Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
11- Delta, ATL-DFW-LAS -- how about a standard 8 (I think the 880s were gone by then, and a 72S just seems too mundane for the Quiz)

27 - airline #1 was wrong, so herewith airline #2: Eastern, DC-9-30, PHL-Raleigh/Durham-Atlanta-SAT
11) No, it was not a standard DC-8 or a B727-200 and yes, the CV-880 had been retired by this time.....so please guess again!

27) Eastern is correct and one of the stops was Atlanta. However, the equipment was not a D9S and this flight did not stop in Raleigh/Durham.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA
Old time airliners ...

I'm sat here just west of London Heathrow and a notable propeller droning overhead (it's dark) caused a quick look at FR24 to find it's a Ukrainian-registered 4-turboprop Antonov 12 UR-CCP heading northwards. It seems to have come from Africa and is probably heading to East Midlands. It's at 21,000 feet, but was quite audible and even a little resonant inside an air-conditioned office. Probably the oldest transport aircraft in the UK skies today.

Reminiscent of those Vanguards I recall as a kid passing similarly overhead halfway from London to Belfast, we discussed a while back.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Icecat
But is it right? Heck if I know.
The Jan 76 CP Air timetable shows: a 727 leaving YVR at 830, 747 at 1430 and another 727 at 2359. The April 76 timetable shows the flight I listed. So in this case just using early 1976 didn't work.
4) Point taken and I shall be more precise with regard to time lines in the future. The aircraft we are looking for here was actually a B727-200. So CP Air was operating three round trips a day at this time YVR-YYZ with 747, 727 and 72S equipment.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
I'm sat here just west of London Heathrow and a notable propeller droning overhead (it's dark) caused a quick look at FR24 to find it's a Ukrainian-registered 4-turboprop Antonov 12 UR-CCP heading northwards. It seems to have come from Africa and is probably heading to East Midlands. It's at 21,000 feet, but was quite audible and even a little resonant inside an air-conditioned office. Probably the oldest transport aircraft in the UK skies today.

Reminiscent of those Vanguards I recall as a kid passing similarly overhead halfway from London to Belfast, we discussed a while back.
And speaking of aircraft one does not normally see....well, at least in the wilds of south Louisiana....

I mentioned awhile back that my friends at AvEx just down the ramp here at the Acadiana Regional Airport (KARA) in New Iberia (which is the location of my office) had been awarded a contract by Boeing to paint new B777-300 aircraft. Boeing flight crews would ferry these new 773s down from PAE in Washington state and then ferry them back to PAE. We saw a number of new 773s for American here as well as new 773s for Air New Zealand and Biman Bangladesh.

AvEx has now expanded their contract with Boeing to include the painting of new B787-8 and B787-9 aircraft. These aircraft are coming from (and going back to) the Boeing 787 plant in Charleston, South Carolina. In fact, we just had a new 787-9 in United livery depart for CHS week before last.....

No airline currently serves MSY (or any other airport in Louisiana, of course) with the 787 but we get to see them here at KARA.....

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 2, 2015 at 12:34 pm Reason: correct name for Biman
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA
The Antonov (I've heard it before in recent weeks but only looked it up just now) is flying the British Government's Ebola relief supplies from the UK to Freetown, Sierra Leone, and Dakar, Senegal. It seems to wake people up all along it's track across Europe !

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/6309443/

Back in the thread a short way, we discussed the replacement of the British United Bristol Britannia service to from London to Freetown with VC-10s in 1965. So, curiously, 50 years on, another four-engine turboprop has just started ploughing the same route.

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 2, 2015 at 3:38 pm
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:46 am

[QUOTE=jlemon;24441327]11) No, it was not a standard DC-8 or a B727-200 and yes, the CV-880 had been retired by this time.....so please guess again!

After a very busy couple of months at the office, I finally have some down time this morning...so I'm getting caught up here.

Why not take a "Wide Ride" 747-132 ATL-DFW-LAS, with a few rounds of your favorite beverages in the upstairs cocktail lounge.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, it was not a standard DC-8 or a B727-200 and yes, the CV-880 had been retired by this time.....so please guess again!

After a very busy couple of months at the office, I finally have some down time this morning...so I'm getting caught up here.

Why not take a "Wide Ride" 747-132 ATL-DFW-LAS, with a few rounds of your favorite beverages in the upstairs cocktail lounge.

11) JoeDTW, you are correct! And I'll provide the actual schedule this evening when I get home from the office...
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
27) Eastern is correct and one of the stops was Atlanta. However, the equipment was not a D9S and this flight did not stop in Raleigh/Durham.
how about a Boeing 720, PHL-ATL-HOU-SAT
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by jlemon;24446470
Why not take a "Wide Ride" 747-132 ATL-DFW-LAS, with a few rounds of your favorite beverages in the upstairs cocktail lounge.[/B
[/I]

11) JoeDTW, you are correct! And I'll provide the actual schedule this evening when I get home from the office...
First 747 I ever travel on was a Delta 747-132 from SFO-ATL on the night coach, remember those 20% off the day fares. Anyways in my humble opinion, I thought the Delta 747's were the best looking of any of the US airlines 747. I later read that Delta regretted getting rid on them, because they could have filled them up on the ATL-LGW when they started that route.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

11) You are in Atlanta having dinner with good friends. A message is delivered: can you make an early afternoon meeting in Las Vegas the next day? You discover there is a departure in the morning from ATL at 10:16am that will get you into LAS at 12:43pm which is the earliest arrival time. This flight operates daily and makes one intermediate stop en route. Name the airline, the aircraft and the one stop.
11) Here's the sched from the Feb. 1, 1976 OAG.....

DL 15: ATL 10:16a - 11:15a DFW 12:05p - 12:43p LAS
Op: Daily
Equip: 747
F/Y meal service: snack ATL-DFW, lunch DFW-LAS

And Delta was operating this flight at the same time.....

DL 21: ATL 12:11p - 1:10p DFW 2:00p - 2:53p LAX
Equip: 747
F/Y meal service: lunch ATL-DFW, lunch DFW-LAX

I also remember seeing Delta B747-132 aircraft at DFW back in the mid 1970s......but, alas, I never had the chance to fly on one.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
how about a Boeing 720, PHL-ATL-HOU-SAT
27) Well, you are very close! Here's the sched....

EA 121: PHL (EDT time zone) 5:55p - 6:38p (EST time zone) ATL 7:15p - 7:24p (CST time zone) MSY 7:50p - 9:10p SAT
Equip: Boeing 720
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Icecat
First 747 I ever travel on was a Delta 747-132 from SFO-ATL on the night coach, remember those 20% off the day fares. Anyways in my humble opinion, I thought the Delta 747's were the best looking of any of the US airlines 747. I later read that Delta regretted getting rid on them, because they could have filled them up on the ATL-LGW when they started that route.
Delta B747-132 aircraft could be seen at London Heathrow back around 1973-1974. There are eight photos of DL 747s at LHR on airliners.net from that time. I believe this was part of an interchange agreement Delta had back then with Pan Am in order to provide one stop thru plane service between Atlanta and London.....

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 3, 2015 at 6:32 pm Reason: clarification & additional info
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The first three quiz items have a time line of February 1976.....

6) What was the largest aircraft type being flown nonstop between San Juan (SJU) and Tortola (EIS) in the British Virgin Islands at this time and what airline operated the service?

8) Only one airline was operating jet service into Uranium City, Saskatchewan at this time with two flights a week, Identify the air carrier and the equipment.

9) Two airlines were competing on the Montreal - Val D'Or, Quebec route at this time. One air carrier flew two different but similar aircraft types while the other airline operated three very different aircraft types on the route. Name both air carriers and the respective equipment.

17) Fill in the blanks concerning this air carrier ad: "They went thataway. (With BOAC to Australia.) Here's a hint: this ad was promoting the airline's service from Los Angeles. And for bonus points, identify the aircraft type mentioned in this ad with this statement in mind: "Aboard one of our British VC-10s seated in the roomiest Economy seat of any comparable jet."

22) In the winter of 1991, this airline was operating nonstop jet service once a week from Vail, Colorado via Eagle County Airport (EGE) to both Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO). And this same air carrier was also flying nonstop five days a week to a third destination. Identify the airline and this third destination.

25) Also in the fall of 1994, three airlines were operating nonstop jet service from St. Thomas (STT) to St. Croix (STX) in the U.S. Virgin Islands. These airlines operated different aircraft types on the route. One carrier operated daily, the second airline flew six days a week and the third carrier operated twice a week. Identify all three airlines and the respective equipment.
Time to begin closing out the above quiz items, I believe, in order to clear the decks for Seat 2A and his new batch of OTA&AQ questions....

6) Douglas DC-3 equipment operated by Air BVI, Ltd. (BL) with four round trip nonstop flights a day SJU-EIS. Puerto Rico International Airlines (PQ) was also operating a couple of de Havilland Heron flights between SJU and EIS via a stop at STT at this same time.

8) Pacific Western (PW) with Boeing 737-200 service twice a week operated on Wednesdays and Fridays. Routing was YXD-YMM-YPY-YBE and I'm willing to bet the 73S was equipped with a gravel kit.

9) Air Canada (AC) operating DC-9-10 (all Y config) and DC-9-30 (F/Y config) equipment, and Nordair (ND) flying Boeing 737-200, Lockheed L-188 Electra and Fairchild Hiller FH-227 aircraft with all coach service on all three types. Many of the Nordair flights featured full meal service (breakfast or dinner) on the 266 mile run from Montreal (YUL) to Val d'Or (YVO). All flights were nonstop with the exception of one AC DC9 flight which made an intermediate stop at Ottawa (YOW).

17) See above.....

22) America West (HP). Aircraft type is not stated in their timetable but I'll guess it was the Boeing 737-300 operated on all HP flights into EGE including nonstop service from and back to PHX five days a week.

25) Delta (DL) operating daily with a Boeing 757-200 (actual routing DCA-ATL-STT-STX), Continental (CO) flying a Boeing 727-200 daily except Thursdays (actual routing EWR-STT-STX-EWR) and a resurrected National Airlines (5J) operating a McDonnell Douglas MD-80 on Mondays and Fridays only (actual routing MDW-ATL-STT-STX-ATL-MDW).

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 4, 2015 at 7:39 am Reason: additional info
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

38) In the fall of 1993, the Faroe Islands (FAE) in the North Atlantic only received nonstop air service on two routes. Jet aircraft were flown by two airlines on one route and turboprop service was operated by one airline on the other route. Name all three airlines that served FAE at this time as well as the routes and also identify the respective equipment types these air carriers operated into this remote destination. ANSWERED

39) Also in the fall of 1993, only one airline operated nonstop service between Miami (MIA) and Iquitos (IQT) in the Amazon jungle in Peru with one flight a week. Identify the air carrier and the aircraft type flown on the route.

40) Once again in the fall of 1993, no less than nine airlines were operating nonstop service between Hong Kong (HKG) and Bangkok (BKK). Two of the airlines were Cathay Pacific (CX) operating 747 and L-1011 equipment and Thai Airways International (TG) flying 747 and A300 aircraft. Name as many of the other seven air carriers as you can and also identify the equipment each operated on the route. And here's a hint: none of these airlines were based in the U.S. or U.K
And I'll let these three quiz items sit out there awhile longer......

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 6, 2015 at 4:38 pm
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL, AA
22) America West (HP). Aircraft type is not stated in their timetable but I'll guess it was the Boeing 737-300 operated on all flights into EGE including nonstop service from and back to PHX five days a week.
I forgot all about this service, yes it was 733 service. Here is a link that described the new HP service; https://books.google.com/books?id=pz...20Vail&f=false

Last edited by Icecat; Mar 3, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.