Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

MCO-JFK flew over some sort of green crater - what is it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond

A few days ago I was flying AA from Orlando to JFK and somewhere probably before Raleigh-Durham, I was admiring the beautiful coastal scenery and towns when we flew over this bit of land. It looked like a crater with loads of green colouration. Couldn't get my camera out in time to get a shot of it.

Does this ring a bell for anyone as it looked stunning the way the sunlight was hitting it?

Did ask a member of the cabin crew who asked the pilots and they said we were near Raleigh but that was a few minutes later so could have been closer to Savannah or anywhere in that area really.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:45 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
You could do a search on Flightaware.com for your exact flight and its path, and try to find features on google maps.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I found at least 3 lakes in North Carolina that match in part but most of the photos aren't taken at the right angle or even off the ground so it's difficult to tell. If push comes to shove, I'll fly it again
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:03 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
There are a lot of quarries in NC - perhaps it was an abandoned one that the overgrowth has started to take over.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 3:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Right near Raleigh is Jordan Lake. I don't suppose it looked like a large lake, did it?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 6:11 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
Right near Raleigh is Jordan Lake. I don't suppose it looked like a large lake, did it?
Also Falls lake is in that general area too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.