Room upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Room upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: HyattG, Hilton Honors, Wyndham Reweards, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards, FF programs
Question Room upgrades

Is there any secrets to getting complimentary room upgrades?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:06 am
ixs

Programs: Many
Yes.

Concentrate on one hotel chain and only sleep there.

Spend enough nights with them to get top-tier status in their loyalty program.
At this point, upgrades should be rolling in nicely.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:09 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
Originally Posted by ixs
Yes.

Concentrate on one hotel chain and only sleep there.

Spend enough nights with them to get top-tier status in their loyalty program.
At this point, upgrades should be rolling in nicely.
exactly!
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:19 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Although the first response is an accurate response another potential way might be to ask for a specific location in the hote.; if it's a high-rise ask for a room as high up as possible or one with a city/water view. This won't necessairly get you a bigger room, but it might get you something some deem more desirable. It may result in the clerk telling you that those rooms cost extra, but then you can just say you'll stick with what you have and play it like you didn't know those rooms cost extra (and they won't in all cases).
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by misswisconsin44
Flashing the FD clerk could work, depending on the genders involved. The wrong gender combination, however, could get one arrested, which would generally result in downgraded accommodations.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 2:33 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I think in addition to what has been said already, you will get the best service if at some hotels if they know you are a regular customer. We were staying at one hotel for fifteen Sunday nights in a row, all on priceline for half to a third of the going rate. By the third week the people at the counter recognized us, and the rooms started getting better and better, eventually ending up with corner suites on a regular basis (they actually apologized in a snowstorm saying sorry, we are packed tonight, can't move you up).

Another way, which so many people overlook here, is to ask at checkin. Many hotels have moved to a pay for a upgrade scheme, but if you hit somebody in a good mood, they may bang a few keys and move you up.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
What is your idea of an "upgraded" room? Bigger, higher, quieter? A suite? Dual bathrooms? Remodeled?

Ask for what you want specifically. I like high-floor rooms, and even though some chains now try to charge more for them online at time of booking, I have never had a problem getting it for free by asking.

Suites are another matter, but they can sometimes be had for the asking too. Just be polite and don't act entitled.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 3:29 pm
ixs

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by BearX220
Suites are another matter, but they can sometimes be had for the asking too. Just be polite and don't act entitled.
This sounds to me a bit like these "be dressed smart and just wink at the gate agent and enquire about an upgrade" suggestions.

They might have worked in the past, they basically do not work any more.

Revenue management has taken over and upgrades need to even survive an audit in some hotels. A lowly front desk clerk is not going to go through the hassle of explaining the upgrade for a random person. If he's actually allowed/able to offer an upgrade at all.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ixs
Revenue management has taken over and upgrades need to even survive an audit in some hotels. A lowly front desk clerk is not going to go through the hassle of explaining the upgrade for a random person. If he's actually allowed/able to offer an upgrade at all.
Explain that to the dude at the Renissance in Houston who earlier this year, just for fun, boosted me into a two-story presidential suite with a spiral staircase leading to the sleeping area.

And I don't even care that much about room upgrades, as they all look the same when you are unconscious, which is how I spend most of my hotel room time.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by misswisconsin44
A Warm Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Booking through a third party that features an upgrade included in the rate.. for example, www.perfectescapes.com , or a virtuoso agent will get you amenity inclusions like the upgrade on availability, breakfast, amenities, parking, free night, etc.. depending on the package you're booking..

Often you can sign up free into the Hotel Loyalty Program at the Hotel you're staying at.. that would include inclusions i.e. health club, breakfast, internet.. If you make a request on your reservation as a loyalty member requesting for an upgrade, the hotel will take note of this before checking you in.. and the possibility of an upgrade increases all the more..

Letting the front desk or hotel manager know that you are arriving will also help increase the chances of an upgrade.. If you have employee contacts at the hotel, that's certainly a sway..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.