay, India - much less anywhere else in India. Identify the airline and the one stop route it flew from Bombay to its home base.
Wild guess. Iran Air Teheran - Karachi - Mumbai/Bombay?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

20. Identify two airlines that flew the Boeing 707, the Douglas DC-8 and the Convair 990.
20. Let's try Air France and Varig.

In the case of AF, I think they briefly operated one CV-990 back in the late 1960's (although I've no idea what routes were served with the aircraft) and I believe they also leased a DC-8-61 at one point from Nationair.

And with that, it's time to jump on board an airplane and go have some fun. We'll fly out of MSY tomorrow afternoon to MIA and then connect to GCM. So if anyone just happens to be hanging out in the vicinity of Rum Point on the north coast of Grand Cayman next week, come on by and we'll have a cocktail while admiring the Caribbean Sea from our verandah.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 3, 2017 at 9:26 am
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:24 am

6. What name did Chicago and Southern (C&S) Air Lines use to recognize its frequent flyers starting in 1940?
I am going to guess "Dixieliners"

29. In 1967, what was the world's longest nonstop scheduled flight? Identify the route as well as the airline and aircraft that operated it.
Aerolinas Argentinas flying Madrid to Buenos Aires on a B707-320
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach

Wild guess. Iran Air Teheran - Karachi - Mumbai/Bombay?

Correct guess! It would be a few more years before more 727s would land at Indian airports
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
20. Identify two airlines that flew the Boeing 707, the Douglas DC-8 and the Convair 990.

Let's try Air France and Varig. In the case of AF, I think they briefly operated one CV-990 back in the late 1960's (although I've no idea what routes were served with the aircraft) and I believe they also leased a DC-8-61 at one point from Nationair.

Correct! I actually have a postcard of each aircraft, both of which AF obtained by lease. The DC-8 was a standard 8 tho - not a stretch. I believe VARIG owned all of its aircraft, having inherited the 990s through its merger with REAL Aerovias.
BONUS QUESTION 201: Name another airline that operated each f the above aircraft.

BONUS QUESTION 202: Identify the only airline to OWN and operate both the 880 and 990.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 3, 2017 at 10:28 am
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teddybear99

I am going to guess "Dixieliners"

Sounds good to me too, Teddy, but hey - what do I know?! It's actually a different name. Please guess again!

Aerolinas Argentinas flying Madrid to Buenos Aires on a B707-320

Correct-o! The route measures out at 6252 miles, quite a stretch back in those days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.