Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
Ah, a case of mistaken identity. And not the first time this has happened, of course, with regard to other airfields in other places....
Another favorite of mine was when Western Airlines pilot Lowell Ferguson inadvertently brought jet service to tiny Buffalo, Wyoming. The town was so impressed they even have a day in his honor.

First Anniversary: http://www.nytimes.com/1981/07/07/ny...a-mistake.html

Second Anniversary: http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5713,6390619

The New York Times article is in error. It was a 737-200.

When it comes to flying waaaaay off course, a Canadian Airlines 737 bound for Cambridge Bay mistakenly landed in Churchill, Manitoba - 750 miles away!

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-09-..._cambridge-bay

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 13, 2015 at 3:06 pm
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by kochleffel
Most lists of mistaken landings include the 1962 UA flight that landed at Troutdale (TTD) instead of Portland International (PDX). TTD is under the standard approach to PDX, and a pilot following the Columbia River will see the Troutdale runway first.

But how many airlines have landed TWICE at the same wrong airport? I remember that UA did it again, while I was living in Oregon, so perhaps 1979 or 1980. ...
the crew of UA 173 tried to land their D8S at TTD in Dec 1978 when they ran out of fuel short of PDX ... they had been troubleshooting a gear indicator light and lost awareness of fuel remaining ... 181 on board, 171 survivors
Old Mar 14, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by jrl767
the crew of UA 173 tried to land their D8S at TTD in Dec 1978 when they ran out of fuel short of PDX ... they had been troubleshooting a gear indicator light and lost awareness of fuel remaining ... 181 on board, 171 survivors
I remember that one even more vividly. (The incident I described was a successful, though mistaken, landing.) My mother had arrived at PDX on a UA D8 the week before the 173 crash--from ORD, not DEN--and had flown out that morning.

The transcript of the cockpit voice recorder is terrifying:
1813:38
CAM-1 They’re all going

1813:41
CAM-1 We can’t make Troutdale

1813:43
CAM-2 We can’t make anything

1813:46
CAM-1 Okay, declare a mayday

1813:50
RDO-2 Portland tower United one seventy three
heavy Mayday we’re the engines are
flaming out, we’re going down, we’re not
going to be able to make the airport

1313:58
TWR United one
1814:35 ((impact with transmission lines as
derived from tower tape.))
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
http://www.airindia.in/timeline.htm

Arrival of first Boeing 707-437 (VT-DJJ "Nandadevi") in Bombay, after a record breaking non-stop flight from London to Bombay in 8 hours and 5 minutes.

21 February 1960
Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by VH-RMD

Arrival of first Boeing 707-437 (VT-DJJ "Nandadevi") in Bombay, after a record breaking non-stop flight from London to Bombay in 8 hours and 5 minutes.

21 February 1960
I seem to recall that Pakistan International sneaked one on Air India, by leasing a 707 from Pan Am, and indeed on looking it up I find that 707 N723PA was leased to PIA on 9 February 1960, 12 days ahead of that Air India one.

Both were operated on their respective prime route, to London, but PIA just got there first. They weren't competitive because neither served the other's country. Of course, they were both up against BOAC, who within a few months were about to introduce their THIRD generation of jets on the route, having done the Comet 1, then the Comet 4, and were about to move on to their 707s. The PIA aircraft started a 3 times a week service from Karachi through Tehran, Beirut, and then either Rome or Geneva, to London.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
48. What was the first Asian airline to operate jets?

Arrival of first Boeing 707-437 (VT-DJJ "Nandadevi") in Bombay, after a record breaking non-stop flight from London to Bombay in 8 hours and 5 minutes. 21 February 1960

You guys are so good that I really need to be more specific in how I word my questions! The error is on me inasmuch as I figured it went without saying that this question would be taken as addressing the first scheduled operations but I do think that if that's the case I should have specified it - and will endeavor to do so in the future.

So technically speaking, you are correct, VH-RMD! Air India did indeed take delivery of its first 707 before PIA, but by leasing a 707 from Pan Am PIA initiated 707 service earlier, thus becoming the first Asian airline to do so. It's all explained in the link below:

http://www.historyofpia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=91900 (Be sure to scroll down a notch!)

There's an interesting comment about one third the way down the page:

"The BOAC Comet 4 was chartered and he had said that again would technically make AI the first Asian airline to "offer" jet service, and that would have meant they served AI in the 50s and not later to be the first jet service in Asia, AI website time line seems to be missing some information too."

This might be one for... (gasp from the masses) WHBM!
WHBM, you are down right prescient! Thanks! What say ye on the Comet comment?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 14, 2015 at 12:32 pm
Old Mar 14, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: BA
No, there was no commercial agreement between BOAC and Air India for the use of Comets. There might have been a one-off charter but nothing billed as Air India.

Bonus question 1. Which was the first North American airline to take delivery of a jet airliner ? Answered - Canadian Pacific

Bonus question 2. What was novel about that first Air India 707, and why was BOAC not first with this, as once was expected. Answered - Rolls-Royce engines

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 18, 2015 at 6:18 pm
Old Mar 15, 2015, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Bonus question 2. What was novel about that first Air India 707, and why was BOAC not first with this, as once was expected.

I'm going to guess that it was the first to be powered by the Rolls Royce Conway engines...
Old Mar 15, 2015, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM

Bonus question 1. Which was the first North American airline to take delivery of a jet airliner ?
I believe this was Canadian Pacific with the Comet in 1953. Tragically, the aircraft crashed in Pakistan while on a delivery flight resulting in the loss of all on board. I think CP then cancelled their remaining order and never operated the Comet in revenue service.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

49. What was the first Middle Eastern airline to operate passenger jets?
I believe this was United Arab Airlines (formerly Misrair and currently EgpytAir) with the Comet in 1960.

And speaking of the Comet, here's a bonus question....

This U.K. based airline assembled a fleet of Comet jets late in the aircraft's service life. Identify this air carrier and also provide the number of Comet aircraft flown by this airline at the high point of operations. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 16, 2015 at 11:52 am Reason: answer update
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
And speaking of the Comet, here's a bonus question....

This U.K. based airline assembled a fleet of Comet jets late in the aircraft's service life. Identify this air carrier and also provide the number of Comet aircraft flown by this airline at the high point of operations.
I suspect this would be Dan Air as I flew on a number of charters operated by them between MUC and LGW in the late 1970s, but I never counted the hulls. The catering consisted of two seat back compartments each loaded with a salami sandwich. The first was unlocked from LGW and the second from MUC.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

49. What was the first Middle Eastern airline to operate passenger jets?

I believe this was United Arab Airlines (formerly Misrair and currently EgpytAir) with the Comet in 1960.

Correct! For more information, here's an interesting link:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...88198703,d.cGU
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MADPhil
I suspect this would be Dan Air as I flew on a number of charters operated by them between MUC and LGW in the late 1970s, but I never counted the hulls. The catering consisted of two seat back compartments each loaded with a salami sandwich. The first was unlocked from LGW and the second from MUC.
Dan-Air (or "Dan-Air London" with this name appearing on many of their aircraft) is correct. I believe Dan-Air had 49 Comet aircraft in their fleet at one point, although I also think some of these were not operational - they were kept as a source of spare parts.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Seat 2A;24498247]Here's an update on the unanswered questions:

The following 2 questions are based upon schedules published in a 1970 OAG

15. Alphabetically, this was the last city in the OAG receiving jet service. Identify the city, and if you like the airline, aircraft and two cities it was served from.

20. A perusal of the OAG has turned up four airlines that operated 727-100s into San Juan, Puerto Rico from regional airports. Can you identify them?

33. It's a nice spring day in 1986 and here you are looking forward to a nice weekend in Miami when an old friend calls and says she’s managed to come up with a pair of tickets to see Emmylou Harris on Saturday night at the famous Ryman Theater in Nashville, Tennessee. Can you make it? A quick search of your trusty OAG indicates a single nonstop flight between Miami and Nashville. Moments later you’re booked and ready to go. Identify the airline and aircraft operating this route.

MISCELLANEOUS QUESTIONS
I have made note of my reference sources for each of these questions in case there should be answers different from those I have. Debate and further discussion over any of the topics mentioned in this thread is always welcome!

38. What was the first airline to introduce seat back tv's on every seat?

Bonus Question 39B: When was the first pilot’s strike of a trunk airline in the U.S.? What airline was involved?

43. What was the first airline to operate pure 747 freighters? A N S W E R E D

Bonus Question 43B: Which airline was the first operator of the 747-200 Combi? A N S W E R E D

44. What became the first airline to post a million “L

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 18, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

43. What was the first airline to operate pure 747 freighters?
Well, I really want to say that Flying Tigers Line was first....

However, I'll guess instead that the airline was actually Lufthansa with a B747-200F delivered new (not a conversion).....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.