Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon

19. The 1968 film "Bullitt" starring Steve McQueen and directed by Peter Yates featured two different airlines and a respective aircraft type operated by each. Name both airlines, the equipment featured and the airport where these scenes were filmed.

Ha! I saw Bullitt not so long ago! The airport was San Francisco International and there were a couple of Pan Am 707s as well as a nice close up of a PSA 727. I'm pretty sure it was a standard sized -14.

As for The Shining, I might have to watch it tonight to see what you're asking about
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

20. The 1980 film "The Shining" starring Jack Nicholson and directed by Stanley Kubrick featured an aerial shot of one of the jets operated by this airline. Identify the air carrier and the aircraft.

Okay, it had been so long since I'd seen this film I forgot there were any airplane sequences in it. I suspect my experience is not much different from most others here, as in given the sheer volume of movies out there, what are the odds of anyone else here having seen The Shining recently enough to recall the airplane scenes. Alas, I must admit to some cheating here as I just happen to have a copy of The Shining and so I went and checked, scene by scene. I thought it might be in the beginning of the movie, what with them heading out to Colorado but it wasn't until Scatman Crother's character flew out to Colorado from Miami.

And there it was: A Continental DC-10 (Which incidentally I don't believe CO ever operated on the MIA-DEN route). However, equally interesting is that while Scatman's character may have flown to Denver on Continental, he was then shown arriving on a United DC-10.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: BA
..... and as we're doing media events from the past :

Which airline added TLES to their logo for a publicity stunt, and how did a mechanical feature of the aircraft type in question aid the stunt ?
This one still awaiting a guess from last week, too.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
19. & 20. Seat 2A is correct on both!

"Bullitt" does indeed feature Pan Am Boeing 707 and PSA Boeing 727 aircraft. It also appears that an interior of a Pan Am 707 appears in the film, complete with TV monitors mounted overhead in the cabin. A very memorable scene in the film concerns a foot chase that was shot at SFO at night. Lt. Frank Bullitt, an SFPD detective played by Steve McQueen, is in pursuit of a criminal and tries to cross an active departure runway on foot. However, in attempting to apprehend the bad guy, he gets trapped beneath a departing Pan Am 707 and then has to lie down on the runway while the jet thunders away apparently on take off directly over him. I'm not sure whether that's actually Steve McQueen in the shot or a stunt man. McQueen did actually drive in several chase scenes in the film at the wheel of a Ford Mustang GT 390 fastback (I initially thought this car might have been modified by Carroll Shelby but it appears it came directly from Ford). And observant viewers of "Bullitt" will see a third jet airliner in the film, being a Western B707 or B720B in their old livery which appears very briefly in the background parked at a gate.

The beautiful aerial shot of the Continental DC-10 in "The Shining" appears to show the Rocky Mountains in the background as the aircraft begins in its initial descent into the Denver area. However, I must admit I was unaware of the United DC-10 in the film. Is this the shot where the aircraft is on final to the runway in a snowstorm?

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 9, 2014 at 7:31 pm Reason: additional info....
Old Mar 9, 2014, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Folks, I've run out of time this evening with regard to providing answers to the remaining quiz items detailed above.

So I'll let them sit out there until tomorrow evening and then supply the answers if there are no takers.....
Old Mar 9, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL, AA
[QUOTE]22. In the fall of 1982, this airline was operating turboprop service from Lake Tahoe (TVL) nonstop to two destinations. The air carrier in question was the only operator ever to fly this particular aircraft type on scheduled passenger services into Lake Tahoe. Identify the air carrier, the equipment it operated and the two destinations it flew from Lake Tahoe.
[/QUOTE]

I believe it was Golden Gate with Dash-7's serving San Francisco and Reno.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
3. It's 1970 and you are on South Padre Island in south Texas where you have just concluded a fishing expedition in the Gulf of Mexico. You need to travel to Los Angeles for a business meeting. There are three (3) commercially served airports in the southern Rio Grande Valley area of Texas: Brownsville (BRO), Harlingen (HRL) and McAllen (MFE). You discover there is one airline that offers direct, no change of plane jet service to Los Angeles. And this flight is a classic milk run with no less than six (6) intermediate stops en route. Name the airline, the airport you'll be departing from, the six intermediate stops and the equipment operated on the route. [B]
How about this routing: HRL-HOU-DAL-MAF(Midland)-ROW(Roswell)-ABQ(Albuquerque)-LAX
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The beautiful aerial shot of the Continental DC-10 in "The Shining" appears to show the Rocky Mountains in the background as the aircraft begins its initial descent into the Denver area. However, I must admit I was unaware of the United DC-10 in the film. Is this the shot where the aircraft is on final to the runway in a snowstorm?
Correct! A couple of more things regarding the airplane scenes in this film... First, we're treated to a nice scene of the Continental DC-10 flying over what looks to be the Front Range west of Denver, but then they next show the actor sitting in a 747 (you can tell by the window moldings). Finally, they show a United DC-10 landing in a snowstorm, but given the amount of foliage around the runway I don't think it's Denver. Of course it's not at all unusual for Hollywood to use stock footage of airlines, but only people of our ilk would likely ever take notice of such things.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by WHBM
..... and as we're doing media events from the past :

Which airline added TLES to their logo for a publicity stunt, and how did a mechanical feature of the aircraft type in question aid the stunt ? This one still awaiting a guess from last week, too.
This one still awaiting a guess from last week, too.
OK, let's fill this one in.

The airline was BEA in around 1966, and if you add BEA and TLES together, you get ......

It was a BEA Vanguard, operating Manchester to London Heathrow, that was involved, carrying the group. No fancy private jets in those days, they would be stuck 3+3 in the all-economy Vanguard seating with everyone else. The BEA livery at the time was a black cheat line across the cabin windows, but at the doors they had the BEA logo instead, which was a simplistic "BEA" in white letters, on a red square.

The feature of the Vanguard doors was they did not swing simply on hinges, but moved on a parallelogram mechanism forward and outside, so they lay alongside the fuselage just ahead of the doorway. The BEA PR Manager at Heathrow had a red card of the same dimensions made up with the TLES, and as open steps boarding was then universal (and still is common on BA domestic flights today), he rushed up the steps to try and persuade the band to pose for photos with it held in place. The photo journalists had all been allowed to the bottom of the steps (simpler days).

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=BE...%3B1780%3B1178

Ringo held the card.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

22. In the fall of 1982, this airline was operating turboprop service from Lake Tahoe (TVL) nonstop to two destinations. The air carrier in question was the only operator ever to fly this particular aircraft type on scheduled passenger services into Lake Tahoe. Identify the air carrier, the equipment it operated and the two destinations it flew from Lake Tahoe.

Icecat: I believe it was Golden Gate with Dash-7's serving San Francisco and Reno.

22. Golden Gate did indeed serve Lake Tahoe with the Dash 7.....and so did Golden West. However, we are looking for the only air carrier ever to use this specific aircraft type for scheduled passenger service into TVL.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 10, 2014 at 7:34 am
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
How about this routing: HRL-HOU-DAL-MAF(Midland)-ROW(Roswell)-ABQ(Albuquerque)-LAX
You are very close, sir! And this was a bit of a trick question as the Texas International (which in 1970 had just changed its name from Trans-Texas Airways a.k.a. TTa) flight in question actually served two of the three airports in the southern Rio Grande Valley of Texas that were mentioned in this quiz item, being McAllen and Harlingen. Here's the sched...

TI 957: MFE-HRL-IAH-DAL-MAF-ROW-ABQ-LAX
Op: Daily
Equip: DC9

TI 957 originated in McAllen with a 6:20am departure and after six intermediate stops en route arrived at LAX at 12:45pm where the flight terminated, the DC-9-10 was turned around and then headed back east. Also note that Houston Intercontinental (IAH) had opened the year before while DFW had yet to open. BTW, TI (formerly TT) was operating two types of turboprop equipment at this time as well: the Convair 600 and the Beech 99.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 10, 2014 at 8:00 am Reason: additional info.....
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

duplicate post.....
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yet another duplicate post....sorry!
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
22. In the fall of 1982, this airline was operating turboprop service from Lake Tahoe (TVL) nonstop to two destinations. The air carrier in question was the only operator ever to fly this particular aircraft type on scheduled passenger services into Lake Tahoe. Identify the air carrier, the equipment it operated and the two destinations it flew from Lake Tahoe.

Icecat: I believe it was Golden Gate with Dash-7's serving San Francisco and Reno.

22. Golden Gate did indeed serve Lake Tahoe with the Dash 7.....and so did Golden West. However, we are looking for the only air carrier ever to use this specific aircraft type for scheduled passenger service into TVL.
I'll try Aspen Airways (AP) to LAX and BUR. One year earlier AP also had nonstops to SFO and SJC. Equipment was a Convair, but I don't know which series.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by miniliq
I'll try Aspen Airways (AP) to LAX and BUR. One year earlier AP also had nonstops to SFO and SJC. Equipment was a Convair, but I don't know which series.
Aspen flew CV-580s (ex-Allegheny and Frontier; Wikipedia pic has one of each)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.