Travel sites or travel agents?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel sites or travel agents?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by blahter
Some TAs have access to consolidator/special fares which can sometimes be cheaper. I actually helped a friend that was doing this for a certain airline & city pair a few years back and the price we charged was at least $200 cheaper than the lowest published fare.
Good to know..

Would TAs generally have access to consolidation fares?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Good to know..

Not all. From what I've seen it's mostly TAs that have special relationships with specific airlines.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by FrogProf
Personally I still book international tickets through local agent cause they are cheaper.

Cheaper than on-line travel sites? Cheaper than buying direct from the airline? How is that possible??
IT IS POSSIBLE

Some TAs have access to consolidator/special fares which can sometimes be cheaper. I actually helped a friend that was doing this for a certain airline & city pair a few years back and the price we charged was at least $200 cheaper than the lowest published fare.
Good to know..

NO, you need to deal with destination specific TAs

Not all. From what I've seen it's mostly TAs that have special relationships with specific airlines.
YES

You need to deal with TA that sells large volume of a specific airline to a specific destination.

Example: TA sells 20,000 tickets with one airline specifically aaa-bbb, then the TA is in a position to negotiate their cost per ticket form the airlines wholesale, some of these tickets will not earn FF awards for the flyer. They either benefit from the escalated commission due to volume or commit to a certain number of tickets per year

My example: When I fly to HKG I deal with a TA in DTW who has the best DL fares to HKG. When I fly to MNL I deal with a local Filipino TA who works with a TA in LAX.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
If air travel were part of a perfect world, well I could surely live without my travel agent.

That said, the more "miserable" an experience air travel becomes, the more I need my agent. Flight cancelled at the airport ? Wait on line with 100 people or more to "see a customer service agent ?" No way in hell, for me a quick call to my agent who quickly reaccomodates me on another flight, that is a service from him I cannot live without.

Penny wise, pound foolish ? I'm no internet idiot!

Worldspan
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tentseller
IT IS POSSIBLE

NO, you need to deal with destination specific TAs

YES

You need to deal with TA that sells large volume of a specific airline to a specific destination.

Example: TA sells 20,000 tickets with one airline specifically aaa-bbb, then the TA is in a position to negotiate their cost per ticket form the airlines wholesale, some of these tickets will not earn FF awards for the flyer. They either benefit from the escalated commission due to volume or commit to a certain number of tickets per year

My example: When I fly to HKG I deal with a TA in DTW who has the best DL fares to HKG. When I fly to MNL I deal with a local Filipino TA who works with a TA in LAX.
Whilst I suspect that may be how it ultimately works (high volume), my TA is very low volume, but does a fantastic job at getting discounted (by a good amount in most cases) business and first airline tickets. I suspect he has a network of other TAs and they work together, because he certainly doesn't sell large numbers to a specific destination.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by emma69
Whilst I suspect that may be how it ultimately works (high volume), my TA is very low volume, but does a fantastic job at getting discounted (by a good amount in most cases) business and first airline tickets. I suspect he has a network of other TAs and they work together, because he certainly doesn't sell large numbers to a specific destination.
Ahhh! Networking (the human to human kind), works for all businesses.

Yes when a TA has been in the business and networked with other TAs long enough they will know who they can get low cost fare from and the seller will know who they are dealing with.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by worldspan
If air travel were part of a perfect world, well I could surely live without my travel agent.

That said, the more "miserable" an experience air travel becomes, the more I need my agent. Flight cancelled at the airport ? Wait on line with 100 people or more to "see a customer service agent ?" No way in hell, for me a quick call to my agent who quickly reaccomodates me on another flight, that is a service from him I cannot live without.
That's exactly when a travel agent comes in handy - when you have a problem.

As the owner of a travel business, I'll throw in my .02 - although I am not a retail travel agent. I operate group tours but when a friend wants travel assistance, I always help.

A former co-worker contacted me a while ago seeking vacation advice. I spent a considerable amount of time putting together a well-thought out response with a number of ideas. Never heard from him again... until he had a problem with the trip he'd booked for himself. When things go wrong, it's your travel agent that can help you, not Expedia or Travelocity.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ShopAround
That's exactly when a travel agent comes in handy - when you have a problem.

As the owner of a travel business, I'll throw in my .02 - although I am not a retail travel agent. I operate group tours but when a friend wants travel assistance, I always help.

A former co-worker contacted me a while ago seeking vacation advice. I spent a considerable amount of time putting together a well-thought out response with a number of ideas. Never heard from him again... until he had a problem with the trip he'd booked for himself. When things go wrong, it's your travel agent that can help you, not Expedia or Travelocity.
I didn't realize that TAs helped out in stressful situations.. Lets say this happens after hours (flight cancellation or delays).. Am I able to contact a TA 24/7 via toll free?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 3:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
I didn't realize that TAs helped out in stressful situations.. Lets say this happens after hours (flight cancellation or delays).. Am I able to contact a TA 24/7 via toll free?
I have my agents cell and he encourages me to contact him yes, 24/7 for any kind of situation that arises. Ultimately he is an advocate for me and does all the "dirty work" for me while I just back and relax and attend to other matters.

As air travel becomes more "broken" he becomes even more valuable to me than ever before

Worldspan
Old Oct 14, 2011, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a 24/7 contact number, I suspect that whilst not toll free, I could reverse the charges if I wanted to.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
One of my best friends is a travel agent and her clients can call her 24/7... and they do.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by worldspan
I have my agents cell and he encourages me to contact him yes, 24/7 for any kind of situation that arises. Ultimately he is an advocate for me and does all the "dirty work" for me while I just back and relax and attend to other matters.

As air travel becomes more "broken" he becomes even more valuable to me than ever before

Worldspan
I have a 24/7 contact number, I suspect that whilst not toll free, I could reverse the charges if I wanted to.
Originally Posted by ShopAround
One of my best friends is a travel agent and her clients can call her 24/7... and they do.
Sound slike this service and access is invaluable.. especially on rtw where multiple segments can go wrong.. hence the domino effect..

On an FFP, I imagine I would be stuck dealing with AE.. but on a paid rtw, or transatlantic flight.. it sounds like booking with a knowledgeable TA has its benefits.^
Old Oct 17, 2011, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I second the suggestion that complex itineraries, group trips or other situations where you want personalized hand-holding throughout the trip warrant using an agent. Regular domestic itineraries generally do not.

I will add another item to consider - some agents have access to special programs that an orbitz.com or expedia could only dream of.

I am a travel agent - and we have access to special upgrade programs on a number of airlines that allow you to buy coach and fly business or buy business and fly first. Most corporate agencies do not have access to these programs.

If you're a frequent overseas traveler, have some fare flexibility, and want to sit up front most of the time (if space is available) without cashing in your miles, these programs are for you.

We also have access to special 'waiver' desks at many large airlines - some are more generous than others, but we can overbook space, waive advance fare requirements, get seats unblocked, etc.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I second the suggestion that complex itineraries, group trips or other situations where you want personalized hand-holding throughout the trip warrant using an agent. Regular domestic itineraries generally do not.

I will add another item to consider - some agents have access to special programs that an orbitz.com or expedia could only dream of.

I am a travel agent - and we have access to special upgrade programs on a number of airlines that allow you to buy coach and fly business or buy business and fly first. Most corporate agencies do not have access to these programs.

If you're a frequent overseas traveler, have some fare flexibility, and want to sit up front most of the time (if space is available) without cashing in your miles, these programs are for you.

We also have access to special 'waiver' desks at many large airlines - some are more generous than others, but we can overbook space, waive advance fare requirements, get seats unblocked, etc.
What do you think of FFP reward redemptions mini-rtw?

Seems hairy enough for me to try and book one, let alone trying to endure one..

Sounds like I should pay my way and get some assistance.. at least the first time go around..
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:43 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Some consolidators (actually, most of the better ones) deal only with travel agents. They hate dealing with the public and are more just volume-oriented ticket generators. They make their money on volume. So they leave the interaction with the customer, which usually takes a lot of time, to the retail TA. The retail TA then goes through the consolidator, who gets discounts, large commissions and/or favorable fare rules due to the volume they produce.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.