Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Huge difference in pricing by switching flight directions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Just checking airfare from LON-ATL and out of curiosity I reversed the trip (ATL-LON) and was shocked at the price differences!

He had told me the flights were cheaper but for some reason I assumed it was better search, catching the sale, or discounted through his company...

Now I would love to know what makes a RT flight to the UK nearly $200 higher than a flight to the US...... (and yes this is all in costs).

mods- please feel free to move this as I am at a loss exactly what to file this under....
Old Sep 14, 2011, 4:40 am

Hi

I don't think you will ever get a satisfying answer to that question.

Airline fares in many markets are not set on a pure cost basis, they are set on what the market will pay.

In this case you have found that the fare from the US to London is more expensive than v.v.

Earlier this year i bought a ticket from KUL to LON in business at about 75% of what it would of cost in the other direction.

Star Alliance and One World round the world fares vary depending on where you start to travel from. i believe in some cases it worth taking a flight from the UK to another point to start a round the world trip as the fare difference is so much.

In the old days airlines issued published fares in something called NUC's (not sure if they sill do). This was a common currency that was used for the calculation of multi sector fares. If you had a complex routing you could calculate the fare in NUC and then convert it to the local currency. But what you could never do was to take the fare in the wrong direction than the passenger was travelling. Example London-Lagos would not be the same as Lagos to London. I guess its all to do with what people will pay.

Alex
Old Sep 14, 2011, 5:04 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
it occurs on domestic as well as intl......

op....is the fare code the same in both directions?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 5:38 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
It sometimes varies between booking websitesbased in different countries as well. I remember that a few years back expedia au was around 25% cheaper from expedia uk for exactly the same flights.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 7:50 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Are you looking at the same dates, just switching directions? If so, it could be simple economics in that the the ATL-LON flights are fuller on the day you're looking than the LON-ATL.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:09 am

This is quite common on international routes, particularly if traffic flows are not even (e.g. for a trip AAA-BBB, if significantly more people are starting trips in country A than country B).

For a while my work was taking me to Bahrain somewhat frequently (pre-revolution attempt), and J class BAH-US-BAH was about half that of US-BAH-US, so after my first trip I just started to book trips ex-BAH. Even better for me, the fare rules for even the cheapest J fare were more flexible ex-BAH, allowing for date changes without a fee (the cheapest ex-US fare was a discounted fare with some fees attached), so I didn't even need to know when I would be returning; I would just book a random date for the return segment (since I couldn't leave the return open), and then change the date once my plans were firm. And on my final trip I was even able to cancel the return and get a small amount back as a refund between the r/t and o/w fare.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by clacko
it occurs on domestic as well as intl......
Yes and no.

Domestic fares (in the USA) are generally symmetrical. That means a fare published between AAA and BBB can start at AAA or BBB and price the same, assuming the inventory is available. Most international fares are asymmetrical. This means that CCC-DDD is often priced differently than DDD-CCC, even for the same inventory bucket. That is why you are seeing a price difference between ATL and LON depending on where you start.

Look at the different fares published by DL in that market:
Export from Wandering Aramean Travel Tools
Code:
Flexible Fare Search -- ATL-LON roundtrp for date range Sep-Mar on carrier DL -- Delta Air Lines
Carrier|From |To   |FareBasis |Fare      |Min   |Max       |Adv. Purch|Earliest  |Latest    |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |ELP80US%2F|USD$ 551  |sunday|6months   |7days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |TLXP47US  |USD$ 707  |sunday|12months  |7days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |TLWP47US  |USD$ 748  |sunday|12months  |7days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |ULXP47US  |USD$ 756  |sunday|12months  |7days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |TKXP47US  |USD$ 789  |sunday|12months  |7days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |ULWP47US  |USD$ 797  |sunday|12months  |7days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |LLX7AP    |USD$ 798  |sunday|12months  |7days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |TKWP47US  |USD$ 841  |sunday|12months  |7days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |KLX7AP    |USD$ 850  |sunday|12months  |7days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |UKXP47US  |USD$ 851  |sunday|12months  |7days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |LLW7AP    |USD$ 859  |sunday|12months  |7days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |QLX7AP    |USD$ 904  |sunday|12months  |7days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |KLW7AP    |USD$ 912  |sunday|12months  |7days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |UKWP47US  |USD$ 913  |sunday|12months  |7days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |KKX7AP    |USD$ 933  |sunday|12months  |7days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |QLW7AP    |USD$ 966  |sunday|12months  |7days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |QKX7AP    |USD$ 987  |sunday|12months  |7days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |KKW7AP    |USD$ 994  |sunday|12months  |7days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |HKX7AP    |USD$ 1045 |sunday|12months  |7days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |QKW7AP    |USD$ 1049 |sunday|12months  |7days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |QLX3AP    |USD$ 1088 |sunday|12months  |3days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |HKW7AP    |USD$ 1106 |sunday|12months  |7days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |QLW3AP    |USD$ 1149 |sunday|12months  |3days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |HLX4AP    |USD$ 1157 |sunday|12months  |3days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |HLW4AP    |USD$ 1218 |sunday|12months  |3days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |QKX3AP    |USD$ 1233 |sunday|12months  |3days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |QKW3AP    |USD$ 1295 |sunday|12months  |3days     |          |          |
DL     |ATL  |LON  |HKX4AP    |USD$ 1303 |sunday|12months  |3days     |          |          |
Powered by The Wandering Aramean Travel Tools. Click for your free account!

Export from Wandering Aramean Travel Tools
Code:
Flexible Fare Search -- LON-ATL roundtrp for date range Sep-Mar on carrier DL -- Delta Air Lines
Carrier|From |To   |FareBasis |Fare      |Min   |Max       |Adv. Purch|Earliest  |Latest    |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |TLXPRGB   |USD$ 165  |sunday|3months   |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |ULXPRGB   |USD$ 215  |sunday|3months   |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |TKXPRGB   |USD$ 216  |sunday|3months   |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |TLWPRGB   |USD$ 231  |sunday|3months   |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |THXPRGB   |USD$ 250  |sunday|3months   |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |UKXPRGB   |USD$ 265  |sunday|3months   |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |ULWPRGB   |USD$ 280  |sunday|3months   |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |TKWPRGB   |USD$ 281  |sunday|3months   |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |UHXPRGB   |USD$ 299  |sunday|3months   |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |THWPRGB   |USD$ 316  |sunday|3months   |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |UKWPRGB   |USD$ 331  |sunday|3months   |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |UHWPRGB   |USD$ 365  |sunday|3months   |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |ULXSXUK   |USD$ 419  |sunday|12months  |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |UKXSXUK   |USD$ 476  |sunday|12months  |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |ULWSXUK   |USD$ 485  |sunday|12months  |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |LKXAPGBW  |USD$ 541  |sunday|12months  |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |LLWSXUK   |USD$ 551  |sunday|12months  |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |KLXSXUK   |USD$ 567  |sunday|12months  |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |LKWSXUK   |USD$ 607  |sunday|12months  |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |KKXSXUK   |USD$ 624  |sunday|12months  |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |KLWSXUK   |USD$ 632  |sunday|12months  |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |QLXSXGBW  |USD$ 664  |sunday|12months  |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |KKWSXUK   |USD$ 690  |sunday|12months  |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |QKXSXGBW  |USD$ 722  |sunday|12months  |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |QLWSXGBW  |USD$ 730  |sunday|12months  |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |QKWSXGBW  |USD$ 787  |sunday|12months  |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |HLXPXUK   |USD$ 796  |sunday|12months  |seerules  |          |          |
DL     |LON  |ATL  |HLWPXUK   |USD$ 861  |sunday|12months  |seerules  |          |          |