Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

Please limit your responses to two quiz items per day so that all may participate. We are also looking for complete and specific answers here, as always. Thanks!

5. It's 1960 and you are in Minneapolis. You're off to Miami and will be flying in first class with this daily flight making two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

The following two quiz items both have a time line of 1967....

8. This airline made the following statement concerning a new aircraft type in its fleet:

__________ Airlines' 560 mph Interstate Highway

Fill in the blank concerning the identity of air carrier and name the aircraft. It was a twin engine jet

9. It's time to go sailing! You are in Dallas and your old sailing buddy has just docked his catamaran at Freeport in the Bahamas. And there just happens to be a direct daily flight from DAL to FPO which makes two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the equipment.ANSWERED
Just three two one left to go here from my initial set.....

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 25, 2019 at 9:53 am Reason: answer updates
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Continuing on.....

12. It's 1973 and you are in Miami. You need to travel to Kingston, Jamaica and have been informed of a flight which makes one stop en route and is operated five days a week. Your travel agent also tells you there will be a flight number change at the intermediate stop but you will only be on the ground for 30 minutes and will stay on the same aircraft for the continuing flight on to KIN. Identify the airline, the stop and the equipment. The aircraft was a twin engine jet and this air carrier was not based in the U.S.

14. Man, it sure is cold in New York City in early 1976! So how about yet another sail trip at a much warmer location, this time in the Caribbean? Your old sailing buddy has his catamaran moored near old San Juan so all you have to do is get down there. Now you could fly nonstop to SJU....but you've found an interesting flight which operates daily and makes four stops en route. So with this in mind, identify the airport you will depart from in the New York City area, the airline, all four stops in order and the equipment. First class was available on this flight which did not stop at Miami (MIA)

17. Lake Tahoe is a beautiful place in the fall of 1979! You've been visiting with friends at their lake shore home but now it's time to get back to business which means a journey to Miami. However, you were planning to fly out of Lake Tahoe Airport which unfortunately has now been temporarily closed due to an early season snowstorm. "No problem," says one of your friends, "Let's hop into my four wheel drive Chevy Blazer and I'll drive you over to the airport in Reno. I've even got snow chains should we need them but I don't think we'll have any problem once we get over the pass and hit U.S. 395 north." So after some hastily revised travel plans, off you go. You will be flying on two airlines and thus making a connection. You will also be flying on board two different aircraft types. Your first flight will be nonstop to your connecting airport where you will have a layover of less than two hours. Your second flight will make one intermediate stop en route. So with this in mind, identify the first airline and the equipment, the connecting airport, the second airline and the equipment plus the stop made by the second flight. First you fly west and then you fly east. The same manufacturer built both aircraft types.

18. In 1981, this airline announced it would begin offering a first class service named "Upper Class" on its transatlantic flights into and out of London Gatwick Airport. It stated this "Upper Class" service would include "fine wines, five-star cuisine and complimentary chauffeur-driven Rolls-Royce service to and from Gatwick Airport". Name the air carrier and the equipment it was operating into LGW. And no, it wasn't Virgin Atlantic. ANSWERED

19. Now it's 1982 and you are in Peoria. You need to travel to to Los Angeles and are amazed to find a direct flight from PIA to LAX which operates daily and makes three stops en route. Identify the airline, all three stops in order and the aircraft type. It was Continental operating a B727-200 with a routing of PIA - OMA - DEN - ___ - LAX. Still looking for the third stop which wasn't ONT, SNA, PSP or LAS.
And just five four more to go here with a few additional hints added here and there.....

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 24, 2019 at 11:25 am Reason: answer update
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
5. It's 1960 and you are in Minneapolis. You're off to Miami and will be flying in first class with this daily flight making two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the aircraft type. It was Eastern operating an L-188 Electra. The first stop was MDW. Still looking for the second stop which wasn't SDF, ATL, MEM, IND, PIE or BNA.
5- there are a few Florida possibilities; about the only remaining one on the Chicago end of the trip would be Cincinnati (CVG)

19. Now it's 1982 and you are in Peoria. You need to travel to to Los Angeles and are amazed to find a direct flight from PIA to LAX which operates daily and makes three stops en route. Identify the airline, all three stops in order and the aircraft type. It was Continental operating a B727-200 with a routing of PIA - OMA - DEN - ___ - LAX. Still looking for the third stop which wasn't ONT, SNA or PSP.
19- let's say Las Vegas (LAS)
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And once again continuing on.....

The next four quiz items have a time line of 1982......

24. This airline was only serving two destinations in Alaska in early 1982. Name the air carrier and both destinations. And here's a hint: one of the destinations wasn't Fairbanks (FAI).

25. You've been visiting with friends all week in Palm Springs when someone says, "Hey, let's have an adventure this weekend! Let's go ride the Wine Train in Napa Valley!" Well, this sounds like a great idea.....and, of course, your friends then ask you to make the airline travel arrangements. So you've now identified the closest airport to Napa, California that has jet service. You and your friends will depart PSP at 3:30 pm and arrive into this northern California airport at 5:25 pm with one stop being made en route. Identify the airline, the stop, the airport you will arrive into and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

26. You've successfully concluded your business in Oklahoma City and have now been invited to join friends for dinner at Muriel's Restaurant on Jackson Square in the French Quarter of New Orleans. Ah, here's a convenient direct flight from OKC to MSY which makes one stop en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the equipment. It wasn't Southwest, Braniff or Continental and the stop was not made at DAL or DFW. Aircraft was a 727 and first class was available on this flight.

27. You're back in New York City when the phone rings: "Hey man, I have found the perfect monohull sailboat for sale that we've been searching for! Can you go take a look at it? I'm home in Santa Barbara and am tied up on another deal!" Uh huh....and you wonder what her name is. So where is this perfect sailboat located? "It's moored at that old marina near the Aloha Tower Marketplace in Honolulu! When can you get there?" Is there a big rush? "Not really....our man over there says he will hold on to it until we make a decision". So with this in mind, you book a seat in first class on board a direct flight you've heard about that makes three stops en route. Identify the airport you will depart from in the New York City area, the airline, all three stops in order and the aircraft type.
Just four three left above here.....

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 24, 2019 at 11:27 am Reason: answer update
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Continuing to continue on.....

The following quiz items both have a time line of the fall of 1996.....

31. If you wanted to fly from London City Airport (LCY) nonstop to Eindhoven (EIN) in The Netherlands at this time, what airline would you call and what type of aircraft would you be flying on? It wasn't VLM, KLM City Hopper, Flexair, CityJet or AirUK. The aircraft was a Fokker F50.

34. Only one air carrier was operating jet service from Cardiff (CWL) in Wales at this time with only one nonstop flight a day. Name the airline, the aircraft type and the destination served by this flight.
And just two to go here.....

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 23, 2019 at 12:25 pm Reason: answer update
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
5- there are a few Florida possibilities; about the only remaining one on the Chicago end of the trip would be Cincinnati (CVG)

19- let's say Las Vegas (LAS)
5. Correct! The Eastern timetable doesn't list the arrival times at Chicago Midway or Cincinnati for EA 121 which departed Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) at 8:00 am and arrived into Miami (MIA) at 1:55 pm. It does list departure times of 9:00 am from MDW and 11:00 am from CVG. This Electra flight also featured "Golden Falcon" service with breakfast being served on the MSP - MDW leg and lunch being served on the CVG - MIA leg.

19. Well, I was wondering if someone might mention Las Vegas....but nope!
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
5. It's 1960 and you are in Minneapolis. You're off to Miami and will be flying in first class with this daily flight making two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the aircraft type. It was Eastern operating an L-188 Electra. The first stop was MDW. Still looking for the second stop which wasn't SDF, ATL, MEM, IND, PIE or BNA.
I’d suggest MCO as I know Eastern was big there, but back in 1960 I’m thinking it was still just swamp, as Disney World didn’t open until ‘71. I seem to recall a considerable presence between Washington/NYC and Florida, so how about DCA for the last stop?
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by strickerj
I’d suggest MCO as I know Eastern was big there, but back in 1960 I’m thinking it was still just swamp, as Disney World didn’t open until ‘71. I seem to recall a considerable presence between Washington/NYC and Florida, so how about DCA for the last stop?
Oh, I see it already got posted while I was typing.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj
Oh, I see it already got posted while I was typing.
Yep!
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
31. If you wanted to fly from London City Airport (LCY) nonstop to Eindhoven (EIN) in The Netherlands at this time, what airline would you call and what type of aircraft would you be flying on?
Let\s try a wild guess of Air UK
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Let\s try a wild guess of Air UK
31. Please guess again, sir!
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Alas, Thomas Cook Airlines in the UK and Europe has gone under

https://www.pprune.org/airlines-airp...l#post10576687

The merging together in recent times of so many European holiday airline names, including several of the onetime subsidiaries of national carriers. BEA Airtours, later British Airtours, later again Caledonian, from BA. Condor, from Lufthansa. Scanair, from SAS. And a whole host of other names that had been rolled into the organisation.

Unfortunately, as with a number of other merged corporations in recent times, buying up all these companies was with borrowed money that somehow has to be paid back, with interest. So while the basic business can be rolling along with airline operations and hotel contracts, it gets swamped with the ability, or inability, to pay those financing loans back.
Looks like this shut down of Thomas Cook takes 34 aircraft out of play, being 27 A321s and 7 A330-200s.....
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA
Hello from Newcastle, North-East England, where I arrived by train this evening for a business event tomorrow. I came by train. By the time you have got over to Heathrow, and come in from Newcastle airport, with just five flights a day instead of trains every 30 minutes, it's the better way. A few years ago Easyjet did London Stansted to Newcastle several times a day on an A320 which always seemed well-filled, but although you will find plenty of Easyjet aircraft based at both places nowadays, that particular route is no more.

Bonus question : Which airline had its operating centre here in the 1960s, then in the 1970s changed its name.

Looks like this shut down of Thomas Cook takes 34 aircraft out of play, being 27 A321s and 7 A330-200s.....
Possibly 63, plus they had several A320 contracted from the Eastern European charter companies full time that takes the number up close to 70. A bit complex because they have several different names they trade under in Britain, Germany, Scandinavia etc https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...s/mt-tcx/fleet
Old Sep 23, 2019, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
9. (1967) It's time to go sailing! You are in Dallas and your old sailing buddy has just docked his catamaran at Freeport in the Bahamas. And there just happens to be a direct daily flight from DAL to FPO which makes two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the equipment.
This airline is no longer in existence

I'm surprised that this one has sat unanswered for so long amongst such a well read group of OAG enthusiasts. In thinking about what nonexistent airline served both DAL and FPO in 1967, only Eastern comes to mind. As to the aircraft, I can't see EA running a 720 into FPO in 1967, so let's go with a 727-100 routing DAL-ATL-MIA-FPO.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
25.You've been visiting with friends all week in Palm Springs when someone says, "Hey, let's have an adventure this weekend! Let's go ride the Wine Train in Napa Valley!" Well, this sounds like a great idea.....and, of course, your friends then ask you to make the airline travel arrangements. So you've now identified the closest airport to Napa, California that has jet service. You and your friends will depart PSP at 3:30 pm and arrive into this northern California airport at 5:25 pm with one stop being made en route. Identify the airline, the stop, the airport you will arrive into and the aircraft type.
25- I don’t believe Sonoma County Airport (STS) in Santa Rosa saw jet service that early (in fact, I think it began within the past year or so, with the appearance of Embraer 175s in Alaska, American, and United livery), and I believe the first scheduled jets into Concord (CCR) also arrived very recently (ERJ-135s operated by JetSuite X), so Oakland (OAK) was probably the arrival airport in question ... I’ll offer that the flight was a Pacific Express BAC 1-11 that made a stop at San Jose (SJC)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.