Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
I believe the intermediate cities were Dusseldorf, Hamburg and Copenhagen. So the three permutations that seem to make sense are FRA-DUS-CPH-ANC, FRA-HAM-CPH-ANC, and FRA-DUS-HAM-ANC.
16. The gentleman in New Orleans is correct! Here are the Lufthansa scheds from Europe to Tokyo via the polar route......

LH 654: Frankfurt 13:05-13:45 Dusseldorf 14:25-15:15 Hamburg 16:00-13:50 Anchorage 15:00-17:35 Tokyo (Haneda)
Op: Wednesdays only
Equip: 707
Note: Stopover permitted at ANC for onward ANC-HND pax that arrived on LH from Europe

LH 652: Frankfurt 13:05-13:45 Dusseldorf 14:25-15:35 Copenhagen 16:20-14:00 Anchorage 15:00-17:35 Tokyo (Haneda)
Op: Fridays only
Notes: No local traffic CPH-ANC, stopover permitted at ANC for onward ANC-HND pax that arrived on LH from Europe

LH 650: Frankfurt 13:05-14:00 Hamburg 14:50-15:35 Copenhagen 16:20-14:00 Anchorage 15:00-17:35 Tokyo (Haneda)
Op: Sundays only
Notes: No local traffic CPH-ANC, stopover permitted at ANC for onward ANC-HND pax that arrived on LH from Europe

BTW, Lufthansa was also operating three days a week at this time from Frankfurt to Tokyo Haneda on the more traditional route via Rome, Cairo, Karachi, Bangkok and Hong Kong with a 707 aircraft. Depending on the day of the week of the specific flight, other intermediate stops included Kuwait, Dhahran and Calcutta. On Mondays and Wednesdays, seven stops were made en route from FRA to HND. On Fridays, six stops were made en route.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 16, 2014 at 1:48 pm Reason: additional info
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
33. Eastern operating a B727-100 is correct as are the intermediate stops in ATL and IAH. However, this flight did not stop in BNA or MSY. So we are still looking for two more stops here.....
During one of my Unlimited Mileage Fare extravaganzas on Eastern Airlines, I once flew from Charlotte to Toledo via Columbus, Ohio on a DC-9-30. Granted, this was a couple of years later than the scenario posed in this question but it was still pre-deregulation, so what the heck - let's go with TOL-CMH-CLT-ATL-IAH-SAT.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
During one of my Unlimited Mileage Fare extravaganzas on Eastern Airlines, I once flew from Charlotte to Toledo via Columbus, Ohio on a DC-9-30. Granted, this was a couple of years later than the scenario posed in this question but it was still pre-deregulation, so what the heck - let's go with TOL-CMH-CLT-ATL-IAH-SAT.
33. Well, what the heck.....you are correct, sir! Here's the sched....

EA 325: Toledo (TOL) 6:19pm - 6:52pm Columbus (CMH) 7:21pm - 8:17pm Charlotte (CLT) 8:47pm - 9:40pm Atlanta (ATL) 10:45pm - 11:42pm Houston (IAH) 12:14am - 12:55am San Antonio (SAT)
Op: Daily
Equip: B727-100
Classes of service: TOL-ATL F/Y, ATL-SAT FN/YN

BTW, Eastern was operating four departures a day from Toledo at this time, three with B727-100 equipment and one with a DC9-30. All flights operated nonstop to Columbus before heading to various other destinations.

Other airlines operating jet service into TOL back in early 1976 included Allegheny with the BAC One-Eleven and DC9-30, Delta with the B727-200 and DC9-30, and United with the B727-100, B727-200 and B737-200. Together, these four airlines were operating up to 23 jet departures a day from Toledo. And there was turboprop commuter service as well.

Today, Toledo has American Eagle ERJ-145 service nonstop to Chicago O'Hare three times a day plus low frequency MD-80 service operated by Allegiant Air nonstop to several destinations in Florida. And that's it.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 17, 2014 at 7:40 am Reason: additional info
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL, AA
30. This airline was operating daily nonstop jet service between Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario (YAM) and Thunder Bay, Ontario (YQT). However, a different aircraft type was used to provide the service on the weekends. Name the air carrier and the two different jet types it flew on the route.
Transair operated both the F-28 and 737-200 on this route. YAM and YQT were intermediate stops on the YWG-YYZ route. I flew this route back in 1976 from YQT to YYZ.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Icecat
30. This airline was operating daily nonstop jet service between Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario (YAM) and Thunder Bay, Ontario (YQT). However, a different aircraft type was used to provide the service on the weekends. Name the air carrier and the two different jet types it flew on the route.
Transair operated both the F-28 and 737-200 on this route. YAM and YQT were intermediate stops on the YWG-YYZ route.
30. Correct! Transair (TZ) was operating the 73S between Sault Ste. Marie and Thunder Bay on weekdays and the F28 on weekends.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9. Six days a week (daily except Sunday) during the summer of 1967, this air carrier operated a morning departure at 7:40am from New York La Guardia to Chicago O'Hare. Four intermediate stops were made en route and the flight was operated with jet equipment in an all coach configuration. And on Sundays, this flight originated at another airport with the same four stops being made en route to ORD. Identify the airline, the equipment and all four stops. Plus, for bonus points, also identify the airport where the flight originated on Sundays.

12. In the spring of 1968 as part of its daily line up of flights from Miami to New York City, National Airlines operated two "named" flights. One flight, departing at 2:00pm nonstop to New York JFK was named "The __________". The other flight, departing at 10:00pm nonstop to JFK was named "The __________". Both flights featured the same type of aircraft. Fill in the blanks with the different names of these flights and also name the aircraft type.

20. In early 1982, this air carrier was operating nonstop Fairchild F-27 service between San Juan and St. Thomas up to ten times a day and also between San Juan and St. Croix up to five times a day. Name the airline.

21. In the summer of 1983 three different airlines were operating nonstop wide body service from Bogota to San Juan. None of these flights were operated on a daily basis. Identify all three air carriers and the respective wide body aircraft they were flying on the route.
The above quiz items remain unanswered.....

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 24, 2014 at 5:12 pm Reason: updating list of unanswered quiz items
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

31. In early 1976, this air carrier was operating wide body service twice a week nonstop between Acapulco (ACA) and Toronto (YYZ). At the same time, this same airline was operating a flight once a week southbound to Acapulco from Toronto with a different aircraft type which made two intermediate stops en route. However, this flight did not operate via Acapulco on the northbound service. Name the air carrier, the respective equipment types and the two intermediate stops made by the weekly southbound flight.

The next three quiz items all have a time line of the fall of 1994:

35. Two airlines were operating wide body service at this time from Antigua (ANU) nonstop to San Juan (SJU). One airline flew twice daily while the other air carrier flew twice a week. Name both airlines and the respective aircraft types they operated on the route.

39. Three different airlines were operating wide body equipment from Barbados (BGI) nonstop to Port of Spain (POS). In each case, the aircraft was a different type. One airline could only carry stop over traffic while the other two were able to transport local traffic. None of these flights were operated on a daily basis. Identify all three air carriers and the respective wide body aircraft types they flew on the route.

40. Four different U.S. airlines were operating wide body service at this time nonstop between Miami (MIA) and the New York City area (JFK & EWR). One of these airlines operated two different types of wide body equipment on the route while the other three each operated a different wide body type. Thus, there were a total of five different wide body types being operated by these airlines nonstop between MIA and NYC. Name all four air carriers and the respective wide body aircraft they flew between Miami and New York City
. Partially answered
And these quiz items remain unanswered as well.....

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 17, 2014 at 7:54 pm Reason: answer update
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
6. Fill in the blank and identify the airline concerning this marketing statement which was made in the spring of 1967:

"View the mile-high city from an ________ DC-9 Jet!"

Well now, there weren't too many airlines flying DC-9s into Denver in 1967 - I'm thinking Continental and Ozark. Maybe TTA was, but I don't think so. Since the phrase says we'd be viewing the mile high city from an _______ DC-9 jet, ah mon' fall back onta muh grammar lessons and figure it must be an airline that begins with a vowel. As such my answer will be Ozark, thank you.

7. Also in the spring of 1967, this air carrier was operating an early morning jet departure from Tulsa with daily direct service to Chicago O'Hare. The flight departed TUL at 6:10am and arrived at ORD at 9:10am. Three stops were made en route. Identify the airline, the equipment and all three intermediate stops.

You know, this also sounds like Ozark. I once flew Ozark between Chicago and Tulsa, but I managed five stops enroute aboard a pair of DC-9-30s back in 1980 (ORD-PIA-SPI-STL-SGF-JLN-TUL). For the purposes of this question however, I'm going to suggest the three stops were made in Springfield, MO, St. Louis and ... 50-50 here ... Springfield, IL or Peoria... Let's go with SPI. Oh yeah, the equipment would be a DC-9-10. Wish me luck!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 17, 2014 at 7:05 pm
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
5. It's the summer of 1965 and you are in Huntsville, Alabama (HSV). You need to travel to New York City . One airline can get you there via a direct, no change of plane flight to Newark Airport with three stops being made en route. Name the air carrier, the aircraft type and all three intermediate stops.
5- this was before Southern expanded its service up to Dulles and the NYC area, so I'm thinking that Eastern was the most likely suspect for HSV-EWR... let's go with an Electra operating via Birmingham (BHM), Atlanta (ATL), and Raleigh-Durham (RDU)

13. This air carrier was operating direct service from New Orleans to Boston at this time. Six intermediate stops were made en route on this daily milk run flight. However, you note the timetable lists different aircraft types being operated on April 4 and April 5 although the same six stops are made. Identify the airline, all six stops in the order in which they were made and the two different types of equipment flown on the route.
13- again, Eastern could be a contender here; one day's service was probably with a 727 and the other day with an Electra ... lots of possible stops between MSY and BOS, so here's one set:
  • Mobile (MOB)
  • Atlanta (ATL)
  • Greensboro/High Point (GSO)
  • Washington National (DCA)
  • JFK
  • Hartford (BDL)

I have a second guess ready as to the airline if EA turns out not to be right

Last edited by jrl767; Sep 18, 2014 at 5:53 am Reason: got my years mixed up ... IDL had been renamed JFK long before 1967
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
6. Fill in the blank and identify the airline concerning this marketing statement which was made in the spring of 1967:

"View the mile-high city from an ________ DC-9 Jet!"

Well now, there weren't too many airlines flying DC-9s into Denver in 1967 - I'm thinking Continental and Ozark. Maybe TTA was, but I don't think so. Since the phrase says we'd be viewing the mile high city from an _______ DC-9 jet, ah mon' fall back onta muh grammar lessons and figure it must be an airline that begins with a vowel. As such my answer will be Ozark, thank you.

7. Also in the spring of 1967, this air carrier was operating an early morning jet departure from Tulsa with daily direct service to Chicago O'Hare. The flight departed TUL at 6:10am and arrived at ORD at 9:10am. Three stops were made en route. Identify the airline, the equipment and all three intermediate stops.

You know, this also sounds like Ozark. I once flew Ozark between Chicago and Tulsa, but I managed five stops enroute aboard a pair of DC-9-30s back in 1980 (ORD-PIA-SPI-STL-SGF-JLN-TUL). For the purposes of this question however, I'm going to suggest the three stops were made in Springfield, MO, St. Louis and ... 50-50 here ... Springfield, IL or Peoria... Let's go with SPI. Oh yeah, the equipment would be a DC-9-10. Wish me luck!
Yep, you are correct! It was Ozark Air Lines in both cases.

6. Ozark was serving Denver with two daily flights at this time. Both were operated with DC9-10 aircraft. Round trip routings were Chicago O'Hare - Sioux Falls - Sioux City - Denver and Chicago O'Hare - Waterloo - Sioux City - Denver. In the spring of 1967, DEN was a new destination for OZ and also was the westernmost station in their route system.

7. OZ 950 flew a daily routing of Tulsa - Springfield, MO - St. Louis - Springfield, IL - Chicago. Equipment was a DC9-10 and this was the only jet service operated by Ozark from TUL at this time. The other two OZ flights from Tulsa were respectively operated by a DC-3 and by a FH-227.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
40. Four different U.S. airlines were operating wide body service at this time nonstop between Miami (MIA) and the New York City area (JFK & EWR). One of these airlines operated two different types of wide body equipment on the route while the other three each operated a different wide body type. Thus, there were a total of five different wide body types being operated by these airlines nonstop between MIA and NYC. Name all four air carriers and the respective wide body aircraft they flew between Miami and New York City.
40- I had to go back to the original question (post #5956) rather than tonight's re-post, because while I could place five different types of wide-body aircraft in service in 1976 -- 747, 747SP, L-1011, DC-10, and A300 -- there weren't four US operators running these on NYC<-->MIA at that time

we're actually talking 1994, so how about these:
  1. Tower Air 747
  2. TWA L-1011
  3. Delta 767
  4. Continental DC-10 and A300
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
5- this was before Southern expanded its service up to Dulles and the NYC area, so I'm thinking that Eastern was the most likely suspect for HSV-EWR... let's go with an Electra operating via Birmingham (BHM), Atlanta (ATL), and Raleigh-Durham (RDU)

13- again, Eastern could be a contender here; one day's service was probably with a 727 and the other day with an Electra ... lots of possible stops between MSY and BOS, so here's one set:
  • Mobile (MOB)
  • Atlanta (ATL)
  • Greensboro/High Point (GSO)
  • NYC Idlewild (IDL)
  • Hartford (BDL)

I have a second guess ready as to the airline if EA turns out not to be right
Great guesses! However.....

5. The airline was not Eastern nor was the equipment an Electra.

13. Again, the airline was not Eastern. However, on the plus side, you have guessed both aircraft types correctly: an Electra and a B727-100.

So please guess again......
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
40- I had to go back to the original question (post #5956) rather than tonight's re-post, because while I could place five different types of wide-body aircraft in service in 1976 -- 747, 747SP, L-1011, DC-10, and A300 -- there weren't four US operators running these on NYC<-->MIA at that time

we're actually talking 1994, so how about these:
  1. Tower Air 747
  2. TWA L-1011
  3. Delta 767
  4. Continental DC-10 and A300
My apologies for not including the time line when I transposed these quiz items - I've now corrected this oversight.

40. Tower Air B747 - correct!

TWA L-1011 - correct!

Delta 767 - incorrect!

Continental A300 and DC-10 - incorrect!

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 17, 2014 at 7:57 pm
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... you have guessed both aircraft types correctly: an Electra and a B727-100. ...
13: that cements the operator as National; I'd venture that four of the stops were
  • Jacksonville (JAX)
  • JFK
  • Providence (PVD)
I can see two possibilities for the first part of the route
  • Mobile (MOB) / JAX / Charleston (CHS)
  • Tampa (TPA) / Orlando (MCO) / JAX
of these, I think the latter is more likely

Last edited by jrl767; Sep 18, 2014 at 5:54 am Reason: correct designator for JFK; IDL was long gone in 1967
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

40. Tower Air B747 - correct!

TWA L-1011 - correct!

Delta 767 - incorrect!

Continental A300 and DC-10 - incorrect!
40: MIA <--> NYC:
how about another major (American, MD-11 and 767-300) and another post-deregulation startup (Carnival, A300)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.