Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Rollerboards with wheels out in overhead bin. Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rollerboards with wheels out in overhead bin. Why?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by Allan38103
It's an overhead compartment, people.

If it fits wheels facing in, stow it that way.
If it fits wheels facing out, stow it that way.
If it fits either way, stow it that way.

Other FTers don't really care.
I absolutely agree but some flight attendants are very serious about which way to put it in.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Or just please pay the fee and check it.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Michael El
Couldn't one just gate check without a fee..

or rollerboards considered special equipment?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:13 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by caspritz78
I absolutely agree but some flight attendants are very serious about which way to put it in.
The bins are narrower at the back, and generally speaking, the top of the rollaboard is narrower (or at least a little more curved) than the bottom where the wheels are (especially when you have a 4-wheel-drive roller like I do.

My experience is that many passengers will try to put it wheels-in (because the movement is more natural), and when it doesn't fit, they default to sideways.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 4:15 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Sorry dude, but I carry about $3000-$4000 worth of computer and camera equipment in my carry-on. It WILL NOT leave my control, not by checking, not by gate checking, during the flight.

And I'm at the low end; there are plenty of people who carry on tens of thousands of dollars worth of business-specific tools and equipment with them.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Sorry dude, but I carry about $3000-$4000 worth of computer and camera equipment in my carry-on. It WILL NOT leave my control, not by checking, not by gate checking, during the flight.

And I'm at the low end; there are plenty of people who carry on tens of thousands of dollars worth of business-specific tools and equipment with them.
If the Rollerboard is worth say $2K, even $500.. I'd say carry it on with you, and make sure its well protected..

Check the rest of clothes and luggage.. but special equipment like video camera and computer stays where I can keep an eye on it..
Old Sep 14, 2011, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager

That's cool. So the people who are just carrying spare undies should check their bags.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
That's cool. So the people who are just carrying spare undies should check their bags.
It's just common sense. You can't have everybody carrying on everything. Nor should you expect no one to carry on anything. The answer is in the middle, but most people go to one extreme or the other.

I check a bag, and I carry on a bag. My carry-on, I'll admit, is on the large side - it's a 21" roller. But it fits in the overhead without turning it sideways, with the wheels toward the bulkhead and the handle toward the aisle. It keeps my camera and computer gear relatively safe during the flight (compared to the gaunlet that's run by checked bags), and I'm also as considerate as possible when I carry it aboard, put it in the overhead, and remove it.

I have read a lot of venting on FT about people doing inconsiderate, rude, even dangerous stuff with carry-ons - bumping others, moving others' stuff aside for theirs, dropping heavy bags on strangers' laps, asking others to put your bag in the bin for you because you packed it too heavy to lift above your head, etc. And even before I started coming to FT, my own inbuilt common sense and common courtesy prevented me from doing any of those things.

Which brings me back to the original topic of this thread, which is roller bags in the overhead with the wheels out. My take on that is simple - put your bag in the overhead in the manner that makes it A) fit most efficiently, B) ensures that it doesn't prevent others from putting their bags in, C) doesn't prevent the door from closing, and D) takes the least amount of time to put it in prior to takeoff and take it out after landing. With my carry-on, this means putting it in the bin straight. Mine will fit with the wheels in or out, so it doesn't matter, but for quickness I always put it in with the wheels in and the carry handle out.

Seems like a lot of analysis for something that is so simple and basic. But then, people always seem to screw up the simplest things in the worst ways.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caspritz78
rollerboards where suppose to be put in the overhead bin with wheels facing out (towards you)
many planes do not accommodate allowed carryon luggage that way
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:24 pm
Suspended

It's just common sense. You can't have everybody carrying on everything. Nor should you expect no one to carry on anything. The answer is in the middle, but most people go to one extreme or the other.

I check a bag, and I carry on a bag. My carry-on, I'll admit, is on the large side - it's a 21" roller. But it fits in the overhead without turning it sideways, with the wheels toward the bulkhead and the handle toward the aisle. It keeps my camera and computer gear relatively safe during the flight (compared to the gaunlet that's run by checked bags), and I'm also as considerate as possible when I carry it aboard, put it in the overhead, and remove it.

I have read a lot of venting on FT about people doing inconsiderate, rude, even dangerous stuff with carry-ons - bumping others, moving others' stuff aside for theirs, dropping heavy bags on strangers' laps, asking others to put your bag in the bin for you because you packed it too heavy to lift above your head, etc. And even before I started coming to FT, my own inbuilt common sense and common courtesy prevented me from doing any of those things.

Which brings me back to the original topic of this thread, which is roller bags in the overhead with the wheels out. My take on that is simple - put your bag in the overhead in the manner that makes it A) fit most efficiently, B) ensures that it doesn't prevent others from putting their bags in, C) doesn't prevent the door from closing, and D) takes the least amount of time to put it in prior to takeoff and take it out after landing. With my carry-on, this means putting it in the bin straight. Mine will fit with the wheels in or out, so it doesn't matter, but for quickness I always put it in with the wheels in and the carry handle out.

Seems like a lot of analysis for something that is so simple and basic. But then, people always seem to screw up the simplest things in the worst ways.
From my perspective, I don't change my packing habits just because something is free to carry on and it costs to check bags in..

The only factor I weigh carefully is if the luggage being checked is over the weight limit, and if I have to pay huge money to have it checked..

I find some of these stories hilarious where passengers are bringing packed to the hilt carryons just to save some coin. Do everyone a favour including oneself.. pay the fee and properly have the bags checked, to those who want to save coin and carryon luggage that can be barely carried on..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.