Wiki Posts
Search

Coconuts [seeking packing advice]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2011, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold GUF Thai Airways Royal Orchid
Coconuts [seeking packing advice]

Would a coconut burst or leak if you put it in your hold luugage?
I'm really enquiring as to the various rules that carriers, countries or states have about this just whether my clobber will get ruined.
I have a hankering for some freshly made rum cocktails
Old Nov 2, 2011, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Where are you taking this coconut to?

You might not be allowed to take it into the country. We got two tomatoes and a lemon taken off us when entering the US.....they were bought just over the border in Canada as well. We were allowed to keep the lettuce however.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Executive, Marriott Gold, Priority Club Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Seeing as you can mail a coconut with just its outer shell through the US postal mail system without any packaging/wraping(It's true!), my guess is it’s going to be fine, even if you just have the inner seed in your luggage it would take a lot of pressure to crack it, have your ever tried to open one without mechanical means?, its tough.

My guess is your main issues are going to be with the country custom’s law in importation of fruit/seeds if your crossing international territories while bring those coconuts back, not with how you are storing/transporting it.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

I'm thinking of setting up a fresh sweet-coconut import business in Europe so I need to know if the hold pressure will burst or split a coconut
Old Nov 3, 2011, 1:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by Sid James
I'm thinking of setting up a fresh sweet-coconut import business in Europe so I need to know if the hold pressure will burst or split a coconut
There's "off-topic" and there's "off-topic". If you're setting up a business importing coconuts, I'm not sure this is the place to do your research. However, in the spirit of FT, this seems interesting;

http://www.tis-gdv.de/tis_e/ware/nuesse/kokos/kokos.htm

Also, I would guess the import is quite highly regulated, so your local agricultural department might have some more information.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:08 am
Original Poster

I'm only kidding about the import business. I'm being very cheeky & want to bring a few home so I'm wondering out them bursting in the hold
That site is a mile of info but does directly annswer my question
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Importing anything fresh into the UK is a minefield. If you get caught by Customs and haven't declared or complied they will seize them and may well fine you.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:54 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Hahaha. I thought this thread was about something else

I've known people to bring export-approved (i.e. treated for insects, parasites, etc.) pineapples back from Hawaii all the time without any problems. I'm sure your coconuts will be fine.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 4:29 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
AFAIK: Pressure (or lack of) won't be a problem for two reasons:
1. I believe that the hold is pressurised (otherwise pets travelling in there might get a bit uncomfortable... and I remember the cause of a crash a while ago was the hold door wasn't shut = drop in pressure in hold which 'sucked' the cabin down, rupturing to fuselage)
2. cocnuts are very strong!

As for legality:
importation of fruit, or cheese, or honey, or you-name-it = hmmmmm
better check with the country .
Old Nov 3, 2011, 4:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hold pressure is indentical to cabin pressure. A circular pressure vessel is much easier to construct than one with a flat floor.

If you are worried about your nuts leaking then just put them in a zip lock bag before packing them in your suitcase.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Silver, FB pleb, BMI pleb,
I know of a couple of green coconuts being mailed from Trinidad and making intact to an oil rig in the North Sea!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by ANAmateur
If you are worried about your nuts leaking then just put them in a zip lock bag before packing them in your suitcase.
That's very good advice indeed. Nothing worse than leaky nuts.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:47 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by NeverFirst
Nothing worse than leaky nuts.
You'd know Dear.

Wouldn't it be simpler to buy Coconut milk, or easier yet eat a Bounty bar?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
You'd know Dear.

Wouldn't it be simpler to buy Coconut milk, or easier yet eat a Bounty bar?
Or just buy one from Tesco......you can even buy them here for the extortionate price of £4 a kilo. I just stick to rum and coke instead.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 4:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Would a coconut burst or leak if you put it in your hold luugage?
I'm really enquiring as to the various rules that carriers, countries or states have about this just whether my clobber will get ruined.
I have a hankering for some freshly made rum cocktails
Sid James and a lovely pair of coconuts? What a carry-on. Are you having a larf?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.