Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by cs57
Greetings, MINILIQ!
Yellowbird----Northeast
Correct sir -- I'll wait a day or two before giving the answers to the others.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
Thanks to miniliq for the link to the excellent history of Greater Southwest International Airport. The aerial views of GSW are especially interesting as one can see just how close this old airfield was located to DFW, which was not yet in existence when Greater Southwest was closed.

Here are some examples of air service to GSW during the 60's by airline and aircraft....

American - B707:
JFK-ORD-GSW-ELP-LAX
LAX-ELP-GSW-OKC-TUL

American - B727:
JFK-ORD-GSW-ELP-LAX

American - L-188 "Electra II":
LGA-CAK-SDF-DAL-GSW

Braniff International - L-188 "Electra II":
DAL-GSW-HOU

Central - Convair 600:
GSW-DAL-FSM-FYV-JLN-MKC

Continental - Vickers Viscount:
DAL-GSW-ABI-LBB-CVN-SAF-ABQ
DAL-GSW-LBB-ABQ
DAL-GSW-MAF

Delta - Convair 440:
GSW-DAL

Delta - Convair 880:
MSY-GSW-SAN-LAX (this flight featured "Royal JET Service Deluxe First Class and Day Supercoach")
LAX-GSW-MSY

Delta - DC-6:
ATL-BHM-SHV-DAL-GSW (this flight featured "Flying Scot Night Coach")

Eastern - L-188 Electra:
GSW-DAL-MSY

Trans-Texas Airways (TTa) also flew Convair 240 and DC-3 service to various Texas cities from GSW......

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 28, 2012 at 2:39 pm Reason: City code correction
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:15 pm
jyh

I remember and then I forget

I definitely recall flying Braniff Convair 340's from Tulsa to Houston via DAL, GSW and Waco in 1959.

I also recall flying AA 707 from LAX to Tulsa via GSW and OKC.

Gosh what wonderful times. You could get off, stretch your legs, go inside the terminal and exchange pleasantries with everyone.

I am so happy I had the opportunity as a young 20 something. Today I feel like I am on a Greyhound bus when I fly or worse.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
The weekend is upon us once again......

And so, let us return to The Quiz!

Of course, all questions concern scheduled passenger airline operations......

1) What major U.S. airline operated Douglas DC-7 Combi service flying both passengers and freight on the main deck of the aircraft domestically?

2) What airline operated the Vickers Viscount turboprop between Huntsville (HSV) and Memphis (MEM)?

2) Name the jet and turboprop aircraft operated by the original Overseas National Airways (ONA).

3) What airline operated jet service into Muscle Shoals, AL (MSL) and what type of aircraft was flown?

4) What major airline operated the DC-6 into Yakima, WA (YKM)?

5) What Canadian airline operated jet equipment between Windsor (YOG) and Hamilton (YHM) in Ontario province and what type of aircraft was operated?

6) What airline proudly proclaimed on the cover of their timetable "First DC-9 Jet Service in the West!".

7) What airline proudly proclaimed on the cover of their timetable "New Boeing 720 Jets: New York-Atlanta-New Orleans!".

8) What airline served Columbus, MS (GTR) with jet equipment in the mid 70's and what was the aircraft type?

9) What airline billed itself as "Route of the Aristocrats"?

10) Name the largest turboprop and the largest jet equipment ever to serve Santa Fe, NM (SAF) and the airlines that operated these respective aircraft.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 5:08 am

Programs: All of them!
2) Overseas National Airways (version 1) Jet aircraft--DC8, DC9, DC10
turboprop--DC6 and Lockheed Electra
9) Route of the Aristocrats--Southern Airways
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
3) Muscle Shoals (MSL) Service -- Southern, DC9's from ATL

4) Yakima (YKM) -- Northwest

5) Between YOG and YHM -- Nordair (ND) -- 737s
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:34 am

Seems like very little interest in my old-timer questions, but I'll give the answers anyway:

Minis became very popular on domestic airlines in the mid-50s, and some airlines had special pre-mixed cocktails created for them. My quiz questions:
Which US airlines were the following cocktails prepared for:
1. Go-Getter
2. Yellowbird
3. Roadrunner
4. Something Else
5. Panambrosia (too easy -- no credit for the answer)
1. Go-Getter -- Ozark
2. Yellowbird -- Northeast -- cs57 wins with a correct answer
3. Roadrunner -- Frontier
4. Something Else -- Eastern
5. Panambrosia -- Pan Am of course

But let me try a companion question -- in first class, along with your cocktails and food, what product did the airlines give away that would be looked on as politically incorrect (perhaps even contrary to regulations) today?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2) Overseas National Airways (version 1) Jet aircraft--DC8, DC9, DC10
turboprop--DC6 and Lockheed Electra
9) Route of the Aristocrats--Southern Airways
Correct on both counts, sir!

ONA was an interesting airline that was based at JFK. They operated a number of different DC-8 models which included the following types:

DC-8-21
DC-8-31
DC-8-33
DC-8-33F
DC-8-52
DC-8-55
DC-8-61
DC-8-61CF (convertible pax/freight)
DC-8-63CF ( " " " )

ONA also operated the DC-9-30. One particular aircraft was a DC-9-33CF, registration N935F, which had the name "Caribbean Queen". On May 2, 1970, this D9S was operating a scheduled passenger flight on behalf of ALM (as ALM flight 980) from JFK to St. Maarten (SXM). The weather was not good that afternoon at SXM with the airfield reporting conditions below minimums at times. The flight crew made several attempts to land but were unsuccessful. At that point, the Captain made a decision to divert to St. Thomas. However, they never made it to STT as the DC-9 ran out of fuel and had to ditch in the ocean about 30 miles from St. Croix. The accident resulted in 23 fatalities with 40 survivors. The aircraft sank and is still at the bottom of the Caribbean.

BTW, my fiancee and I will fly into SXM at the end of May in the front cabin of an AA 738 from MIA in order to go sailing with an old friend who just happens to be an AA B777-200 Captain. We are looking forward to this trip as we have sailed with him and his ladyfriend before in the Caribbean from SXM and also down in French Polynesia. There is also a really great beach bar right off the end of the runway at SXM that affords excellent views of landing jetliners (including 744s and A340s) which are about a hundred feet or so above the beach just prior to touchdown. It's called the Sunset Beach Bar and I highly recommend a visit if you are ever down that way. We're talkin' good food, live rock n' roll, great drinks and a steady parade of landing jetliners, turboprops and other aircraft here!

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 31, 2012 at 3:40 pm Reason: Correction concerning specific ONA D9S model
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3) Muscle Shoals (MSL) Service -- Southern, DC9's from ATL

4) Yakima (YKM) -- Northwest

5) Between YOG and YHM -- Nordair (ND) -- 737s
Correct on all three counts, sir!

3) SO operated both the DC-9 series 10 and the DC-9 series 30 into Muscle Shoals in the mid 70's. Routing for both flights was ATL-HSV-MSL. SO also operated a daily Martin 404 flight from MSL to MEM at this time.

4) The NW DC-6 service into YKM was part of a milk run flight from SEA. And when NW transitioned from the DC-6 to the Lockheed L-188 "Electra", service to YKM was discontinued.

5) The Nordair B737-200 flights between Windsor (YOG) and Hamilton (YHM) also continued on to or originated from Montreal (YUL). Also during this same time, Air Canada operated DC-9-10s and DC-9-30s between Windsor and Toronto (YYZ) and also flew a daily D9S nonstop between Windsor and Winnipeg (YWG).
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems like very little interest in my old-timer questions, but I'll give the answers anyway:

1. Go-Getter -- Ozark
2. Yellowbird -- Northeast -- cs57 wins with a correct answer
3. Roadrunner -- Frontier
4. Something Else -- Eastern
5. Panambrosia -- Pan Am of course

But let me try a companion question -- in first class, along with your cocktails and food, what product did the airlines give away that would be looked on as politically incorrect (perhaps even contrary to regulations) today?
Cigarettes?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by jlemon
Cigarettes?
Correct -- they were a mini-pack of four, as I recall.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:25 am

8) Service to GTR (Columbus, MS) -- same as number 3 -- Southern, DC9 -- don't know what version.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: All of them!
7) I"m thinking it was Eastern (720 service NYC/ATL/MSY).

Last edited by cs57; Mar 31, 2012 at 12:58 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 31, 2012, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8) Service to GTR (Columbus, MS) -- same as number 3 -- Southern, DC9 -- don't know what version.
Correct again! In the mid 70's, SO operated the DC-9 series 10 twice a day from Atlanta with ATL-TCL-GTR and ATL-TCL-GTR-MEI routings. Additional DC-9 series 10 service was flown daily from Chicago with an ORD-MEM-GTR-MEI-PIB routing. And SO also operated the Martin 404 into GTR at this time with service to ATL, MEM, TCL and TUP.

Some years ago, I got stuck in GTR for about 24 hours thanks to ASA (DL Connection) and a broken CRJ. The airport terminal still had a portable airstair featuring the SO logo.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 31, 2012 at 1:20 pm Reason: Routing correction
Old Mar 31, 2012, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7) I"m thinking it was Eastern (720 service NYC/ATL/MSY).
An excellent guess! However, the airline was actually Capital.

You can view the front cover of this timetable by going back to post #655 and accessing the link to the timetable collection thoughtfully provided by WHBM. It's the June 1961 edition of the Capital timetable.

Capital, of course, was eventually acquired by United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.