Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2021, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by strickerj
Complete answer provision? Is this new? I don't recall seeing that...

OK, I see now where I missed it... Still, given that it hasn't been like this until recently, a gentle reminder would have been warranted rather than just ignoring, since the latter could also be interpreted as the answer getting lost in the shuffle.

I'll echo the sentiment above that too much rigidity takes away from the spontaneity that has made this thread so enjoyable for me. I would think it preferable to have a partial guess than none at all, where the answer has to be revealed after no guesses are offered within a week or so. JMHO, of course... Much appreciation to those who have lent their knowledge and experience to this thread.
The complete answer provision has been mentioned by both jlemon and myself for a couple of years now - if not longer. It's not new. If you don't recall seeing it, well, there's a lot of info posted on this thread. JL and I have long mentioned it as part of the header starting out a set of new questions. I get the sense at this point people are excited enough to see the new questions that they probably don't even bother to read the header or preamble anymore. Yeah, yeah... whatever...

Speaking strictly for myself - a lot of time and effort goes into researching and formulating these questions. I don't just come up with them in a minute or two. Some of them, like the question which brought this to the forefront between you and I - took about 15-20 minutes of researching. Then I've got to come up with a scenario and then type it all out - including transcribing the flight itinerary, times and aircraft to be used later when displaying the answer. As such, I have neither the desire nor intention to give the answer - in part or in total - away piecemeal. Nor will I be accepting partial or double guesses. If that makes me a bad guy or some cruder epithet, so be it. With my questions at least - unless we're in a real logjam after numerous attempts - less "rigidity" with regard to this provision ain't gonna happen.

I might add that over the ten years that I've been involved with this thread, I've dealt with many instances of vague, incomplete or multiple answers masquerading as one. On the whole I think I've been fairly nice about addressing those shortcomings. I know for a fact that I've mentioned such shortcomings will be "summarily ignored" if only because I like the sound of it. And hey, what's a bark without a bite if nothing more than a bunch of barking?

In any event, at this point - given that the complete answer provision has been a request prefacing my questions for a good long while - I have no problem with ignoring responses that fail to do so. It's as simple as typing in the wrong password while attempting to access an account you belong to. The computer will kick it back - not with a kind and gentle reminder, but with a rather more blunt "incorrect password". Sigh... Right. You just re-enter it correctly and life goes on.

So if the worst thing that has happened to you today is that I ignored your answer - over the vast distances of cyberspace no less - I think you should reexamine how well off you have it. Besides, nobody's perfect. Look at me - I screw up all the time here. Thankfully I've got a short memory, so I just pick up the pieces and continue on.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 6, 2021 at 1:56 am
Old Jul 6, 2021, 5:43 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
This is actually far from the worst thing that's happened to me today (but thanks for making assumptions), which is why I was already in a bit if a sour mood. But I guess for me the solution is to go back to lurking; I started responding here for fun, and it's ceased to be so. Cheers.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
This is actually far from the worst thing that's happened to me today (but thanks for making assumptions), which is why I was already in a bit if a sour mood. But I guess for me the solution is to go back to lurking; I started responding here for fun, and it's ceased to be so. Cheers.
Well, I hope you will rethink your decision as we very much appreciate your participation and contributions here on the OTAQ&D!
Old Jul 6, 2021, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

28. (1990) Back in 1976 you flew nonstop from San Francisco to Albuquerque in First Class aboard a Continental 727-200. You still have fond memories of that delicious carrot cake that was sliced and served from the cart to close out the meal. Alas, these days the only nonstop flights between SFO and ABQ are with Southwest aboard all-economy class 737s where all that’s served are bags of peanuts. Ugh! There’s got to be a better way! Following a bit of research, you’ve found one – a two stop direct flight offering a First Class cabin and two snacks enroute. YYYess!! Book it, Danno! First Class, please. Airline, enroute stops and aircraft please.
Up early this morning to watch live coverage of Stage 10 of the 2021 Tour de France on NBCSN here in the U.S. as the riders race from Albertville in the foothills of the Alps to Valence in the Provence region.....and one of these fine days, I still hope to attend a future Tour de France in person, perhaps during a stage held in the Pyrenees.

28. This sure sounds like America West with intermediate stops at HP's two hubs: Las Vegas followed by Phoenix. And for the aircraft, let's go with the B737-300.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
37. I thought initially that this might be something with an ALB stop but don’t think so. Let’s start with CO operating ROC-EWR-PWM on an ATR-72.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 9:40 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
American via Nashville is spot on! However, we're looking for a different aircraft type.

Tap 'er on in!
I have only flown into BNA once, and it around that time and was from Ohio. I was trying to remember what the aircraft was, when it dawned on me that I was flying from Port Columbus, not Cleveland Hopkins.

There are too many types that seem possible and too few that seem likely. Next choice: MD-83.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 12:55 pm

42. Hawaiian Air L-1011 in all Y KOA-LAX, AA DC-10 LAX-MIA, EA L-1011 under 200 miles the rest of the way to NAS.

46. 2x day IAH, daily to LAX, LAS, MIA, and EWR.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
28. (1990) Back in 1976 you flew nonstop from San Francisco to Albuquerque in First Class aboard a Continental 727-200. You still have fond memories of that delicious carrot cake that was sliced and served from the cart to close out the meal. Alas, these days the only nonstop flights between SFO and ABQ are with Southwest aboard all-economy class 737s where all that’s served are bags of peanuts. Ugh! There’s got to be a better way! Following a bit of research, you’ve found one – a two stop direct flight offering a First Class cabin and two snacks enroute. YYYess!! Book it, Danno! First Class, please. Airline, enroute stops and aircraft please.

This sure sounds like America West with intermediate stops at HP's two hubs: Las Vegas followed by Phoenix. And for the aircraft, let's go with the B737-300.

Well you know, JL - if I didn't know better I'd have thought it was America West as well. That said - I do know better - if only because I'm the guy who was surprised to see this flight in my OAG and decided to turn it into a question. That said, it's not America West and the routing does not include LAS and PHX. The aircraft is however a 737-300. That must mean that it's being flown by... via...
Old Jul 6, 2021, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
37. (1993) You were really looking forward to making the 490 drive from Rochester, New York to Portland, Maine, until your car’s transmission started making that odd clunking noise while in reverse. So now, while your car’s in the shop getting worked on, you’ll be flying to Portland. Thankfully, there’s a single daily one-stop direct flight departing ROC each afternoon. Identify the usual triumvirate, please.

I thought initially that this might be something with an ALB stop but don’t think so. Let’s start with CO operating ROC-EWR-PWM on an ATR-72.

I'm impressed, Bluehen1 .Continental via Newark is correct! However, the aircraft was not an ATR and so we need just the correct aircraft to complete your masterpiece.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kochleffel
29. (1993) Gosh, it seems like only yesterday that you were flying aboard United Caravelles while traveling between Mobile, Alabama and Cleveland, Ohio to visit your wife’s side of the family. Alas, the Caravelles are but a pleasant memory and United no longer serves Mobile. Thankfully, another airline offers a one-stop direct flight between Mobile and Cleveland, and First Class is available. Identify the airline, the single enroute stop and the aircraft type.

AA MD82 via BNA

American via Nashville is spot on! However, we're looking for a different aircraft type. Tap 'er on in!

I have only flown into BNA once, and it around that time and was from Ohio. I was trying to remember what the aircraft was, when it dawned on me that I was flying from Port Columbus, not Cleveland Hopkins. There are too many types that seem possible and too few that seem likely. Next choice: MD-83.

When I said I was variant specific - perhaps I should have specified that I didn't mean to be THAT specific Mainly, where variants represent significant differences in aircraft size (such as DC9, D9S, D95 or 73S, 733, 734, 735 etc) In the case of the MD80 family, with the exception of the -87 all of the models are the exact same length. Here's a link to the specs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_MD-80#Specifications Additionally, I don't think American ever specified as to what variant they were operating on any given flight - except perhaps to its pilots. All the passengers ever knew was that they were flying aboard a Super 80 as American liked to call the plane.

With regard to this question however, we're still looking for an entirely different aircraft type. I'm sure you'll select it shortly
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
42. (1989) It is with much sadness that you’ll be leaving your job as Assistant Manager of the King Kamehameha Hotel in Kona, Hawaii. You’ve made some great friends there over the past three years. Then again, it is with great excitement that you’ll be taking on a new challenge as the Sales Manager of the British Colonial Hilton in Nassau, Bahamas. To get there, you’ve found a three flight itinerary involving a trio of tri-jets operated by three different airlines. One of the aircraft is operated in an all-economy configuration but on the other two flights you’ll be in First Class. One of the flights will be shorter than 200 miles. Identify all three airlines, the equipment type each operates and the routing to be flown.

Hawaiian Air L-1011 in all Y KOA-LAX, AA DC-10 LAX-MIA, EA L-1011 under 200 miles the rest of the way to NAS.

There's no reason why it couldn't have been this trio, Joe. However, per the schedule I referenced for this question, these three very likely suspects don't match up time-wise. In fact we're looking for a different routing involving three different airlines than the ones you've submitted. FWIW, an L-1011 was used on the final leg into NAS though - but it wasn't from Eastern. Hmm...46. (1990) (The JoeDTW Special) Continental operated a substantial fleet of A300Bs between 1986 and 1995. In late 1990, Continental’s long standing focus city of Denver, Colorado was the recipient of six mostly daily A300 flights – one each from four cities and two flights from one city. Identify each of the five cities please.

2x day IAH, daily to LAX, LAS, MIA, and EWR.

Houston (IAH), Los Angeles (LAX) and New York (EWR) are correct. However, the twice daily A300s did not come out of IAH (surprising) but rather Newark. In any event, three down, two to go!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 7, 2021 at 1:35 am
Old Jul 7, 2021, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per jlemon: Well, I hope you will rethink your decision as we very much appreciate your participation and contributions here on the OTAQ&D!

God love 'im - 'ol JL is much more of a diplomat than I'll ever be. That said, I echo his sentiments. Hopefully, when you get over what ever put you in a sour mood in the first place, you'll revisit our issue and maybe consider that over something as trifling as me having ignored your answer, you've quickly gone from enjoyable participation here to it having ceased to be so. Hmm... Might I suggest something along the lines of "You know, that Seat 2A sure is a #!@%! but ... what the heck - I've had a good time participating in the quiz and if he wants complete answers, well it's his quiz to run (when it's his questions) and it's not that big of a deal to provide a complete answer. So then, we'll start with PHF and then go with yada, yada, yada...

I get the sense some people may shy away from providing a complete answer because they think they don't have a clue. If so, they've got two choices: 1.) Don't participate in that particular question or 2.) Just dive on in and give it your best shot. So what if you're wrong. Lots of people are everyday here, including yours truly. If nothing else, a wrong answer effectively eliminates previously guessed items from further consideration and as such serves as a clue towards the correct answer - or should I say - the correct complete answer.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 7, 2021 at 2:23 am
Old Jul 7, 2021, 6:04 am

42. Let's try an all Y ATA DC-10 KOA-HNL, a CO DC-10 HNL-JFK, and a TWA L-1011 JFK-NAS.

46. SFO and BOS.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Let’s upsize it to a 737-200.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 7:36 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
American via Nashville is spot on! However, we're looking for a different aircraft type. Tap 'er on in!
The only other mainline aircraft I can envision is the F.100, but I'm thinking that it was more likely Eagle with an ERJ-145.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.