Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2016, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
given that clarification, I would venture to guess that they were running from population centers in cold and damp European countries (thinking Scandinavia, Germany, Benelux, et al), as vacation (or, in UK parlance, since that would also be on the list, "holiday") charters
Old Nov 10, 2016, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
given that clarification, I would venture to guess that they were running from population centers in cold and damp European countries (thinking Scandinavia, Germany, Benelux, et al), as vacation (or, in UK parlance, since that would also be on the list, "holiday") charters
So the label on the model is incorrect? I don't think I've ever seen any Convair jets in my life (though have flown on my share of 707s and DC-8s to a lesser extent).

Had to read up on Modern Air and it would appear the flights came in from a jurisdiction which was under U.S. control (or technically, occupation) until late in the last century. PA operated 737s from there (an acquaintance of mine had a father who was a pilot on such flights).
Old Nov 10, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
So the label on the model is incorrect? I don't think I've ever seen any Convair jets in my life (though have flown on my share of 707s and DC-8s to a lesser extent).
the DC-8-33 in SAS livery is the second picture in WHBM's post

Convair built 65 880s and 37 990s, but they fell victim to airline economics issues that were essentially precursors to those that have led to the diminishing numbers of 747s in long-haul passenger service ... the narrow fuselage that made them sleek also dictated 3-2 coach seating (therefore fewer available seat-miles); the GE engines were thirstier than the Pratt & Whitney powerplants on competitor jets (707/DC-8) even though they allowed a somewhat higher cruise speed ... most were gone from revenue service by the late 1970s
Old Nov 10, 2016, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
OK, let's kick this one off.

1. These two airlines – one British and one American – shared the same name as well as liveries that employed two very similar colors.

"Now then. Two airlines with shared names and similar liveries would be .... Continental."

Here's a picture of them. White top, silver lower quarters, couple of thin stripes

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=co..._zQ-AkBZL6M%3A

and I just happen to have found a picture of a US airline of the same era with the same name... "

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=co...BoQsAp4TBSM%3A

Very good, WHBM! ^ ^ And of course it should come as no surprise to anyone that prior to today I'd never heard of the UK's "Continental Airlines". We're off to a good start, and who knows? Maybe there are three or four airlines that fit the description in this question.

For sure there is still at least one more pair still out there - and - they bear similar liveries employing two prime colors though one is offset by a grey underside.

Any further guesses?

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Also curious as to your thoughts on my response to your question 14

14. Which US major airline was acquired with money made from making washing machines?

Bud Maytag was involved with both Frontier and National Airlines, but only National could be considered major.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 11, 2016 at 9:44 am
Old Nov 10, 2016, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
1. These two airlines – one British and one American – shared the same name as well as liveries that employed two very similar colors.
Continental identified. Looking for at least one (or more) still out there...

3. In 1962 this airline became the first independent British airline to operate pure jet airliner. Identify both the airline and the airliner.

6. What was the first British airline to operate the 787?

7. If you were flying aboard a 757 named “John Lennon”, which airline would you be flying upon?

10. If you were flying aboard a 767 named “City of London”, which airline would you be flying upon?

11. What is the first French airline to operate Boeing’s 787?
A N S W E R E D

12. What will be the first French airline to operate the Airbus A350?

Following questions are per WHBM

13. Which airline logo was devised on a paper napkin ?

14. Which US major airline was acquired with money made from making washing machines ?
A N S W E R E D

15. Which Dash 7 landing place is now covered in high rise buildings ?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 11, 2016 at 3:22 pm
Old Nov 10, 2016, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Continental identified. Looking for at least one (or more) still out there...
Laker
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond

I think Air France has one on order, otherwise I don't think there are any 787's in service for a French airline.

BTW, keep up the good rehab progress S2A -- we're glad you're on the mend.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 9:11 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

I feel like I have to be wrong since the answer came so easily to me, but I believe it was Thomas Cook Airlines who got their 787s ahead of BA.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog

Laker

The original British based Laker Airways associated with the SkyTrain flights between the US and UK operated from the 70s to the early 80s. I think it operated charter flights out of the UK before that.

The second version operated 727-200 service between the Bahamas and Florida through the 90s and possibly into the early 2000s. From what I understand (perhaps WHBM will be kind enough to clarify on this point) it was Bahamas based and as such couldn't be counted as a US airline.

The third version however may well have been US based. Again, hopefully WHBM will check in on this point. I remember seeing Laker's DC10s in Ft. Lauderdale back in the late 90s. They operated flights to Gatwick and possibly one or two other UK destinations. That version only lasted a couple of years as I recall. If it was US based, you've made an excellent call, moondog!

And we're still looking for at least one more pair of airlines...
Old Nov 11, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miniliq

I think Air France has one on order, otherwise I don't think there are any 787's in service for a French airline.

BTW, keep up the good rehab progress S2A -- we're glad you're on the mend.

Thanks for the kind words, mini, as well as the OAG you mailed to Alaska recently.

As to the question, I may have erred a bit. I'll let you and others be the judge on this point...

The airline in question is described as a French airline but it's based at an overseas department or region of France. Does that make it French? In any event, it currently operates the 787 from its home base to Paris and one or two other regional destinations. 787 service commenced in June 2016.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin

I feel like I have to be wrong since the answer came so easily to me, but I believe it was Thomas Cook Airlines who got their 787s ahead of BA.

The airline we're looking for did receive its 787s before BA, LRT, but it is not Thomas Cook Airlines which so far as I know operates the 757-300 and 767-300 but no other Boeing built aircraft.

Please, guess again!
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: BA
From what I understand (perhaps WHBM will be kind enough to clarify on this point) it was Bahamas based and as such couldn't be counted as a US airline.
It is indeed an obscure point, but as I understand it the 2nd Laker incarnation with the 727s was called Laker Airways (Bahamas), and the aircraft base was Nassau, but it was actually a USA-registered company with an FAA licence and the aircraft were US-registered. Fred Laker had a minority shareholding, it was mostly owned by a guy from Texas. I bet most or all of the heavy maintenance was done in Miami. The livery was a simplistic adaptation, mostly bare metal.

The 3rd incarnation, which ran alongside it for a while, had DC-10s operating from Florida to the UK along with other charters, and this was a wholly US operation and the livery was pretty much identical to the original UK one. It was quite uncanny seeing it back at Gatwick.
(UK/US airlines with same name and similar liveries) And we're still looking for at least one more pair of airlines...
Couple more to go Can I offer :

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vi...xEjSuqlVKrM%3A

and

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vi...Acu53yZNgxM%3A

14. Which US major airline was acquired with money made from making washing machines?

Bud Maytag was involved with both Frontier and National Airlines, but only National could be considered major.
Correct. Bud Maytag didn't like the thought of following his family into washing machines, and preferred running airlines. Sensible fellow ! So he did indeed get ownership of Frontier, and later moved up to the big league with National. It would be interesting to know which was the better investment.

Modern Air and it would appear the flights came in from a jurisdiction which was under U.S. control (or technically, occupation) until late in the last century. PA operated 737s from there
Now you all know that I can't resist a Cv990 discussion and I have to report that the old Spantax one at Palma was seen again this year on departure, alas looking even more weather-stained than last year, but otherwise complete. I wonder why nobody ever gives it a wash.

Modern did indeed have their principal Cv990 base in West Berlin, from where they operated holiday flights to Palma and many other points, and it was this operation that led to multiple aircraft of theirs being at Palma. I understand they had about 3 or 4 aircraft working out of Berlin until 1975. They lost the contract, and another US-based carrier called Aeroamerica replaced them, with Boeing 720s. Modern seemed to be based in Miami, and Aeroamerica in Seattle, but Berlin was the principal point for both. It seems that many of the ground staff and flight attendants in Berlin just transferred over. Pilots were required to be US citizens under the Berlin access agreement. The US military were actually quite pleased to have a capable US carrier based right there in Germany, and also fed just enough military charter work, often just within Europe, to these carriers to keep them interested.

Aeroamerica in turn failed to agree terms in 1979 and got replaced by another US carrier, a 707 startup from Oregon called Air Berlin, with the Berlin-based staff transferring over again. Sound familiar ? Yes, it was the origin of the current operator of the same name, again US-owned until the Berlin Wall went in 1990 and German carriers were allowed into Berlin. But it was quite a US show from Berlin at Mediterranean points until then. Pan Am also did a lot of weekend holiday flights down there as well when their shuttles to West Germany were reduced, I recall a couple of their 737s at Palma on a Saturday in the mid 1980s.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The airline in question is described as a French airline but it's based at an overseas department or region of France. Does that make it French? In any event, it currently operates the 787 from its home base to Paris and one or two other regional destinations. 787 service commenced in June 2016.
I too thought it might be AF but given the clues, I know it wasn't a French Pacific airline (pond hoppers) and certainly not St Pierre and Miquelon (are there even any big jet-capable runways there?), so decided it must be an Indian Ocean-based carrier so Air Austral (UU).
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: BA
The airline in question is described as a French airline but it's based at an overseas department or region of France. Does that make it French?
These French overseas areas are wholly classified as part of mainstream France, not a colony, territory, or whatever, and the laws from Paris apply as much there as elsewhere. Different approach to other European countries.

Algeria was the same until its 1962 independence, it wasn't a colony but was mainstream France.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Now you all know that I can't resist a Cv990 discussion
Since you are a Convair aficionado, would you know where CV880s and CV990s may have operated in SE Asia ('60s-70's)? It appears CX, JL and GA had them in their fleets but I never knew of CX and JL 4-engine narrow-body birds being other than 707s and DC-8s in that era. I thought I might have flown a CX one HKG-BKK in the mid '70s but it wasn't that narrow so it was either a leased 707 (it didn't have the typical CX interior of that era) or perhaps a 720? Don't remember GA's that much (first GA bird I flew in was a DC-10 in the late '70s). Guess there weren't that many Convair jets ever so the chance of seeing one was difficult outside their home bases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.